“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Provo
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? We arrived late on a Thursday night after traveling 15 hrs from WA state. It was hot and at that point we wanted to shower and go to sleep. We got to our room and did just that. We put the air conditioner on and it was blowing warm air so we figured we just needed to let it run for a bit to cool off. Well that didn't happen. We had a long, hot miserable night. First thing in the am we went to the office and spoke with the manager about it and the first thing she says, in a very rude tone, is that we were the first ones to ever complain about it all summer and that she would have her husband check on it. So we left to go to BYU to get my son set up for school, leaving the AC on to show him it wasn't working properly. We come back 5 hrs later, go up to our room and its still the same. It's still running but no cold air! We go back to the office and ask if he's checked it and she said yes that he fixed it. We told her we went up to check and its like we left it. She got very defensive and told us her husband said he fixed it and didn't know what to tell us. We told her it wasn't fixed and asked her to come up to our room to see for herself. She said she couldn't because she can't walk up the stairs. At that point we told her to switch us to another room that the ac worked or we weren't going to stay the next night that we planned to and would like to be refunded. She had the nerve to tell us that she didn't have another room and since at that point it was past 11:00 am that if we were to do that we'd only get refunded half! Are you kidding me? We told her first thing in the morning!! She then gets on the phone with the her maintenance guy and told him that her husband checked it but we were still complaining to go check it out. Instead of arguing with her we left AGAIN to give them another chance to fix it. Three hours later we return and they are replacing the AC! My husband goes back to the office and asks her if she would compensate maybe half of the previous night because it is in the contract that says AC is provided. We obviously didn't have it plus all the inconvience we went through to prove to her that it was broke. She said no! We have never been treated this poorly at a hotel! They were extremely rude!!! I guess you get what you pay for! So people if you have to pay an extra twenty or thirty bucks for a hotel, do it! Do not waste your time at this place! It was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!! And oh by the way, the Internet sucked as well!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Provo, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great internet, good access from the freeway, very clean rooms and not bad for the price we paidI had to work near the downtown area and this motel was in the right location. Not to much traffic..I like the way we received the newspaper every morning and the friendly staff.

Room Tip: Up stair rooms are very quiet and a very good view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Provo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

i have never stayed in a hotel that did not have a glass of some sort.it had a coffee maker but no coffee,the towel rack kept falling off the wall and the walk way and stairs were disgusting.i would not go back ever.,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

st. catharines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Check in person was disorganised and had to keep leaving to check with his parents about rates and availability. The room itself was spacious and spotless, fridge , microwave we had everything we could have wanted.
Only thing I would do next time is to get an upper level room as we had someone we nicknamed "heavyfoot" above us and until they settled down we did not settle down. I don't care if this mean taking all the bags up stairs.
Continental breakfast was a joke but we were only passing through. Rates were good so if in the area I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Id like to address some of the remarks by others because I don't find this motel so objectionable.
yes the @#^* road construction in Provo makes it an issue. especially if you are heading north. take that first exit off the freeway onto the old highway into the south end of Provo and then turn on center street westward and you will go right to the motel. If you are unsure about my directions call the motel and have them tell you where to turn. don't go by your gps because it won't know the road is torn up. if you dont you will be forced to zip right by the motel and go all the way to the next town before you can double back! but that is not the motel's fault!
Someone said they wouldnt change rooms for you.. they changed it for us! We had booked one online and it gave us upstairs, I fell in vegas and hurt my knee and they let us have a downstairs room and did not charge us any different and we got no arguments about it. you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar!
Yes, the older generation of the family that runs the motel are not originally from this country, so they do have accents, but I have stayed there quite a few times and Ive never had a problem communicating. They were NEVER rude to me. maybe you were rude to them? cranky from driving all day? The kids however were raised here and they speak english just like everyone else does. If you can't understand the parents, ask for one of the adult kids! also... they were very helpful to me when I was trying to figure out the stupid road construction problem, how to get back over to Freedom Boulevard to go to Denny's and how to get back onto the freeway headed north. It isn't real close to restaurants, other than the sandwich shop across the street and I think there is a McDonalds west a few blocks toward the airport.
Noise on the street? not so much. what do you expect next to the freeway?
Most of the rooms are just fine. They are clean, do not have bed bugs, the beds are comfortable and they have good tv selection, hbo, refrigerators, hair dryers, and all the usual toiletries like shampoo and soap etc. They have a hot tub, although sometimes it is not as hot as I personally would like it. sometimes it isnt on. if that is important to you then ask. If you want a good price on any Econolodge you need to go get a reservation online before you leave home. Provo is a college town and if there is a game going on there will be high demand and you will pay more for a room. it is still less than most well known chains.
About that stomping around upstairs... damn! were you there about the 29th of June 2012? I think the same guy was above US! either that person weiged 400 lbs and was mentally challenged or they are keeping a gorilla in that room! lol. but you are right.. it stopped at bedtime anyway so we didnt complain. I suspect that if one had complained the management would have done something about it.
Just in case it IS some person who stays there all the time, then I suggest asking for a room on the far north end of the motel (nearer the street) or on the south wing. the room stomper when we were there was above the next to the last room on the south end.
oh and the breakfast... yeah it was about the worst example of a continental breakfast I have ever had, but I got my juice and coffee and a breakfast roll and it was enough to tide me over til I got down the road to lunch. If I have to choose between a fancy breakfast and a good bed give me the good bed any day!

Room Tip: no matter what motel or hotel you stay at ALWAYS ask to see the room before you accept it. They want...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for one night the end of August. I was a little leery about staying here due to some bad experiences at other locations. I was surprised at the room - very nice - spacious - clean. Plenty of room to put things - dresser - armoire - counter that had mini fridge and microwave underneath. I was really impressed. Wifi worked great. Very quiet and right off the highway.
Didn't have any of the breakfast but noticed it was very minimal. I really wouldn't have a problem staying here again.
Cons: The toilet whistled after flushing and the heater didn't work. A/C was fine but not the heat part. We did report it on the maintenance form that was in the room - maybe it will get fixed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

One thing, because of the construction, it was a little difficult getting to. The motel itself was okay, except it is a two story. Whoever was above our room had a child, lord I hope it was a child, that sounded like wild houses stomping around and maybe jumping off of the bed. The rooms were good. Clean and everything, but it was just the running around upstairs that ruined it for us. Although, I have to be fair, that it stopped before we drifted off to sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Provo? Share your experiences!