“More a condo with a good concierge service” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Park City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2001 Park Avenue, Park City, UT 84068   |
Ranked #4 of 59 hotels in Park City
London
“More a condo with a good concierge service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

The hotel suffers from the fact that it has no centre or central focus. While the common areas are quite striking they are not really very inviting and have the feel of a corporate area or space to pass through. The rooms are very nice but removed from the hotel and the feeling is detached.
The lack of any meaningful bar was also a disappointment but Park City has many good bars and restaurants and is only a $10 taxi ride away. The fact that the hotel did not hold much attraction in the evening was in hindsight a bonus forcing us to sample good local restaurants.
The state liquor store is across from the hotel as is a supermarket which offers flexibility to dine in the cottage and enjoy good wine a little cost in comparison to hotel/bar prices.
The staff were very attentive and the concierge service very efficient.
Great ski-ing especially at Deer Valley but the hotel lacked he atmosphere or buzz of good resort hotels.

• Liked — size and quality of accommodation
  • Disliked — lack of atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

465 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Our family of 6 spent 8 days over Christmas at the Hotel Park City. The rooms (although small) and view are lovely and the beds comfortable, (the sofa beds were good, even though they seemed to always forget to make at least one of them up). The bathroom had a large jacuzzi and multiple head shower.
We had 2 connecting suites. Each had a kitchenette on one wall next to the fireplace. We didn't use it. I couldn't fit one more item in the room! The fridge was nice, but even if i wanted to cook, there was no table to eat at! Storage space would have been more helpful.
There was not enough space to put our clothing away, 6 small drawers. No hooks for wet ski jackets or shelves for mittens, helmets, etc. It was stressful trying to keep the rooms organized and functional.
We had the air conditioning on during our stay although it was surely turned off. It was so very hot in the room, we had to open and close the door to our back porch (which was never shoveled off to allow access) quite often. Hot, cold, etc. We would turn on the fireplace around 4am to warm it up a bit.
The main area of the hotel was the biggest disappointment. No game tables, rarely a fire in the beautiful fireplace due to the association's 'fire burn time' rules. No areas for teens or young adults to gather.
On one occassion, a husband and wife scam team walked right by the front desk, past the concierge and tried to sell my young adult children 'cheap' gift certificates that were obviously stolen. My oldest spotted the scam the second time they approached her and told them firmly to get lost. I can't imagine the hotel staff not being aware of this happening. For this reason alone, I won't go back to this hotel.
Sitting on laps in the shuttle was not comfortable either. If you go in prime ski season, rent a car.
The spa was too hard to get to. You had to walk through a parking garage. I didn't use it, but the boys used the gym and the girls went for a couple of treatments together.
We heard from many return guests that things at this hotel are going downhill and fast perhaps due to new management and homeowner association control.
Breakfasts are included and good.
Ruth Chris steak house does not add to the hotel's intrigue. Unfortunate that a hotel of this supposed caliber has no restaurant, gift shop, bar, etc.
All in all, if you travel with your family, book one more room than you think you will need, or stay in a cottage. You will need to walk over to the main building for breakfast, spa and shuttles though.
The staff was great, but the conceirge seemed to cater to return guests. I guess that is normal, just shouldn't be quite so obvious. We and another family we were travelling with were made to get out of the shuttle one evening on our way to a dinner reservation to allow another family to 'go first'. Not good.
The hightlight of our trip was the town, restaurants (great meal every night thanks to my husband's research) and cross country skiing located on the property but not affiliated with the hotel.
Happy skiing!

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Just returned from a week-long ski vacation in Park City over Christmas week. Our family of 6 shared two connecting rooms at the Hotel Park City. I chose the hotel because I had stayed there 2 years prior and recalled it to be an elegant and had top-notch service. On this trip, the experience was inconsistent and it felt to us that for a hotel of the level they portray, there should be more to offer.

Inconsistency:

Shuttle Vans--In the winter, the hotel caters to skiers. Guests must travel from the hotel to one of several ski mountains nearby. This is fine, but we depend heavily on the hotel’s complementary shuttle vans for transport. (The hotel advertises this service). The shuttles were often unavailable or and sometimes over-crowded causing guests to either have to make their own arrangements (taxi, limo) or wait 20-30 minutes for the next van. On several occasions, when the shuttle van was not available, the staff would offer to call us a “taxi”. I agreed as it is a standard $12 taxi fare around town, only to find out at the end of the 5 minute trip that they had contracted their in-house limousine service (still using a standard van) which charged $35 and up per trip. Making several round trips per day (skiing, restaurants, shopping, etc.) would cost a fortune at $35 a pop. So I mentioned to the Bell Captain that I felt this “bait-and-switch” was unfair. He apparently appreciated my comment for he “found me” a hotel courtesy shuttle on our next trip, but the substitution practice still continued.

Housekeeping—our family needed to use the pull-out sofa bed each night in both rooms. The housekeeping would prepare the bed about 50% of the time. The times they did not, our calls for the service were met at least on two occasions with no-one showing up to make the bed. This isn’t the end of the world, but at 11pm at night with children wanting to go to sleep, it can be very frustrating, especially when all it takes is a note or schedule by housekeeping to include it in their turn-down routine. Another surprise was that housekeeping would not remove dirty plates and service from room service.

Ski valet—we did not use this service extensively, but friends had their skis misplaced for an entire morning, missing their day's ski opportunity. Stories of mixed-up, lost, and even “extra” ski equipment were plentiful

“Something Missing”:

Food service—the hotel has what I would describe as limited food/restaurant options. When I stayed there 2 years ago, they operated a full-fledged dining room/restaurant in which one could get the three meals and snacks in between. Subsequently they contracted with Ruth Chris’ Steakhouse to operate their only dining room in the evening. Unless a guest wants to dine at Ruth Chris’s for dinner, there is no other restaurant. We were shut-out of Ruth Chris’s on the evening of our arrival due to being “fully booked” (even though the hostess initially told me that they had open tables and just needed to juggle servers—her manager over-ruled her). We avoided the restaurant from that point. The hotel uses the same Ruth Chris-space for a nice breakfast buffet (included with the room rate) and rely on a small sandwich shop or “luncheonette” and room service for the remainder of the day. In my opinion, a top-class hotel should have a legitimate dinning room and service. For what it’s worth the room service and snack shop food was pretty good.

Hotel Layout is Odd—to get to the health club and spa, one must go to the basement and walk through a stark, unappealing parking garage. The health club itself is nicely equipped and those of my family who used the spa services seemed to like it. But the hotel layout does not lend itself to its comfortable use. Another example is to get to from the lobby to the luncheonette or golf pro-shop/cross country skiing, one has to take an elevator up a floor, walk a corridor, and then take an elevator down (or walk around the outside of the complex) all to go what should be a short distance on the same level. Keep in mind that this would not be horrible if one weren’t in layers of outdoor clothing and ski boots having come from or going to these activities.

Main lobby/Great Room—The hotel has a very nice Great Room with a large fireplace and ample lounge seating. It’s the only common area in the hotel that I am aware of. You’d think with the hotel’s built-in shortcomings, the owner/management would strive to enhance the only central gathering place in the entire hotel. There is a single checker/chess board in the vast room. One evening our family sat around and played a “round-robin”. The fireplace had gone out. We asked the Bell Staff if they would re-light the fire, and were told that it was past “burn-time”. He explained that the hotel’s Homeowner’s Association put a prohibition on burning logs past 8:30pm due to the high expense of wood. After he explained the “company line” he winked and “snuck” a log on the fire for us. As absurd as this was, it became a running joke throughout or stay. If you tried to relax in the lobby after “burn-time”, expect to do so without the warmth of the fire, ski lodge or not. There is no “hotel library”, no gift shop, no activity room for younger kids, etc. It is a very stark experience compared to many equivalent hotels. It is possible that the hotel’s limited accoutrements stem from the fact that a large share of their rooms are in separate “cottages” and not in the main hotel. Perhaps the designers and management depend on these guests to be somewhat autonomous from the main hotel and not rely on its services as much as in a traditional hotel.

On the plus-side:

--The staff all have great attitudes and seem to sincerely try to overcome some of the structural and management shortcomings of the place. What they lacked in experience they more than made up for with enthusiasm.
--The company operating the cross country skiing concession does a great job. Our family used them for lessons and a day of skiing across several well-done courses (on the golf course and surrounding land) and it was a great experience.
--The hotel is still more luxurious that some of the chain hotels in the area
--The rooms are appointed very nicely and are comfortable. They all have a kitchenette with a refrigerator, microwave, sink, etc. making in-room snacks convenient.
--Park City is a nicely laid-out town with great restaurants (expensive) and fun shopping

I am not sure if I would stay at this property again. I got the feeling that they had slipped in quality since my original stay in ’06 and I have no reason to expect things to improve. In my opinion, if one wants to ski Park City, and put up with the hassle of not having ski-in/ski-out, the property should be top notch and above reproach. The Hotel Park city is not that.

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Wonderful hotel, part of the Leading Small Hotels of the World. Onyl 2 restuarants: Chris Ruth (only open for dinner and the only bar in hotel); and a "grill/cafe" that you can get breakfast from. There is 24 hour room service, a spa (quite pricey) and a gym.

The Room themselves ultimately is where I was (when in the hotel) and it was exceptional: all suites with kitchens (not kitchennete but full kitchens with stove, plates, utenseils, everything); washer/dryer: living rooms with pull out sofae beds; fireplace.... there are 2x TVs and a jacuzzi bathtub. Tolietries are Bulgari. The stay was incredibly comforrtable with a quite, not overdone, sense of luxury.

Across there street from the hotel is a convenience store, if you are planning to do any cooking or just for food items.

The hotel staff is very friendly but did not seem to be able to work very quickly. Check out line was so moving as there was only one person that was answering the phone as well as checking in/out the guests!

Overall a lovely place to stay.

• Liked — Luxurious rooms
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

This is a very nice hotel - the rooms are wonderful - beds super comfy and bathrooms nice and big and luxurious.

The property is nice too - definitely request a room away from the lobby - the rooms near the lobby are not noisy but they are obstructed by a wheelchair ramp going down to the pool and the balcony is not as private as the rooms further away.

The bar and the restaurant are kind of an odd set up but the bartender is really nice.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The unhelpful and confused front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
saratoga spring, UT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

GREAT RATE $279 ... however, from the time of check in it was a complete disaster. I was insured at the time of my reservation with American Express that I would receive an upgrade if available, two spa massages, breakfast for two each morning, and a late check of 4pm. None of this was obviously taken care of as I was placed in the smallest room possible which at the time of checkout was confirmed that they were not even close to being 100 percent full, I had to battle with the spa about my two massages and breakfast as well as the massages were on my bill at check out. I was disturbed in my room at 1pm stating that noon was there check out time and that I would have to leave unless I wanted to incure a half day charge, I explained to them that I was with American Express, and they stated that they did not give discounts or special amenities for American Express and that I would have to take my issue to the accounting department. I ended up leaving without signing anything and they charged my card for the room, tax, breakfast, massages, and an extra full day charge because we did not leave until 3:30pm ... I understand this is their off season...I can not imagine staying here during ski season...WHAT A JOKE

• Liked — THE RATE: The rate was great if you received all the amenities, complete disappointment
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Park City in one of their Executive Suites (smallest room) for two nights. Overall the true test is would I stay here again, and the answer is yes. Now for the details, the room has a separate living room area with frig, microwave, stove, dishwasher and sink. Stocked with most utensils like a mini-condo. It also has a Bose stereo system, gas fireplace and a private balconey. The room even had a doorbell, verses the usual guest service knock. The hotel had a turndown service at night and provided extra towels and anything else that was needed. So if you are looking for a romantic getaway this will fit the ticket. There is a Ruth Chris Steak House on-site (though this is the second time I've eaten at Ruth Chris and the sweet potato side dish was the best part of the meal). On the website the hotel advertises Starbucks coffee, though we found out it's provided in canisters, not an actual Starbucks. Also right at the hotel is the Park City Golf Club, which made it very convenient just to walk downstairs and play leaving my wife with the car if needed. Nice pool outdoors so very nice for the summer. I booked through hotels.com and had no issues or problems. All the hotel personnel were helpful and friendly. Now the only detractors I would say is that the hotel markets itself as a "fine hotel of the world" they even have it documented in a book. However, they are not a five star. A very nice hotel/condo would be more how I'd rate them. Also, they charged a $10 resort fee per day (this is a pet peeve - havent' they charged me enough for the room already?). Additionally, hotel is only about 5 mins from Park City Main St. for shopping and resturants. During the summer Park City holds a farmers market on Sundays from 9 or 10 till 4pm - lots of craft type stuff, probably better than the Arts Festival held the first week in Aug. Anyway, hotel is very nice and I would recommend (perfect for a couple getaway and close to the golf course - you can tell who wrote this review).

• Liked — Bathroom Jaz Tub and Shower with Bench
  • Disliked — Steak @ Ruth Chris
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Park City? Share your experiences!