“Ski-in Ski-out location one block from village” 4 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
Blue Bell, PA
“Ski-in Ski-out location one block from village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed for one night while skiing the first day at Park City Mountain and the second day at the Canyons. My friend and I shared a room (not a BR with kitchen, but just a room that would be the 2nd BR when connecting with the 1BR suite next-door). It had a nice Bathroom, but small shower, two queen beds, flat screen tv, and gas fireplace. The room was nicely appointed, but I would expect that for over $400/night weekday. Everyone was very nice, especially the bell-hops who stored our bags while we were skiing the day we checked out. Resort fee includes underground self-parking or valet (I think also internet, but did not try to connect). It is a one block walk to theCanyons' village, so it is super convenient, and you won't be bothered by any village noise. On the other hand, it seemed to be missing some of the aura of a village location. The hot tub and swimming pool were great, but the changing area and showers (which we used after skiing), which also had a sauna and steam room, adjacent to the pool, were surprisingly tight quarters. The skiing was great, so we had a great time. The Canyons is my new favorites ski location. I would certainly like to stay at the Hyatt again, but certainly would NOT call it a "Must Stay" location. I will probably try the Waldorf Astoria at the Canyons, or the St Regis at Deer Valley on my next trip to Park City.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was my first time to Park City and it's a lovely town. We decided to stay at Hyatt Escala because the reviews weren't too bad and it seemed to be in a good spot.

The hotel is located on the Canyons side, so you are far from Main Street, but it is a short drive (10 min?). It advertises itself as ski-in-out but it's nearly impossible to easily get to or find that part of the run from Canyons...instead, we almost always ended up at the base of Canyons and had to walk a bit to get back to the front of the hotel.

The rooms were "eh". Nothing special at all. The furniture all was very Costco-ish (read: brown and with boring art) and impersonal. Our first room had a loud, humming noise and we had to be switched to another room. The second room was better, but nothing spectacular. Nice big tubs, no jets, basic toiletries (Hyatt brand). Everything was clean. The beds were the best part of the room...very nice, however, the top comforter wasn't soft and made a scratchy noise when you moved in bed. We just took it off nightly and used only the duvet.

Hyatt's staff was fine. The only ones who stood out to me were the valet guys -- all awesome and helpful. The front desk was filled with mediocre staff, who were sort of pleasant but not over-the-top. The restaurant was NEVER filled with people, which was odd and uninviting. Utah has some weird liquor laws, that's for sure. Get ready to always eat something if you want just one drink! There was a small deli type store in the lobby with sandwiches, bagels & coffee, but everything was overpriced. I did appreciate they had slightly healthy snacks (granola bars, fruit) if you are concerned about that kind of thing.

The pool -- nice, but the hot tubs were warm, not hot, and far away from the room if you're staying in the building near the ski valet. Take your pick, be near the ski valet or hot tub, but not both. There was no ambiance outside, no light music, nothing. There is a sauna and steam room near the pools in the restrooms, with lockers but no keys?!

It was overall fine, but just boring and not a retreat at all. I would definitely stay somewhere closer to Main St if I had to do it over again. If I was staying near Canyons, I'd splurge for the Waldorf since it has that awesome gondola that goes right to the base, and seems worth the cost. I'd also recommend to Hyatt they try and pump up the luxury a bit...add some mood music, teach the front desk to work a little harder at being ambassadors, maybe consider a nightly apres ski happy hour?? Something to make it special.

I wouldn't come back with so many other options....sorry, Hyatt.

Room Tip: Pick if you want to be near the ski valet, or hot tub. You can't have both.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

Beware of the pull out beds. We came for a long weekend and booked a 1 bedroom suite. My teenage boys have slept on many sofa beds. The pull out beds were shameful. When I complained they brought us an air mattress. The guys that set it up told me that people always complain about the pullout beds. At $900 a night this is not right.

In addition, we could hear the people in the next room having a normal conversation. The walls are that thin. Thank goodness for ear plugs.

Lastly, I was told we could have a 1 pm check out and possibly 2 pm. When I called the front desk our last morning it was back to 12 noon. They said that they had people coming inn. The Monday after a holiday weekend? Then they switched it back to 1 pm. I thought check in was 4 pm. I was suppose to receive a call back from the manager. I'm still waiting.

By the way, I can't remember the last time I complained about a hotel.

Just to say someting positive, the location is great and the service staff is wonderful

• Stayed February 2012
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have stayed here several times. They get us to come back because the rooms are amazing an the service continues to improve. We get more impress with each visit. This time we stayed with our 3 kids and got a room with a loft. Love the vaulted ceilings, comfortable leather couches and amazing kitchens. We had room service this time, the food was good, the service was prompt and we really enjoyed it. We will keep coming back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

came back after three years: first vacation here we tried shortly after the place opened three years ago. Rooms great, but all the amenities still under construction... Not yet ready to open. This year we visited with reservation in Canyon area failing -- bad deal, poor condition of a condo we tried to rent. We wondered in trying to salvage our vacation: Folks at Hyatt Escala did their best to help us out, all the arrangements were done in no time, we got an excellent room, reasonable price, the place is just shining!!! beautiful restaurant on site, bistro, staff very friendly....(five stars) We will be back many times!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Hyatt Escala is conveniently located at the base of The Canyons Resort and is a ski-in ski-out hotel - when there is enough snow... When we arrived the base at the resort was below 20 in and the run that heads to the hotel was closed, as was the lift that services the hotel, so no ski-in, ski-out. Fortunately for us we weren't skiing at Canyons so this was not a disappointment - having said that we wold have really been upset if we were.

We arrived and were greeted by a friendly valet, who took care of out luggage while we checked in. The desk personnel were friendly and check-in only took a moment. We were shown to our room by the bellhop, who made sure everything was to our liking before he left. As we started to unpack we realized that our room did not have a closet....are you kidding me??? The room did have a small armoire that would have worked if we were there for a night or two and didn't have anything longer than 3 ft to hang in it. The strangest part about this is that there was about 30 sq. ft. of wasted space in the room that looked like it would easily accommodate a closet. Who builds a hotel room with one??? Fortunately, when I called the front desk they were understanding and moved us to a room with a closet. The woman mentioned that there were two rooms in the hotel without a closet, guess we were one of the lucky ones.

The rooms are nicely decorated with good lighting and a fireplace. Unfortunately, someone didn't account for the wind in the mountains which apparently creates drafts in the exhaust flues of the fireplaces and blows out the fire as well as the pilot light. Maintenance was up pretty quickly and re-lit the pilot, but it blew out 5 minutes after he left. Fortunately once I saw how to light it, I was able to re-lite it the following day when the wind calmed down.

The rooms are very warm, too warm really. We had to open a window each night to get the temperature down to a comfortable one. Even with the heat turned all the way down out room was still in the low to mid 70's and the AC was turned off so that was no help.

We dined in the Escala Provision Company Restaurant (EPC) twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. Both meals were delicious. I have reviewed that separately.

Overall our stay was nice, the staff was attentive and friendly and the hotel was pretty but if we hadn't used Hyatt points to stay here for the week that we did I would have felt a little ripped off. This property just doesn't live up to price that is tries to command. It is unlikely that we will return to this property.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a closet, there are at least two rooms at this hotel that do not. Also, if y...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Staying at the Hyatt Escala for the Sundance Film Festival this year. (I'm actually right now in the middle of my stay...how am I finding time to right a review? No idea!)

Lots of great things about the hotel:
- Rooms are huge. Co-workers are in a suite and have a full kitchen and laundry. My King Bed room has a microwave, fridge, dishes, big bathroom with shower and separate, nice tub. HD TV of course (with loads of channels but no guide...)
- The feel is like semi- old school mountain cabin. Rooms have a gas fire. Comfy but a little dark- no overhead lighting.
- Staff couldn't be friendlier. They'll drive you to the bottom of the hill to the bus stop if you just ask. Tons of smiles. It's hard to be cranky here.
- And it's quiet. I haven't heard anyone over my head (I'm on the 2nd floor).

I'm not skiing but if I was, it would be ridiculously great. This part of Utah, not too far outside Park City central called "the Canyons" has loads of lifts right off the roads and right next to the Hyatt. I would love to take the kids and wife here for 4+ days of skiing. WIth the ease to the slopes and the friendly staff, plus all the space in the room, I think it would be a relaxing good time.

But the there are some things to consider about this hotel, and maybe hotels in The Canyons in genera, if you are going at a peak time like Sundance Film Fest:
- You are up the hill and the closest store at the bottom is the 7-11, which you have to drive to. Maybe the staff would take you down and wait and bring you back up but I'd be uncomfortable asking, personally.
- It's a must drive to Park City central. Luckily, they have a great bus system that...as I understand it, is free all the time (definitely is for Sundance). But still, you have to get to the bottom of the hill to get to the bus. (Note they also have a shuttle daily, that leaves the Hyatt on the hour. Generally good. Though on snowy Saturday night it didn't show downtown for a pick-up back to the hotel, for over 2 hours. That's a long 2 hours in the uber-snowy conditions. We ended up taking a cab with other guests.)
- If I was coming at a mellower time, I'd consider renting a car to get around faster.

Some notes if you are looking for a place for Sundance: this little city gets hopping - 1000's poring over the roads and out of restaurants and hotels. Hyatt Escala is a great place to get away from the crowds after a long day, but it's also far away when the snow is coming down and you need to get to a screening or party somewhere in town. The Canyons have a few shuttles that go to Park City Main Street, but not a lot. The snow will make them late and it's taken me about 45 mins to get from the Hyatt to Park City central. The various theaters are scattered and not walking distance. Yesterday it took me an hour and 45 mins to get to a theater just out of town. I don't blame the Hyatt - the issue was snow meets traffic. But if I come back to Sundance, I'll get a room closer to town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Escala Lodge at Park City? Share your experiences!