“Excellent in Every Respect” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9100 Marsac Avenue, Park City, UT 84060   |
Ranked #1 of 59 hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Antonio
“Excellent in Every Respect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days. From check-in to check-out, everything was executed perfectly. When we approached the reception desk we were greated warmly and given a brief tour of the property. We were then escorted to our room to complete the check-in process. A bottle of champagne and birthday cake were waiting for us. We had a vista view room, it was very large with a nice couch and sitting area in front of the bed, a marble entry area, a large walk-in closed, and a large bathroom with a separate deep soaking tub and heated floor. Overall, very happy with the room. The lobby and common areas are beautiful and very well maintained. The main restaurant Apex was delicious with a nice variety of choices on the menu and very good service. We at there twice for dinner and each morning for breakfast. Dinner was great each night. My wife loved the wild mushroom risotto. The quality of the food at the breakfast buffet was very good also, but choices were somewhat limited and I wish they would have had a few more options (especially after 5 days). The bar at Apex was also very nice. We had a couple drinks there before dinner one night and met the resort's sommelier. I believe her name is Leah. She was filling in for the regular bartender and she was absolutely great, very friendly and knowledgeable. My wife and I really enjoyed visiting with her and talking about different wines, she also recommended a great Oregon pinot noir. She was a great ambassador for the hotel. We also enjoyed Daly's sports bar. We bowled a couple games the first night, and played pool, shuffleboard and darts another night. It's a really nice option to have if you don't want to head into town. I also have to commend the hostess who was working at Daly's on Saturday and Sunday night. She was great. Since we were moving around a lot playing different games we didn't necessarily have a set waiter/waitress, so the hostess would check in on us periodically to see if we needed anything. As an example of just how attentive the service is, on one night we had finished playing pool and saw some dart boards on a wall. We walked over to throw a few darts but when we got there we realized there were two tables set up in front of the dart boards. Before we could even turn around our hostess was there asking if we wanted the tables moved so we could play darts, and in less than a minute the tables were moved. The ski concierge was nice and the equipment we rented was top notch. Your boots are warmed before you arrive and the hot cider when you return is also nice touch. We used the indoor pool, hot tub and fitness center a couple times. Pool and hot tub were very relaxing, we almost fell asleep on the lounges in there. The fitness center equipment is great and there is plenty of it, even some free weights. Transportation into Park City is also excellent. We went into town two nights for dinner. The hotel's courtesy cars (a Mercedes van and a Mercedes SUV) were available immediately each time we left, we never had to wait when leaving the hotel. When we were ready to be picked up we simply called the number the driver gave us and they were there within 10 minutes to bring us back to the resort. On the first trip into town the driver even gave us a brief tour of the main street area to help us decide on a restaurant. This is really one of the few resorts I have visited where I cannot come up with any complaints. It's not cheap but it was worth it. Everything was great and every person we met was excellent at their job. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We've stayed in a few luxury resorts around the world (and a lot of mediocre or worse hotels) and this compares with the best. Very comfortable, excellent service, and beautiful designed and decorated. I went there in January for a meeting and did not enjoy the snow, but I heard from colleagues that the spa is amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is the second time I have had the pleasure of staying at the Montage. The first was for a corporate event. This time was for a one night get away for my wife's birthday. Everything about the Montage is first class and perfect. All staff are very attentive and polite. They make you feel welcome from the minute you walk in until you check out. It was so nice to pull in with our ski gear and have it delivered right to the ski shop so we could get ready. The ski valet service was a nice touch. I have never had anyone offer to help me with my boots. We had a short delay while the bell service delivered our ski gear. The ski valet assigned to us kept apologizing. After we were ready, she insisted the manager come to apologize. It was very unnecessary but very indicative of the commitment to service at the Montage. We had checked in early so we could start skiing. We received a call from the front desk while we were skiing. When we finished skiing, we reported to the front desk and were immediately escorted to our room by the front desk attendant. The room was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. The bathrooms are grand. And, the bed was among the most comfortable I have ever slept in. It was also the warmest.

Thank you Montage for a great night!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there last year and thought the property was outstanding. When we went over the holidays, the hotel was booked solid and I felt the service suffered some. There were some specific things that were issues that should have been easy to fix but it took a number of phone calls to the front desk and eventually a call to the manager to get things rectified. Once the manager got involved, they did bend over backward to make sure we were happy.

We will definitely go back but I do think there are a few things that need to be fixed:
1. S'mores and hot chocolate - they shut it down way to early especially if you have been out skiing all day
2. Tubing - the 1 person working seemed put out to have to bring tubes up to the top of the hill. He eventually disappeared for a while, then when he returned, he shut the tubing down despite a number of families still on the hill.

I don't want to sound too negative as the Montage is really a great property in a great location on the mountain. It's just when you spend as much as you do for a stay there, you want it to be perfect. this time it wasn't but we will return and give it another chance. I recommend a first floor room if kids like to play in the snow.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I loved everything about this place which I give a 5-star rating. It's a luxurious home away from home. Its location, facilities, and staff make it so. The surroundings offer a breathtaking view. The resort is elegant yet comfortable. And the staff -- you can tell they love working there. I could live in my spacious room and lavish bathroom. The best part of my stay was sinking into the soft pillows and my bed at the end of a busy day. Obviously if you go, you'll want to engage in winter sports activities like skiing, snowmobiling, trapshooting, or snowshoeing. Their Compass Sports can help you with all that. But make sure to check out their spa facilities too. For families or groups, try bowling at Daly's Pub, meet the Bernese Mountain Dogs Monty and Jonas, or make s'mores by the fire pit.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor and was next to the the doorway leading to the Grand Lawn. I loved i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is our second time back to the Montage and just love how they cater to our kids....however they overlooked our reservation was for four...two adults and two kids. So we walked into our room and the poster said ' Welcome (my daughters name) to MDV' Although my two year cannot read....my wife can. They did not welcome my son...which was pointed out by my 8 year old. The room was nice but we could never get it above 68 degrees....burrr. The Apex breakfast had a great waiter who remembered our drinks and preferences every morning....what was downhill was the omelet station...the two chefs did not speak english and it was frustrating to pick ingredients....okay we did finally figure it out that if you say bacon that equals spinach, tomato equals mushrooms. Why would they have these young kids manning the station if they really cant speak english? Last year it was definitely not like that. Compass sports was awesome...Ben looks like he runs the show. Ted the photographer like Ben was awesome and took some memorable moments. The one thing that Montage offers is their powder puff park which has a tube run for kids and adults. The only issue is that you have to carry the tubes yourself up 50 sets of stairs and by the time you get to the top you collapse in the tube. We asked the gentleman at the top to help carry up tubes but his english was broken, so suffice to say my legs are more sore from climbing those stairs then skiing in the deer valley powder. They need to invest in a carpet conveyor......to cart us up along with the tubes.

So overall, enjoyed it again but they need to start watching their hires or at least properly train them. Reading other reviers we are getting more enclined to try the St Regis!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just spent Xmas week at Montage. Overall, we had a great time and I would recommend the hotel.
The hotel is very attarctive and feels new, which it is. Rooms are nice and on par with a 5 star property.
The ski services were A+. Good friendly staff, well organized, very little waiting, etc. At the end of the day it's about the skiing for my family and it was as hassle free as one could want.
The service is where the Montage is not quite there yet - for a 5 star resort. Room service was very slow. We only ordered twice - both times for dessert. The first time we cancelled (after nearly an hour) because my kids fell asleep before they delivered. The second time I kept getting a recording that all operators were busy and my call would be answered shortly - something you'd expect from an airline; not when dialing room service in a 5 star hotel. I called the front desk and the guy was very apologetic and personally delivered our order fairly quickly. So ultimately we were happy and appreciated his effort, but it shouldn't be so difficult to order ice cream for your kids.
We also had an issue with our room not being made up one day while we were skiing. Again they were quick to send someone right up to correct, but there were many issues like this over the course of the week that they need to iron out.
While staff in general is good, i had one overarching issue. They are seemingly trained to stop and defer to you when you walk past them. I have no doubt they think this is a show of respect or form of heightened service, but it often has the opposite effect. When I'm walking down a hall and a staff person is walking towards me and then stops 20 feet from me and freezes until I pass him/her, that just feels awkward. This repeatedly occurs throughout the day and i personally didn't like it.
One final note, the resort feels a little isolated. I like ski resorts in or adjacent to small towns or villages. While Park City is only a couple miles away, it's at least a 20 minute wait every time we wanted to take a shuttle to/from Main St.
But all told, we had a great time and would go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Montage Deer Valley? Share your experiences!