“Doesn't Get Better” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego, California
“Doesn't Get Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I went to the Montage for three nights. We have stayed at five start luxury resorts all over the world, and this one really stands out!!!

We pulled up at midnight (yes, midnight!) and were greeted by three hotel employees. They greeted us by name, quickly took our luggage, offered us water, and gave us a brief tour of the hotel. Then the manager personally walked us to our room where he gave us a run down on how to use the very high tech lighting, t.v., and fire place system (ALL through the remote control).

The next morning we were greeted by name as we dined in their restaurant. After was ski time.

NEVER EVER have I had such ski service. EVER. We were greeted at the door, immediately placed in a seat where another employee fitted us for boots, measured us for skis, offered us water and quickly set us up. The employees put on our boots for us, carried our skis outside where they were then set up on the ground with poles waiting for our use.

Each time we came to the lodge for a break, they took our skis, valeted them for us, and had them ready and waiting when we returned to the slopes.

Each night we ate at the Apex restaurant. The service was incredible and the food was amazing. Not a minute went by that we weren't being offered fresh bread (warm and fresh and wonderful), given new silverware, filled up fresh water, and offered wine and drinks when our glasses got 1/4 full.

The next night we dined at the Apex, even though we did not have the same server, our current server knew from the night before that we did not like our food salty. He was sure to mention to us that the chef will go light on the salt (AMAZING!!)

I am very particular about the hotel rooms I stay in. I am fortunate enough to live in a beautiful home, so when I pay tons of money to stay at a hotel, I am very picky. The rooms are divine! Ours was a king room. There is a small foyer, a room to the left and a large bathroom to the right. The room is so warm and inviting with crown moldings, beautiful paintings, fire place, plush beds, comfortable sofa, separate tub with bath salts. Large shower with two shower heads (a large rain shower head which is a personal favorite). My bathroom floor was heated!!! Never did my feet get cold :)

Anyway...If you want the best of the best...I cannot recommend this highly enough. We will be back for sure!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We have just returned from four absolutely delightful nights at the Montage Deer Valley. As an executive in the lodging industry I think I have a fairly discerning taste and I fully approve of this resort!!

From the moment of the beautiful descent into Salt Lake City I had a sense we were in for a special trip and boy was it - the resort arranged for airport transfers with park city transport and they were great both coming and going. I was greeted at the door upon arrival and swiftly brought to our suite - same for the later arrival of my wife and son.

The suite was great - ample room in the parlor with a nice fireplace and table for four for dining - the master was great with the bed unreal comfortable and the bath as expected with five fixtures - loved the heated floors - and the amenities top notch. I will say that Jessica in guest relations was great and she accommodated a request to add on a second bedroom at the last moment and that made the stay for the three of us much more comfortable - at 13 going on 17 our boy now likes his own room - spoiled I know!

I will say the service was outstanding - we had absolutely no issue with housekeeping - room service was prompt if not a tad expensive (the buffet at apex was free but eggs, oj and coffee set me back $50 - just a very minor comment - and to that regard we would never complain about ancillary pricing when we well knew going in it is a luxury resort.....................). Guest services and concierge outstanding along with the entire ski valet and the folks at compass - awesome.

The views from our suite were fantastic (see pics) - I would definitely recommend a "peak" view room from the comments I have read as it is so worth it - again I don't get those that go to the cheap in a place like this and then have the nerve to complain about their room type - pay the incremental dough to get a good view in the first place!!

There are multiple restaurants on site - the only one we didn't try was the sushi spot - the lounge offers very comfortable seating and a good menu of lighter fare - but ample enough to make a meal as I did with an old friend while we waited for Maria and Alex to arrive - all very good - we loved Apex for breakfast and lunch - we especially though loved Daly's Pub - just a great environment for families with four bowling lanes, billiards, shuffle board, fooseball, wii's, arcade games etc............great tunes from stones to doors to coldplay - and very good pub food as well - and don't shy away from asking for items off the apex dinner menu - we had them send down the fondue which was great! We actually cancelled our last night fine dining in Apex in favor of another round at Daly's just because we had such a great time there!

Th ski in ski out is just fantastic - our son had a great time - it is so EASY! The only issue I had is the hotel isn't synced very well with Deer Valley in terms of making prior arrangements etc but you just learn to deal with it.......apart from that everything was great including our private instructor.

Little touches like s'mores every afternoon (with five different varieties of marshmallows??!!) at the fire pit - and the kindness of the staff to gather up our boy to take him down while mom and dad were in town enjoying two awesome gigs at sundance's ascap music cafe! And the free family photos they provide to the welcome stuffed animal for the little ones - just great touches for a great stay.

All I know is we would love to return - and Alex already lobbying for that on our way out of town!!

Thanks so much for such a memorable weekend!

David, Maria and Alex

Room Tip: Again get a peak view room - if you are paying the dough to stay here there is no reason not to pay...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

For, this was quite simply the best hotel ive ever stayed in. Outstanding in every way.
I dont know how you could have a better ski in/ ski out experience. The level of service in the ski shop was over the top. In fact the level of service at the entire property was so high, that at times it made ME feel uncomfortable!

I cant believe they are not a Conde Nast top hotel, but Im assuming its because they are too new. You'll see them there next year without a doubt.

I plan to return at some point for a splurge with the wife.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Wilton, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Deer Valley for a corporate event centered around this year's Sundance Festival and stayed 3 nights at the Montage. Full disclosure: we're not typical patrons of hotels in this category, although we've had our fair share of stays at Four Seasons resorts, and most of the stay was paid for by the company sponsoring our travel. Nonetheless, this facility is extraordinary in depth and breath, and we were blown-away by the range of services and activities available as well as the exceptionally friendly, courteous (but not over the top) service from everyone at the Montage. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday, only to have the desk manager tell us our room wasn't ready so they upgraded us - at the same price - to a one bedroom suite! We were escorted to their basement "Pub and Sport Bar" to catch the NFL division championships and grab a bite while the room was made-up and enjoyed excellent, fresh food and some local ales with rabid fans from across the globe. We spent 1/2 of a day at their spa - complete with indoor pool, workout room, and treatment area - followed by a full day of ski-in, ski-out skiing on the Deer Valley slopes (no snowboarding allowed!!). They sized us up for gear - accommodating our rather oddly shaped feet - and helped with getting equipment on (and off), which my wife especially loved after nearly 20 runs on the hills. So many little things impressed us, from the heated floor of the bathroom to the heated outdoor pool and hot tubs to the multiple evening fires for staring into the vast numbers of stars. Truly an amazing place - would love to be able to travel back with our kids, assuming one of us hits the lottery!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We've stayed at the Stein, the St Regis and now, the Montage. Hands-down, Montage is the best! Service was great. Staff was friendly and helpful, but not over the top. Truly a special experience. They also have a fun game room and pub. It was perfect for after ski with my kids. They even have four lanes of bowling. We're going back!

• Stayed January 2012
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Okay, so we headed to Deer Valley right at the peak of holiday travel and our flights were delayed and did not arrive until 2AM. Our greeting was awesome and especially for my 7 year old girl (there was a pleasant surprise involved). The only complaint is that after being in constant contact with the hotel about our delays they stuck us in a handicapped room. It had no walk in closet, no balcony, no tub and was very cramped. The next day I spoke to management (Jessica) and she was polite but stated that some people like those types of rooms. I had explained that the room I paid for was to have a balcony, walk in closet and a tub...and that was left at that. If this was Vegas or any other high end hotel I believe something more than an apology would have been offered. Once we got into our new room...The Montage would be the place to be. The heated bathroom floors were ever so wonderful in the morning as having the roaring fireplace on while you sleep. Compass sports was easy, fast and the staff fantastic. The morning breakfast at Apex was great and dinner mostly at Daly's which is casual and easy for both adults and kids. The Ski-in-Ski out is true and the way to go. My daughter did 2 mornings at paintbox which she loved. PowderPuff park is an area for kids to sled. All in all, the staff, the rooms and the whole Montage was a great experience and we will be back next year!

Room Tip: Make sure you request NOT to be in an ADA room unless you need to be.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Prospect, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We sayed at the Montage again the week after Christmas this year. Compass Sports really makes it worth the extra $ you will spend to stay here during ski season. Their service is unbelievable. I think that the Apex staff should be learning from the Compass folks. Apex staff is slow and we had to ask for soda refills most every time we were there for both breakfast and dinner. Accomodations are great! Afternoon complementary smores are a hit with the kids as well as the new tubing ramp they have installed. Daly's food is great. Service is good and the atmosphere is very relaxing. We hope to be back, but won't be able to do the 7 night minimum if they require it, so we might have to move to St Regis. I hope they may bend the rule for a family returning for the 3rd year. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Montage Deer Valley? Share your experiences!