“Accommodating staff, pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Advanced Purchase offer
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Provo
Payson
“Accommodating staff, pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

When I checked into the Provo Marriott to attend a conference, I found that my roommate had arrived before me, and was given a room with a king bed and pullout, instead of the two-bed room I had reserved. Being a bit on the older side, I wasn't sure how my back would fare on a pull-out. Seeing my hesitation, the staff member immediately offered to change us to another room, and called my roomie to let her know.

Perhaps the original room would have been fine. I can't say without having seen and experienced it. I appreciate the staff member for sensing my concern about the pull-out bed. The new room was the last one along the hall, so the walk to the elevator was long. I brought along a cane in case I needed it for jaunts across the hotel from one conference suite to the other--it's a large convention. I did use the cane once during my stay.

One thing that puzzles me about upscale hotels as a class of accommodation: you usually have to search to find unused electrical outlets, and the ones available for guest use are generally few in number. In this era of electronic devices, I have learned to travel with my own power strip so that I have sufficient outlets for everything I need to plug in near my bed, including my CPAP machine--a must-have item.

Fortunately, my roommate had sharper eyes than I, and pointed me to the room's outlet above the second of two telephones (this phone didn't work, she told me, but I never tried it). I had to stretch behind an odd configuration of desk/shelf to find an outlet to plug in my computer the one time I used the desk to write.

It would be lovely if hotel architects designed for the outlet that works off the light switch to be the bottom one of the pair, so guests could use the top one for their plug-ins, instead of struggling to reach around the lamp cord to use the bottom outlet. I know. This isn't the hotel's fault.

Actually, the quibble about electrical outlets is my only complaint about my stay. The room fulfilled my five basic needs: clean, comfortable bed; outlet near the bed; clean, working bathroom; good climate control; and working Internet access. The Internet is not free in the rooms, but the conference I attended had arranged for free access in the conference areas. Only once did I have a problem connecting, but with 450 attendees plus hotel guests, I cut them a little slack on that.

I don't generally need an upscale room for travel housing, but I do like to be in the same facility as the event I'm attending, so I don't pinch pennies too tightly when I'm choosing my destination hotel. There are exceptions, but this is the general case. The Provo Marriott is pleasant, and sharing a room is fine, so with no major aggravations, I had a good stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
gmprovomarriott, General Manager at Provo Marriott Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and your well thought out response. At the hotel we treasure guest's comments as it helps us become a better hotel. I've taken your suggestions and have spoken to the team to see if we can better highlight the location of the electrical outlets.

Thank you for the kind words on the hotel. We strive hard to make all guests feel welcomed.
Best
John Garfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

When I think about Marriott, I would expect a perfect room but in reality it's not up to the standard. There is no kettle in the room, and they have even run out of hotel slippers! I had to wear my sport shoes all the time which was very incovenient. The coffee maker is full of dust and stain!

However, the hotel is situated at good location and Hertz is located just in the lobby which makes convenient for hotel guests to rent cars. There is also Smith's supermarket in just 10 min walk. In addition, the staffs are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This Marriott is staffed by very friendly people but the rooms are disappointing. Worst feature: noisy A/C unit under the window, reminiscent of Holiday Inns in days gone by...

The best feature: interesting restaurants on University Ave a block away. We highly recommend Communal--great farm to table cuisine well prepared.

Hotel choices are a bit bleak around here, I guess.

• Stayed April 2013
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The staff is friendly, the newly redone hotel is open and inviting. This is the best hotel in Provo that I have found to date. It is also within easy walking distance to downtown restaurants and shopping.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Marriott lives up to its reputation here in Provo. It is a very clean and well managed hotel. The staff are friendly and I've only had good experiences here over the last few years. The rooms are simple but just what you need.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a really nice hotel. Their is a starbucks in the lobby as well as a restaurant and bar area. It's great for business or when travelling alone because you feel welcomed wherever you are. The lounge has some fresh baked cookies at night, which is welcomed for me, a person who is always on the go. There is no liquor in the lounge, but the breakfast there well makes up for it! The rooms were very comfortable and well kept.

Room Tip: Try to get on the executive level to get the breakfast in the lounge, otherwise it's ala carte i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
gmprovomarriott, General Manager at Provo Marriott Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dana B.

Thank you for your insight and positive review. I'm glad to see that our guests are having a good experience while at the hotel. Sorry that we don't offer liquor in the concierge lounge as there are some local restrictions; however, we hope to get that changed. Until that time we have an amazing bar located in lobby where you can get a drink. Once again thank you so much for all of your kind words and if you are back in the area I hope you continue to choose the Provo Marriott.

Thanks
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I live in Provo, UT and this is the best hotel in town by a long, long ways. I write this because I know when I am traveling it is so difficult to know which hotels are good and which are not. SO as a resident of the area and an individual who spends a lot of time in conferences in hotels or overnight for travel in one hotel or another - the Provo Marriott is the best in Provo. It has the most amenities, the best service, the best proximity to great downtown restaurants (all within walking distance), and by far the best value. To me it is head and shoulders above all the other hotels in town...I can't even believe the Provo Marriott is sometimes priced below other hotels in Provo because there is not even a comparison.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your positive comments and insight. We agree with you and hope that others feel the same. Since the renovation the overall guest response has been very positive the majority of time and our results reflect that change. I'm also very luck to work with an amazing team that truly cares about the guests and their satisfaction. I'm glad you recognize that as well. Once again, thank you so much for your kind words
John Garfield

Been to Provo Marriott Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!