“Great resort but be careful about buying” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off Room Rate
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Park City
La Canada, CA
“Great resort but be careful about buying”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Up until tonight, I would have given this resort a 5 star. All the posts are true and great about the facility. Good to visit but use caution with buying. We bought a 2BR here in 1999 in the pre-building phase, and my kids grew up at this resort skiing week 51 fixed for Christmas week bi-annually. Needless to say that we had to pay a good amount in 1999 since at the presentation 4-6 years ago, the 2BR rate was $50,000 and $80,000 biannually/annually respectively for fixed week 51. Our experiences this year was beyond awful.

We could not use the resort and gave our unit to friends who deserved to be treated like the Rockefellers that David Seigel boasted on the internet. After I had raved about the resort, I called to request for a unit on the 9th or 8th floor 2-3 weeks ago and again on 12-20-14 . During that time, I told Josh that I had sent a gift to my friends that arrived on 12-18 and wanted to make sure that they could deliver the tower of treats on Sunday 12-21-14. Josh who was the day manager confirmed my room requests and transferred me to the Guest Services for the package instructions. Clay could not find it and told me that he would call me back later that day. I had to go out of the country but was able to checked my voicemail regularly to find that Clay had not called back.

After adjusting to time change and jet lag, I called on 12-23-14 and spoke to Rebecca at 9am Utah time and discovered that my friends were placed on the lowest floor of the Elk Lodge and no one knew anything about the gift. She again promised to call me back but failed to do so. At 6pm Utah time, I called again and got Julia who was extremely irritated when I told her the history of the problem and finally, I had to ask for a manager. I spoke to Zack E. who did eventually discovered that the packaged was misplaced for days, and they delivered my gift (fruit and baked goods) after I called Rebecca but did not know why no one contacted me. When I asked to be transferred to my friends, they transferred me to the wrong room.

I found out a bigger problem with my ownership on this call when Zack informed me the upper floor units are assigned now based on owners purchasing the specific unit. He could not confirm how recently the change was made. Bottom line, I no longer have access to these units unless one becomes available, even though at the time of sale in 1999 we were told that we could access ANY 2BR on site. Since week 51 has been sold out for years, this means that it would be unlikely for us to enjoy the views from the upper floors. As a token, Zack told me that they gave me a room with a vaulted ceiling per my request.

I guess I feel cheated, and the thousands of dollars that I spent in 1999 is no longer good enough to get us "any 2 BR" as promised. We own at two other timeshares associated with major hotel chains and am glad that we only have this one unit with Westgate. The Canyons is great and we actually thought about upgrading our unit to a 4 bedroom at this resort. After this incident, I think Hilton down the road would be a safer option for us since we have never had problems with Hilton.

As much as Mr. David Seigle boasts about making the average Wal-Mart shopper feel like a Rockerfeller, I think he needs to understand that hard-working people don't need the opulent lifestyle of the Rockerfellers but we expect honesty and integrity. I just want him to honor the sale agreement that we have enjoyed for so many years. I am sure that Mr. Seigel was able to make more money for the same units in this slow economy, but at what expense to the owners. I have sent a complaint to the ownership department and will update this post if they remedy my account for future use. Perhaps I have been wrong about my right to use my timeshare all these years. I will await their response. I am only a physician, not a commercial real estate broker or an attorney. Maybe I am just too stupid to understand that Westgate has the right to limit my access. I think for my future, I will stay away from purchasing anything affiliated with David Seigel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Being a local from the Salt Lake Valley, it is nice to escape to Park City for the weekend every now and then, even if it is just one night. This trip, we decided to stay at the Westgate away from downtown Park City. The room had a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom and an amazing steam shower. The room was very spacious and offered all the luxuries of a five-star resort at a four-star price. We took advantage of the indoor-outdoor pool and ate dinner at the Edge Restaurant. The resort is very spacious and difficult to get around the first day but the staff was VERY helpful and would stop what they were doing to walk you to your destination on the property. Did I mention the free shuttle to downtown Park City? That means you can valet your car at the resort and then not deal with all the traffic around town. This is a great resort for couples and just as great for families.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Bison Lodge. The higher up the better the view. The king bed suite with the in-roo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stay here with our children and grandchildren every August, and it's a wonderful places for people of all ages, like us. The indoor/outdoor pool is terrific for little ones. It's about 4 feet deep in the center and tapers to shallow water at each end. There's lots of deck space and a hot tub on each side of the pool. The suites are comfortable, spacious, and fully supplied. The kitchen has a full-size refrigerator, stove and oven, and dishwasher. It's easy to take lots of gorgeous hikes that start just outside the back door of the resort. The lift also runs in summer for people who want to ride to the top.

Room Tip: If you plan to use the pool a lot, request a room nearby. The resort is huge, and the hallways mean...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Our family of 5 (3 you d adult children) had a blast as usual..skier services and the Aloha rental shop makes life easy and the resort shuttles to all local destinations makes the stay so enjoyable. Highly reccomend a day trip to one of the other ski resorts within an hours drive.

• Stayed December 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We booked our trip a year and half ago and arrived on Dec 15th.. The parking garages were about 25 percent full when we arrived and we were put in the "luxury building" bison lodge.. It was very cramped and outdated and way far away from the lift.. I was told they were booked and we couldn't have an a different room.. I proceeded to tell them I had owned a travel agency for years and they were not booked.. After a brief conversation he said he would ask the manager the next day.. So I called the next morning and the manager said give him 20 min and an hour later I called back and he raised his voice and told me it would be another hour they were busy so he called after about an hour and moved us to the Elk Lodge (we didn't have neighbors on the right side of us the whole week) the resort is nice but there are too many options to deal with attitudes about a room when they were no where near full..

Stayed December 2014
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Westgate last march and just booked another trip for this year. Great amenities and location. our room had a jacuzzi tub and the shower doubled as a steam room which was perfect after a day on the slopes. The food on premises was really good. It is located at the base of the Canyons mountain great riding.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked a bedroom suite with the off season price. If I went again, I'd either stick with the studio suite (it was actually much bigger with a more functional layout) or upgrade. Either way, my room was horrible. Bad lay out, but the worst was that I could hear and smell EVERYTHING my neighbors did (watch the princess bride, followed by white Christmas, followed by cooking up what had to be burnt popcorn and a slab of bacon).

The store is lacking, though had a nice selection of drinks and packaged food. I would highly recommend the Edge for dinner, but otherwise head off resort for meals.

The resort has nice discounts for offseason, is right on the Canyons, and has rentals in site, so for that I give it 4 stars.

Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Been to Westgate Park City Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!