“good price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Chicago, Illinois
“good price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

booked this property through hotwire for only $44 a night, which was great considering how expensive other lodging is in park city. but they didn't put me in the actual lodge- they put me in a small building which has rooms that are probably used by skiers in winter. the room was similar to any hotel room, but there were no services- no ice machine, no laundry, no 24-hour reception. and the lighting in the room was very poor. otherwise, it had a microwave and was a very reasonable place to stay, fine for a place to sleep and go hiking each day in the nearby mountains.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — no ice
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

Prospector Square is a group of three condo properties that are owned individually. They are managed by All Season Resorts. My review is of room #812 in the Prospector Lodge property.

I made reservations for this hotel room on Friday June 15 for our stay on Saturday June 16th. I had received a flyer advertising local specials (we live in Salt Lake City, Utah) and went on their website at [--] and found a rate of $59 for Saturday night (weeknights were $49 a night). This was for a hotel room-style condo. I called the property directly and spoke with an agent for All Seasons Resort. I wanted to book the hotel-room style condo, but she said there was no availability for this type, but that I could book a kitchenette for $79 a night. Since I knew I could book the room at a lower rate online, I said "no thanks" and went back to the website. Sure enough, I was able to book the room for the $59 rate.

We got to the hotel around 6 pm. The check-in desk was closed, but we had received codes for the lockbox with our keys in the confirmation email, so accessed our key easily. One other couple was in the lobby and said their keys were NOT waiting for them. They were calling the reservation line while we were there - hopefully they got their room keys!

The check-in packet had our keys (real keys!), a map to our building (#8), and a list of amenities and rules for the condo units. On the envelope it asked us to "check in" the next morning. We found our building easily and went to find our room.

The building seems to have been built in the 80's or early 90's. It's not a luxury condo resort, but it seems to be maintained well. We did not see a pool or hot tub nearby. As we walked through the hallway, I could hear other guests in their rooms. I hoped we didn't hear our neighbors in our room.

Our room turned out to be a kitchenette. I made a note to myself to get a receipt when I visited the check in desk the next morning to make sure we were just charged $59 and not $79. The room was large and had 2 queen beds, a small table and 2 chairs, and a TV/VCR in an armoire. The comforter, shams and pillows were very nice, though the sheets were standard. The pillows were flat and the mattress soft.

The small kitchenette had a small microwave, small fridge, small sink and small coffee maker. We laughed because there was only one glass and one mug (but four bowls) in the cupboard.

The bathroom was small with a standard shower and small vanity/cupboard. The paint above the shower was peeling and looked like it had been repaired before. The shower's mechanism was weird - it took both me and my husband puzzling about how to turn the shower-part on for about 2 minutes before we realized there was a part on the faucet you must pull down to get the shower going. Strange.

Everything was clean and I felt comfortable walking around without my shoes on.

My concerns about hearing our neighbors never became a problem. We may not even have had neighbors, because I never heard anyone else - not even above us.

We wanted to tour Main Street so we pulled out the park city guide magazine on the table to find our way there. Thank goodness Park City hasn't changed much in two years - the magazine was from Summer 2005! Main Street was about 2 miles away. Definitely not walking distance, but close by car.

When I "checked in" in the morning I asked for a receipt. I was very happy to see that not only were we NOT charged extra for the kitchenette - somehow we were only charged $49 for the night (the weeknight rate)! Nice!

For the price we paid, I would stay here again. I was looking for something economical, not luxurious. This was better than I had expected for the price.

• Liked — Value, location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Prospector Accommodations? Share your experiences!