“Nice Place/Hefty Price Tag: 1 BR Loft Suite is the way to go if you can swing it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Escala Lodge at Park City

Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
Port Washington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My family of 4 stayed here for a week of skiing the PC area in February. We booked over 7 months in advance and were able to take advantage of a free night for every 3 nights deal on a 1 BR loft suite (think 1 BR condo with kitchen, laundry, living room/dining area, etc). The suite was amazing. My boys shared the pull-out couch and had no complaints about its comfort. Our bed was very comfy as were the down pillows. I've read some of the other reviews and it seems the suites must have better quality beds/pillows. The heavy quilt over the down comforter is completely unneeded. I agree with another reviewer, the room was very warm. We kept our thermostat off and still had to open windows at night to cool the place down, especially if we turned on the gas fireplaces. When the heat did kick on, it was extremely loud in the bedroom. The return is in the bedroom, and the air rushing through it is extremely loud. At night and early in the morning, we could hear neighbors in their rooms, alarm clocks, etc. Also, when we or a neighbor flushed a toilet, it sounded like a freight train behind the wall. That's what you get with a PVC sewage stack instead of cast iron and no sound dampening insulation around it.
I thought the blow dryers were excellent. Best mini hotel shampoo, conditioner and lotion I've ever used and we've stayed in 5 star hotels all over the US. They even give you toothpaste! Plenty of water pressure for the huge shower head. A jacuzzi tub. Robes. What more could you need in a bathroom?
The outdoor pool and hot tubs were very nice, though there was no hotel staff around to keep people from bringing wine bottles and glasses to the hot tubs. I like to enjoy a beer or glass of wine in the hot tub too, but the "glass" is a real hazard in a pool area and despite the signage, people kept bringing it to the hot tub.
The restaurant, I understand had just opened, and was pretty good, but I found it difficult to find things on the menu I wanted to eat. It was expensive. Go to Riverhorse Cafe for an excellent dinner instead!
The lack of Apres Ski (at 3:30) is a big negative. When we asked the bartender about it, he mentioned that it had more to do with the kitchen and getting it up to speed. Maybe they'll have it next year.
The ski-in/ski-out was nice, but they do need to open that lift (I suspect the Canyons controls that, not the hotel, but the hotel should try to get the lift open earlier) by 8:15/8:30, not 9:00 AM (and not a moment sooner)! By the time you get yourself to the base, the whole world is there, on line at the Orange Bubble and the Gondola. And it makes ski school drop off a little more stressful (kids need to be at ski school by 9:15 am, but groups get formed quickly and go up the mountain before 9:15 am).
Don't miss a chance to get a massage at the Golden Door Spa (at the Waldorf), amazing! And go early to enjoy all the amenities there. I can't wait to go back there one day.
Overall, we had a lovely stay. The valets are so helpful and friendly (car and ski) it's positively mind blowing. They need to do a better job training the concierge staff, but they are always willing to help and very friendly, if not always the most knowledgeable. Was it worth the hefty price tag? If we had paid 1/2 or 2/3 of our final bill I'd say yes, but at this price, I'll look elsewhere next time. We could have rented a much bigger condo for the same price, off-mountain or quite possibly at the Westgate.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the 1 BR loft suite we stayed in was excellent. Room 232 in the White Pine buil...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I just spent a week at the Hyatt Escala at the base of Canyons Ski Resort. The room accoomodations were amazing. Full size kitchen, extra large bathroom, top of the line appliances including washer and dryer. All very important for a ski trip. The ski in/ski out was so convenient and the entire staff was pleasant, helpful, and accomodating. I have been to every major ski destination in the US and this was a Fantastic Experience. Great restaurant at the hotel as well. Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: I personally like the ground floor rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Excellent property backing onto the Canyons ski area with full ski in ski out . The staff were amazing and really made a difference above and beyond expectations. The kids ( 14, 11) really enjoyed the hot tub/pool area as did mom and dad. Room service, housekeeping , ski valet, concierge and front desk stuff were respomsive, friendly and seemed genuinely concerned that we really enjoy our stay.

Would highly reco the Canyons as a resort, wide variety of hills and great weather - missed the last dump of snow but enoyed the perfect conditions and being greeted at the end of each day by the great ski valet team.

Room Tip: Mountain view very hard because the hotel is RIGHT at the bottom of the hill - rather have proximity...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Let me start by qualifying that I travel a lot and stay in a lot of hotels. For business I stay in a basic hotel like a Courtyard Marriott. For vacation I stay in 4 stars or above. My basic business hotels have better amenities than Hyatt Escala in Park City and I can honestly say that this is definitely not a 4 star hotel.

POSITIVES
- The laredo breakfast wrap.
- Ski in/ski out
- The ski valet staff is hands down the best staff I've ever encountered at any ski area. They are knowledgeable, friendly and just a pleasure to see every day. The ski equipment the Hyatt Escala has is top-notch.

NEGATIVES
- The laredo breakfast wrap is $8 in the lobby, and 4 feet away in the restaurant it is $12. For the same wrap.
- Room service: stops at 10pm. Plus, there wasn't any room service menu in the room or even a hotel book explaining the hotel.
- Restaurant: the food is not good. Pizza is dull and cardboard-like, beef skewers are tough to eat, flat bread was not tasty and buffalo chili fries were made with what tasted like water-cheese and cold potatoes.
- There is no apres ski at Hyatt Escala. The bar and restaurant is closed from 11am-5pm, yet they advertise apres ski. I'm sorry, but like the hundreds of other people going to Canyons to ski, you want to get a beer and a bite to eat once the lifts close at 3:30/4pm. Instead, if you ski in to Hyatt you have to then trek down to the Sundial area to go to a restaurant over there. Or if you ski down to the Sundial area from the mountain, you then have to drag your skis back to the Hyatt or wait for a shuttle to come pick you up.
- The rooms: the pillows were about 12 inches wide that we had to sleep on. Extremely uncomfortable and definitely not 4-star. Our room's curtains were light silk and practically see-through, so at sunrise you were getting blinded by the sun. You expect a 4-star hotel to invest in real curtains that actually block the sun. There is only 1 mirror in the whole room and it's in the bathroom above the sink - it makes is difficult for 2 people to get ready at the same time.
- The bathrooms in the room: huge oversight in a ski town to have a soaking tub without any jets. Also, the direction of the shower head when you open the door sprays all over the bathroom getting everything soaking wet.
- Gym: just awful. It was like a Barbie and Ken gym.
- The locker rooms: just awful. No hairdryers or basic amenities like qtips, combs, lotion, bathing suit bags, etc. that you find in standard locker rooms, let alone 4 star locker rooms. Additionally, I am a female and was in my towel and 2 times 2 male housekeeping staff came into the locker room while I was in there. It made me really uncomfortable. They should have female attendants.
-Shuttle: it's great that they have a shuttle to Main St., but it stops at 9pm. Restaurants don't stop serving until anywhere from 10pm-1am.

Never once did we feel like our stay was a 4-star experience. I can't recommend anyone paying over a $300 rate per night to stay there if you are looking for a luxury hotel. I pay $150 for most Courtyards that have free breakfasts, great beds, always open restaurants/bars, great gyms, and great amenities. I can't even put Hyatt Escala in the same category, which is sad.

I didn't want to be disappointed, but I really was. They still have a lot of work to do.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

This is the kind of retreat where you don't want to leave. Everything about this hotel is luxurious and relaxing! The service from all of the staff members was gratious and sincere. We'll definitely be returning to this Hyatt when we're in Park City.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

WE had a wonderful stay at this beautiful hotel. With the canyons' only real ski in and out lift. The rooms were big and very comfortable. We loved our stay here and cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Palatine, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

One of the nicest rooms ive ever stayed in plus we received a free upgrade when we arrived.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Location was hard to get back to after skiing due to location since you have to ski a challenging run... double blue.

Stay away from the lobby restaraunt ... terrible food even worse service.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Hyatt Escala Lodge at Park City? Share your experiences!