“Fantastic Place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Fantastic Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

We loved our room. Had a 1 bedroom suite. The bed was big and comfy, extra pillows which were also very comfy. Bathroom was huge with a walkin shower and jetted, oversized tub. Flat screen tvs in the bedroom and living room. Hot tub was a bonus and our child loved it. I noticed in a previous review that the layout was strange. Maybe a little bit - it had a straight hallway with the master off the hallway, then you entered the living area. Amenities - the pool was awesome. It's a lap pool where you can swim from inside the hotel to outside the hotel. A fan favorite for our family. The workout room was also above standards. There is nothing but praise to say about this hotel. Comfy, big bed; upscale, large bathroom; personal hot tub; FANTASTIC pool; great workout room; and finally, wonderful price. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Family of four thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Newpark Resort. Very clean and I still think about how crisp and cozy the bed and linens were! The hot tub with view is a joy, fireplace a nice addition and the full sized fridge, appliances and kitchen area very workable. Luxurious bath with robes. My teenager found the pull out couch with down duvet and fluffy pillows one of the most comfortable beds ever. Imagine!
Most importantly, the front desk staff was accommodating.There had been an East coast snow storm threatening our trip home and the public computer was not working(suggest they get more computers). The staff allowed me to use their desk computer so I could find out if my airport was open. This was most helpful. Ski rental and shuttle at hotel is convenient . Parking not all that accessible to rooms. However, we can't wait to go back to Newpark Resort.

Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at Newpark for 5 nights in February. The hotel is new with large, clean rooms. Our suite had a hot-tub which we used daily, gas fireplace, huge bathroom with heated floor tiles and plenty of space for ski gear. Our room also had a great kitchenette which, with a Whole Foods nearby, made it easy to keep drinks and snacks. A pool and steam sauna are also in the hotel. Reggie at the front desk was very accommodating and helped us check in several hours early. Hotel staff was great during the entire stay. Newpark is in a new shopping center. We found several very good places to eat within walking distance including an incredible sushi restaurant, Soyu Sushi. The local brewpub was pretty good as well. The hotel has their own shuttle to ski resorts during ski season which makes getting to the slopes quick and easy. A ski rental shop was right in the hotel. The only drawback was the construction that was ongoing in adjacent buildings at the shopping center however, it was only a minor annoyance and looked to be complete soon. Overall, you cant beat this hotel for value especially if you like easy access to shops and restaurants. Similar rooms in Park City were easily twice the price and probably not as new and clean. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

The other half and me, of course, took our 10 yr anniversary trip here to have a try at skiing. The location is great. You can be at Deer Valley, Park City Resort, or The Canyons in minutes! Plus, you are right at the interstate when its time to head home.

The good - Brand spankin new property. Clean. 1BR Deluxe has all the ammenities a wife could want. Big comfy bed. Two flatscreens. Full fridge, washer dryer, dishwasher. The bathroom is like I wish mine was - heated floors, roomy shower, large tub, dual sinks.

The bad - Alot of construction still going on. Didn't bother us, but it is still far from a place to stay without the nail guns and beep beep beep reverse sounds every now and then. We still managed to sleep late every morning without interuption. The hot tub on the deck is great, but all decks are open to all other decks on your level - so if you are enjoying at the same time as others conversation can be heard like you are in the same tub. The wife called room service for some wash cloths and they brought bath robes. The housekeeping folks we talked to were all latino and did not seem to speak much english.

The ugly - not much. There have been some complaints about thin walls and such. Yes, we did hear people above us walking around, but nothing just overbearing. Yes, we were over the resturant and one night late I was up watching TV and heard some folks making racket for a short time.

Great location - Amazingly nice (especially for the price) - Staff cordial - Ski Rentals in the same building. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Just returned from a quick getaway to Park City and we stayed at the Newpark. The pictures looked great on the website and I liked the fact that it was a newer resort. We booked this reservation on the Newpark website and had requested the top floor. I had to prepay the entire stay since we were booking within 45 days, that should have been a clue. Upon arrival, I was given a room on the second floor. When I asked the front desk person about my request he said he could not see any request since I had booked it online. According to him, the online reservations systems automatically places you in a room and they have no control over it. I asked him for the phone number to the company that handles the online reservations and he did not have it, nor did the onsite reservations office or the on duty manager. I found that extremely odd that no one in the entire hotel know how to contact the online reservation office. Anyway, after speaking with a manager I was able to get a room on the 4th floor. I was pleased when we first walked in, the layout is odd but the interior decor is nice. The king platform bed is ridiculous though. The side tables, if you can call it a table, more like a shelf, is too small. It holds the phone or the radio but forget trying to set a drink on it too. I had to place the phone on the floor to fit a glass. The bed was too big for the room so if you like cracking you shin each time you try to maneuver around the room you'll love it! I could have dealt with these inconveniences since it was such a good rate but one thing I cannot deal with was the noise. Our room adjoined with another, the door between the two rooms might as well been none existent. The first night, I heard every word our neighbor said and they were not being loud at all. They were just speaking in a normal voice. I could even hear every time they turned over because the rustling of their duvet echoed throughout our room. At one point I coughed, and I heard them say "Oh my God did you hear that?" I then said "Sorry" to them and we went on to have a conversation without having to shout. I called the front desk to complain and ask for a room with a non-adjoining room. They said they did not have any available and apologized for our noisy neighbors. I explained to them it was NOT the neighbors fault, they were not noisy at all. It was the way the rooms were constructed. Reggie, the front desk person, said that maintenance was working on installing door jambs on the doors and that would solve the noise problem. He said we'd be first on the list that day. Well, surprise, surprise, we returned that evening and nothing had been done. I called down again and spoke with Ryan. He acted like this is the first time he had heard of any noise problem and knew nothing of maintenance trying to fix the problem. He said he would call them and then call me back. Well, three hours later, no call back from Ryan. I called front desk again and spoke with Kelly. She said Ryan was unavailable but that I should stick towels under the door. Seriously, towels under the door? I know this was a bargain price but I'm not at [--] Motel 6 for crying out loud. She said that this was on ongoing problem with the developers of the resort and that the HOA had been notified but that it takes time to fix these problems. She said they had complaints during the Sundance Film Festival and that the guests that put towels under the door seemed to have a good result with deadening the sound. Well all righty then! She said she would have Ryan call me when he got back. He did call about 15 minutes later and said there was nothing he could do to get the door jamb installed that night and would have a manager call me. Well, I did stuff towels under the door and thought it had worked until the next morning I was awakened by the clanging of dishes so much that I thought I was in a diner. When I went to the door, there was a note for me under it from Ryan that said I shouldn't have any more noise issues because my neighbors had checked out the night before and that he would have a manager call me. I guess he didn't count on housekeeping waking me up as they were cleaning the room. Well, I checked my phone messages everyday for the remainder of our stay and no manager ever called. I decided not to waste my time trying to get in touch with someone that gave a crap about our unacceptable room conditions. Other annoyances, they have a washer/dryer which is great but the vending machines were out of detergent our entire stay so we had to buy a full size bottle from the Smith's grocery store near the hotel. And the first two nights we were there we had lovely, soft, white, fluffy towels in the bathroom. The remainder of our stay we had these awful, thin, cheap, semi-yellow towels. (think yellow towels that were accidentally bleached) There were three of us in the suite and there was only one washcloth left for us each day. I love my family but don't really want to share one washcloth between us. And there was a half roll of toilet paper when we first got there with no extra rolls anywhere. There are no bell services, even though there is a button on the phone that says otherwise. Every time we tried to call housekeeping we got a voicemail that said their mailbox was full. If you are accustomed to staying at a Bates-like motel, this would probably be an upgrade and you would enjoy it. However, I will never recommend this hotel to anyone. *btw, I never did receive a call from management but was given a survey to fill out when I checked out.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
chriseggs, Manager at Newpark Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Over the past 18-months, the hotel ownership has invested heavily in re-working initial design and modifying to structure to lessen, if not completely eliminate, the noise complaint referenced in this review. I am pleased to report that we have not had this issue reported in more than a year.

Sincerely, Chris Eggleton (General Manager)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

The hotel is nice, new and well-appointed. The staff are friendly and helpful. However, our room was directly over Maxwell's (the hotel restaurant) and they had LOUD live music on three of the five nights we were there. It was so loud in our room that you could feel the vibrations. We had skiied all day and wanted to sleep. The front desk staff called the restaurant for us, but had no control over them and couldn't get them to tone down the music. I would definately not return to this hotel unless I was absolutely guaranteed that I would be in a room located far away from the restaurant.
A couple of other, more minor, complaints were that this hotel is quite a distance from Deer Valley (where we prefer to ski) and the cooking facilities in the suite were not full-sized (a two burner stove and no real oven).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
chriseggs, General Manager at Newpark Resort & Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Last year, the hotel ownership invested is physical changes to the building as a result of the feedback. Additionally, hotel ownership implemented rules prohibiting significant or obnoxious noise disturbances from the restaurant as cited in this review. We have been monitoring this issue over past year and are please that the issues seems to have been resolved.

Sincerely, Chris Eggleton (General Manager)
Syracuse, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed at the Newpark Resort as a anniversary getaway, for two nights at the end of February. Its located right off the freeway, in a shopping center, and across from Wal-Mart/Olympic Park entrance, and about 5 minutes from the Tanger Outlets and 3 ski resorts.

Our first impression was "Bizarre." From the way it looked to the overall layout, this was the best word to describe it. Parking is haphazard, aside from the main lot directly in front. The entrance/check-in is not clearly marked. We ended up walking right past the front doors and in the side door, because a "Newpark Resort" sign hung there. There are two buildings connected by second story walkway with a little street running under. Our room was in the second building, which we could get to by taking the elevator to the second floor, walking across the connecting walkway and then taking the elevator up to the fourth floor, OR by walking outside, crossing the little street and using our keycard to enter and then take the elevator to the fourth floor. Confused yet? Like I said, bizarre.

We opened the door to our room, and were confused by a long hallway. *see pics* There was straight wall on the right, and lots of different doors on the left, starting with the connector door to a separate suite. Then a series of closets and a stackable washer/dryer unit. (soap & softener could be purchased from a machine on the 3rd floor) Then our room, which contained a HUGE bed, soft and comfy with crisp white linens. It also had a wall-mounted TV and a chair. I was pleased to see an iHome alarm clock on the little pedestal next to my side of the bed. Our iPhones fit perfectly into it! This room wouldve been dark and cavernous had it not been for the window in the back left corner. However, it looked right into other rooms, and when you looked down, it was just a gravel square below with no entrance/exit. Hard to describe.

The next door was our bathroom, which was gorgeous! All travertine and glass, with big, thick towels, and little packets of q-tips and cotton balls. Dont rely on using their toiletries, they suck. LOL There was ONE bar of soap, which did smell good, but stll, just one for sink and shower. There was also lotion, shampoo and conditioner all the size and circumference of a mans thumb. Not enough for multiple guests, thank goodness my hubby has no hair! If he had, though, the "conditioner" wouldve left him needing to be conditioned. LOL Wal-Mart to the rescue! Heres the annoying part, though. We were so excited to see this gorgeous shower, and when we turned it on, it TRICKLED. I HATE that! Is this what they meant when the said this is a "green" hotel? We warmed up by filling the huge, 2 person tub and taking a soak.

The living room (25 paces from the front door- I have a 32" inseam...) had a comfy leather couch, a nice chair, gas fireplace which ran on a timer, full kitchen, a table with chairs and a VERY annoying thermostat. This thing NEVER stopped. Once you set the room to the temp desired, it would go til it reached this point, then a very loud click would switch back to cold air, then a loud click again to switch back to warm air to just undo what the cold air did, and this continued on and on ad nauseum. LOL It was NEVER just quiet. We were either hot or cold, and we finally turned it off so we could sleep.

Outside our sliding glass door, our deck overlooked the shopping center and ski runs to the right, and the wildlife preserve to the left. We had 2 chairs and a little hot tub waiting for our use, and later, when the power went out (with no notice from the hotel even though it was a planned outage for maintanence work) we clicked on our fireplace for some romantic light and went outside to sit in our tub under the stars. I have to say, that was nice.

Below us wafted scents of pizza, so on Saturday night we walked downstairs to Maxwells for some late-night eats (9pm) to find they had a TWO hour wait! The maitre'd asked if we were staying upstairs in the hotel, and when we answered in the affirmative, she said they could call us when our order was ready. That was fine with us, so we crossed the little street in the meantime and got some gelato to take back and put in our freezer for dessert. About 10 minutes later, a surprise knock on the door to find the maitre'd had our food brought up for us! That was a very welcome treat, as it was about 15 degrees outside and the thought of leaving our room again made us shiver. So one yummy pizza and caprese later, we dug into our DIVINE chocolate gelato.

All in all, it was an okay experience. We enjoyed the hot tub, big comfy bed, and convienient shopping. Try the bruschetta at Red Rock Brewery located in the same shopping center, AMAZING! (theres a movie theatre too!) Also, we tried Flanagans on Historic Main Street. That was FANTASTIC! Ask for internet at check-in, its free. They give you a paper with their log on info for wireless. One last thing, ski rentals are located outside the hotel in the back, extremely convenient if you dont want to bring your own. Rent in advance online for a 30% discount at www.skirentals.com/newpark.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Newpark Resort & Hotel? Share your experiences!