“Very well run property” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 59 hotels in Park City
atlanta, ga.
“Very well run property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

After reading other tripadvisor reviews before booking this property, I was somewhat nervous about booking here. Some reviews were highly complimentary, others extremely negative. The price was reasonable though, and I decided to take a chance, booking a "premium" as opposed to "standard" unit. The management makes it very clear on the website that each unit is individually owned and decorated, and if you are looking for upscale, you should book a premium unit. What is not generally reviewed on trip advisor is location, and that was important to me. If it is to you, I suggest that you ask for a unit that is not subject to bus noise, as the buses run well into the evening and start up early in the morning and the units on the front of the building will be subject to that. Bus noise isn't unique to Shadow Ridge. I knew to ask for a quiet unit after staying at another base property where I couldn't sleep through the night due to the bus noise. Brendan and Katrina at the front desk were were extremely accommodating in finding an available unit for me that met the parameters of a premium unit with a quiet location. I've been here for less than a day, and I am extremely impressed by the high level of customer service at this property, from housekeeping to management. My experience has been that you have only to ask and your request will be granted. I consider myself to be a highly discerning customer with high standards. My mindset was that I was taking a chance staying at Shadow Ridge, and I am delighted to report that I made a good choice!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the road and on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your complaiments and how we are operating at Shadow Ridge. While you can experience noise from time to time from traffic, you did mention that is not unique to Shadow Ridge due the free and wonderful bus system that is provided for all visitors to take advantage of. Our location is great and provides a wonderful home base for you to enjoy a wonderful day on the slopes and a nice relaxing evening downtown.

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Norman, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel’s best feature is its location, just across the street from the Lodge at Park City and the base of the slopes. While there are a couple of other lodging facilities within “the Lodge” (i.e. base area complex) itself, they tend to fill up faster, are more expensive, and do not really offer that much greater an advantage, unless you are wanting a more pampered experience and are willing to pay for it. The down side of Shadow Ridge is that it houses no on-premise restaurant or bar, but there are several restaurant choices across the street at the Lodge, and Shadow Ridge does have a shuttle service that gets you to Main Street in 5 minutes, and is pretty quick picking you up after your meal, too. The rooms are very basic, with very firm beds, and very few frills, but the ski slopes across the street and the Main Street strip 5 minutes away, why would you need much more? Shadow ridge does have an on premise ski shop where you can rent equipment and buy lift tickets, but there are plenty on Aloha Ski rental and plenty of other ski rental shops right at the lodge next to the slopes. (Aloha had the advantage of storing your skis and poles overnight inside their shop right as you came off the slopes, rather than carrying them back across the street, as well as free use of small cubicles for storing shoes and non-valuables while you ski). Despite other reviews to the contrary, the desk was open 24/7 and every person working at reception was exceptionally courteous and helpful. There was complimentary covered parking below the hotel, complimentary Wi-Fi, a heated exterior pool and an inside sauna/hot tub. The ice machine and vending machine were on the basement level, which was not really convenient, but rather insignificant, after all. Our 2 Queen Bed room had a small coffee maker, a microwave, refrigerator and hairdryer. This hotel is a very reasonable and convenient choice for those looking for a more economical lodging at Park City. It was surprisingly uncrowded at Spring Break in mid-March.

Room Tip: I'd recommend asking for an inside room away from the mountain side. The incredibly noisy city b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for posting your review! It was a pleasure to hear that you had a great experience with us at Shadow ridge. You are the right! The location is magnificent and wonderful for all the plentiful activity’s that there is to do in Park city. Thank you for pointing out that our staff was exceptional; our team at Shadow Ridge takes great pride in ensuring each guest like your self has a great time!
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is a very good location close to the main Park City lifts with about a 5 minute walk across the parking lot. The ski store in the hotel has rentals and discount lift tickets so that was convenient. The people working in the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. The room was an average hotel room with a small counter area with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. There is parking under the hotel included in the room rate. This is not a high end hotel/resort. It is a basic hotel so don't pay to much... I would have rated it higher if some small items were different... bathroom door was loose and scraped on door frame, front entrance for pedestrians always had cars parked on the sidewalk and you walk down the main road with busses and cars zipping by you to get to the lifts, shower has black dirty grout, you hear everything in the neighboring rooms, the television was small and poor video quality and the bed had an indentation in the center that caused you to roll toward the middle... I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: insist on a room with a new mattress.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Michael,

Thank you for the review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the honesty in the review and the insight into your stay at the Hotel. As you saw the hotel has average and premium rated rooms. I will look into the room you stayed in and get those small items fixed. A downside to the hotels entrance is the lack of space for vehicles when dropping and/or picking up guests. The front desk staff tries to monitor the parking situation as best as they can so we keep a good rotation going. Again, thank you for the review and appreciate the feedback.

Have a safe trip home.

Potomac
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I will start with a little background information, since it might be helpful to keep some of this in mind as you read the review:
- We are 2 advanced and seasoned skiers who have been skiing regularly for 33 and 49 years each.
- We take at least one annual father/son ski trip per year to various destinations throughout the US and Canada.
- We are both frequent travelers and have traveled to most of North, America, Central America, South America and Europe.
- We are not new to ski towns, condos, hotels, motels, etc. and we have stayed in tons of different accommodations. These properties have included everything from low cost motels (i.e.: small ski towns in New England) to high-end hotels/resorts (i.e.: the base of Whistler Mountain, Vail and Aspen).

We got to Shadow Ridge “Resort” early enough to get in an afternoon of skiing at Park City before moving into our room, which was not yet cleaned. No problem, because we had planned on getting in early to get in an extra half day of skiing. We changed into our ski clothing in the spa locker room and went off to make turns for a few hours.

I have an allergy to down products, and so when I made my reservation I was very careful to ask for hypoallergenic bedding. I was sitting next to my travel agent when this request was made, so I know it was done. When we got to our room we found down pillows on each of the two beds. I called the front desk to request hypoallergenic bedding and I was told that they did not have hypoallergenic bedding. The desk clerk said that he did not know what hypoallergenic bedding was. I explained that what I needed was a foam pillow and fresh linens, since there was no down in the blankets. The clerk transferred me to the Shadow Ridge Resort manager, Branden Peck. He told me that the units are individually owned and that our unit did not have foam pillows. However, if I wanted to have a foam pillow, he would send someone to buy one for me and I would have to pay for it. OUTRAGEOUS!

When Branden saw the ultimate booker of our trip was Ski.com, he instantly went on the offensive. He told us he was not responsible and that it was an issue between Ski.com and us. He also less-than-kindly informed me that we could cancel our stay; get a total refund and head to the Marriott if we did not want down pillows! Since we were now ready for a shower (we had been skiing all afternoon) and were already in the room, I found this answer unacceptable. Plus, let’s be honest, asking for a foam or hypoallergenic pillow and bedding is a pretty typical request in any property today. I contacted my travel agent and Ski.com, who was the agent for our trip. Surprisingly enough, after about fifteen minutes of what I presume was some detailed conversation about how many rooms per week are booked by Ski.com, we were told that the pillows would be forthcoming, at no charge to me.

I have read a lot of the reviews, and I know Branden likes to support positive reviews and dismiss negative ones with statements about “policy” or “incomplete explanations/information.” To be honest, I dislike excuses and it doesn't matter what conversation transpired between Ski.com and Shadow Ridge. If the ultimate move was to get some foam pillows (which they claim “some” rooms have), why attempt to ruin what should be a great experience within the first 6 hours of our trip? I do not care if Branden was pressured, compensated, changed his mind or anything else. He obviously had the ability to resolve the issue and chose to make it confrontational rather than focusing on how the problem could be resolved. From reading his comments, he seems to have a lot of excuses and very little corrective action.

Ready to relax and move forward with our trip, we went down to the desk to inquire where we could get a beer and a bite to eat while waiting for our bedding. The desk clerk was perplexed at my question and after thinking about it for a bit, said we would have to go to Main Street (a ten minute shuttle ride) to find any bars or restaurants. There is no food available at Shadow Ridge – they do not have a restaurant or bar.

My son and I looked at one another and thought it odd that any ski resort, Utah or not, would be alcohol and food free. We walked up to the base area, spoke with a ski patrolman and were immediately directed to a spectacular local bar about 200 yards from the front door of Shadow Ridge. When you can, always check with a patrolman for the best drinks and food in any ski resort.

After about two hours of talking to the locals about where to eat and trying to pry out where the secret stashes of powder were, we went back to our room. There were four brand new pillows and pillowcases awaiting us. I know they were brand new because they were still in their original wrappers. (See Photos) Apparently, this was going to be a “do-it-yourself” week! On the other beds were … surprise!!! … the other four feather pillows! My allergy-free son took the pillows down to the clueless front desk and we were off to a great week for our fifteenth annual father-son-ski-bonding trip.

Getting into the shower-tub combination was an adventure! The Jacuzzi-style tub had two sliding glass doors and the step up to the tub did not have any tread on it. Slippery when wet was an understatement. Both my son and I almost fell several times throughout the week!

I called the front desk (no one answered the housekeeping line) and asked for an extra set of towels and a shuttle to dinner. When we returned to the room, we made the beds and went to sleep. The next day I asked for an extra set of towels to be given to us each day and off we went to ski. At the end of our first full day – only one set of towels were in the room. I called the front desk once more and had another set delivered. I asked to have two sets of bath towels left daily. Again, this should not have been an unusual request for a Resort. This became a ritual each and every day of our stay at Shadow Ridge.

The housekeeping crew made our beds every day and cleaned the sink. That’s about it! I had to ask a housekeeper to clean our toilet and tub twice during our stay. The tub was never touched – gross! We cleaned it ourselves – after the bedding situation I thought it was the Shadow Ridge tradition to have everyone chip in and help. Vacuuming the room was apparently optional and the housekeeping crew elected not to select this option – even after we requested they do it. There were several pieces of plastic nest to my bed all week! (See Photos) Reading other reviews, this seems to be a trend. I even found a big blob of hair on top of one of our “clean” towels one afternoon. Spectacular attention to detail! (See Photos)

The room itself had a beautiful view of the parking lot, but if you went out on the balcony and looked to your far right, you can see Park City Resort. The furnishings, like the rest of the Shadow Ridge Resort, were worn and dated. It really needs to have a refacing because it really looks tired.

The elevator (not elevators) was slow, but finicky. You must keep an eye on the down or up button or it will skip your floor if the light goes out. Several other guests waiting for the elevator with us throughout the week sighed and said they had it happen to them also.

On the other hand, the location is great. Not a ski-in-ski-out property, but very close to the mountain. The shuttle service offered gets you everywhere in the valley. Would I come back to Park City? Absolutely! Would I stay at Shadow Ridge? NO WAY!!!

Room Tip: Find another property! This is a very tired property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Jack,

As you would know I always start out thanking the guests for leaving a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate good and not so good feedback from our guests so my staff and I can improve for the future. When writing my comments to guests reviews my intentions are to give the reader an insight into the hotel, what type of services we provide from Housekeeping, Maintenance and Front Desk, and address any issues that guests might have encountered at the hotel. Reading through your review you have very interesting points about the service you were provided and your feelings on me.

First, I want to say I am sorry you had a not so good experience and you felt like I was unsupportive. Positive reviews are always nice to hear from our guests and along with the negative ones. You have to take the good with the bad. If it weren't for guests like you leaving a negative review how could my hotel ever grow, learn and adapt to the new and always changing guests expectations. I know I can’t please everybody who stays at my hotel but my staff and I do our best every day to make sure each and every guest gets 100% from us.

Information for future guests “The Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel is an individually owned condo complex.” What does that mean? Shadow Ridge Hotel has 55 unique owners with all different types and styles on how they decorate their condos. Here is some basic information when booking your condo: The Shadow Ridge Resort Hotel offers premium or standard rated hotel, 1- and 2-bedroom condominiums. For all the comforts of home, our 1- and 2-bedroom condominiums feature a fully furnished kitchen, a living and dining area for lounging and entertaining, and private bedrooms where you can unwind and catch up after a day of activity. Note: *After booking a reservation I highly recommend calling the front desk or our central reservation office to follow up with any specific needs that might need attention.

The hotel does have three major amenities provided to guests, 1. Utah Ski and Golf (an in-house ski/snowboard shop), 2. Wasatch Adventure Guides (for all your adventure needs), 3. Park City Real Estate (guests who are interested in purchasing property at the hotel or around the Park City area). One of the downsides the hotel does not have onsite is a restaurant and/or bar. Stated in your review there are three very nice restaurants walking distance which are located at the Lodge at Mountain Village plaza.

One of you key points to your review was you having an allergy to down products, with booking through a third party such as Ski.com (who actually wasn't your main booking agent) should have followed up with such request. *To all guests, when booking through three different agencies there is a potential for information to get lost. Reason I state in many of my comments please give the hotel a call so we can be prepared for your arrival. As the General Manager I am happy to take the fall for the oversight in not making sure you had the proper pillows in your condo. I appreciate you taking a great picture of the brand new pillows and liens you requested. As you know after your request of new pillows you had them within 30 minutes. I am sure to many guests asking for brand new pillows and liens the response time great.

Overview of your review

You've brought out many great points on how the hotel needs to improvement. 1. Housekeeping needs to be more attentive to guests needs. Especially, when you “the guest” asks for an extra set of towels which seems to be a very basic request. Please keep in mind there are four different types of cleans we do throughout the day. Guests have the option for additional services when asked. 2. The property as a whole could use a makeover. I am happy to state we are improving out onsite faculties such as the hotel tub, pool areas and gym this coming summer. 3. “Myself” based on the situation and the request for hypoallergenic bedding I could have been more open minded and better at willingness to help.

Thank you for the review and hopefully you had a safe trip back home.

Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm rating Shadow Ridge with 5 stars based on the perfect location and spacious hotel/condo room. We had 2 bedrooms, 3 baths, kitchen and it was perfect for our family of 5. The location is great for skiing... simple walk through the parking lot and you are on the slopes. We particularly enjoyed the hot tub after skiing. The room furnishings could use updating but this was not an issue for us... I felt the price was very reasonable so did not expect brand new room interior. The staff was helpful (particularly liked Ashley who helped us upon arrival). Finally, it was convenient to have ski rental in the lobby. They were very helpful although probably not the least expensive rental in town. Overall, it was a great stay and we will return next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Branden P, General Manager at Shadow Ridge Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thomas,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write your first review on Shadow Ridge Hotel and recognizing one of our front desk agents. Glad to see the room you received worked for you and your family. Hopefully you had a great time skiing and you checked out down town Park City. If you have any questions for next year bookings please let me know.

Have a great day and safe travels.

Greensboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I rated the Shadow Ridge Resort and Conference Center 5 stars based on value. I just completed a stay with my wife and 2 kids for an annual ski trip. The reservations process was seamless, the check-in process was very easy, and we only had 1 request during our stay and it was immediately handled. Park City is not for the faint of wallet and this resort fits very nicely into the mix. Sure they could spend a million, or two, trying to follow the St. Regis, Montage, or Stein Erickson, but in my opinion that would price them out of the market they are after. Keep in mind that the week we were there, the above mentioned hotels were $750/nt + for a room- we had 2 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, a kitchen, and living room with a wood burning fireplace.

The proximity to Park City Mountain in second to only the lodge at Park City and the free public bus service is 100 yards away with service everywhere. Additionally, the ski shop (Ski and Golf) in the lobby is fantastic and they give generous discounts to guests at the hotel.

I highly recommend the Shadow Ridge Resort and keep in mind that their rates are "cheap" for Park City, do not expect extreme upper end because the rates are high for your market- Upper end in Park City, with a great location, starts at $750+.

Look forward to a return next year.

Room Tip: The rooms are individually owned an probably vary so it might be worth researching the room you are...
Dear Impriv,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. When reading through your review I think you touched over many great points. Shadow Ridge Hotel is not a 5 star hotel with 5 star amenities but we are striving for excellence to our guests in how we provide them service. Again, thank you for the review and with helping future guests understand Shadow Ridge Hotel a little bit better.

Have a safe trip home and look forward seeing you next ski season.

Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm a little surprised by the positive reviews of this hotel. Since this is a condo with individually owned units, I'm sure a lot depends on what unit you get. We were in 301-1. It is in need of updating. The beds were the most uncomfortable I've had in a hotel in a very long time. The furniture and decor also need updating, the lighting is horrible, but that's not really a big deal to me. What really bothered me was the noise, the maid service, and the unclean conditions especially in the bathroom. The sink and toilet never looked clean. They never replaced our plastic drinking cups. Three is a coffee maker and there was 1 coffee serving in the room when we arrived. On the second day, we did not receive any additional coffee or condiments. I called the front desk and they said they don't supply any additional coffee automatically and we have to come down to the front desk to get it. What??? The hotel is in a fairly good location in that you can walk to the Park City Resort. However, it's further than it looks when you are wearing ski boots and carrying ski's. Plus there is not a sidewalk most of the way, so it's kind of dicey walking with a 7 year old in the street with traffic (uphill). Our room looked out toward the resort but the main Park City Resort parking lot is in between. The first night it was snowing which resulted in a plow working the night to clear the lot. It was VERY loud because everytime it backed up (about every 5 seconds) it would beep very loud. It's also right on the bus line, so you hear buses right ouside. Overall, a very loud experience and I wore earplugs or my iPod every night. With that plus the awful beds reslulted in little sleep. On the plus side, it has underground parking, a ski rental shop (we didn't use except for discound lift tickets) located in the hotel, and free wifi. In their defense, we didn't complain about anything since I didn't think there was much they could do, except maybe for the cleanliness of the room.

Room Tip: Room facing PCMR parking lot extrememly noisy.
Dear Guests,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and explaining some of the issues you encountered at the hotel. Yes, 301-1 is in need of remolding/improvements, I've forwarded your comments over to the owner so they can see the impact they had on your stay. I take guests experiences very seriously and knowing this could be your one trip a year scenario. I am sad to see our housekeeping staff dropped the ball on getting you cups, coffee and additional housekeeping when asked. As for the snow plows they can be noisy especially when we get a big snowfall such as you saw. Hopefully we will be able to see you next ski season and please contact me if you have any questions.

Have a safe trip home.

Shadow Ridge Hotel, GM

Been to Shadow Ridge Resort? Share your experiences!