“Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Cottonwood Heights
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Went to the Restaurant with some friend, and I was impress on how good the food was. Not to mention the service. Very impress with hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I've stayed at various higher end hotels before (including Hyatt) and can honestly report that I have never, ever had a worse or more disappointing experience as I did at the Escala Lodge.

At first glance the facility appears nicely and richly appointed in a scenic environment. Ah, but that does not tell the whole story - far from it. Our first bad experience was the room itself. The "desk" looks for all the world like something from a large doll house - totally unsuitable for anything other than piling the stained and tattered "informational" brag sheets provided by the hotel. The lamp is minuscule, and throws no usable light. There is no main light in the room, just a solitary desk light controlled by a switch.

The bathroom looks awesome at first glance, but the shower holds a major design flaw - the shower head points directly at the door and there is no way to move it far enough to prevent the water from spewing from the glass box all over the floor.

Now for housekeeping - if you like seeing someone else's clipped nails strewn all over the "cleaned" vanity, this is your place! No backup roll of toilet paper, no kleenex, and no ice machines. "Buffy" the snooty minimum wage desk troll will happily send up a bag of ice, if you call at least twice and are willing to wait 60-90 minutes. One day, as we were leaving, the housekeeper came in to tidy the room. Lets just say that Hyatt Escala isn't overly concerned with staff hygiene either, as the maid reeked with a body odor so foul, we had to leave the windows open all day to air the place out (no kidding).

Which brings me to the hotel staff - they make a bad situation oh so much worse. Our first day we attempted to use the pool area, which was filled with rowdy little rich snots who enjoyed throwing large ice balls loaded with rocks and wood chips at others (and into the pools and hot tubs). They jumped off the top of the fountain into the 3 foot deep hot tub, and splashed strangers. We told them to knock it off which they did. On the next day - same story. This time, an ice ball struck me which precipitated an angry rebuke. This stopped the melee again, but of course with dirty looks from mummy and daddy - "how dare you yell at my hell spawn". I could best describe the pool environment as a scene from "Lord of the Flies". When present, the "parents" were generally residing in the other sauna, probably deciding on who should swap wives with who instead of monitoring their adorable progeny.

So, we complained to the front desk staff, who through their eye rolls said they would send security immediately. We monitored the situation and guess what? No security. Not then, not ever, not during our entire stay. The mayhem continued the entire week. This after I explicitly warned staff that someone was eventually going to get hurt. Guess they don't care.

There was never any management in-site, save "Buffy" and "Chad" at the front desk, who apparently, though underpaid and marginally educated feel they are far above little old me - I guess being a Park City servant troll goes to your head. The hotel has many services, most of which will go undiscovered since nothing is ever volunteered. The only bright spot were the young guys that work valet and shuttle duty. They were pleasant and helpful - the only good thing about our stay. Too bad they're not running the place.

The restaurant was bizzarre and overpriced. I realize high end hotels overcharge a bit, but seriously, $12 for a pile of ordinary french fries? Staff in the restaurant are slow, and couldn't be bothered waiting on customers, not even when there were only 2 or 3 tables with diners. Food quality is sometimes excellent, sometimes deplorable - flip a coin, take your chances. But at those prices, why would you?

Save your money. I've had better stays at Hampton Suites.

Room Tip: Choose another Park City hotel. There are many good ones to choose from.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Our family stayed for one week in a 1-bedroom suite. The hotel is in an extremely convenient location in the Canyons village and is ski-in/ski-out. We got a good end-of-season deal, plus we got the 4th night free, so overall this was a decent value.

Our room was very spacious and our bathroom (with 2 sinks) was enormous. The large kitchen area had a nice granite countertop and stainless steel appliances. We did not cook, but in opening the drawers I can say this kitchen was fully stocked with equipment.

We had a dining room table for four, a large living area space with sofabed, plus a bedroom. Overall the finishes were high-quality, nicely constructed and pleasantly designed for a very relaxing environment. The shower has great water pressure and lots of hot water - perfect apres-ski. Bathroom is stocked with Portico products.

A few "cons", however. The sofa bed mattress was not usable - all springs, no padding. The hotel brought an air mattress for my children (ages 8 and 11) to share, which with the down comforter was actually a comfortable little nest. It seems silly, though, to have a sofabed that is not usable and we had to keep the air mattress on the living room floor the whole time.

Also, there was very little light in the bedroom. We only had two small, low-light lamps and so we asked for another. Even after we took all of the lampshades off, it was very difficult to read in the room at night, so we either watched TV or went right to bed! I would have loved to have dug into all of the great books I brought with me.....

The hotel (or maybe it is Canyons resort) has a free shuttle to Park City. It is a 10-minute ride and we ate dinner on the main street a few times. The Purple Sage was our favorite meal of the trip. Shuttle runs every hour. To ski at Deer Valley, which is 15-min away, we took a $25 cab ride. The ski valet is wonderful. ($20/day fee includes ski valet, parking, wifi, etc.)

The hotel has a very convenient little store in the lobby that sells snacks, drinks, Smores kits, etc. They also sell very hearty breakfast sandwiches in the morning. Our favorite meal in Canyons village was The Farm.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The property is beautiful, and good condition overall.

The walls are extremely thin, and you hear absolutely everything going on next door and in the hallway. There are access panels in the room bathrooms and strange noise comes from them day and night.

The registration desk agent asked me when I arrived if I had a package at the desk, I wasn't expecting anything so asked why he would ask me this... he replied that there was a note in the system that I had a package... I asked him to check for the package... he said there wasn't one but that I should ask the valet if he knew about it, the valet knew nothing, so i got to my room and called down and the concierge line was able to find the package sitting at the front desk...

I read other negative reviews about the EPC (hotel F&B outlet) so I didn't eat there, but did grab some coffee and a breakfast wrap from the cafe side. The wrap was great and coffee was ok. Very friendly barista.

The hotel really needs to address the noise issues and improve the abilities of the Front Desk (they were very nice, but in general not the sharpest). I decided to stay at the hotel because I have always had a great experience with the Hyatt brand, unfortunately if I was headed back tomorrow I would have to say I would pick another Canyons Resort Property, or one of the properties outside the resort area.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep well, ask to stay in area with lots of vacant rooms... or pick a different hote...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed in a 2 Br suite at the Hyatt for 7 days skiing with our 2 children and it was excellent. We had managed to get a deal on the suite for around $400 per night - so the value for money was outstanding. Friends stayed at the same time and their 2 Br suite was a step up from ours - so it does help to know hotel layout / room setup.

The front desk staff were helpful and obliging with many requests and we found the ski valet and valet / shuttle staff to be outstanding - friendly and accommodating.

The hotel deserves its great ranking with many positives, including:
- well appointed rooms / suites - especially for self contained family living
- genuine ski in / ski out with excellent ski valet
- nice pool / spa area
- shuttle service around canyons area

A couple of areas that would make the hotel even better are:
- the restaurant is "cold" and lacks ambience
- there is no true bar / cocktail area for relaxation after skiing or pre/post dinner activities - I am sure this pushes many guests to dine elsewhere. We went several times to Waldorf Astoria as it had a nice bar area with great bar food.
- Bedroom curtains are strangely thin ? [as noted in other reviews]

Overall, we would have no hesitation returning or recommending the Hyatt to others.

Room Tip: Choose a 2 Br suite numbered #A eg 3A, 4A etc - these are true 2 br suites where as some other 2 br...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We definitely enjoyed our ski vacation at Park City, Utah. We stayed at The Hyatt Escala Lodge and were pampered there the minute we arrived until the day we left. Their staff was exceptionally professional, courteous, and very accommodating. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, which was spacious for our family. The kitchen was fully equipped which allowed us to cook our own meals. The hotel also provided a shuttle to PCMR and to the Gondola at The Canyons. The hotel charges a daily $20 rate which covers the valet parking, usage of the fitness room, ski valet, etc. The Hyatt Escala is a ski-in/ski-out access resort, which was what we were looking for in a hotel. It is well worth the daily charge if you want to have a worry-free vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I visited Park City for the first time last week. I was there for work, not for skiing. The hotel is set in a beautiful resort with breathtaking views. Overall, I had a fantastic stay largely because I was without my kids and surrounded by the beauty of Utah. In other words, I was easy to please. The room was exactly what I had hoped for: comfy bed, quiet hallways, nice bathroom, fireplace, balcony with a decent view. Other amenities I enjoyed included the gym which I used daily and the hot tub which was heavenly in the evening. Also, the coffee served in the little cafe is divine but, at $3.30 a cup, quite pricey. I liked that the room (not a suite with full kitchen) had a really nice fridge and little area with dishes and sink. I made breakfast in my room and had snacks handy. So, no complaints about the actual hotel and its offerings. I do have complaints, however, about the staff, particularly the front desk folks. Holy cow! How Hyatt can think that leaving their hotel in the hands of early twenty-somethings is a good idea is beyond me! With the exception of the late night front-desk women, the daytime employees were terrible. One young guy in particular was so inadequate that I would describe him as verging on idiotic or just very stoned. Another young girl made a mistake in booking my massage, getting the times incorrect and forgetting to convey the information. In all the time I stayed (3 nights) I didn't see a single "grown up." Even the girl at the cafe who rang me up for coffee was ambivalent, rude, and, frankly, looked miserable. This is likely the candidate pool in Park City as I encountered this at a variety of locales. Other than the bad service, the hotel is lovely and I would probably give it another try.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Escala Lodge at Park City? Share your experiences!