“Wonderful hotel; great vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #15 of 59 hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
Detroit, Michigan
“Wonderful hotel; great vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

First off, I want to welcome Mrs. Gardiner, who has contributed to this review. She reads too many of these when she’s not there. This time she and Kiddo were with me for a full week, so her notes/issues are included.

First things first: great hotel, just a wonderful vacation… only very minor issues. So, let’s get started.

I booked this vacation for the first week of April to get in some end-of-season Spring skiing. I used points to get a free room, then paid an upgrade fee to get one of their superduper luxury suites. I did not get one of the loft units; this was spread across one floor, and was probably bigger than our first apartment 20 years ago!

We walked in and were faced with a two story great room, with granite faced fireplace. To the right was a simply terrific kitchen… the hardware looked like a Home Depot Expo showroom: a built-in Subzero monster fridge and freezer, a Wolf gas stove, a Broan range hood, a Maytag microwave, a Cusinart Coffeepot and Cuisinart stainless pots/pans. Throughout the suite, we had Kohler sink, faucets and whites throughout. The kitchen had granite counters, tiled backsplash with iron accents.

Everything was furnished… plates, utensils, Torrefazione Italia coffee (both regular and decaf), every day… good for a full pot each morning!

There was seating at the kitchen island which was comfortable for four, table can seat eight. There was a balcony off the dining area, which had another table that could seat four.

In the great room there was an 80+ bottle wine cooler by Marvel (darn, forgot to bring my Krug!). Adjacent to the half bath was a full size, stacked Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer. The fireplace was automatic, with a switch on the side.

Hardwood floors throughout, except the great room, which was appropriately carpeted. There were hardwood plantation blinds on all windows. The great room had two leather sofas, both of which could pull out. They looked good, but we found the fold out bed uncomfortable. Kiddo slept on it each night, but when I tried it out, it wasn’t so nice. Should’ve taken the mattress off one sofabed and added it to the other, probably would’ve fixed the issue.

When sitting on them, the sofas were fine initially, but they ended up being too soft.

The bedroom had a king bed which was ok. For Hyatt enthusiasts, note that this is NOT a Hyatt Grand Bed… nor do they claim it to be. (I suspect that when the owner brought Hyatt in to manage this property, they opted not to do an immediate upgrade to the beds. I’d be surprised if Hyatt didn’t make that a requirement for future reno/capex.) The bedroom had a private patio, and another automatic fireplace.

In the spacious closet, we had 24 real wood, real hangers in the closet… not the stupid we-think-you’re-gonna-steal-our-hangers hangers, real wood! WOW…

The main bath had an enormous soaking tub, and an equally enormous glassed in shower. Portico toiletries in both full bath and half bath. Two sinks were nice to have.

The hotel itself was more limited service than your typical Hyatt, I suppose thus explaining why it didn’t get a “Regency” branding. There is one restaurant/bar combo, which is quite nice. We ate there one evening, and found the food fine, just a bit expensive. We ate most of our meals in our suite, or out in Park City. Had drinks at their bar once or twice. There are restaurants and bars at The Canyons that are walking distance, or the hotel valet will run you down there in the Hyatt’s SUV.

They have a small alcove behind the front desk that has a variety of chilled soft drinks, munchies, etc., but you’re better off with the Walmart just off the interstate in terms of selection.

We did rent our skis from the guys at Aloha Rentals, who run the Hyatt’s ski valet service. Excellent service, very helpful and the guys really hustled in the mornings.

Huge Bright Spots: the Front Desk and the Valet guys. The Front Desk staff (and I’ll call out Whitney in particular) were just the best. They had answers to every question… they were friendly, helpful, and genuinely wanted to help their guests. Besides our interactions, I watched them with others, and they were terrific. Learned names real fast: impressive.

Then there are the Valet guys. We had a rental Jeep for this trip… the resort charge included things like wifi, valet parking, etc. The Valet guys (Aaron in particular) just rocked… they helped us carry groceries up to the suite, they helped Kiddo with her backpack. The best part, the absolute luxury, was calling down in the morning to the Valet stand, and telling them that we’re ready to head to the slopes… When we came down 15 minutes later, our Jeep was pulled up out front, heat running, and ALL of our gear already loaded in the back! We literally climbed in and drove away. Returning in the afternoon was no different… we just pulled up, handed them the keys, and they unloaded our skis and poles without a blink. Just fricking fabulous!

Downside points? Only two:
Bedding: The bed isn’t a Hyatt Grand Bed, and we did notice that. That’s not a reason to NOT book this hotel, but a heads-up. The mattress on the pull-out sofa was just terrible. Next visit, we’ll open both sofas, and stack the mattresses on top of each other, then just leave one sofa open all week. Note though, that, in all fairness, they don’t advertise that they have the Hyatt Grand bed.

Computer Kiosk: We were using AmEx points for our lift tickets each day, so I needed to print the instant-award sheets. The Hyatt only has one computer in the lobby area, and they’ve abandoned common sense to some outsourced provider. To print out two pages each morning cost me over $8. I was probably more unhappy about this than the beds… it’s not the $8, it’s the nickel-diming, resulting from Hyatt’s abdication of responsibility to guest experience that I hate.

NET OF ALL THIS: If you are looking ahead to the upcoming ski season, this is a great place. The Gardiner family is planning ahead, and the Hyatt Escala Lodge is high on our list of places to stay. We’d be back in a second. Fully five stars… delighted with our visit.

Room Tip: If traveling with a family, or using Hyatt points, do look into the upgrade to a larger room/unit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Rexburg, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

From the moment we drove up to the Escala Lodge we were impressed. First it is tucked away against the mountains, past many of the other resorts. The staff were friendly, helpful, and professional.

A good Hotel or resort is more then just a place to sleep, it is an experience. We stayed in a one room premium suite, which was AMAZING! You know it's good when you have to go searching for the bedroom once you're actually in the suite! The full kitchen had all the cooking supplies (Pots, pans, utensils, etc.) that we needed. The counter tops were beautiful and the three fireplaces (one in the dining room, one in the living room, and one in the bedroom) were great.

Sometimes in those resort style hotels you feel lost half the time. This was not the case at all. The underground parking was convenient and close to elevators.

Really we can't say enough good things about this hotel, our compliments to management and the staff. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: One room premium suite- well worth it!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I am sorry some of the other reviewers did not have great service because I am a big believer in service making or breaking a stay. I stayed with my spouse and kids for 4 days in August. Like the last reviewer, it was quite empty since it was off season. We got a reasonable room overlooking the courtyard/pool. The pool was absolutely beautiful and the kids enjoyed it everyday. I did not spend the time I would have liked in the gym part of the pool area, but it was beautiful and kept up well. The front desk clerk gave us a coupon book for restaurants around town including their own Provisions Company which was amazing. There was a Farmers Market one of the days we were there and it was so much fun taking the lift to the market, the lift up the mountain to the Canyons where we went ziplining. There was much to do at the Canyons and the best part is that everything could have been done without getting into your car. The only downside was that we needed a washer/dryer and did not get information from the front desk to locate one until we checked out (there is facility in the Canyons). The food was so incredible and amazing at the Provisions Company that we went back for breakfast twice. The service was impeccable and very friendly. They were very attentive to the kids and our needs and the breakfast sandwich was the best breakfast I think I have ever had. The chef was able to cook everything perfectly which you almost never see anymore. The host was friendly and talked to us quite a bit about the area and things to do. Checkout was very efficient and friendly.

No question we will be back for a longer visit and a larger room (in off season!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I don't know if my room was much different than all the others but I had a full living room and kitchen with a very large bathroom and shower. Valet service was quick and courteous. I enjoyed the property and hope to go back. Limited liquor in the bar but that is to be expected in Utah. I still don't understand the different types of liquor licenses.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a suite. The suite is nicer than most condos.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lake Mary, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed in September and the property felt about 75% empty. Despite all off the open rooms, they checked us in to a room overlooking the lobby/drive way area. That night, they had a fundraising reception in the front lobby area which was very loud and went until about 11 pm.

While the property was recently renovated, the very poor service will keep us from every coming back. We'll go back up to Deer Valley.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I've never stayed at a Hyatt before, but I have stayed at the Waldorf in Park City.
The Hyatt definitely is a more 'relaxed' hotel and not as pretentious as the Waldorf.
The Hyatt seems family friendly, although it was just myself and my partner staying here, there were many families with children around the hotel and pool.
The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome.
Our room was on the small side and poorly lit. All amenities that one expects were provided including bath robes. Most importantly the bed was comfortable and room clean.
The onsite facilities included a pool, hot tub, gym, sauna and steam room.
The breakfast (either buffet or a la carte) was to a high quality although service was slow or non existent.
All in all I feel this hotel can improve but I would still recommend it as the location is great, facilities are many and rooms comfortable.

Room Tip: Top floors provide a good view of mountains or valley.
Aurora, Illinos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This time share masquerading as a Hyatt should be avoided at all costs

Arrived on a Sunday bar and restaurant closed, confusion at check in.

Darkest room I have ever stayed in. the desk lamp was 15 watts, one very uncomfortable chair set amongst the over sized, gaudy furniture.

Breakfast was served cafeteria style, the restaurant was still closed, egss, cold bacon even colder potatos served in a cardboard box with plastic utensils.

If you are coming to this area for a short stay go elsewhere.

I am a Hyatt Diamond member so know what Hyatt standards are, this place doesn't qualify.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Escala Lodge at Park City? Share your experiences!