“Unbelievable--But Not in a Good Way” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Stay More, Save More
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Unbelievable--But Not in a Good Way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Understand, as a relative local, I didn't expect a lot from this hotel. I'd been here for Sundance Films a few times, so I knew by the lobby and other areas this wasn't luxury.

However, I'd won a free night at a business event, and we decided to make a day of it, escaping the heat of Salt Lake Valley. Plus, lucky me, I had a Spa Day planned in Park City.

My husband checked in, and unfortunately it had started raining, so his poolside time was cut short. Noticing that many rooms had balconies, and there were clearly many, many empty rooms, he inquired at the front desk about a change. He was brusquely told "not until after 8 pm, and there is an extra charge"

That apparently was the good part. While the room was relatively clean, it was in need of decorating help. There was a sofa, but no end table. The lamps all used the CFL bulbs, and while I am very eco-conscious and have converted my home to LED bulbs, the CFL bulbs do not allow anyone to read. Many hotels offer at least one reading light, but not this one.

The hot tub wasn't working for unspecified reasons, also a bummer.

The biggest challenge was the constant construction noise in our part of the hotel. Really? You had to put us where they were working--all day on Sunday, no less. A mostly empty hotel, and we had to have a crappy view, no balcony and listen to construction noise.

But, to top it all off, the construction crew set off the fire alarm about 7:30 pm. That was it--we'd had it, and decided to check out and head home.

Then it really got interesting. I'd been thinking we got less than great service as it was a freebie, but not so. The fire department arrived when I got to the lobby, and the front desk guy didn't even know the alarm had gone off--made me wonder overall about safety. I did confirm it, and the firemen had to wait about 10 minutes for the engineer to show.

Worse, while this was going on, the guy was giving a couple a very hard time about their reservation. It was showing, and the man had paid--possibly through Priceline. But, the desk guy was saying it didn't show paid, and he was insisting the only way they could get a room was to pay $40 more for the room and pay the whole thing up front.

I told my clerk why we were leaving, and he was actually pretty nice. I also told he and the couple that they needed to give that couple our complimentary room. I probably made them squirm, but they were treating that couple like dirt.

Our nice relaxing summer evening was a bust.

I will say that for a budget ski vacation, this probably isn't all too awful, but make sure you get a room with a balcony. Otherwise, it's dark, dank and not really pleasant.

Room Tip: Only get one with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hi Joan,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment at out hotel. Clearly, we could have done many things much better to meet your needs and provide better service. I wanted to use this opportunity to try to explain few things. I know that you are not seeking explanations but other site visitors might read this and get wrong picture about our hotel. While your assessment about some empty rooms might be correct, please know that we have amount of rooms on not rentable status due to remodeling. This would also explain the Hot Tub and fire alarm that sounded while we attempted to spray paint wall close to the smoke detector. Please accept my sincere apology and rest assured that your concerns will be addressed.
General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Front desk staffer Deirdre Laverty was the best thing about the hotel. The hotel itself is ready for it's upcoming remodel. I would have left if I hadn't been staying there for a conference located at the hotel. With great staff like Deirdre and their location, I can't wait to stay there after the remodel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have desks and others have tables. If you have need of one or the other, you need to ask...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hi Wendy,

Thank you for the review. It is super nice that you are writing about our service efforts. Deirdre is certainly one of the leaders in providing the exceptional service you were finding through the property. Good news is that our remodeling already started and while it could have impacted your stay, entire staff (and community) are waiting to do the same you mentioned in your email. They all want to see new and remodeled Yarrow product.
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Renovations are taking place in the building starting with the hot tub, (drained and out of order) and the workout room which is two machines at the moment, until there main room is re-done is limited. So that being said- its summer and this would be the season to deal with such things. The hotel is out of date, in serious need of new carpets, improved lighting, new furniture, new in room ac units and some new paint. Restaurant is closed for renovations as well. That being said - here's the good part... the service.

I actually found the service to be extremely helpful, as they were able to move us in early after our stay at another hotel. From the bartender to the manager, who helped me with early check in, All in all, I have to say the staff is exceptional and the management appears to be taking the necessary steps to improve the hotel in off season.

Dierdre (I believe is her name) was exceptionally helpful. Needing assistance photo scanning a project, she spent every effort to help me get it to a client. She made sure everything was done correctly. My partner found food crumbs in one of our beds, so apparently the beds hadn't been turned over. Mistakes happen. Dierdre immediately upgraded us out of the room, to a new suite. Again -exceptional service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear SFG,

Thank you for choosing Yarrow Hotel. Based on your profile, it seems that you are from Park City and most likely familiar with our property. We are certainly on the good way to change the look and feel of old good Yarrow. Soon, we will be able to provide superior product and improve our service as well. Than you for noticing service efforts of our management staff as well as line level employees. Please accept my apology if the renovations impacted your experience.
Brigham City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Received a great last minute rate on this hotel. Loved the comfortable bed and room. The night we stayed the parking lot was full of highway patrol officers-must have been some type of conference. We felt very protected! Within walking distance of old town. Staff was very friendly and helpful in locating the field where our grandson was playing Lacrosse. Would staff here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hi Kopilot1,

Please, allow me to thank you for the nice review. I am not sure when you stayed bud we did host several events for the Utah Highway Patrol Officers so I know exactly how does it feel to "feel safe". They are really just a nice crowd and we are always glad to have them at the property. Thank you for mentioning our friendly and helpful staff. That is one thing we have full control over and I am glad you noticed how nice they were. Please come and stay with us again.

Sparks, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Check in was easy. Room is spacious. Requested a frig and received it. Gym is under renovation and the space and equipment they allocated for working out is very poor. Spa is under reno, too. However, the hotel itself is looking a bit old.

When a friend was checking in and requested a room with 2 queens, she was met with extremely poor customer service - The clerk even questioned her parenting ability!

Location is good - walking distance to restaurants and grocery store. Also close to a running trail.

If I were to go back, I would look for a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Hey Sparks,

Thank you for finding the time out of your busy schedule to write about your experience at Yarrow Hotel. You noticed that we are remodeling and I am so excited to inform that the changes are going to be fantastic. I apologize that the renovation interfered with the comfort of your stay. We have made several changes in the staffing at the Front Desk and had refresher training session on check in and out process. Than you so much for pointing this in your review.
Pocatello
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel can't be beat. Walking distance to restaurants and grocery store. The hotel is dated, and half of it was under construction while we were there (no hot tub, restaurant, and part of the parking lot), we were not informed of this when the reservation was made. Some of the group I was with said their smoke alarms in their rooms went off for no apparent reason. The staff was very friendly. Would stay again if the price was right, but If I could find a better deal at another hotel I would probably try it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Hi JBY11,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Yarrow at Tripadvisor. As you indicated, we have the best location in Park City. You noticed that we are remodeling and we will soon show our entire new look. It was nice from you to comment on our well trained and very friendly staff. Sorry again if you expected more amenities but thank you for mentioning that you would stay again if the price was right. We are confident that after remodeling we will add so much value for your money spend that the price will be right and we will se you again.
Ontario, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is my second time staying at the Yarrow and both times have been really nice. Free parking, big king size room, and really nice staff. Restaurant and spa were under re-modeling so that was a bummer, but the bar was open and fun, and tender gave us a couple of nice recommendation for dinner. Great location and for Park City, very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Deluxe King room are great for size and comfort.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
gmyarrow, General Manager at Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Markj4golf,

Thank you for making us a part of your traveling plans and experience. Seems that this is actually a second time. It is nice to hear that staff gave you some alternative locations for your dinner during the time our restaurant is closed.
Andreo Girardi

Been to Yarrow Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!