“Gets better with every visit” 5 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #14 of 59 hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersGold level
Salt Lake City
“Gets better with every visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have stayed here several times. They get us to come back because the rooms are amazing an the service continues to improve. We get more impress with each visit. This time we stayed with our 3 kids and got a room with a loft. Love the vaulted ceilings, comfortable leather couches and amazing kitchens. We had room service this time, the food was good, the service was prompt and we really enjoyed it. We will keep coming back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

came back after three years: first vacation here we tried shortly after the place opened three years ago. Rooms great, but all the amenities still under construction... Not yet ready to open. This year we visited with reservation in Canyon area failing -- bad deal, poor condition of a condo we tried to rent. We wondered in trying to salvage our vacation: Folks at Hyatt Escala did their best to help us out, all the arrangements were done in no time, we got an excellent room, reasonable price, the place is just shining!!! beautiful restaurant on site, bistro, staff very friendly....(five stars) We will be back many times!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Hyatt Escala is conveniently located at the base of The Canyons Resort and is a ski-in ski-out hotel - when there is enough snow... When we arrived the base at the resort was below 20 in and the run that heads to the hotel was closed, as was the lift that services the hotel, so no ski-in, ski-out. Fortunately for us we weren't skiing at Canyons so this was not a disappointment - having said that we wold have really been upset if we were.

We arrived and were greeted by a friendly valet, who took care of out luggage while we checked in. The desk personnel were friendly and check-in only took a moment. We were shown to our room by the bellhop, who made sure everything was to our liking before he left. As we started to unpack we realized that our room did not have a closet....are you kidding me??? The room did have a small armoire that would have worked if we were there for a night or two and didn't have anything longer than 3 ft to hang in it. The strangest part about this is that there was about 30 sq. ft. of wasted space in the room that looked like it would easily accommodate a closet. Who builds a hotel room with one??? Fortunately, when I called the front desk they were understanding and moved us to a room with a closet. The woman mentioned that there were two rooms in the hotel without a closet, guess we were one of the lucky ones.

The rooms are nicely decorated with good lighting and a fireplace. Unfortunately, someone didn't account for the wind in the mountains which apparently creates drafts in the exhaust flues of the fireplaces and blows out the fire as well as the pilot light. Maintenance was up pretty quickly and re-lit the pilot, but it blew out 5 minutes after he left. Fortunately once I saw how to light it, I was able to re-lite it the following day when the wind calmed down.

The rooms are very warm, too warm really. We had to open a window each night to get the temperature down to a comfortable one. Even with the heat turned all the way down out room was still in the low to mid 70's and the AC was turned off so that was no help.

We dined in the Escala Provision Company Restaurant (EPC) twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. Both meals were delicious. I have reviewed that separately.

Overall our stay was nice, the staff was attentive and friendly and the hotel was pretty but if we hadn't used Hyatt points to stay here for the week that we did I would have felt a little ripped off. This property just doesn't live up to price that is tries to command. It is unlikely that we will return to this property.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a closet, there are at least two rooms at this hotel that do not. Also, if y...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Staying at the Hyatt Escala for the Sundance Film Festival this year. (I'm actually right now in the middle of my stay...how am I finding time to right a review? No idea!)

Lots of great things about the hotel:
- Rooms are huge. Co-workers are in a suite and have a full kitchen and laundry. My King Bed room has a microwave, fridge, dishes, big bathroom with shower and separate, nice tub. HD TV of course (with loads of channels but no guide...)
- The feel is like semi- old school mountain cabin. Rooms have a gas fire. Comfy but a little dark- no overhead lighting.
- Staff couldn't be friendlier. They'll drive you to the bottom of the hill to the bus stop if you just ask. Tons of smiles. It's hard to be cranky here.
- And it's quiet. I haven't heard anyone over my head (I'm on the 2nd floor).

I'm not skiing but if I was, it would be ridiculously great. This part of Utah, not too far outside Park City central called "the Canyons" has loads of lifts right off the roads and right next to the Hyatt. I would love to take the kids and wife here for 4+ days of skiing. WIth the ease to the slopes and the friendly staff, plus all the space in the room, I think it would be a relaxing good time.

But the there are some things to consider about this hotel, and maybe hotels in The Canyons in genera, if you are going at a peak time like Sundance Film Fest:
- You are up the hill and the closest store at the bottom is the 7-11, which you have to drive to. Maybe the staff would take you down and wait and bring you back up but I'd be uncomfortable asking, personally.
- It's a must drive to Park City central. Luckily, they have a great bus system that...as I understand it, is free all the time (definitely is for Sundance). But still, you have to get to the bottom of the hill to get to the bus. (Note they also have a shuttle daily, that leaves the Hyatt on the hour. Generally good. Though on snowy Saturday night it didn't show downtown for a pick-up back to the hotel, for over 2 hours. That's a long 2 hours in the uber-snowy conditions. We ended up taking a cab with other guests.)
- If I was coming at a mellower time, I'd consider renting a car to get around faster.

Some notes if you are looking for a place for Sundance: this little city gets hopping - 1000's poring over the roads and out of restaurants and hotels. Hyatt Escala is a great place to get away from the crowds after a long day, but it's also far away when the snow is coming down and you need to get to a screening or party somewhere in town. The Canyons have a few shuttles that go to Park City Main Street, but not a lot. The snow will make them late and it's taken me about 45 mins to get from the Hyatt to Park City central. The various theaters are scattered and not walking distance. Yesterday it took me an hour and 45 mins to get to a theater just out of town. I don't blame the Hyatt - the issue was snow meets traffic. But if I come back to Sundance, I'll get a room closer to town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

If Going to Park City this is your place to stay! This hotel is a beautiful Property now run by Hyatt; the Food, the Atmosphere, The Rooms, The Service, All First Class!! If going skiing or just Visiting Park City this be your hotel of choice!! Was thouroughly impressed by everything about this hotel from Service, To Amenities, To the Rooms!!
Awesome Hotel!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

PROS: The location of the hotel was perfect. It was a 5 minute walk down to the main area of the Canyons where you can get rental equipment and hop on the Red Pines Gondola from there. Very convenient. The hotel was gorgeous and nicely decorated. I was impressed with the quality of furniture/bedding/etc and the fireplace in the rooms was a nice touch. The pool/hot tub area was nice and stayed open relatively late.

CONS: No full length mirror. I know a lot of people are there to ski and it doesn't matter, but I was attending a wedding and it was very inconvenient. The restaurant seemed over-priced and I was not impressed with the food or the service. Much better bet to hop on the shuttle and go somewhere downtown.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We were very impressed with Hyatt's outstanding service and luxury rooms! The quality we expected was delivered to the highest degree.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Escala Lodge at Park City? Share your experiences!