“Interesting, but not my style” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 59 hotels in Park City
San Francisco
“Interesting, but not my style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have wanted to stay at the Stein Eriksen for years. Based on recommendations from friends, its general reputation, and lofty price, I brought high expectations. Overall I cannot say they were met. It is a fantastic location in perhaps the best ski resort in the world. The service, particularly in the ski locker, is superb. Their vision is consistent, but not one I embrace. The Stein Eriksen aspires to be the height of 1980’s European outdoor elegance. That makes for an interesting experience, but it is not my style. Here are a few useful things to know.

Rooms vary greatly. I was there for a conference and we all paid the same rate. Some in our party raved about their rooms – views, fireplaces, hot tubs, etc. My room was small and dark. The one window looked at the foundation and ductwork of the building 10 feet away. The bathroom was so small you had to walk sideways between the sink and the shower. The toilet seat was broken and a light bulb was out. I asked for a better room and was given a polite “no” although the hotel was one third empty.

They are under construction. They are currently building a new conference center. There is noise, a crane overhead and much of the facility is blocked off. They should have mentioned that at reservation time.

Prepare to walk. The lodge has few rooms. The bulk of the rooms are arranged condo-style on a large campus. From my room to the conference center was up 2 full flights of stairs, a 200 yard walk, then 2 flights of stairs down. Same for the ski locker. Same for the pool but a 100yd walk. The walks are outdoors with no awning. Steps have some ice and the railing are snow covered. I found myself walking 45-60 minutes a day just getting from one place to another. I would have rather spent that time skiing or working.

The elevation is 8,100 feet. Nearly everyone in our party was affected.

Nothing cool here. The common areas are well maintained but from the 80’s. The staff is well trained, but wearing uniforms from the same era. Unlike the photos on the website, this is not a beautiful people place.

The food is rich. They love cheese, sausage, potatoes, and sauced beef and pork. Fruit, vegetables and lean proteins are hard to find. Eriksen is Norwegian, but the food is Russian/German.

Some of the service is ridiculous. Turn down service includes fresh ice, robe, slippers, and a white linen bedside mat. Not things I want and what about the ecological cost?

Tip – bring skis and a boot bag and have them delivered to the complementary ski locker. Then you can wear normal shoes for the long walk to the ski center. On the last day leave a change of clothes in your locker. After skiing you can shower at the spa for free and have a happier plane trip home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We enjoyed five nights over Thanksgiving in a suite and loved every minute of it. We had a full size kitchen with all amenities. Two fireplaces, one gas and one for logs. We never waited more than a few minutes for log delivery and we had the fire roaring all day! On the terrace, with beautiful views of the slopes, was a hot tub that was used daily. Two full bathrooms was an added bonus. The Murphy bed in the living room was super comfortable. If it had been made up with a proper quilt and cover rather than sheets and blankets it would have been awesome. Tons of soft pillows in both beds. Cannot comment on the restaurant, other than the Thanksgiving dinner which was superb. Every staff member we encountered were immensely helpful and service minded. We will be back for sure.

Sun Valley, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed at most of the properties in Deer Valley, and we stay for various reasons. Most of them are for business where we have 25 couple stay, we have meetings and the spouses get a $300 credit to the spa and for shopping. Some are for pure pleasure. Most of the time when the parking staff take the car it is not a problem, usually a rental and we just want to relax. However, this time we hosted 23 couples from a long time dinner club. It was our turn so we had to prepare/serve the meal which required a huge amount of china, crystal, silver, and serving platters to be carried from the vehicle. Plus we had to run to town several times to purchase things we forgot. Each time the required us to call the staff, get a cart, wait, and tip for well over 2 dozen trips we made. We tipped heavy coming in for the first load, the rest were easy trips for items we had to go get or get out of the car and the parking spot was 25 yards from the car so we would park and run back a forth. Many times we got a lecture of why we couldn't park ourselves, the biggest BS story of all "insurance reasons" , not I think it was "tip reasons". I wouldn't mind giving them $100 or more to just leave us alone after the first trip in and the huge waste of time. Tried to get rooms for our guest who didn't want to drive off the mountain late, new staff and couldn't answer waited and got here is the rate no matter how many or how close you would like them to your room. They all got rooms elsewhere, but of course all went through the parking staff to get their vehicles--but NONE stay at this property. If it is insurance reasons, then why when we do get our vehicle do we have to drive what seems like 15 minutes through the bowels of a dark city with workers and trucks everywhere--major obstacle course. Many more events after you get your car for and insurance issue than just parking it. They missed many guests, many tips, and we are now booking an event for 30 for business at the Waldorf. The rooms were nice, the reservations people were great, and housekeeping did everything well except leave extra lotions on the second night. Construction was a nightmare. My brother owned a couple units several years back and it was a totally class event, and we could park and carry what we needed for holidays into the room. There is a time for valet, and a time when the guest is the guest and they should get what they want within reason. We tipped heavy coming in, and will allow them to help load most of the stuff going out except for some very special family crystal--and will tip heavy for that. BUT to just get my keys back for my second vehicle after being given all the reason why I couldn't park my own vehicle which was already park next to my other one and a huge post, they took my keys and all for insurance and so I wouldn't run into anyone. Well the car was already parked, and holding my keys hostage really made the trip unpleasant.

Room Tip: Stay across the street until construction is done, but I understand it is the same management team...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
DBullert, General Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
I’m sorry your experience with our valet was undesirable. There are a number of reasons why we have valet parking only and I’m sorry you felt our team was focused only on tips. I would like to believe valet under ordinary conditions provides the necessary sense of luxury expected at Stein Eriksen Lodge. I understand your frustration, especially during renovation improvement projects where the environment has been modified. Although negative, I appreciate your candid feedback and will employ the information in refining our strategies.
Dan Bullert
Hotel Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This is my second review, but we came at a different time of year this time so I reviewing it again. The first time we came it was to ski and I raved about the locker room service and ski in, ski out ability. This time we came just to relax and hang out in deer valley and park city, and the lodge did not disappoint. The service was absolutely fabulous all the way around. I had a hick up at check in when they put us in a suite with no Murphy bed, but Nick at the front desk had it sorted quickly and on we went. We had several great meals in both the lounge and restaurant. Our room was spectacular as usual and we enjoyed the gym and spa amenities as well, especially the eucalyptus steam room. We also enjoyed the complementary shuttle service to downtown park city which makes having dinner down there a breeze.

In short, this is a fantastic property regardless of when you go. They truly live up to the 5 star rating.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Top notch attentive service from the moment you walk in the door. The main lodge provides a true mountain ambiance. The spa is very well appointed, but on the small side. I can't help but wonder if it would feel crowded on a busy day.
Rooms in the main lodge are more desirable, but if you stay in one of the adjacent buildings you have available very large suites with full kitchens, and some offer hot tubs. The room appointments are nice and the wood burning fireplaces contribute to the mountain 'experience'. It is too bad you have to walk a fair distance outside between some of the rooms and the main lodge, or to reach the pool/spa; it's a shame to have to bundle up completely to go and grab dinner.
Only one restaurant/bar. We expect to pay a premium for items at a resort of this caliber, but the Stein set a new level. $8 for a latté?? Dinner was mediocre and the wine list well over priced.

Room Tip: If you don't need the amenities, get a room in the main lodge. You'll still need to go outsi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I booked a luxury bedroom, room 206, and a luxury suite, room 190-1 for two nights for Thanksgiving. The luxury bedroom was very nice and modern, and there was a hot tub outside on the balcony which we weren't expecting...good surprise. The luxury suite was very spacious with a large kitchen, a round table for 6, an L-shaped sofa around the wood-burning fire and the large screen TV, a guest bathroom, a large balcony again with a table for 4 as well as a hot tub that could easily fit 4 people, a large master bedroom with a gas fireplace, and a two-room master bathroom (double vanity with closets and changing area, bathroom with single vanity, shower, and large jacuzzi tub. We entertained very comfortably on arrival night room service dinner, and for pre-Thanksgiving cocktails. The room service menu was a bit limited in choices, however. The decor of the luxury suite was a bit outdated, and not as attractive as the luxury bedroom, but not a deal breaker by any means. Our waiter for the wonderful Thanksgiving buffet, Spencer, was gracious, knowledgeable, and he adjusted his service to our fun-loving group. The bell desk didn't know what to do with our combined luggage for the two rooms on one cart, and we went in 3 directions before eventually finding our room (check a property map before heading out if you don't know the property). They were also unfamiliar with some amenities in the room as they were giving us the tour upon arrival. Room service didn't know what tonic water was, and said it wasn't available if it wasn't on the menu. I asked for a slight substitution on the cheese and meat hors d'eouvres menu for room service to have a bit more fruit than meat and was told this would not be possible. Good people, just lousy training. The large outdoor pool was heated and beautiful on a chilly Thanksgiving weekend Friday. Spa which was supposed to open at 8:00 was not open at 8:15 when I went by to try to take a steam and a sauna. All in all, it was a lovely weekend. Just felt like the bell staff and the room service staff were not properly trained.

Room Tip: The luxury bedroom was in the main lodge and the luxury suite was a short walk outside the main lodg...
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family celebrated Thanksgiving this year at the Stein Eriksen and rented two suites for two nights. The rooms were beautiful and the Thanksgiving buffet and restaurant service were definitely five star quality. The bell and room service, however, were not even close to a five star level. Fortunately the problems, which began immediately upon our arrival, were not related to poor employee attitude but I believe very poor training. The two bell hops that met our car seemed to be very challenged by the need to get our luggage to two different rooms. They even suggested that they bring the luggage to the lobby and we take it from there. (The folks in their mid-seventies said "no thanks"). So after checking in we all followed the two bell hops to the first room which they found without too much trouble. Finding the second room, however, required that we first visit two rooms that were not ours in different parts of the property before they found our second room. When our luggage arrived there still seemed to be a great deal of confusion as to whose was whose even though we were identifying the pieces. They seemed to be confused as to where to put the luggage in the room. It seemed that these two guys had never checked anyone in before and were not familiar with the property, the rooms or much of anything related to their duties. They spent quite a few minutes trying to figure out how to turn on the gas fireplaces. So when we got settled, we called room service to ask for some tonic water mixer as there were no minibars in the suites. The room service operator told us that she didn't think they had tonic water. When we suggested that she must, she said "I don't see it on the menu". When we suggested that she go to the bar and ask for some she said "well, I can't promise anything". Not even close to five star service. After having dinner in one of the suites for four people, we called to have the dishes and left overs removed. We stayed awake for awhile waiting. No one ever showed up and we had to call again the next morning. When we ordered coffee the next morning with 2% milk, the coffee showed up but not the milk. When we asked for more wood for the fireplace, the wood showed up but the guy didn't have any matches. I could go on. The consistent incompetence of the service became a running joke in our group. Fortunately we were all in a good mood and giving thanks for just being able to be there. But if I were to stay at the Stein Erikson again, I would definitely complain to the general manager about stuff like this. When one spends a small fortune for a five star resort, consistently poor hotel service like we experienced is unacceptable. I've had better at two and three star bed and breakfasts in third world countries. The bell and room service managers should probably not be working at the Stein Erikson and I hope the general manager will take note.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DBullert, General Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a comment on Trip Advisor – I’m sorry your stay did not exceed expectations. It is apparent our team failed across the board. I appreciate the feedback and have taken the time to review the comments with the Food and Beverage and Guest Service Managers. There is usually little plausible explanation when service levels degenerate. We have quality training programs; regrettably, even the best intensions are at times undermined by simply poor decisions. Accountability is a necessary instrument for development and your information will be used to help our team improve.

I will send you a note with my personal contact information for future assistance.

Dan Bullert
Hotel Manager

Been to Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley? Share your experiences!