“Great Ambiance – Inadequate Bed – Over Priced Meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Goldener Hirsch Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Goldener Hirsch Inn to your Saves list
Goldener Hirsch Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7570 Royal Street East, P.O. Box 859, Park City, UT 84060   |
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great Ambiance – Inadequate Bed – Over Priced Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Two couples in our family went to the Goldener Hirsch Inn at different times in 2012. Both couples stayed two nights. I, and my bro-in-law, both reported not being totally comfortable in the beds. I was OK but my hips were a little sore in the mooring (maybe I’m getting old – 54- but at home I’m more comfortable). The beds don’t have box springs. More of a European style mattress on wood slats. That would be the single reason I would not go back but if a good enough deal came up I would still go back because I really like the ambiance of the hotel. I think the deal was around $300 for two nights including 1 meal for 2 and commentary continental type breakfasts (retail $9 each). The meal didn’t cover tax and tip. Both couples had about $20 added to the bill at checkout (in addition to meal tax and tip) that we didn’t question but didn’t understand. Maybe it was tax on the room. Just a note to be aware of unexpected costs if you’re doing a promo option.

The food was good but not as outstanding as the non-discounted price should indicate it would be. I’ve had very enjoyable food at less expense restaurants (2/3 less expensive) that I want to go back to. If I was paying regular price at their restraint, the price relative to how much I enjoyed the meal would send me elsewhere.

The staff was great overall! However, a personal medical need arouse in our family and we asked for the ability to pick a different date or get a refund. Management was not open to flexibly. So be aware of that inflexibility. The nature of our medical problems was a 5 yr old with vomiting and potential strep (my wife had had strep previously, I was diagnosed that week and we took our son to the Dr the day of our reservation). It was not a trivial move to try to swap our reservation. It was for our 10th anniversary and the stay was a gift from a sibling – so who would want to disappoint a spouse and waste a siblings pricey gift.

On a personal note, the serving staff dealing with the meals was a bit reserved. More like servants than comfortable with customers unless the customer engaged them. I’m uncomfortable being treated in a distant formally way. I was glad I could engage them and they were happy to respond. My conclusion is their emotional distance was probalby part of their job expectation.

That pretty much summed up the experience. A great place, great ambiance, staff I liked but policies that were unyielding.

Room Tip: Our room was L shapped, Looked and felt nice. Sisters was rectangular and was not as nice feeling.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Columbia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My second visit to Goldener Hirsch Inn (Chateau), and I enjoyed my visit even more the second time around. I received a warm welcome, complemented by service of excellence. Staff members were above all courteous and very professional. They honored my request to stay in the same room, and made my stay very enjoyable. This time around I had my colleagues join me, as I wanted them to experience the beautiful place. They too were equally impressed by the graciousness of the staff, cleanliness of the hotel and superb in-house cuisine with exquisite wine list. I am looking forward to visiting again and highly recommend to all travelers to discover this amazing and magnificent Chateau in Deer Valley, Utah.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Goldener Hirsch was a delightful place to spend a couple of nights near Park City, Utah. The small hotel looks like it was picked up by a giant helicopter in Salzburg and set down in Deer Valley on the mountains above Park City. The exterior and interior authentically created an Austrian experience with antiques and realistic restorations of Austrian painted furniture in every room and public area. The restaurant offered an authenic Austrian menu with plenty of American choices and a great wine list. Service was impeccable and attentive.

I was there with my wife, daughter and 4 year old grandson. We had adjoining rooms with a private foyer which made for a suite like situation though the rooms did not open into each other. Our room was larger with a sitting area which made it more like a suite. As other reviewers have noted, the bedding was truly luxurious.

We were there off season (they were closing the next day to reopen when skiing begins) so the village in which the hotel is located was for all practical purposes closed already--no people, most stores closed, etc. With no restaurants open in the village and downtown Park City being at least a mile away--straight down--walking to food and entertainment was not practical, but we expected this at this time of year. We did spend time in Park City and found it to be delightful, too, with lots of great restaurants and shops.

A good experience, but certainly a fabulous experience at the height of the ski season!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a gorgeous location. We loved the traditional Austrian decor, our spacious room, and our super comfy bed with crisp white linens. The entire staff treated us great. Everything was clean and exceeded our expectations.

The hotel restaurant is amazing! We can't remember when we last had such a delicious meal. We had the cheese fondue, Halibut "Chowder" and Wagyu Beef, and the apple strudel and chocolate souffle for dessert. Every mouthful to die for!

We can't wait to go back! But this time we will plan less time out and about and more time enjoying our comfy accommodations!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
western US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Like many others we got a KSL deal for a two night stay with a dinner one of the nights. I think this is way they fill up semi-filled rooms in the off-season. No problem with that, but they should commit to treating even us deal-getters very, very well to justify their awards and status. The hotel staff was great throughout our stay. The room, meal and management, however, were all diffferent stories. The room was beautiful, to be sure and very spacious. However, the shower stall had quite a bit of mold on the ceilings and upper walls. There was a ton of hair on the countertop, which is granite and has a pattern so couldn't be seen by maid staff, but should have been thoroughly wiped down between guests anyway, right? The mattress had a worn out feeling to it, though I'm not sure how old it was. It was so uncomfortable the first night that I turned in a quarter turn the next day to give us support from an area of the mattress normally not squished over time as this one was. Of course I had to undue and remake it all but it helped. Our meal was a mix of good and mediocre. The presentation of all was wonderful. The fondue, great. We ordered the beef and a lamb dish. Both were ordered medium rare. Both were greatly undercooked, which affected flavor. The apple strudel was relatively flavorless (considering the source), with very little pastry and undercooked apples. It had a "scoop" of ice cream the size of a golfball. It was embarrassingly silly. We brought back at least half our dinner to enjoy later that night and the next day. Unfortunately, we didn't get to it that night and the next day after a wonderful breakfast at the hotel, we discovered that the in-room refigerator froze (not like in the freezer froze, but like in a bad refrigerator froze...beyond use after that)everything we put in it, including other food we'd bought to nosh on throughout. So that was a pretty big waste,. The worst part was dealing with the manager, Kelley, who was so cordial when things were going well but not so great when the complains came. I told him of the mold, hairs, and ruined food but complimented the place on what I could.He put my issues on the back burner over and over until my repeated emails moved him to address me which he did politely. He ended up appologizing for the mold, bad refigerator, etc. and asking if he could reimburse me for the lost food. He ended up sending a check for $25.00! So the food we bought outside the hotel PLUS the food we got from the hotel resturant was only worht $25? NO, not at all. But that was his resolution to our problems. They pump up the cost to us but minimize the responsibility to themselves. Not truly customer oriented Kelley. Not at all. Don't make deals to sell two night packages if you can't bring yourself to respect the riff raff who'll use them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ibid, General Manager at Goldener Hirsch Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I remember when you were leaving with your Mother that I thanked you for staying with us and how much we appreciated your participation with the lodging offer and that we looked forward to being of service to you again in the future. You stated that everything was wonderful, you enjoyed the room, the dinner was excellent and yes, you would return again.

After I received your first email upon your return home stating some of your concerns, I instantly addressed them with you and offered my apologies. I immediately offered to reimburse you for your lost food items in the in-room refrigerator due to someone setting the temperature lower than our normal setting. I did not hear from you again until a few weeks later when we received your email at our front desk requesting why you hadn’t heard from me. I then located the email you had sent me a week after my previous response in the computer spam file and I replied to you again immediately. I have only received two emails from you that I am aware of and of which I immediately responded to. So I’m confused how I may have left the impression for you to state “He put my issues on the back burner over and over until my repeated emails moved him to address me.”

Your second email response to me stated your food loss was for only $5 regarding a local salad that you had purchased and thanked me for my concern. I felt that $25 was more appropriate for your frozen salad and would have been most willing to reimburse you for whatever price you so decided. I certainly apologize if my reimbursement amount was offensive to you.

All of our king-sized European beds are provided with a feather-bed topper that the majority of our Guests enjoy and state they have experienced the best night of sleep when staying with us. Of course, if any of our Guests are uncomfortable with the feather-bed topper, we are happy to remove it for them. We would have been most happy to remove the feather-bed topper for you during your stay if such had been communicated to us.

Please accept my apology for your sleeping discomfort, your dissatisfaction with your dinner and dessert and if I/we have offended you in any way. I welcome the opportunity to be of service to you in the future and offer my personal assistance in handling your reservation.

I would like to offer you and your Mother to be my Guests for dinner at our Goldener Hirsch Inn Restaurant since your experience is truly important to us.

Respectfully, Kelley Davidson, General Manager
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Goldener Hirsch Inn Deer Valley, Utah
This property is a golden piece of Europe in Utah.
After arriving home (Salt Lake City) from traveling in Europe, it was nice to cure the jet lag at the GH Inn, the comfortable bedding and luxury linens worked the magic.

I visited this Inn several times in winter, enjoying nice European lunch during skiing. This visit was in August, with cool mountain weather so perfect for hiking around. You can also combine the stay with a nice outdoor concert in Deer Valley.
The whole property and setting is very nice with excellent service and staff.
The food is also excellent with great liquor choices.
I recommend this property anytime of a year, winter or summer you will love it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

You can count on the folks at the Goldener Hirsch Inn to do everything possible to make your stay a wonderful one ! We loved the area the Inn was located in, and being off season it was very quiet - we felt like the only ones there ! The Inn really does make you feel like you have been transported to a quaint alpine Inn located in Europe. The craftsmanship and small details evident everywhere you look were delightful. We were told there was a cold continental breakfast, but I must say it is better that most expanded breakfasts, and the food was beautifully presented. Our room had every amenity we could hope for, and was beyond comfy. We also celebrated my birthday by having dinner at the Inn, and again, the staff could not do enough to ensure that it was not only a delicious meal, but also a very memorable evening.

Room Tip: Well worth it to reserve a deluxe room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Goldener Hirsch Inn? Share your experiences!