“Everything you need, and need to know is here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 Attractions in Park City
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Chicago/LA
3 attraction reviews
“Everything you need, and need to know is here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I moved to Park City, UT this May. I decided I would become a fly fisherman and called around to a few shops. The first shop I called told me the cheapest outfit (That is, a Rod, Reel and Line) would be around $650!!! OUCH! The second shop tried to sell me a $400 day trip, even though I had never wet a line before!

The third shop, Trout Bum II, was just right. They got me into a good starter combo that didn't break the bank, but was much better than something I expected for the price. They spent around 2 hours showing me everything in the shop and placing it into categories: Nice to have, Must have, Only if you are rich. They then spent time showing me knots, teaching me technique, pointing out a good spot on Google Maps and picking out some flies.

I can't stress enough the level of personal service I have received from these guys over the last few months. They have basically taught me almost everything I know about fishing.

There are usually no more than two people working the shop, and they are ALL GUIDES. This isn't a place where you could walk in and get a job selling gear. If it is busy in the shop, you may not get an immediate hello if they are helping a customer, but if you wait a moment they will spend as much time as you need helping you. I have been there for an hour and bough 2 TWO flies! :)

Can't say enough!

Park City, Utah, United States
3 attraction reviews
“wanna catch a trout on a fly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

they have it all, from guides to all the gear ready to go any time of the year. very cool shop!

Visited December 2011
usa
87 attraction reviews
“Drowned iPhone, No Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

These guys were great, outfitted my husband and brother with all the gear they needed including flies. Bro made hubby trek 5 miles with gear. After 9 hours I went out to Whole Foods and "caught" myself a few steaks. After 12 hours they finally returned, sans trout and with a drowned iPhone. The folks at the shop were terrific, outfitted them even though my husband took a size 15 boot (only 1 pair available) and the guys had a great day together, as they live 1,600 miles away from each other. Male bonding. The date of our visit was last summer, not this past one, but I didn't have a choice and believe this outlet, with expert trout fishermen, hasn't changed much. We now have gear for guests who visit, well, flys at least. It was an expensive day (iPhone) but a good one for all and we ended it with an impromptu dinner party for eight.

Visited July 2011
Park City, Utah
“Great day for my 5 year old buddy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

A close friend and I thought it would be fun to take another friend of our's 5 year old son on his first fly fishing trip. Our little buddy's father is in the process of completing his transfer back to Utah. The Trout Bum 2 crew recommended the Provo River, outfitted our little buddy with waders and wading boots, chose very productive flies, reminded me on how to tie the "bounce" rig and even gave specific directions to an uncrowded (we went fishing on a Sunday) very productive run on the river. The little big guy caught three brown trout. His excitement is unforgettable! It was one of my best days ever on a river. Our pint size companion cannot stop talking about his adventure. None of it would have been possible without the expertise and very patient assistance of Trout Bum 2.

Chicago
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome half day fly fishing on the Provo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is the second year in a row that we have taken a half day trip with the guides at Trout Bum 2. We had 7 in our party-3 adults and 4 kids-so we had three guides take us out to the Provo. Our guides were patient and even seemed to enjoy our 4 boys (3 of which are teenagers!). The guides took care of everything-from providing snacks and drinks to helping us reel in the big ones! All of us caught many beautiful brown trout. I am pretty sure we will go fishing again next year, and if we go, it will be with Trout Bum 2!