“WOW!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Midway, Utah
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

I recently stayed at Stein's for my birthday. The experience was perfect from beginning to end. All the staff from the front desk to the bell staff and valet were very accommodating and willing to help. The room was absolutely magnificent with very nice finishes and even a hot tub on the balcony! I would recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a great getaway.

• Liked — Very nice staff and lodge.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

The Stein Eriksen Lodge in my opinion still is one of the best at Deer Valley. Having stayed at the recently opened Sky Lodge on Main Street and experiencing the terrible service, it was a pleasure to be back here again.

I do think that the rooms need to be refreshed. They feel a bit weathered and the door to our room had a long vertical crack in it that let some of the light from outside creep in. That said, the room had a nice cozy feel. We love the wood burning fireplace and they supply you with all the wood you could hope to use during your stay. There is also bottled water available everywhere which is always a nice touch.

Breakfast was great, although I would have liked the option to have an omelet made fresh. Staff was good to excellent across the board. I had fell skiing the day previous and done a number on my left wrist and needed to wrap it the next morning. The front desk was out of ace bandages so I bought one in the store however when we returned from skiing there were two placed in our ski locker. Yes, tipping is perhaps expected but the ski staff deserve it. Many are college aged kids from various parts of the world and are just amazingly pleasant and helpful. You just can't beat having your skis and poles placed outside ready to go and having them carried back in after a long day. Not to mention they are more than willing to help you take your boots off and anyone willing to get near my feet deserves a tip.

The front desk upgrade is a bit of a sham, I would prefer the ski package to just have more options so you could pick the room you want instead of having to accept one room then see what upgrades are available. Although, they do handle it well and makes you perhaps think a better deal is being received having it done this way. We got in at 12:30pm and could check into our room right away which was excellent. We also had a late checkout and they were more than happy to make that available to us.

The only issue we had the whole trip was during checkout. Our baggage was not ready when our driver got there although this was resolved in just a few minutes. Very minor although at first I thought they lost our luggage somehow but that was more of a misunderstanding. Unfortunately I got a bit short with them before I realized it was more of a matter of getting our bags than trying to find where they were. Mea Culpa but they could have handled the situation better on their end as well. We had a lone ski bag loaded and was then asked if that was all we brought. A little more footwork on their end should have been done as the front desk knew what time our pick-up was scheduled and how many bags were in our room to be picked up.

Overall the Stein is still an excellent place to stay and my wife and I will be coming back each year at least once. It could stand to refresh it's rooms and perhaps be a bit more critical of it's staff but overall it deserves to be considered as part of an exclusive group of exceptional hotels.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Could use some updating
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
westchester county, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

I had great expectations for this hotel given its location and reputation but I agree with many of the recent reviewers....the experience was far from ideal and well below similarly priced properties such as the Four Seasons. The service was indifferent across the board....from the front desk staff to the ski assistants who always seemed to have their hand out waiting for a tip. The rooms were surprisingly outdated. The furnishings were very generic and the wall decor consisted of a framed poster. The sheets were Frette but for some reason (improper cleaning?) were as rough as sandpaper.....I'm not kidding. The bathroom was large enough but the layout was strange and there was not a separate shower enclosure. The room was quite small and dark as well with inadequate task reading lights.

I too got the up-sell at the front desk. It was all a bit cheesy. And I too had double billed charges that the hotel has admitted were incorrect but as yet have not been refunded. I'll issue a charge back through Amex rather than bother with the hassle of pursing the credit directly with the hotel.

I actually thought that the morning breakfast buffet was rather good and the bar menu in the lounge was good as well. I think this issue is one that has more to do with Utah and its arcane liquor laws that the bar itself but the size of the pour in cocktails was ludicrously light.

The layout of the lodge is awkward...it is somewhat like a motel with the guest having to walk outside from the lobby or restaurant to the room. Also, for a ski lodge I would have expected more common areas with fireplaces. There really was only one apart from the entrance lobby which is in a separate building from the restaurant, shops, bar, etc. Not a very cozy atmosphere.

The ski team was generally helpful but seemed overwhelmed at peak hours. The steady supply of water was welcome and the skiing conditions were amazing. The standout feature of this property is its location. Ski on and ski off and easy walking distance to Mariposa….where we had an excellent dinner.

Overall the staff, layout and rooms were far below expectation but to some extent the location makes up for this. Unfortunately one gets the sense that too many guests forgive the lodge its multiple shortcomings for its excellent location which has created a “who cares” attitude. Why try harder if we’re going to be fully booked all season anyway? Why invest profits into renovations? Why update the rooms? That approach may work for now but I’d hope that over time the bookings will shift to other properties like the new St. Regis that is being built.

• Liked — Location, breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — service, rooms, layout
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

Having dined in Stein Eriksen restaurant in the past with an excellent experience, we decided to stay there on a recent trip.

Big mistake. We are travellers that typically stay in the best places we can find in any city...chains such as Four Seasons, Park Hyatt and Aman Resorts. This hotel has the reputation as being one of the best...it is far from it.

First checking in was a major hassle. It seems the front desk has a bonus system to extract extra revenue. They stated that "management has requested that you get upgraded". They proceeded to explain the various room options (I guess they were not very full). When we expressed interest, they said "Oh, but there is a charge." How much? "Only $40...oh, excuse me, you have an Expedia reservation...for you it will be $80".

Can we see the rooms? "Sure..." We saw three different rooms that were all inferior to our originally reserved room (smaller, no views), except that they had fireplaces. We decided to stay with original room since we didn't plan on lighting a fire.

At 11:00 PM the neighboring room was occupied. Next problem. We could hear 100% of everything, including clear conversation, clear TV, etc. As we looked for the source of the clear sound, we discovered a 1/2 inch crack near the ceiling that went through to neighboring room. By 11:30 we decided we could not sleep with the neighbor's TV broadcasting clearly in our ears. We called to change rooms. "Sorry, all we can offer you is the upgraded rooms we showed you at the extra charge". No choice. We (angrily) took one. Nobody cared about the source of our irritation, nobody took us up on our offer to show where the crack was, nobody cared that we were visibly irritated and they claimed "we have never had such a complaint".

Next we needed to connect to Internet. In room directory states there is charge to plug in and connect. So we found hotel wireless connection. It has daily charge. We agreed to pay. Three days later we overheard a conversation between guests that plug in connections are free. We confirmed with front desk. Can we get credit for wireless since in room directory had misinformation? "No."

Breakfast buffet was very disappointing, inferior to lower rated hotels in the area. Dinner is still excellent, but there are now better restaurants in town. Location will always be excellent. Would we recommend? We will certainly recommend that people do not stay here. The only caring service is with the valets and bellhops, but even they are unprofessional for such a level hotel.

• Liked — Dinner, location
  • Disliked — Service, quality of rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Louis,Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

The Stein Eriksen has a Mobil 4 star rating and a AAA five diamond rating. I don't understand how this is possible. The lodge itself is "okay" compared to some places, but if you compare it to a Four Seasons,Fairmont or Ritz Carlton you will be very disappointed. The service is spotty and the rooms are in need of a creative makeover. When I checked in I was told that my room was not ready. I had confirmed a Luxury one bedroom suite. I had several conversations with reservations prior to arriving and upon arriving was told that it was a Luxury one bedroom suite with 2 queen beds and a rollaway. We waited for 4 hours only to find out it was not what was promised. The manager of rooms was very apologetic but could not change our room. We stayed in the room we were given and it worked out fine but it was disappointing to come to such a supposedly nice place and be let down. I have a feeling it was because we used AMEX points for our room and paid a little extra that we were given this room. Another note--I am a woman traveling alone with 2 children. I asked if another room opened up that I would be interested in taking it. 3 days later one did but it only had one bed. That will not work when mom is traveling with 2 boys.
The location of the hotel is excellent for skiing. The ski valets in the hotel are somewhat helpful, but we have had much more prompt and courteous service in other upscale locations. This was much more "do it yourself or have your ski instructor help you".
We ate at the breakfast buffet in the morning and it was great. The skiiers buffet was very good too. More than you could possibly eat in one meal. Troll Hallen Lounge was good for burgers.
The service in the room (cleaning and turndown) was not up to a five star rating. One day we came back at 1:30 and the room still had not been made up from the previous night. The room was clean but not spotless. I guess the maids do not remove dirty glasses as ours were left in the room until I finally put them on the room service tray the last day we were there.
The room itself had many small flaws that should be corrected. One hopefully was while we were there--our room door would not close unless you pulled it shut behind you. The maids did not. Our room was wide open when we returned from skiing the first day. I contacted the room manager and he said he would have it fixed while we were at dinner. Other small fixes that needed to be done--door to commode would not shut or open,warped, shower water leaked all over floor and wall by the shower was all water damaged,and toilet continued to run after flushing.
I really don't understand why stars-as in movie stars-stay at this location, but I'm sure the units that they are in are much nicer and the service for them is excellent.
We will being going back to Deer Valley next year and where to stay is still up in the air. I don't think we will choose The Stein Eriksen for next year since we need a 2 bedroom unit and cannot get stuck in something smaller.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

Our stay here was OK. It is overpriced although the setting is pretty, the lodge and the restaurant are really nice.

Problems we encountered: they charged us twice for our stay and refused to remove the charge after we pointed this out and spent time trying to 'prove' that this was the case. Eventually, our credit card company determined that they could not prove the charges (because they were wrong!) and removed it from our card. This process took about 5 months and was a hassle.

Also, when we checked in - there is not mention of things that you can do at the hotel. There was an outdoor concert the night we checked in and I believe Tony Bennet or someone like that was playing. It was a beautiful summer night and there was no mention of this upon checkin or when we spoke to the concierge about activities in the afternoon. Seems odd. We heard the music as we sat outside and ate dinner - our waitress told us.

To eat brunch on Sunday - arrive early - everyone from a tri-state area shows up (also not mentioned when we checked in) and there is no priority given to guests. This might not be so bad, except that this is really the only place to eat without driving in a car.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Excellent service but for what one pays to stay there, the rooms are nothing special.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley? Share your experiences!