“Kids equate it to staying at Hogwarts” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Kids equate it to staying at Hogwarts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We love SEL. Even though it is a very high end establishment, it does not make you feel uncomfortable for bringing small children. The service is excellent, and our kids love that we have our own hot tub on our balcony. In addition, the food is spectacular. We live in Salt Lake City and see the local awards it receives for best food. It is incredible.

Our family loves it. In fact our kids, on their first visit, thought it looked like Hogwarts, so that has become our nickname for SEL. It's appropriate too - there's a touch of magic there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Sarah M, Public Relations Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
We too feel that there is something magical about Stein Eriksen Lodge. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our younger guests. It is truly a home away from home where families can spend quality time together while our staff takes care of the details. We look forward to hosting your family again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I've never been so pampered! Staff were amazing. So high in the mountains that the wildlife are all around. The food is awesome! Anything you want they make! Prices were on mark for the quality given!

Room Tip: Every room is more than I've ever expected!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011 via mobile

Eat everything. Seriously. The breakfast buffet is the best. The spa is small but beautiful, and the ski-in ski-out is great. Love this place!

• Stayed November 2010
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We just stayed three nights at this hotel. Have been wanting to stay here for years and finally made it. It is September, 2011, so can't really give opinion on skiing, but it is located right outside the hotel. The location is fantastic. The service is superb and the food is excellent. Can't say enough about how nice the entire staff have been. Overall, I can certainly see why it is a Five star rated hotel. Would love to stay here again in the future. Don't miss it !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in August during a convention. Our room had a beautiful view with a balcony and hot tub. The ability to do a load of laundry outside the shared hallway was also a big plus. This hotel has the #1 rated burger in Utah and #8 in the world, so I had to try....it was the best burger I have ever had! Also, they have a lady who makes specialty chocolates. Our favorite was the peanut butter and jelly!! All her chocolates are delicious. Watch out Godiva, we had 6 of each every evening during our stay. The hotel also had a shuttle to take you to Park City every 15 minutes. Overall a neat layout, great food, superior service and spacious rooms. The pool was average but the spa was spectacular and even had a plunge pool!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I live in Southern Arizona, and was in dire need of an escape from the 110-degree September weather. I traveled with my mother to Park City for a little reprieve. The Stein Eriksen sits only a few minutes' drive above downtown Park City, allowing guests only a short travel time from buzzing restaurants and bars, but enough distance to feel a part of the mountain landscape. The hotel itself had a lovely dining area overlooking a few ski slopes (hiking/mountain biking in the summer), The staff was helpful, if almost overly-doting, and always willing to wait on you hand-and-foot. The Lodge has its own spa, which was a great treat after a day of outdoors activity-- while individual treatments were somewhat pricey, the pool and beautiful amenities (sauna/hot tub) were included in the guests hotel stay.

Room Tip: Because the hotel is so large, be aware that some rooms are quite close to the dining area, whereas...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I live in NYC and flew out to the mountains outside of Park City on my own for a few days of late-summer peace and reflection. I'm also a freelance writer and occasionally cover travel. Since I lead a busy, urban life, I was looking for a beautiful, self-contained property where I could read, paint, bike, walk, and lounge in the spa. All in all, the Stein Eriksen provided what I needed. It's not a cookie-cutter resort, nor a big box The Nordic touches and low-scale felt right. I appreciated the mountain and valley views, the thoughtful plantings, and the sound of water rushing over rocks outside my door (one of a number of fountains dotting the property). I loved having my daily paper delivered outside my door, so that I could read it over breakfast out on the restaurant's spacious desk. Hiking, mountain biking, trail riding, and Park City are within easy reach. The Stein's employees made me feel welcome and provided a high standard of service. My spa services were superb. I hadn't come to sightsee, but most people will enjoy having Park City a few minutes away.

There were a couple of sour notes that had me wondering whether the lodge's fine reputation might be a little out of step with the times. As a solo traveler during a quiet week, I was surprised that that the Stein couldn't honor my request to modify its packages, all of which are for couples. I finally booked a package that ijncluded breakfast for two, because it was offered at the same tariff as the rack rate for the room alone. A complimentary fruit platter was sent (and appreciated), but the lodge could have extended itself in any number of other ways, including comping the extra it charged for a room with a balcony.

Breakfasts and dinners were lovely, but could use some heart-healthy gourmet updating. Speaking of food, the egg-white trout frittata breakfast is fab, but ask for the creme fraiche on the side. Salad and soup portions, which were relatively healthy, could have been larger. Servers were wonderful, as were all the folks I met during my stay.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend the lodge with the caveat that attracting high-end guests in an increasingly-moribund economy, it might do well to flex with the times.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley? Share your experiences!