“A Very Mixed Bag: Great Suite, Dreadful Service, Strange Concept Overall” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Park City

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Park City
westchester county, NY
“A Very Mixed Bag: Great Suite, Dreadful Service, Strange Concept Overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in a Cottage Executive Suite with 2 children and had a highly variable experience at the hotel. We were a little apprehensive about the location….we’ve stayed at Stein Eriksen in the past and loved the convenience but we wanted a little more room this time and were willing to make the trade off with location. We took the shuttle one day to Park City and going out it was fine but the return was a little irritating. The hotel uses vans that only seat 7 people (inexplicably they use half the interior for ski storage instead of having exterior racks like the rest of the vans in the area) and we couldn’t fit in the first van…there was a mad rush to claim seats by a group of pushy guests that had actually queued up behind us…so we had to wait for the van to return. Not that big a deal but it led us to re-think how we got to the slopes the next day. We planned on skiing DV the rest of our stay and found that it was more convenient to just drive ourselves (we had rented an SUV). Parking at DV is very close to the base lodge at Snow Park and arriving at 8:30 to 9:00am the parking was plentiful. It was a lot more convenient at the end of the day to be in control of how you got home than to have to rely on the shuttle service.

But back to the hotel itself….the check in process overall was fine and the bell-staff were excellent and accommodating. I wish I could remember his name but the head bellman was the high point in service during our stay…routinely going out of his way to help us and our children. The suite was perfect for a family of four and we didn’t encounter any of the maintenance issues that other reviewers experienced although our televisions didn’t work properly for a day…presumably they’ll fix this minor problem. The layout of the room was well thought out for families and having a clothes dryer in the room was very handy for gloves, etc. after a day of skiing. The hot tub was a nice feature but there is virtually no privacy as you look across a small gap at another unit across the way. I have no idea why they don’t put up some screening foliage or a lattice of some sort. In any event, the beds were very comfortable and the children loved the large television in the living room. There is quite a bit of noise from other guests….you can clearly hear footsteps from the suite above and banging doors in the hallways. But we counted ourselves lucky. The family that we were travelling with had to endure a loud party in a neighboring suite that went until 2am! With small children trying to get to bed this environment is less than ideal. I should mention that we felt the property was a great value….I believe we paid just under $400 per night which included breakfast for two. The price is relevant because it seemed as though the low rate attracted younger groups that came to party….not a great family-friendly mix.

Breakfast in the restaurant was great….a nice buffet and the room itself was well appointed with beautiful views looking out at the mountains. The restaurant staff seemed eager to please and had a great attitude but there never seemed to be any management about which led to problems. One morning there would be virtually no guests at breakfast and they would have 5-6 staff waiting around doing nothing. The next morning the restaurant would be full and there would be only 2 harried waitresses trying their best to accommodate the crowd. There seemed to be nobody managing the place at all. One morning we were surprised to see a couple walk into breakfast in their bathrobes…..good grief, that’s pretty much the last thing I want to see in the morning! If guests lack basic manners or good sense, where was the management to ask them to come back properly dressed?

The real problem that we encountered with the hotel was the appalling service. With the exception of the bellmen and shuttle drivers, the staff seemed completely untrained with no attention to detail. It amazes me that the staff would re-set the pull out couch every morning and not once turn it down in the evening. It is frustrating when you return to your room and the children want to go to bed but you have to make repeated phone calls to housekeeping and wait over an hour for the bed to be prepared. We would have done it ourselves but they end up bringing a feather bed with them for turndown…which was actually a great addition and made the sleeper sofa quite comfortable. Daily maid service seemed to always miss a glass or not return a bathrobe….little things that you wouldn’t expect for a Leading Small Hotels of the World property (we’ve had great experiences with these properties in the past).

In short, this property has a serious management problem. There appears to be no training and no quality control for the service staff. The staffing model is horrendous….front desk overwhelmed with no backup. The staff is very friendly and again, they seem to be trying, but they aren’t trained to do their jobs properly. And they certainly aren’t trained to the level that we’ve come to expect from Leading Small Hotels of the World….I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose their certification based on this stay.

I don’t really understand the concept of the hotel either. It seems as though this property is more a failed real estate venture than a properly planned hotel. They’re trying to sell the cottages (good luck in this economy) and even some of the rooms in the main hotel which is fine…..but they’re trying to operate the property as a proper hotel at the same time. I’m not sure that formula works too well. As previous reviewers have stated, there is no bar which seems odd for a full service hotel and yet there are meeting rooms. The suites are lovely but why is there a stocked kitchenette? Are they seriously trying to cater to people that are planning on cooking meals in their room? That’s not a bad thing of course but it doesn’t seem at all consistent with their positioning as a full service hotel. So maybe the real problem I have with the place is that it has no idea what it’s trying to be...is it a condo rental? A full service hotel? A condo hotel?

Overall, I would say that this hotel has tremendous potential if they committed themselves to being good at one thing and if they fixed their service problems…which I wouldn’t blame on the service staff but on the management. I’m sure we’ll give it another chance at some point…hopefully they read these reviews and address their deficiencies.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

The hotel and spa are wonderful. Everything is thought of. It is a perfect place to just hang out or to relax after skiing. The views are all amazing. Service is top notch. A very nice concierge who is from Brazil. Would recommend this hotel anytime of year to anyone!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We have had the pleasure of staying at various Leading Hotels of the World over the years. We have always experienced the highest level of service and enjoyed each of the hotels very much. This is why we were totally surprised by the problems encountered during our visit to the Hotel Park City in Park City, Utah. The problems began even before we arrived. About 3 weeks prior to our visit I contacted the hotel regarding airport transportation. I booked a car service to pick us up upon arrival at SLC airport. About 2 weeks later, I realized that I had not received any confirmation from either the limo company or the hotel, so I called the hotel to confirm pick up. The hotel had no record that the limo had been booked, so we had to re-book. This was just the beginning of a series of problems created by a lack of communication among the staff at the hotel. Since we had not stayed at the Hotel Park City previously, I called before our arrival and asked about resort layout - I was assured that we would not have to "shuttle" to main building and that everything was an easy walk. On Thursday evening when we arrived, we called from the airport 2 times to make sure that our room would be ready. No one answered the phones at the hotel (as we found this was to be the case during the entire stay). When we arrived at the hotel (quite late as scheduled) the front desk man informed us that we would be staying in a cottage that was not an easy walk and required a shuttle. I asked if we could have a room in the main building and he said he would check. I asked him 3 more times and he never checked, he just took us to the shuttle. At this point it was quite late (around 11:30 p.m.) so we went to the cottage. Our ski equipment (which we had shipped in advance) was not in our room as requested so he had to locate that and have it delivered also.

When we arrived, the sofa bed had not been made up for our very tired 6 year old. Housekeeping could not be reached. Finally (after midnight) a bellman brought us sheets. We had to make the bed ourselves in the middle of the night. For $800 a night we should not be making beds!

The next morning, we called for a shuttle to bring us to main lodge and were told that it would be there very quickly. We walked down a flight of stairs to wait for shuttle (with our ski boots on) and waited but the shuttle did not arrive.  So, we started walking with our equipment. It was extremely icy and I fell and got a cut above my left eye. I was bleeding and hurt and we decided to leave our skis on the side of the road and walk to the lodge. When we get to the lodge we ask the bellman to go back and get our abandoned skis, but he somehow did not understand this and returned to the lodge with our empty ski travel bag that he must have gone into the room to get. My husband then had to go back with him again to get the skis as needed.

We spoke to the manager and general manager Guy Morris and told them our story. The decision was made that the best solution is to move to a room at the main lodge. They informed us that this is a lesser room category and we said ok. The manager told us that they would take $400 per day off of our rate.

Our things were moved to the new room without incident on Friday and the manager kindly sent us a gift basket. At 4:30 we were leaving the building for the evening and I asked front desk to be sure that the sofa bed would be made up for our daughter. When we returned at 8 pm it was not done, so once again we had to call and wait for sheets, which took over an hour to arrive.

The same thing occurred on Saturday night. Also, we called and asked for towels because we only had 2 and there were 3 of us. It's not pleasant to have to re-use a wet towel after showering when you return from skiing. Towels did not arrive, 1 1/2 hours later we mentioned this to front desk attendant and her response was that it wasn't on her "sheet". Anyone in a customer service position should have responded with "I'm so sorry, we will take care of it right away".  Her defensive, negative remark was very typical of many encounters with the staff there.

The same thing occurred yet again on Sunday night. After getting housekeeping in to make up the sofa bed (which I have no idea why they stripped each day) we all went to sleep. Then, at 9:45pm the doorbell rings - it was housekeeping asking if we want turn-down service. I have never been at a hotel that does this so late - waking up my husband and daughter.

In conclusion, I would like to say that something seems VERY wrong with the customer service and communication at this very beautiful hotel. Phones not answered, calls not returned, argumentative front desk staff (we heard 2 other altercations while we were there), beds not made up, clueless of room requests. Our reservations were made in October - I never requested to be in a cottage and quite specifically requested NOT to be where we would need to take a shuttle. Although our room rate was reduced by $400 for the nights that we spent in the main lodge, we were still charged the $799 for the first night in the cottage. We would like a $400 credit for the first night also. The stress of staying at this hotel ruined our vacation. Imagine each night returning to your room with a sleeping child and finding no sheets and bed not ready even after specifically requesting it. We have stayed in many hotels, we have never encountered problems such as this.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I will start this with my advice for anyone that doesn't want to read my full review - Stay at the St Regis Deer Crest, once it opens!

Ok, I am mid-way through my stay here, and already the flaws with this hotel are starting to get endless and tiring.

Arrival was great with the "head bellman" greeting us and getting all our luggage and helping us to check in. We were driven to our room and shown around and were very happy with everything at this stage. Total time from driving up to getting to the cottage was about 5 minutes. Unfortunately, the great experience ended here!

After a long drive it was time to have a shower, so I turn on the shower and wait and wait and wait, hot water takes at least 4 minutes to actually arrive at the shower.. I have a look a the pipes under the sink and the original plumbing has been modified and difference pipes added. Well whatever they have done hasn't worked as the hot water situation is far from acceptable. Everyday the procedure is to turn on all hot water taps in the cottage and then come back in 5 minutes to hot water. The shower itself is beautiful but I don't expect to waste water simply waiting for hot water, and wait several minutes before I can get in the shower.

The cottage has a hot tub on the deck which is very nice, except that they have forgotten to add chemicals as the smell from the water was disgusting and our bathers now smell of foul water smell. Added to this, there is a metal bar which is meant to assist you in removing the cover, but it is broken and is just sitting on the balcony. Several other cottage have the same problem. I am too scared to have a spa now as I don't feel like catching a disease or a cold from the foul water.

Breakfast, is in the Ruth Chris restaurant, and cannot be flawed, after a few days here the staff warm up to you and become more friendly, okay now back to reasons not to stay here. Where is the proper full-service restaurant and bar ? I would assume that any hotel that claims to be a small luxury hotel would have a full service bar and restaurant, but nothing like that here.

Transport, heavily advertised is the hotel shuttle service to the 3 surrounding ski resorts, however, they only really want to leave at the printed times which include 1, yes ONE service to the Canyons at 7:30am and then a few shuttles to Park City and Deer Valley in the morning and then a few in the afternoon. On paper this sounds nice, but they NEVER run to schedule and at times the vans are very full. As for the vans they are old and outdated, the old Ford van has 375,000 miles on it... Not what you expect from a 5 star hotel and as a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the world group. On that note I have emailed these concerns and several others and hope that SLH will investigate this hotel. It appears they only have two vans in total which for around 100 rooms/200+ guests, well you do the maths.....

Of note, coming back from Deer Valley today, we saw the old van with Hotel Park City on it, so walked up to it and were greeted by two out of uniform people...They did help with the skis and were friendly, but when arriving at the hotel they pretty much expected us to carry our own skis back to the check-in area for storage. Added to that they nearly drove off with one of our skis, as I refuse to carry my ski from the van to the storage when I am paying for this in the room rate each night. If we didn't go down and tell the driver not to drive off, one set of our skis would have disappeared to who-knows-where. I mentioned this one of the moronic bell boys but he didn't care, he was one of the un-helpful bellboys from the start, basically not a clue. Not a big thing really, but not what you expect from a hotel that tries so hard but fails.

Further to the transport provided, if you want to get into the town or dinner at night, expect to pay for a taxi or a shuttle service most times. We have avoided having to pay as the bellman appears to pay the taxi driver for us out of his own pocket/tips, I assume the large tip I provided the head bellman at the start of the trip worked well. I have lost count of the number of times people have commented to the front desk about the poor transport situation. A similar hotel would be the St Regis in Aspen, where they a fleet of around 6 luxury Cadallic/Mercedes SUV's to drive you anywhere around town for free (tips needed of course) A service like this does NOT exist at Hotel Park City.

An example of what happened to us, we were thrown in the taxi to Park City Mountain one morning as it was after the shuttle service times......We didn't have to pay as the bellboy covered it, with $ given to the driver... We were dropped off close to the mountain which was great. At the end of the day, we walked to where we assumed the van would pick us up... of course we didn't' see it so I tried to call the front desk... After three phone calls which went to voicemail as they were un-answered, I got through to someone who put me on hold.... I gave up holding after around 3 minutes and rang back, tried to get through again and just went to voicemail.... I then called back and got through to reservations, where a very lovely gentlemen got hold of the shuttle and had us picked up. I spent close to 10 minutes on the phone and probably $30 in phone calls to arrange this, once again not acceptable.

Soundproofing between cottages - The cottages have 4 rooms in each, and the noise from the room next door is deafening, you can hear the conversation of the people next door and every noise, also you can easily hear the doors slamming of the other 2 rooms downstairs and morning, again not a big thing in a $80 per night hotel but this hotel is not $80 per night. I will be repaying the joy of being woken up at 7am by our neighbor by letting our front door close loudly a few times tonight at 2am.

The TV's in the room are great with a large plasma in the bedroom and also the family room, HOWEVER, they have constant errors and "searching for satellite" errors, I contacted the front desk about this and they said they had Direct TV technicians on site fixing this but I doubt that. Again I don't expect errors on the TV in a hotel such as this.

As for the front desk, there are two sensational staff working there, and they do their best to help out, but are let down by poor/arrogant Management and procedures. They appear to always be understaffed and juggle too many phone calls at once and leave people on hold. The fastest I have managed to get through was in around 20 seconds, the main problem for this is that they are trying to do all the concierge work as mentioned above. Most phone calls take upwards of one minute to be answered.

Spa service - Okay so we had a nice spa, one of the best ever, but walking through a damp, smelly underground carpark to get to/from the spa is not acceptable. When first asking for directions to the spa the bellboy did apologize about the poor access to the spa. We were then promised a discount, but they would need to get back to me tomorrow to confirm this and they would call me back. Of course, once again no phone call, so I called back to enquire about this. The first person just asked me question after question so I asked for someone to call me back once they knew what was happening. The "assistant director" called me back and declined the discount and wasn't sure why it was suggested that I would be entitled to it in the first place. She fumbled her way through a poor apology to me but wouldn't budge on a discount for around $1000 worth of spa services. I ended up hanging up on her, as she wasn't that helpful at all, in fact that sums up pretty much the Management of this hotel.

On that note, I witnessed another guest demand to speak to the Manager and he was treated with such arrogance and "I don't care" to pretty much every complaint he raised with the Manager. The main basis for his complaint was that he requested a rollaway bed and when he arrived in the room there was not one. The Manager's answer to this was firstly "they are not guaranteed, you should have requested a larger room or two beds" He was also told that he did receive a mattress so that the child could sleep on the floor........ I was speechless at this stage....The guest was not happy with this, so the Manager went on to then tell the guest "you didn't book directly with the hotel anyway" of course the guest didn't take this very well and then started to rattle off other complaints about this stay, which were valid complaints. It was interesting to note that the guest DID book directly with the hotel, and the Manager was in-fact wrong. I was tempted to join in and complain but I wanted to go and ski instead.

Okay so I wanted the concierge to arrange a dinner for me, so I called and it went to voicemail.. I rang the front desk and they advised me that they don't have a concierge at the moment but maybe they could help... I should have hung up at this stage.... However, I told them what I wanted and they said they would call back in an hour... Of course no call back so I called back and she said "sorry I have been too busy to call back I will chase up your request and call you back tonight" Of course again no call back, so I called the next day and a lovely lady at the front desk was very apologetic and chased up the request, but the restaurant was now booked out... Thanks for that... I have actually seen the proper concierge twice, as aparently he only works at "peak times" Once again so much for a luxury hotel.

Bell boys/girls - Okay the night we arrived was outstanding but since then the service is poor/unacceptable. We drove back from dinner one night (remember no free shuttles) and waited and waited and waited 10 minutes for someone to valet our car, after getting sick of waiting I went inside to the front desk and no-one was there... I knocked on the door to the back office and someone came out and said they would try to chase someone up to valet the car.... After waiting 5 more minutes someone managed to take our car.... Again not acceptable at any time to wait this long... This happened two nights in a row so it's clearly not a once off occurrence.

If you haven't been treated properly in a proper 5 Star or Small Luxury Hotel before you will probably be happy with the nice accommodation and the fact that bellboys move your luggage, but if you compare this hotel to other similar properties such as St Regis it falls clearly short in many areas. We stayed in two ResortQuest properties prior to here and the service was far superior, full time concierges, complimentary shuttles ANYWHERE around town from 6am-11pm. No need to wait 30 mins for the next scheduled service which may or may not be full and detoured to another resort first. They also maintained the spa every 2nd day with chemicals and topping it up with water.

I will finish this up by saying that I have been waiting over 1 hour for maintenance to arrive to open the electronic in-room safe which has broken on us, leaving us unable to access our personal effects. I have called once to remind them to send maintenance, and they assure me they are on the way.... I would have a spa but then again that smell...... I should purchase some chlorine/bromide from Walmart while I wait......

Once again, once the St Regis Deer Crest opens in August 2009, stay there, on the slopes, where the service matches the price tag.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

We had a few options for our Christmas holiday, we had never been to Utah and following recommendations from our travel agent opted for Hotel Park City. What a brilliant stroke of luck!

We were greeted at reception by the bell boy. We had arrived late and were feeling tired, he addressed us by name, took our bags off to our room and left us in the capable hands of the reception staff who whisked us through check in and got us to our room.

The reception itself is (in our opinion) very grand with a real wow factor. Our first sight of the picture window with the beautifully lit tree, roaring log fire and grand piano really gave us a good feeling about the place.

We were taken to our room and again we were not let down. We had a cottage delux room. A good sized living space with 2 large leather sofas, a fire place, Bose surround music system, walk in shower, Starbucks coffee, hot tub, the most comfortable bed in the world, you name it, we had it.

In the morning we had our breakfast which caters for the heartiest of skiers; they have everything!

We asked for transport to the slopes and Eric the bell boy took us up to Park City. Eric tipified the rest of the staff, very courteous, efficient........ what am I talking about he was just a bloody nice guy, they all were.

In the evening we asked for a taxi in to town, one of the bell boys jumped forward and told us he would take us. Not only did he drop us off outside a restaurant he had recommended, he gave us a card and told us to ask the waiter to ring the number on it when we had finished and he would come and pick us up!! We had this service every day!

In summary, we could not have asked for a better place to stay. I honestly could not find fault with anything, I have read a few complaints on here and some of them where reported during our stay, all I can say is there is no pleasing some people!!

We will be booking again next year without a doubt and cannot wait.

• Liked — Luxury at its best
  • Disliked — That we had to leave it!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

The hotel suffers from the fact that it has no centre or central focus. While the common areas are quite striking they are not really very inviting and have the feel of a corporate area or space to pass through. The rooms are very nice but removed from the hotel and the feeling is detached.
The lack of any meaningful bar was also a disappointment but Park City has many good bars and restaurants and is only a $10 taxi ride away. The fact that the hotel did not hold much attraction in the evening was in hindsight a bonus forcing us to sample good local restaurants.
The state liquor store is across from the hotel as is a supermarket which offers flexibility to dine in the cottage and enjoy good wine a little cost in comparison to hotel/bar prices.
The staff were very attentive and the concierge service very efficient.
Great ski-ing especially at Deer Valley but the hotel lacked he atmosphere or buzz of good resort hotels.

• Liked — size and quality of accommodation
  • Disliked — lack of atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Our family of 6 spent 8 days over Christmas at the Hotel Park City. The rooms (although small) and view are lovely and the beds comfortable, (the sofa beds were good, even though they seemed to always forget to make at least one of them up). The bathroom had a large jacuzzi and multiple head shower.
We had 2 connecting suites. Each had a kitchenette on one wall next to the fireplace. We didn't use it. I couldn't fit one more item in the room! The fridge was nice, but even if i wanted to cook, there was no table to eat at! Storage space would have been more helpful.
There was not enough space to put our clothing away, 6 small drawers. No hooks for wet ski jackets or shelves for mittens, helmets, etc. It was stressful trying to keep the rooms organized and functional.
We had the air conditioning on during our stay although it was surely turned off. It was so very hot in the room, we had to open and close the door to our back porch (which was never shoveled off to allow access) quite often. Hot, cold, etc. We would turn on the fireplace around 4am to warm it up a bit.
The main area of the hotel was the biggest disappointment. No game tables, rarely a fire in the beautiful fireplace due to the association's 'fire burn time' rules. No areas for teens or young adults to gather.
On one occassion, a husband and wife scam team walked right by the front desk, past the concierge and tried to sell my young adult children 'cheap' gift certificates that were obviously stolen. My oldest spotted the scam the second time they approached her and told them firmly to get lost. I can't imagine the hotel staff not being aware of this happening. For this reason alone, I won't go back to this hotel.
Sitting on laps in the shuttle was not comfortable either. If you go in prime ski season, rent a car.
The spa was too hard to get to. You had to walk through a parking garage. I didn't use it, but the boys used the gym and the girls went for a couple of treatments together.
We heard from many return guests that things at this hotel are going downhill and fast perhaps due to new management and homeowner association control.
Breakfasts are included and good.
Ruth Chris steak house does not add to the hotel's intrigue. Unfortunate that a hotel of this supposed caliber has no restaurant, gift shop, bar, etc.
All in all, if you travel with your family, book one more room than you think you will need, or stay in a cottage. You will need to walk over to the main building for breakfast, spa and shuttles though.
The staff was great, but the conceirge seemed to cater to return guests. I guess that is normal, just shouldn't be quite so obvious. We and another family we were travelling with were made to get out of the shuttle one evening on our way to a dinner reservation to allow another family to 'go first'. Not good.
The hightlight of our trip was the town, restaurants (great meal every night thanks to my husband's research) and cross country skiing located on the property but not affiliated with the hotel.
Happy skiing!

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Park City? Share your experiences!