“Need to be a mountain climber...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 59 hotels in Park City
Grand Rapids, Mi
“Need to be a mountain climber...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

In Park City on business, my husband & I stayed at Stein Eriksen for 3 nights as part of a large group. The location and view are outstanding, the staff is very accommodating, and the food was good. My only objection was that the place is virtually inaccessible from a disability standpoint; one has to climb stairs to get virtually anywhere on the property. The bellman who hoofed our luggage to our room acknowledged that there are only 3 elevators in the entire place, while all of the rooms I saw had exterior entrances and required climbing not one, but several flights of stairs in order to reach the room. Clearly, the hotel developer assumed that only snow skiers would be staying here.

Room Tip: If you are in any way physically challenged, be sure to ask about accessibility before booking a roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
York, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I booked two nights at the Stein as we were enroute to a more rustic hunt later in the week. We arrived early in Park City and were told the room would not be ready until their guaranteed arrival time of 4:00 and so we spent the day shopping and dining in Park City. Decided to drive over to the Stein at 3:00 and had a drink in the Troll Hallen while we waited. Very nice wine selections. Finally at 4:00 we were escorted to our deluxe king room with fireplace, jacuzzi in room and hot tub on deck. We had a lovely view of the ski slopes and the valley, and the yellow leaves were still on many of the aspens although everything else was bare. The room is large enough for two and we enjoyed the hot tub as the temperatures dipped into the 30s. The robes are wonderful and turn down service was a treat with everything laid out for us and music on the TV and the fire burning when we returned from dinner downtown. They run a shuttle downtown everything 30 minutes which is excellent and you can call for pickup. Off season rates made this a wonderful escape. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud! Perfect! We would return again!

Room Tip: We opted for deluxe king which is a bit more spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Beautiful location but unfortunately the experience ended up not being what my dear friend and I had expected when we planned a girls away weekend staying in supposedly the nicest place in park city. Even though I had called prior and asked about it again while checking in to check that we had a room with a view and both times been given affirmative answers, it was not so. In fact, it was probably the worst view one could ever have. There was no view at all because there was a tree right in front of the window and walls surrounding that and nothing but other houses and a walkway in between that. So disappointing! And even though I called reception right away they did nothing about it.

The room was not very big and felt closed in due to the fact that little light came the through the window. My favorite part of the room was the bathroom, which was up to par with the standard I expected.

The service in General was not impressive. For example, rather than at check in offer information to find our way around (it's a bit of a maze at first) to our room, the pool, gym, restaurant etc, we had to ask for all mentioned.

We enjoyed our stay and the area hiking but the hotel was a disappointment and I will most likely never go back, and I didn't think I'd say that based on what I've heard of this place before.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We only stayed one night/day at The Stein Eriksen on our way to the rest of our 30 anniversary trip. Met up with our daughter who had been there a week. IT was an amazing experience. What a beautiful place. All the staff want to make sure that your stay is exceptional. we had a wonderful breakfast overlooking the mountains! the food was outstanding! Best breakfast we have ever eaten. Who knew that breakfast could be so healthy, interesting and different, using the basic ingredients. I can only imagine what lunch or dinner might be like! We had a suite in the Lodge with a beautiful view. You can be sure that returning for a longer stay some time is now on our bucket list!

Room Tip: we were in the Lodge, our daughter in the newer area, both were super!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 9 year wedding anniversary and are 8 months pregnant with our fourth child. We were excitedly awaiting our over night stay at the Stein Eriksen! Everything seemed like it would be perfect! Grandma was scheduled to watch our three girls, and we had booked one of their specials with a private hot tub on the deck and breakfast in the morning. We were a couple looking for a romantic and relaxing evening away..and it never happened. The first problem was a lady from reservations called us the day before our stay was scheduled to confirm our reservation. She could see in the notes section that it was our anniversary, we were also on a "babymoon" as I am 8 months pregnant, and that I needed the hot tub on the deck set to no more than 100 degrees. She said that would not be a problem at all, and would be ready for us when we checked in. She also noted that our stay included breakfast. Then she dropped a bomb. We couldn't HAVE breakfast. And there was nothing she could do about it. Apparently I had booked our stay through an outsource agency, and because it wasn't DIRECTLY through them, we couldn't have the free breakfast, even though we paid for the package that included it. There was nothing she could do, but did we want to go ahead and book their breakfast anyway, at $35 per person plus tax and tip? Um, no. I don't want to pay for my breakfast AGAIN. Thank you very much. I had to call back the company the I had booked through, and apparently they wouldn't help them either. Thankfully the company refunded me $70 of my $470 bill that I had paid. But c'mon, you see that we are celebrating. You see I am 8 months pregnant. You see I booked a special that you are OFFERING ON YOUR WEBSITE. You can't make an exception? Seriously? Ok, whatever. I'll get over it. I am still excited to check in, and finally feel some relief from the pains of pregnancy by relaxing in the hot tub. My husband and I get there and check in. We arrive later (about 9pm) as we were having a great time in SLC. We bought dessert from a lovely bakery and decided to head up there and eat it in our "private" Jacuzzi tub. Ha. We check in. The people are very nice. The bellman leads us to our room, and was basically sprinting up the numerous flights of stairs that you climb to get to your room. This wasn't a big deal, but my husband had to ask him three times to please slow down as he had left us in his dust. I'll admit it, I waddle now! I can't help it. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but really? We have to ask three times for you to slow down? I just told my husband it wasn't a big deal and I would catch up! I did, and we entered our room. The room is beautiful, and so are the views. The bellman shows us around and leads us out to our deck with private hot tub that is SUPPOSED to be set at 100 degrees-it's NOT. It's set at 105 degrees. He did take the top off of the hot tub, turn the jets on, and set it to cool off. It did finally cool off to 100 degrees at 11:30pm! I'm exhausted, but still want to relax with my hubby in the hot tub, so we get in. And it would have been nice, if not for the chain smoker sitting out on the deck right next to us. After inhaling the second hand smoke for 10 minutes, we decide to get out and call it a night.

It's hot in our room. No big deal, we turn the air down and decide to open the door to our deck to let in some cool air. We both fall into a semi peaceful sleep. (is it possible to sleep peacefully at 8 months pregnant?) Suddenly we are awakened by loud and very drunk people partying on their balcony at 2am. LOUD, SCREAMING, LAUGHING, BURPING people. At 2am. My husband got up and closed the door and we could still hear them. I never did fall back asleep.

I laid in bed waiting for my hubby to wake up. He woke up and as a last ditch effort to try and enjoy some part of this stay we decide to try out the two person Jacuzzi bath tub in our bathroom. Surely this will be relaxing, right? WRONG. We fill up the tub and climb in. Ahhhh, peace. Until we realize you can't turn on the jets from inside the tub. No big deal, my hubby checks the nozzles to make sure they are pointing into the tub, gets out and turns on the jets, and they immediately spray, quite forcefully, EVERYWHERE except IN the tub! They soaked the ENTIRE bathroom. The walls, the floor, the toilet, EVERYTHING! We quickly shut them off, get out of the tub and start trying to sop up the mess. We used every towel we had, and they were all sopping wet and there was still more of a mess! At that point we decided we were ready to leave.

My husband called the valet service to ask them to bring up our car because we're checking out. We head down to the front desk where the nice lady asked us "Did you have a relaxing stay?" I just started laughing. It was either laugh or cry at that point. We drove away, and quite honestly, I have no desire to ever go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DBullert, General Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
There are only a few words for which I could express that would afford a sincere apology to the compounding issues you faced during your recent stay. I would like to thank you for allowing me to privately discuss and reconcile the situation. I hope our dialogue amended your perception of Stein Eriksen Lodge as well as shaped an opportunity for another future visit and a long and lasting relationship.
Dan Bullert
Hotel Manager
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Fantastic property that isn't your typical brand five star. It captures the flavor of the region and is so cozy and comfortable but with the finest service. Rooms were spacious, beds were comfortable and it had all the best amenities. Looking forward to going back during ski season.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Have stayed here 4 times at at The Canyons 3 and I give the edge to this resort for food and service as well as the location. All have been national sales conferences and this is a magnificent property with tremendous service

Room Tip: View of the mountains
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley? Share your experiences!