“Big Winners ... sort of” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1800 Park Avenue, Park City, UT 84060   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay More, Save More
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Park City
“Big Winners ... sort of”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband won a ski trip from a local radio station ... so we were off to Park City, UT for 4 days/ 3 nights a few months later. The value of the trip (what we had to claim on our taxes) was in no way what we received in activities/accommodations BUT hey, we WON a trip we never could have taken. We travelled February 25-28th, 2013; I was unable to put our actual dates so did Feb 2014 for those familiar with the weather at time of year, or not, and will understand what we endured.

Our trip allowance for lodging was $1200 so I was super excited to see where we would be staying but the Park City Chamber of Commerce booked everything for us and we had no say. I was thinking that even at $325/ night plus taxes we would have reservations at a really nice property; upon checkout I was given a copy of the bill and the total was $423 total. I have to say we were expecting something fanastic but upon receiving the confirmation for the hotel and some research later, we found out the Yarrow would be our hotel.

The hotel seemed ok but nothing great. With that being said though, some of the staff were wonderful! At check-in (early check-in which usually is an additional cost but the fee was 'waived'), we were given our room keys with directions where to find the room and bid farewell.

DISCLOSURE TIME: We are from Houston, where the land is flat with less than 50 feet above sea level and travelled some where high in the mountains at 7000+ feet above sea leve, seeing the mountains was definitely a major interest of ours but on the downside, breathing was extremely difficult.

Our room was up the elevator, down a hall, turn a corner, go down another hall, another corner and you get the point... far from the front of the hotel. Our room was adequate, a bed, sofa, TV, bathroom and bonus, a balcony but wait double bonus our view was of a brick wall. Bummer.
After deciding we should have a better view and realizing they did not give us our welcome package from the PC Chamber (our tickets, money etc) we made out way back through the maze and to the front desk. I asked for the package (which they claimed they forgot even though there was a reminder on our reservation screen- the one they look at to check us in- nevermind it had $300 in it for us) and a room closer to the elevator with a view of something other than a wall. I told them we were from Houston which is f-l-a-t and waking up the mountains everyday would be awesome for us. We were granted the transfer at no addtional cost. The remainder of the stay at the hotel was fine, nothing really amazing for breakfast (vouchers given to us by the Chamber so at least it was free), there was a leak in our bathroom which was patched poorly but worked and then any other issues we had had nothing to do with the hotel but our ignorance of travelling to high altitude desinations (we suffered terrible altitude sickness, horrible).

I would like to add that there were two concierges, one male & one female, who made our trip extremely enjoyable. They gave us insights and secrets that we would not have known about otherwise. We loved them!! I even tried to get them to come visit Texas!

Final disclaimer: I work at a hotel and mentioned it to the staff and feel should I not have said anything our stay would not have been the same.

Room Tip: When asking the hotel for a different room/ view is always ok. The worst they can say is no and typi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear KRJS57,
Than k you for staying at Yarrow hotel. I understand you did not make this choice but it seems that for the most part you liked our staff members. It is sad to see that they did not notice a note in your reservation indicating that you have a package/amenity. You mentioned you work at the hotel and I am sure you would agree that in spite of all efforts and against all reminders we from time to time do make mistakes. I apologize sincerely that you did not have your package ready in and waiting in your room. I am surprised that you expected to need to pay for the better view. Here at Yarrow, it is our first concern that you are satisfied with your stay. I am glad your room transfer was satisfactory. I am sorry I did not get the chance to meet you during your stay. As much as I try to speak to every guest that checks in, i get convinced every day that i still miss a lot of guests. If I can be of any future assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Andreo Girardi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

stayed here last winter, and the location its awesome, close to markets, pharmacy, free bus route, it really could be better, BUT, the hotel is ok if your mind is set to just think of ir as a place to stay away from the snow and get some sleep, it old, the carpets smell a lot of humidity and the room feels outdated, its ok but not great. BUT as i was looking for this years upcoming winter, they just almost triple the highly rate, as if it was a 4 or 5 star ski resort, it is no WAY what you can get for the same money, so keep in mind that location its great, if thats what you are looking for, but you can take that same money and book somewhere WAY better.

i did have a good time, just spent time there to sleep, but last year i paid a third and considered a really good deal, not so any more once i know what i get for the money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Pgarpgar,

Thank you for the review. However, I feel I need to inform you why are our room rates more expensive compared to the last year. We are under the remodeling and by the time season starts, we will have brand new product that will be significantly better then the one you experienced when you stayed in December 2013. Also, when you look for the rates, please note that Sundance film festival dates have changed. If you are looking for the cheaper rates try to stay away from the second half of the January. I hope this helps and I hope to see you here again.
Darfur, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

They are in construction mode but we didn't hear noise, our room was clean, beds great and a/c worked and it's priced well. Shuttle out front to DT shops and dining establishments.

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel while traveling thru the area and we'd return again. I'm picky on the beds and cleanliness of a room.and this yarrow was perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hey Tanya,

Thank you for coming back to stay with Yarrow. I am glad your stay was satisfactory and I hope to see you again.

Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This hotel is under some much needed updating and reno, but we had no issues with construction or noise. We were in Park City for a show at the Deer Valley lodge, so the location was very good. Compaired to other hotels in town, price was great. We were only there for a short time, so were not interested in using the hot tub or other amenities that were closed for reno. We appreciated the Starbucks opened weekend mornings!! A great start to our day of traveling home.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hello Inkee,

Thank you for the review. I am glad you had a nice time in Park City and I sure hope to see you again.
Taylorsville, Utah, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Everything is so run down and old. When paying what you pay each night I would expect more. Staff is not very friendly, they keep to themselves which is not helpful when you are visiting. We were very disappointed. The hot tub and gym were closed which we had looked forward to using, the power was out for several hours (which in July is uncomfortable because you need the a/c), and the hotel flooded over night. We had hoped for a relaxing get a way and wished we had saved they money and just stayed home. We will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hi Taylor,
It seems that you expected newer product and more amenities. I apologize you did not find exactly that. However, reason we did not have all amenities you expected is because we are remodeling and soon you will be able to stay at the hotel that will look just as new. We have completed our model room so please if you are in the area (Seems that you are from Taylorsville), please swing by and take a look at the product we will have ready soon.
I am sorry that we lost power during your stay but I hope you know that we don't have any control over that. The power was down not only in our hotel but entire block was affected. Thank you again for review and I hope you will change your mind and give us another chance to serve you.
Loomis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Yes, the hotel is undergoing renovations. Yes the hot tub and fitness center are closed, as are the in house restaurant. The bar is open however. A disclaimer on Priceline would have been appreciated, especially after driving twelve hours. We were anxious to get into our room and settle in but the key was inoperative. Here is where they stepped up. We were given a nice suite and a promise of a future stay, which we will take them up on after the renovations. Good customer service in my opinion. I would have rated the place higher but it was undergoing major renovations.

• Stayed July 2014
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hey Dan,

I am glad you are satisfied with the resolution. Room 161 was much better that your original one anyway. I expected to receive your email today but I haven't seen it yet. Please send me your contact. Thank you for the review.
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Understand, as a relative local, I didn't expect a lot from this hotel. I'd been here for Sundance Films a few times, so I knew by the lobby and other areas this wasn't luxury.

However, I'd won a free night at a business event, and we decided to make a day of it, escaping the heat of Salt Lake Valley. Plus, lucky me, I had a Spa Day planned in Park City.

My husband checked in, and unfortunately it had started raining, so his poolside time was cut short. Noticing that many rooms had balconies, and there were clearly many, many empty rooms, he inquired at the front desk about a change. He was brusquely told "not until after 8 pm, and there is an extra charge"

That apparently was the good part. While the room was relatively clean, it was in need of decorating help. There was a sofa, but no end table. The lamps all used the CFL bulbs, and while I am very eco-conscious and have converted my home to LED bulbs, the CFL bulbs do not allow anyone to read. Many hotels offer at least one reading light, but not this one.

The hot tub wasn't working for unspecified reasons, also a bummer.

The biggest challenge was the constant construction noise in our part of the hotel. Really? You had to put us where they were working--all day on Sunday, no less. A mostly empty hotel, and we had to have a crappy view, no balcony and listen to construction noise.

But, to top it all off, the construction crew set off the fire alarm about 7:30 pm. That was it--we'd had it, and decided to check out and head home.

Then it really got interesting. I'd been thinking we got less than great service as it was a freebie, but not so. The fire department arrived when I got to the lobby, and the front desk guy didn't even know the alarm had gone off--made me wonder overall about safety. I did confirm it, and the firemen had to wait about 10 minutes for the engineer to show.

Worse, while this was going on, the guy was giving a couple a very hard time about their reservation. It was showing, and the man had paid--possibly through Priceline. But, the desk guy was saying it didn't show paid, and he was insisting the only way they could get a room was to pay $40 more for the room and pay the whole thing up front.

I told my clerk why we were leaving, and he was actually pretty nice. I also told he and the couple that they needed to give that couple our complimentary room. I probably made them squirm, but they were treating that couple like dirt.

Our nice relaxing summer evening was a bust.

I will say that for a budget ski vacation, this probably isn't all too awful, but make sure you get a room with a balcony. Otherwise, it's dark, dank and not really pleasant.

Room Tip: Only get one with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Joan,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment at out hotel. Clearly, we could have done many things much better to meet your needs and provide better service. I wanted to use this opportunity to try to explain few things. I know that you are not seeking explanations but other site visitors might read this and get wrong picture about our hotel. While your assessment about some empty rooms might be correct, please know that we have amount of rooms on not rentable status due to remodeling. This would also explain the Hot Tub and fire alarm that sounded while we attempted to spray paint wall close to the smoke detector. Please accept my sincere apology and rest assured that your concerns will be addressed.
General Manger

Been to Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!