“It's a place to sleep-kinda.” 2 of 5 stars

You added City Center Motel Provo to your Saves list
150 West 300 South, Provo, UT 84601   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Provo B&B and Inns
The O.C.
“It's a place to sleep-kinda.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I usually stay at the Days Inn up the road closer to BYU, but this being the week that the BYU students were returning up there or going up with family, and with almost EVERY hotel/motel booked solid, I turned to Priceline and found this motel. The sidebar said, "3 left at this price!". Well, there's ALWAYS a vacancy there, but the price was ok (compared to the other motels/hotels in the area), appx $185 for 3 nights including city tax.
Thank goodness for Travelocity reviews so I could go there prepared!
We couldn't just pack up and leave if we didn't like the place or the room because the town was bursting, so we made the best of it.
When we got there, the staff seemed pleasant enough. Not rude, just a nice kid.
The rooms have old-fashioned locks and not the electronic carded ones. We were in room 102.
In a previous post from August 1st 2012, jla2784 stated that at this facility, the room's bed had bedbugs.
I looked up how to spot them, looked through our bed COMPLETELY when we got there, nary a sign of 'em, but we STILL put blankets and things down on top of the coverlet, just in case. We brought in our own pillows, too.
(BTW, a little interesting hint to kill bedbugs on-site, but it doesn't work on cold days; put all the linens that have them into a car trunk and LEAVE them in there for about 4-5 hours. The temp inside the car and trunk gets VERY high and will kill the critters.)
Our room was bottom floor very close to the office, and had just been kind of 're-done' i.e. tile floor, new shower/bath enclosure, new garish paint, but I'll tell you, I could see the signs of trouble all over.
There was a gaping square hole in the wall between the bedroom area and the bathroom, and mostly covered up by a piece of plywood. If you looked up to the ceiling corner area, you could SEE that there had been considerable water damage and that's why they had to replace the entire tub/shower area.

We thought we'd get certain things, based on the room descriptions. We DIDN'T get:
A table (all we got were 3 chairs, NO table);
A towel bar (we did get the little things that a towel bar WOULD go into-luckily I brought some over the door plastic hooks for our stuff);
Decent air conditioning-the controls stayed at 69 and that was IT-no more cold air (but no one turned it off during the day, which was good);
Electricity in the outlets in the bathroom. Sure, there were outlets, but no electricity. We had to dry our hair using the big mirror by the entry and since there was minimal lighting on that side of the room, we'd have to guess when doing our hair at night.

Some thoughts on the room:
The refridgerator worked well enough, kinda looked a little seedy on the outside but was perfectly clean on the inside, kept stuff cold. The freezer part didn't work so we put our waters in there;
The microwave was small and low powered, so you had to heat things at 'time and a half' vs. the regular instructions, but it was clean;
The coffeepot was small, your usual motel coffee pot, it wasn't plugged in where it sat in the entertainment center/dresser, so we had to pull it out and put it on the floor to make coffee;
The bathroom had NO counterspace, just a cabinet under the sink (we put our toiletries in a folding box on top of the toilet);
The lighting was UNACCEPTABLE-there were two lamps on one side of the bed closest to the bathroom-a wall lamp for reading and a bedside table lamp that took up the whole bedtable space. There was NO lamp on the other side of the bed and the little dinky lamp that was on top of the TV center didn't work, so half the room was in darkness.
Since there wasn't a table, we had to put all our electronics (laptops) on the floor next to the TV center. The bedside table was taken up mostly by the one table lamp but we managed to put the cell phones on there to charge.
The other side of the bed closest to the window not only didn't have a lamp on the wall but also didn't have a bedtable, so I used one of the chairs.
The third chair was an office swivel chair.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm just trying to objectively review this property based on what I've experienced in the past at various other facilities. I KNOW I've stayed in worse, but i don't remember when.
THE FACILITY:
There was coffee in the lobby in the mornings BUT you had to get there really really early, because by 9 AM it was all gone.
The motel I guess is used for some families on welfare or foodstamps or relief, because there were people staying there for awhile. Some folks would go out and smoke everyday and hang out in one place, some folks would take their kids and do wash (I don't know where, I really didn't feel like looking for it), so when other reviewers stated that there seemed to be some disreputable people hanging out in the parking lot, it's because people live there. The motel is in a horseshoe anyway, with the parking lot in the middle, so it's not like people come off the street and hang out.

The cleaning lady was VERY nice. She didn't speak any English, but we communicated.

We did luck out, though-we were very graciously allowed to stick around until about 1:30 PM, loading up our cars and stuff. To do a little payback for this kindness, I put all the towels together on the floor and the linens in a pile on the bed, just to get everything set up for this nice cleaning lady.
There was an ironing board, iron, clothes hangers and hanger bar, shelf above the bar, lots of space closet-wise actually for putting stuff to the side.
It's a practice there that they don't come and clean the room UNLESS you ask them to-I guess people complained that stuff was being taken and they didn't want that kind of liability, so as long as we knew ahead of time, we were ok with that. We'd see the cleaning lady and hit her up for more towels and more coffee makings, plus we could always go to the office, a whole 50 feet away!
The price quoted on Priceline was $65. I think that may've been steep by $15+ because we DID get a coffeepot/microwave/refridgerator but the lighting in the bedroom and the lack of space in the bathroom were sub-par.
I'd go back, if I couldn't find anything else, now that I know what to expect (and what not to expect).

Room Tip: It's probably a good idea (and is a good idea ANYWAY, no matter where you go) to get a room clos...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

6 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights. I rented for a week. I woke up with hundreds of bedbug bites (found when we removed bedding, actually saw tons of them) Owner accused us of bringing them with us and then offered to switch our rooms. When we demanded a refund we received only partial. Staff was rude. Owner was a jerk. Room had bugs. Need I say more??

• Stayed August 2012
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The air conditioning was shut off during the day (when I requested that it be left on, I was told the management told the room attendants to turn off the air conditioners in the rooms, even when they were booked for that night). The beds were hard.No quilted pads or pillow top mattresses there! The bottom sheet was not fitted and came untucked when you got in bed, and the sheets had several burn holes. There was no hot water for showers for 2 mornings. There were no amenities in the room, no coffee pot, no lamps. I asked for a lamp, and was told a lamp would not be available until the next night. That lamp had a broken switch, and I was told to just plug it in and pull the plug to turn it on and off. The swimming pool was empty and barricaded behind a fence along with three barking dogs and five old water heaters. We told the manager there was no hot water the first morning. He said that was impossible because the water heaters were new, but that 5 guests had checked out by 7:30 and that was why there was no hot water at 8:15. When we left early after again no hot water, the wife scolded us for not reporting the hot water problem before, as they could not get a plumber there over the weekend! But they seemed to have an on-site handy man who was apparently installing laminate flooring in one of the rooms on Saturday morning. He had gotten the broken lamp for us, and spoke to us every time we came in or out of the room.
On Friday night about 10 or 10:30 there were about 10 people who had pulled chairs out of a couple of rooms and were barbequing and drinking in the parking lot! Our room was so hot from the air conditioner being off all day that we wanted to have the door open for a while, but did not feel safe doing so with a party going on downstairs!
We were booked there for three nights, but had to leave after two nights of no sleep and no shower. No refund on rooms booked through the airline! They offered to change rooms, but there was no difference in the room, the beds, or the bedding! An expensive lesson, but but worth the days room rate just to get out of there! This is a motel I would pay not to stay in!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Panguitch, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

The location is central to downtown Provo but the immediate surrounding area is a little dicey. Very plain, old motel. Room was just adequate with hard surface floor and a run-down kitchenette. Bathroom was old but mostly clean except for a filthy shower curtain that kept me from taking a shower. However, the bed was comfortable and it was quiet at night so I slept surprisingly well. When the key didn't work the young man at the desk was very helpful in showing us the trick to getting the door open.

Since all we needed was a place to sleep it sufficed and for $45 what do you want? Certainly not a place for a vacation night.

We couldn't find any place nearby for breakfast and ended up on State St. close by in Orem at Joe's Cafe. Highly recommend that. Great breakfast and Joe is an absolute delight.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Goodyear, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Every where you look is very dirty. The tub was so dirty that we refused to use it. The bathroom smell of urine. The phone is sticky and dirty. The carpet is not fit for human habitat. The public toilets in the rest areas are much cleaner and smell better than the bath room in this hotel. We were so tired after driving for 14 hrs we tough it out for a few hours of sleep and got out of the room as fast as we could. This place is a negative star, far from a 2 star.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to City Center Motel Provo? Share your experiences!