“European charm, 20th century efficiency” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Goldener Hirsch Inn

Save Saved
You added Goldener Hirsch Inn to your Saves list
Goldener Hirsch Inn
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7570 Royal Street East, P.O. Box 859, Park City, UT 84060   |
Ranked #7 of 59 hotels in Park City
Fort Myers, Florida
“European charm, 20th century efficiency”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our reunion group of 15 from all over the U.S. was seeking a small, charming hotel where we could bump into each other casually at our biennial four day event. We found what we were looking for and more at the Goldener Hirsch Inn in Park City, Utah. Telephone and internet arrangements went smoothly before the event and we were thrilled when we arrived to find an inn that had seemingly been whisked out of Austria and plunked down on a mountainside in Utah.
The cozy bar doubled as the breakfast room and its location off the lobby made it a favorite gathering place. Several in our party stayed on the third floor with its comfortable lounge outside the rooms. When we temporarily abandoned our poker game there for a snack, we returned to find the manager had left a note to make sure our stacks of chips were not disturbed!
Our event ended with a private banquet in a lovely room off the restaurant. As we dipped apple slices and bread into the Inn's signature fondue, we agreed that we had found a place where the staff had that unique combination of friendliness and professionalism. We're off to a different site in 2014, but many of us plan to return to this unique property individually.

Room Tip: The rooms rise in price with floor level, but even those off the lobby have charm and nice views. T...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Logan, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here for my honeymoon at the beginning of June, and the staff all knew my name and were extraordinarily helpful! The rooms were fantastic, the beds very comfortable and the bathrooms amazing. The restaurant was great as well, we plan on coming back!

Provo, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We reserved a room at the Golden Hirsch for our anniversary and could not have had a more pleasant and lovely stay. The staff was so gracious and ready to serve us in anyway that they could. Our room was beautifully decorated and CLEAN!! We also ate at their in house restaurant and the food and service were excellent. I would highly recommend the Golden Hirsch Inn to all my family and friends, in fact, our son and his wife also celebrated their anniversary there recently and came home with raves about how nice it was and how well they were treated. The Austrian decor was absolutely lovely and created a very "homey" but elegant atmosphere. Hopefully, we will get a chance to return sometime soon. Thanks to the lovely staff and all of their efforts in making us feel at home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The Goldener Hirsch Inn - European Chalet Lodge (sister hotel located in Salzburg, Austria), is a true gem. Words alone cannot describe this beautiful masterpiece; one must experience this amazing lodge by visiting. I had the honor and pleasure to stay at the Goldener Hirsch Inn for three nights, July 5 - 8, 2012. I was treated with utmost dignity and respect. The team at the hotel is above all courteous, friendly, professional and warm. I have traveled extensively and stayed at many first class hotels, none can match the level of service I received while at the Goldener Hirsch Inn. My room was beautiful, very warm and inviting, with a private balcony overlooking the surroundings, with views to enjoy. The restaurant at the Goldener Hirsch Inn, the menu options are wonderful, my favorite was the Wiener Schnitzel, tastefully prepared and cooked to perfection. Complimentary continental breakfast exceeded my expectations. Guests are treated to beautiful European furnishings and attention to detail in craftsmanship; it is truly one of a kind. I'm a native of Switzerland, and I am thrilled to have discovered this beautiful place. I look forward to my future visits and encourage you all to discover the Goldener Hirsch Inn for yourself. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. Happy and safe travels...

Room Tip: I believe that all rooms at the Goldener Hirsch Inn are equally beautiful. Each room offers great vi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Goldener Hirsch is a delightful small hotel that feels more like a family mountain lodge. All staff are friendly and helpful, as you might expect in such an intimate venue. The breakfast buffet, presented on the bar, is fresh, healthy, and abundantly extensive, given the size of the place. The on site restaurant is excellent (and deserving of its own review), and the bar is warm and welcoming. I left with the feeling that the next time I stay at the Goldener Hirsch, I'll be welcomed as though I'm returning to my lodge away from home.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Goldener Hirsch Inn this last weekend to celebrate our anniversary. It's a nice place for a couple's getaway, away from kids, etc. We live in Salt Lake, but staying here for the weekend minus the kids felt like we were on vacation much further away than the < 1 hour drive it took to get here. The concierge was very nice and helped us with our bags. The entrance to the hotel was a little odd, because it wasn't a drive up - you have to take steps to get to the front door. There was a parking garage at the back for $12 a night, but we opted to park our car ourselves for free in the shared Silver Lake parking area. The parking area was viewable from our room's balcony anyway, and it seemed secure. We stayed at room 401, one of 3 grand suites in the property, I believe. Breakfast came with our stay, although it was just a continental breakfast. On our checkout, we opted to skip breakfast there and head to Main Street's Java Cow for some wonderful crepes/coffee (only 8 minutes drive away). The decor is hunting lodge inspired, but comes across too flowery for me. They said this inn is a replica of a hotel with the same name in Austria, and all the furnishings came from there. Some niceties included: Aveda toiletries, turn down service, provided robe/slippers, starbucks coffee in the room.

Onto some oddities: The room key, as well as lock, was odd, because it had this old looking lock assembly, but it actually is not what locks the door (there's a modern deadbolt that does that). Also, we were told to leave the key at the front desk because housekeeping didn't have a key otherwise. But, while we were in our room in the middle of an afternoon nap, housekeeping came in to see if our bed needed to be turned down. They had opened the door with their own key. It was an awkward surprise for us, needless to say, as we were both in bed. There was a mirror on ceiling(?) of the poster bed in our bedroom, but it was oddly placed and on the small side, and instead of achieving the desired effect, just felt a little weird having it there. The mattress felt like it had an uneven surface, almost lumpy - my husband would sink on his side of the bed, while my side remained higher (my husband is not fat as he's an active triathlete - he has a 30" waist). The TV in the living area was also oddly placed. It was off to the side of the room, where a pillar or the console area blocked the view to it, depending on where you're sitting on the couch. The most natural spot for the TV would have been on the center where the couch and chair where, but there was a fireplace there. I guess the TV couldn't hang off that wall due to the chimney or something. We did try the indoor hot tub, and it was good, but there weren't a lot of jets-- it was really just a bigger version of our jetted garden tub at home. There's no air conditioning, and while there is a fan in the bedroom - the poster bed blocked any air from the fan anyway. When we opened the windows for some cool breeze, the birds outside were chirping their little hearts away at 3 am until sunrise! I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. For these reasons, I originally was going to rate this 4 out of 5, but docked 1 point off.

The onsite restaurant was good, as far as the entrees itself (my husband had the flank, I had the wagyu). The wait staff were very friendly. The fondue we chose for the appetizer wasn't that great. Maybe the cheese was too rich and salty, but I thought the steamed broccoli for dipping wasn't good. It was over steamed for us, and we think would have been better just fresh. In another time, we probably would pick a soup/salad instead. They had a nice in-between appetizer and entree offering (first course?) of a canape of smoked rainbow trout, which was very good, and after dessert, they provided us with a to go bag of macarons, marshmallow and candied fruit. That was a nice touch. We stayed/ate here courtesy of a travelzoo voucher. We only had to pay taxes extra for the 2 nights stay and 3 course meal. In all (including the voucher and taxes), we spent ~$400. Even though this is considered a luxury inn, my husband and I felt our stays at Trump Vegas (also in a suite) and Mark Hopkins Intercontinental in San Francisco felt more luxurious. Maybe it was more modern decor. Would we come back? I think this is one of those places where we could say, "Ok, been there, done that", but I think we would like to try out other hotels in the same area next time, for a better comparison.

Room Tip: The grand suite has a nice balcony where you can have a peaceful view while drinking your morning co...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was my first time staying at this lovely little inn. The location couldn't be better for skiers and EVERYONE from the manager to the housekeeping staff were so wonderful and helpful. Ryan was a fountain of knowledge about the galleries in Park City and steered us to the Kimball Art Center where we saw a great exhibit called Visualizing Finance. Sharon at the reception desk was always so cheerful and had our lift passes ready so we wasted no time getting on the slopes (you can purchase lift passes at the hotel). The rooms are cozy and comfortable and ours had four closets and shelving in the bathroom so there was no lack of storage for all the bulky ski clothes and boots. Apres ski was fun and they have gluwein and fondue and raclette too. Loved the eider down beds. We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Goldener Hirsch Inn? Share your experiences!