“Great service, great skiing” 5 of 5 stars

Trail's End Lodge
2100 Deer Valley Drive South, Park City, UT 84060   |
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Chicago, Illinois
“Great service, great skiing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We spent 5 days at Deer Valley this March. The staff is amazing! They will go to great lengths to make your stay a relaxing, wonderful experience. Our unit was clean, large and convenient. Our teens enjoyed the private hot tub. The daily breakfast was wonderful. The staff is incredibly efficient, polite and friendly. We appreciated the shuttle service to Park City and the airport. Mark and Drew were two drivers we especially enjoyed getting to know. I cannot say enough about how efficient and kind the entire staff is at Deer Valley! The front desk, the drivers, the breakfast staff, the cleaning people, the ski rental staff, etc are all friendly and incredibly helpful. We will definitely return!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Just back from an eight day stay at Trail's End with two adults and three young children. The location is very convenient (very short walk to the Success trail, where you can ski down to two lifts, or short walk over to the snow park lodge for ski school drop off). Our unit was large and comfortable, the second bedroom had a queen and a twin and there was still plenty of room for an air mattress for our youngest. Breakfast and après ski offerings were very good and convenient. But most notable is the fantastic staff. They made everything incredibly easy before our arrival, helping with grocery shopping, dinner and activity reservations and ski rentals, and were super friendly and responsive throughout our entire stay. And we really appreciated the shuttle in and out of Park City. Many thanks to everyone there for helping make our trip a success.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Just returned from spring break there and wanted to give a shout out to the staff!! This is the 4th or 5th time to stay there and this time they totally out did themselves! We had to switch units (2 family group upstairs from us...lots of little feet clumping around) BUT were lucky to have been able to get another unit due to high volume. Couldn't have been more helpful in getting everything moved out!! Much appreciated!! Great location..great massages...just great service!!! We didn't want for anything!! It's a "lodgey" feel which we like and each unit is individually owned and decorated..might be a good idea to book through central res, THEN call office directly to see what units are available. Jeremy was MORE then gracious when helping us move. The front desk staff (Maura..Kristy) was so helpful with all other requests. They make it very easy to relax and just enjoy!!! If you give it a try, you won't be disappointed!!! Cheers!

Room Tip: Call office directly to discuss options
Natchez, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

The staff at Trails End were exceptionally friendly and accomodating. Loved the fact that I could ski right up to my front door too! Huge complimentary breakfast every morning and drinks every afternoon. I would definitely consider myself a tough critic when it comes to hotels (a hotel-snob if you will) and I was very impressed with the cleanliness, the location, and the overall experience I had there. Needless to say, I will definitely be returning back to Trails End in the future. :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Fanatstic vacation venue that specializes in amazing customer service. Extremely friendly , and helpful staff. Good breakfast, and Après Ski everyday. Ski's are put out every morning, and you are 75 yard cat walk to ski out. It is an easy "ski-in".
Our 1 bedroom unit (#105) with 1 1/2 bath was spacious, has a fireplace, and has a stackable washer/dryer. Very roomy for a 1 Bedroom. Very comfortable.
Honest feedback time.... Very dated for the price. Putting two flat screen TV's in is nice, but modernize the kitchen and bathroom.Stained carpet, Early 1990's furniture and decor. Upon arrival, shower was backed up, lamp bulbs were expired, and blinds on windows were broken. They quickly fixed all, but it shouldn't be that way at these prices. We didn't have the heart to keep complaining, but the hot tub was barely functional.
We were pleased with the atmosphere, notable high level of service,not real happy about unit 105.

Room Tip: Ask for a updated unit if seeking a 1 bedroom. Units are individually owned (and decorated) DV Reso...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DV_emarketing, General Manager at Trail's End Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Good Day.
Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience at Trail’s End Lodge. I apologize for the shortfall in the areas you mentioned and that we discussed over the phone. We have already begun to address these items and will share your comments with the homeowner as well. Thank you again for taking the time to speak to me today. I am glad you will return to the Trail’s End Lodge when back in Deer Valley and we look forward to your return. Please contact me personally when you are ready to make your reservations.

Mark Murphy
Trail's End Lodge
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is the second year that we have stayed at Trail's End with our 3 school age kids. The accommodations are very attractive, clean and comfortable and have everything that you need for a ski vacation. The Trail's End staff is very friendly and accommodating and they do helpful "extras" such as delivering lift tickets to your door daily and bringing your skis in and out of storage each day. We found the complimentary shuttle service to be very convenient and there is no need to have a car. The breakfast and apres ski worked very well for our family. Considering the nice accommodations, the pleasant and helpful staff and the convenient location, Trails End is the prefect place to stay for a Deer Valley ski vacation.

Room Tip: Each unit is furnished individually, so I would ask specific questions about sleeping accommodations...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is a great location if you have kids in ski school or simply want to be near the Carpenter Lift, the main lift at base level. A very easy walk. We were a party of five (mom, aunt, three kids) and booked a two bedroom with a sleeper sofa. We were guaranteed the unit had a sleeper sofa. It did not. Though the front desk apologized, they said units are individually owned and the owners can change furniture anytime. This forced one of my kids to sleep on a regular couch for six nights and my aunt and I to double up in a King bed.

We were in unit 403 the week before President's Week. It was charmingly appointed. But the heater in the children's room did not keep heat during the night. We set it at 72. It stayed about 63/64 from 11 p.m. to about 6 a.m. Each time we asked that it be checked out, they claimed it was "fine." The maintenance man actually said the problem could be 1. dust or 2. too many hot showers, using up the hot water. And, yet, 14 hours after our showers were done the room still wasn't keeping temperature.

The building-wide fire alarm went off one night after 11 p.m. There is no PA system so no one knew what to do, i.e. no false alarm announcements, no evacuate now announcements. There was no sign, smell or sight of fire. but to err on the side of caution, I made my exhausted children wake up, bundle up and leave the building. Calls to the front desk went unanswered, we couldn't find any staff as we wandered in the night air. I finally saw someone with a nametag who assured us it was a false alarm. The next morning, the manager told us to be grateful the fire alarm worked and did what it was supposed to do. So, I said "oh, there must have been a fire then. where was it? " He said there was no fire, something tripped it. It could have been dust, he said. SEE PRIOR PARAGRAPH: Dust gets the rap for everything at The Trail's End!! This is surprising as houskeeping seems to be one of the more capable departments at this establishment.

I asked for a dinner reservation one night on Main Street in park city. I said I didn't care where as long as it had a kids menu. We weren't there for the food. The shuttle driver drove us to Grub Steak, which is where the Trail's End made our reservation. It was definitely family friendly with acceptable food. But it is not on Main Street!! Our shuttle driver was kind enough to drive us down Main Street on the way home so we could at least see it..

I have to give props to Pepito who drove my daughter to the Park City Clinic with me when she was injured in ski school. He went beyond the call of duty to help get her in and out of the van safely. When we arrived at the clinic, he hustled in (unprompted) and came out with a wheel chair and wheeled her in. Same thing on the return. He even stopped at the drugstore so I could run in to get her Advil. He was also the only one who finally clued us in the night of the fire alarm.

Beside the heating problem, one of our toilets kept stopping up and the drain in the master shower wasn't functioning. These problems were addressed in a timely manner.

The day before departure, I asked for my itemized grocery bill (they offer a pre arrival shopping service). I was shocked to see a bill for nearly $300, with no itemization. Apparently there was only one person who could print an itemized bill and he was out until the next day. When I finally got hold of it, I saw my groceries were only $46, including tax. With a service fee of 18 percent and a shopping charge of $20/hour, it still couldn't come close to $300. It turned out they had charged someone else's liquor bill to my account and charged for two hours of shopping. Of course, they credited the incorrect liquor bill and reduced the shopping time to an hour but I wonder how often this happens and how many guests actually check.

Our condo was in a building "uphill" from the main lobby building. Just beware if any of your party is slightly immobile, there are a lot of stairs. You have to take an elevator from your unit to the garage level, walk across the garage to a set of outside stairs that take you down to the main building, where the apres ski and breakfast are served. It is also where the lobby is located. It is no big deal if you are healthy and in sneakers. But if you are a beginner skier in ski boots, it is a little tough. I imagine it would be tough with toddlers or the elderly as well. Unfortunately two of my children were injured while in ski school and spent the last couple days on crutches. So this route became difficult and somewhat dangerous (always covered with some snow and ice) for them.

This was only our second "western" ski trip, so I'm not sure exactly what constitutes ski in and ski out. My two older kids and and I tried to ski out the first day. The ski locker room was on the floor above ours. There is a bit of long trail from the locker room to the downhill run. You have to pole a ways or just carry your skis to some point on the trail where you are comfortable poling the rest of the way to the run. We ended up checking our skis nightly at Deer Valley itself. We would just walk over from the Trail's End. It was a manageable walk even in ski boots.

The breakfast and the apres ski were great to have on location. It got everyone up and out in the morning. And the apres ski made it unnecessary to go out for or cook dinner most nights. Mommy like : ) Most of the staff were very friendly -- if largely ineffective at actually fixing things or correcting situations.

And I almost forgot, the kids loved the jacuzzi. Each unit has its own. It was so much fun to sit in your own steaming jacuzzi and look out over the beautiful snowy landscape of Deer Valley.

Room Tip: If someone in your party has trouble with stars (particularly outdoor stairs in wintery weather), as...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
DV_emarketing, General Manager at Trail's End Lodge, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
I would like to take this time to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us at Trail’s End Lodge. We take great pride in exceeding our guests’ expectations and it is obvious we fell short in some areas. We are reviewing your comments and addressing not only our service but procedural opportunities to better improve our guests’ experience. I am glad that you felt your interaction with Pepito was above and beyond expectation and I will be certain to share your comments with him personally.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to constantly improve. I am happy to discuss any aspect of your stay in further detail and please do not hesitate to contact me at mmurphy@trailsend-deervalley.com.

Mark Murphy

Been to Trail's End Lodge? Share your experiences!