“What you have read is all true” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Park City
NYC
“What you have read is all true”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is a great place for skiers and the whole of Park City is amazing. The service at the Lodge really sets a high bar for any hotel. From the front desk to the porters to house keeping. There is no break in the lines of communication and considering that this is all done in weather at -5 degrees it is impressive. Food is a bit expensive but the quality seems to make up for it. As advised rooms on the second level have a better view. But being exhausted from a day of skiing it is something I didn't necessarily miss.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

While I love to ski I happened to visit the Stein Eriksen in the summer. Our stay was wonderful!

The Stein is one of those properties I had heard about as a great luxury getaway since I was a kid.

In arriving was not wowed as it seems old, but it is old....

The service was great and for a winter vacation I really liked the foyer/lockoff configuration of the units. Essentially you can have four units with a shared foyer which would be great for extended families or groups of friends looking to vacation together but also looking for a bit of privacy.

The layout of the property is beautiful and the pool area had great service with staff to serve complimentary treats, towels and help with cleaning your sunglasses.

Everything was nice but I don't think I could justify paying their winter ski rates in comparison to newer properties.

Also my mom had to leave suddenly, sooner than expected. The cab to the airport was over $200! I realize it was a last minute but it seemed like too much money. Park City is far away I know but seeing as so many guests come in and out of the location you would think there would be more efficient means of airport transportation.

We went to Olympic park and did the Ziplines and Alpine Slide during our stay- it was awesome!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
East Hampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stein Eriksen Lodge is warm and welcoming in all ways. From valets to upper management the staff is happy to see you and goes above and beyond to make your stay truly 5 Star. We had the pleasure of staying in Luxury Suite 101-1, the luxurious king bed gave us the best sleep ever. There was a large Hot tub on our deck overlooking the slopes. My wife had a great massage in the spa. The heated outdoor pool was perfect!The food and service here are the best; we truly had our best meal ever in the Glitretind restaurant during our stay in January of 2013. Chef Zane Holmquist and his culinary team make every meal award winning, don’t miss Sunday Brunch! We will come back again!

Room Tip: Room 101-1 is ground level and next to the main lodge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed the day after Thanksgiving. The room was so well thought out, from the placement and number of amenities, bedding, turn down service with fresh hot chocolate, incredible dinner in the restaurant. The only glitch was their failure to deliver breakfast, but it gave us an excuse to leave and go into town. We are now trying to think up excuses to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

While I enjoyed my standard room and the service when I arrived was outstanding as well as the spa was wonderful there were too many other issues.
The first day and night there was banging in the room next to mine. I called the front desk the next morning to complain. The gentleman very coldly said that there was no one in the room next to me he knew for a fact and maybe next time I hear it I should call them to investigate. Obviously I was hoping not to hear it again. He was wrong as I walked out of my room there was a gentleman walking out of his room too.
Then prior to checking in I had concierge set up to pick me up from the airport and charge my room. No problem. So when I left I thought I would do the same thing, that it would be simple. Well it wasn't I got on the shuttle, and in front of all my peers the driver says okay you will pay cash, I explained I didn't have cash, I booked through my room and they were charging to my room. He said he would have to call the hotel even though we were sitting outside of it. As we left and started driving the driver says the hotel has no record of me. How funny is that; and that i had to give my cc in a van full of people over the phone to their shuttle guy. I gave him my cc and held back my anger.
Then I get an e-mail two days later saying they must have wrote down my card wrong and need it again, so I call and have to give it to the guy again, where I tell him how frustrating this is, and he didn't seem to care. Then to make it even funnier he e-mails me again and says he forgot to get the CCV number. Seriously at this point is it even worth charging me. I gave him what he needed and they charged my card for the full amount.
Then a couple days after I received an e-mail from Stein Erikson to fill out a survey, so I did and wrote all my complaints and then you have the option if you would like to be contacted about your survey, I said yes. I was never contacted.

Overall I would have likely given it a three or even a four or five if it weren't for all the issues, and continuous dropping of the figurative ball by so many. :(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

When you’re paying $900+ a night for a standard hotel room you expect perfection on all levels. This resort did not come close to meeting our expectations. When we got to the resort we were ambushed with 1 person asking to valet our car, 4 people asking to take our bags and 2 people opening the door for us. We were checked in quickly and the army of bellhops carried our bags to our room. We got to our hotel room and had a ground floor room that was underground! How does a hotel room charge $900+ a night for a room that looks at a concrete wall! The room overall was nice but nothing that justified the price tag. The room seemed to be recently remodeled but the windows and doors had a strong cold draft coming from them and the heater/ air conditioner was just terrible, it seemed to be 15+ years old. It was impossible to regulate the temperature in the rooms due to the cold draft coming from the window and doors, as well as the heated bathroom floors radiating so that you could not adjust the temperature. It was 85 degrees near the bathroom and around 60 degrees near the windows. The unit never shut off during our entire stay. On a positive note the housekeeping staff was very good and the rooms were very clean. Throughout our stay we found the amount of staff they had was just overkill. I understand the concept of top notch customer service but you don’t need 6+ people waiting at the front door to open the door for you or multiple people asking at the ski locker room if you need help putting my ski boots on. During my entire stay I kept thinking that the reason the rooms are so high priced is not for the quality of rooms but just the amount of staff they had. We are in our early 30s so maybe their clientele is an older group but it sure felt like I was back in the 80s with my experience.
Pros –
1) On mountain and less than 50 yards to the ski lift
2) Friendly Staff
3) Clean rooms and good housekeeping

Cons –
1) Extremely overpriced for the quality of the rooms
2) Excessive amount of staff that does EVERYTHING for you which gets very expensive with tipping
3) Not extremely impressed with Deer Valley ski resort compared to most of the other big resorts in Utah (if you like groomed trail skiing only this is the resort for you)
4) Food overpriced and mediocre.
5) They nickel and dime you when you check out! $3 a day for housekeeping, $10 for Bellhop fee, $25 a day to park! Who charges these types of fees when you’re spending $900+ a night on a room? Just ridiculous!

Again we are in our early 30s and we may not be the clientele but I would not recommend this resort to anyone my age.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Lodge for three nights and overall, it was a pleasant experience. Here's my take:

Positives:
- Location is absolutely beautiful
- Service is top notch
- Very comfortable bed
- Free shuttle service to and from Park City
- Fitness center, although small, was well equipped

Negatives:
- Room was just okay. My understanding is that there is a wide variety of rooms ranging from spectacular to 'just okay'. My room was dark and had no view.
- There is no bar to speak of. There is a casual dining area, but I just wanted to sit at a bar and have a glass of wine. I ended up sitting outside of the dining area, which was fine, but not the most comfortable.
- Speaking of the casual dining area, it was okay, but I would have expected more, especially since it was so expensive. For a $19 burger, I want it to be the best burger I've had. For the record, it wasn't.
- No place to buy minor incidentals (or at least I didn't see it).
- It's a work-out to get from some of the rooms to the main lodge. Although it didn't bother me, there were some folks who had a more difficult time navigating the many stairs to get from one place to the next.

Like I said overall, it was a nice stay, but there are just a few things that could be improved upon. Granted, there was construction going on while we were there, so it appears improvements are being made.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley? Share your experiences!