“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Goldener Hirsch Inn

Save Saved
You added Goldener Hirsch Inn to your Saves list
Goldener Hirsch Inn
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7570 Royal Street East, P.O. Box 859, Park City, UT 84060   |
Ranked #7 of 59 hotels in Park City
florida
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful small hotel. Great location 50 yards from lift. Service is exceptional. Excellent breakfast included. Very convenient shuttle to Main Street in park city. Rooms are well appointed with marble bathrooms. Would avoid rooms on ground floor if possible. Overall exceptional stay and would love to return.

• Stayed December 2012

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked our first visit to Deer Valley and could not have been more pleased that we chose Goldener Hirsch. Beginning with the reservation process, everything aspect of our stay was a pleasure. We chose Goldener Hirsch because it is privately owned and managed, although we never anticipated such a superlative level of service. We were treated like family from the time we arrived and this standard was consistently maintained until we sadly departed. Kelly Davidson and his entire team (too numerous to mention individually) all anticipated our needs even before we did (no small feat), without ever being intrusive, and provided a combination of friendliness and efficiency which is second to none.

The authentically replicated Austrian chalet provides a salubrious respite from the outside world. The beautifully appointed rooms are indeed a sanctuary, and the beds are a haven made in heaven. The restaurant served up splendid meals through the entire day, beginning with gourmet breakfasts replete with fresh baked pastries and ending with expertly prepared and beautifully presented dinners in an elegant setting. On Christmas evening we enjoyed an extraordinary meal from the a la carte menu, while another nearby notable establishment was gouging customers at $500 for a limited fixed price meal for two in a noisy cafeteria style setting. The dining room is very unique in that it is broken up into one ample room with fireplace, and two cozy adjoining alcoves. The wine list is comprehensive and impressive, and wines by the glass are very quaffable.

We are retired travel industry professionals and have encountered the best and the worst in the past. The service and staff at Goldener Hirsch are definitely the best we have ever experienced globally, and we look forward to returning to our new home away from home. Many thanks to all of you who made our visit so memorable.

Room Tip: Every room is a great room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I almost don't want to tell everyone about this wonderful hotel. I am afraid it will be impossible to book next time I want to visit. It is very small by hotel standards, more an inn, and privately owned. The rooms are charming and influenced, with permission, by a famous inn by the same name, in Salzburg, Austria.
Location is ideal for skiing at Deer Valley, just steps from Deer Valley's Silver Lake Lodge and the free ski storage. The inn oozes with charm and my room, a deluxe, was spacious, had its own balcony and an attractive view. It is very quite at night. I was told that the rooms are all different, no cookie cutter room design.
Best is the excellent service as provided by a family owned business and management which has as its goal to duplicate a high-end Austrian ski inn experience. As a tiny example, the bath robes, which are folded on a shelf, already have the belts in place, Room humidifiers are kept operating by the household staff. Needs are anticipated and help constantly offered.
What the inn describes as a European breakfast buffet is included in the rates and it is excellent. The bar is a great place for a drink after skiing and there was a singer performing German and English language favorites on one of the week-end apres ski afternoons. I really enjoyed their glüwein (hot spice wine popular in Austria).
Parking in the inn's small garage incurs a nightly fee. I had a rental car but it never left the garage until check out. Follow the hotel's advice and use their excellent car service to get around town and don't bother to rent a car. Additionally there are numerous excellent places to eat or shop up at Silver Lake itself so you may not even want to go downtown much.
There are both outdoor and indoor hot tubs for relaxation. Fitness facilities are otherwise minimal but I can't imagine staying on the mountain and wanting a gym workout when you have the magnificent outdoors.
The only downside to staying at the inn which would be the same for any property on the mountain itself is being at high altitude.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Amazing stay in every way. The staff was attentive and accommodating to a T. The property is small and intimate, and stunningly decorated. I've also stayed in the Goldener Hirsch in Austria and can say that this one has done a wonderful job emulating that style and making it feel like an authentic European ski resort right here in the US.

It's VERY close to the slopes, the staff will drive you around to Park City and will recommend great restaurants. The rooms are spacious with fire places and balconies, and the beds are very comfortable. Huge bathrooms. I am already dying to go back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We normally rent a condo in Deer Valley, but we found a great deal on the internet for GH for a late season family ski trip. GH is a small, Austrian ski inn type experience. It is mid-mountain right next to the Stein Erickson lodge. It is easy walking distance to the slopes and ski lifts.

We had a suite which contained a separate bedroom for us and the kids slept on a fold out sofa in the living room. It was sufficiently large for the 4 of us, and the extra space was helpful for a week long trip. The rooms/furniture are a little dated and traditional, but that was consistent with our expectations for a small Austrian style inn. Amenities also are limited--no pool, workout facility (although there is a stairmaster), etc.

Although we missed the convenience of a kitchen, GH serves an extraordinarily large breakfast every morning. The food both at breakfast and dinner was very good. Dinner was, however, expensive, so we ate out in Park City most of the time. It's convenient to have a car because GH has a garage under the building and does not charge extra for parking.

The staff was exceptionally good and really made our stay a pleasurable experience. They went out of their way to help us and make us feel comfortable. They would always be available to help with ski gear, answer questions, drive us to town, and accommodate our requests. It's what distinguishes this kind of small inn from a much larger hotel with more amenities.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place is beyond contrived with the decor, but quite a fun stay. I must say, if you are looking for an Austrian experience, go to Austria not Utah. We had a deluxe room which had a beautiful bed, a sitting area with a fireplace, a balcony and a very large bathroom with a luxurious air tub and a separate extra large shower, as well as two large flat screen tvs. The service at this hotel is outstanding. The feeling of this hotel is more of a large bed and breakfast where the front desk staff member shows you to your room. The continental breakfast is small, but delicious. The area surrounding the hotel is fun to walk around and shop, and Park City is not too far of a drive. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Two couples in our family went to the Goldener Hirsch Inn at different times in 2012. Both couples stayed two nights. I, and my bro-in-law, both reported not being totally comfortable in the beds. I was OK but my hips were a little sore in the mooring (maybe I’m getting old – 54- but at home I’m more comfortable). The beds don’t have box springs. More of a European style mattress on wood slats. That would be the single reason I would not go back but if a good enough deal came up I would still go back because I really like the ambiance of the hotel. I think the deal was around $300 for two nights including 1 meal for 2 and commentary continental type breakfasts (retail $9 each). The meal didn’t cover tax and tip. Both couples had about $20 added to the bill at checkout (in addition to meal tax and tip) that we didn’t question but didn’t understand. Maybe it was tax on the room. Just a note to be aware of unexpected costs if you’re doing a promo option.

The food was good but not as outstanding as the non-discounted price should indicate it would be. I’ve had very enjoyable food at less expense restaurants (2/3 less expensive) that I want to go back to. If I was paying regular price at their restraint, the price relative to how much I enjoyed the meal would send me elsewhere.

The staff was great overall! However, a personal medical need arouse in our family and we asked for the ability to pick a different date or get a refund. Management was not open to flexibly. So be aware of that inflexibility. The nature of our medical problems was a 5 yr old with vomiting and potential strep (my wife had had strep previously, I was diagnosed that week and we took our son to the Dr the day of our reservation). It was not a trivial move to try to swap our reservation. It was for our 10th anniversary and the stay was a gift from a sibling – so who would want to disappoint a spouse and waste a siblings pricey gift.

On a personal note, the serving staff dealing with the meals was a bit reserved. More like servants than comfortable with customers unless the customer engaged them. I’m uncomfortable being treated in a distant formally way. I was glad I could engage them and they were happy to respond. My conclusion is their emotional distance was probalby part of their job expectation.

That pretty much summed up the experience. A great place, great ambiance, staff I liked but policies that were unyielding.

Room Tip: Our room was L shapped, Looked and felt nice. Sisters was rectangular and was not as nice feeling.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Goldener Hirsch Inn? Share your experiences!