“somewhere between boutique hotel and grandmother apt.” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   255 Main Street, Park City, UT 84060   |
Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
toronto
“somewhere between boutique hotel and grandmother apt.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

I have to admit that I was somewhat nervous staying here as I had read some prior negative reviews so I was wondering if I had made a mistake. Some positves about the hotel was they had asked if I wanted a shuttle return from Salt Lake city airport and I had indicated I had wanted that. We were picked up from the airport in a SUV with no other pickups with an excellent driver, He indicated to us that we had a package where we had services in the area to pick us up and take us home anywhere we wanted to go at no cost. I don't know what company it was but I would very very highly recommend them as their drivers were super nice and they even took us to the hills every morning even though one day we skiied Park City Mountain but they took us to base lodge at no extra cost. They also drive to the Canyons and took us to Deer Valley for 2 days with no charges. The drivers were excellennt and knew the areas and had great recommendations regarding ski hills and restaurants and shopping in the area. I would not have known about this package if not for the hotel.
Hotel stafff greated us and carried in our bags and ski equippment. Then upon check in was the large contract that you have to sign. A little off putting. Nothing extradonaire but basically if you don't sign it they won't talk to you. Doesn't bode well for customer relations. No ski locker but you can bring your skis to your room which seemed unusual for a ski hotel, but whatever. It coud dent the walls with skiis but we were careful. If you are loud or smoke they can evict you, but no big deal as we do neither. Also they hate noise for guests but falling asleep you do hear alot of noise. If you hate smoke their is no smoking on balconies or within the vacinty of the hotel., Could care less either way.
Room was very nice. Full kitchen but for 4 days we were not going to use it anyways. Suite was clean and very modern looking. Ok the smell. Not so noticeable till you get to the elevator and I was like wow this reminds me of my grandmothers apt. Looked in the hallway and it sort of also reminded me of my grandmothers apt. Walked around the hotel and parts of it were boutique. Hot tub area and restaurant bouique looking, hallways garage, balcony grandmothers apt. Kinda wierd as I had not thought about granny apt for a long time.
Grandmas smell does disappate quickly but as soon as you come back you smell it. Too be fair I think I smelled it other places in Park City. But when I came home and unpacked my bags def was that smell/
Everything worked fine in the room but it is the first ski hotel that I have ever stayed at that did not have even a gas fireplace. They have one in the lobby but I have stayed in much c heaper places and they always had fireplaces in the suites even if they were gas.
Restaurant for breakfast was great. Order the Sunshine Ray it is so good. They even gave me a free cup of take out coffee which was great. Service at the restarant is very good.
I realy had no issues with the staff They actually seem somewhat awkward in customer relations. I did not find them rude. Just not that outgoing and they have rules which are important to them as their are individually owned units and they want to make sure that they are taken care of well. I just felt that the staff or owners are not great with communication and not naturally friendly more awkaward than rude. If they really want to pursue the business they may need to take customer relations seminars but I don't think they are mean people.
The hot tub was warm and the towels were clean and good quality. Suite was cleaned every day so really I had nothing to complian about. The staff was not super friendly but once I signed the waivers they had nothing to do with us.
Bottom line. Would I stay here again. If I came with my kids I would likely stay at the Mariott at PCMR but if I came with just my husband and the price were similar I would atay here again. I would pay a bit more in coming years but if the prices were to increase alot I would look for somewhere else.
Also on check out day they had a fresh baked coffee cake availabe for guests which was good.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Las vegas/Henderson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

TMI is the best !!! Best location right on Main St , Best rooms beautiful rooms I might add kitchens better than most homes, Best staff verry nice and accommodating willing to help. For those that gave this place a negative review I'm thinking you might not be fully happy anywhere . I read the reviews and went waiting for the worst and to my surprise this was one of the greatest stays I have had in a long time . I would say great the front desk with a smile where ever you go and the tone is set . Thanks TMI for a wonderful family stay . We will be back for sure .

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I stay at the Treasure Mountain Inn every year on my annual ski trip. The location is ideal if you like Main Street and all its offerings. It’s very central to the nightlife. The rooms are large, comfortable, and recently redone. This year, my room had a new king bed, large LCD TVs, and a swanky kitchen. They’ve been remodeling the entire hotel and it gets nicer every time I visit. I love the giant spa for an apres-ski soak. There are limited amenities on site, but who needs them with Main Street so close. The Morning Ray is the best breakfast in town. The staff are friendly and I see the same people year after year. I can’t think of anyplace I’d rather stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

i stayed here durring their winter season and it was one of the best hotel experiences i have ever had! first of all, my room wasn't a 'room' it was a CONDO!!! i booked and payed for just a normal hotel room but i was upgraded to an AMAZING one bedrom unit that was nicer then my hourse! then, the staff treated me like family! i chatted up a storm with the front desk woman, who it turns out OWNS the place! it was nice to know that the owner gets down to the front lines so to speak. it was a very charming place, mush like the french quarter in New Orleans.
the location...LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! perfectly at the top of everything so you could take a nice walk down the street and the free trolly ride back up. the front desk people were amazing with all kinds of info and help, i remember all of them cause they were all so great! Chris, Emily, and Peter!
there are a lot of rules, but i felt safer knowing that they HAD rules unlike other hotels that just let guests do whatever they want even if it makes other guests annoyed.
this was classy, friendly, AND AND AND there was an obvious care for the environment, everything was green friendly!
best trip ever!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

Our Room Smelled like an old age home or hospital. Be prepared to bring your attorney with you when checking in, as there is a flat out litany of unfriendly and unwelcoming rules where failure to adhere, results in fee's, fines, or "eviction" This Hotel is STALE, needs major work, and is flat out depressing. It literally smells. The smell is OK once you get used to it in your room, but when you leave and return, you are overwhelmed with nausea. The Website is clearly misleading and really makes this hotel seem hip, modern and sort of unique, a real boutique feel. Be careful before booking. There are absolutely NO refunds. Clearly the owners/Management should not be in the hospitality business.

If I had to paraphrase managements attitude it would be something like this.....

We are doing you a favor for letting you stay with us. You should be thanking us for taking your money. Please do everything in your power during your stay to make it easier on us so that our job is easier and so that we don't have to sit around hating our business and customers.

Clearly there is a lack of gratitude here,. Unfortunately I did not read up on this hotel on Tripadvisor prior to booking. Let my loss be your gain.

Pros
Large rooms
Location is pretty good, relatively speaking, about a 9 min walk to the town lift. right on main street.
Parking in underground lot - very convenient
They reluctantly brought us a lighter to light the vanilla candle that was in the room - I needed to light it immediately to try to cover the smell up.

The living room had a DVD player hooked up to the tv via an HDMI cable

The bedroom had a TV , that was not HDMI compatible and which had no DVD player. We wanted to watch a movie in our bedroom using the DVD player from the living room. We called down and the girl brought us up a Red White Yellow cable to hook the DVD player up to our bedroom TV.

We were an hour late checking out, and they did not charge us an extra day - I was really worried, as they seemed to be the type of business that would definitely seize the opportunity to charge you.

Cons
This hotel legitimately smells bad. Really I could not make a room smell as bad if I tried.
Unfriendly Policies - rules rules rules - Not unlike a Dorm or Hostel- except you pay $300.00 a night.
Non-Refundable
Rude Management
Misleading website
depressing atmosphere
ugly and cold lobby

Lastly,

I called and booked "last minute" -one week in advance- as I was constantly reminded when requesting a particular room. I was told 3 times during the call that bringing a car was highly discouraged, I was sort of taken a back, as It was not in the cards whatsoever to not have a car, and didn't see how it was any of there business anyway- She just kept repeating it as though I was dumb. I specifically asked not to be in room # 29 #21 #9 #16. They told me in order to guarantee a particular room that I would have had to pay $460.00 opposed to the $250 I was paying. I declined the offer, but asked them in good faith to try to put me in any other room but those four. Guess which room I got? #9. In my opinion this is rude, a poor way to do business, and highly unnecessary.

Let my loss be your gain.

Stay away.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

If you want to be taken advantage of, please visit the Treasure Mountain Inn in Park City, Utah. The hotel manager Thea and her husband are about as rude as they get. We went up for Sundance and they milk you for every last dollar you have, even in these hard economical times. We couldn't leave anywhere else becasue they would not refund our money. They were incredibly rude, and did not comply with the rules written on a binded paper in the room even! They charged us almost $650 a night for a one bedroom becasue we had a couple extra people. The room slept about 6 and they only allowed 3 people. Way to take advantage of common hard working citizens. You get fined $250 if you make slight noise after 10. What hotel does this? DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL. There are better deals with waaaayyy better management in Park City. Even Slamdance was complaining about them. Contact me with any info. I will be happy to explain our experience there.

• Liked — The room was nice, that's it.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salt Lake City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I'll make this short. TMI is in a great location but anymore that's about it. The place smells funky, some of the units really need to be updated, and the staff just keeps getting more rude. The "owner" is the rudest of the bunch. Their attitude is that this is Park City and there are plenty of people to take your place if you don't like it. I've stayed there at least a half dozen times and have sadly watched a steady decline.. Unfortunately, it also just keeps getting more expensive to the point where it's not even a good value anymore. Bottom line, shop around. There are plenty of better places and deals to be had.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Treasure Mountain Inn Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!