“Understated Elegance” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Understated Elegance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

New, well-managed luxury property with extremely attentive service. First impressions were wonderful due to speedy valet service and a smooth check-in. Concierge led us to our vista room overlooking Park City while our bags were unpacked for us and bottle service began as we sat on the balcony. There is a new evolution in luxury travel to focus more on services than amenities if you will. Montage has a perfect balance between the two.

Room size is above average, with an expansive entry and bar, walk in closet, midsize balcony and a very large bathroom. Extra touches to note are Control4 integrations into all lighting and sound systems, luxurious fireplaces in every room and radiant-heated marble floors throughout. Rooms were thoroughly sound-proofed and the security of the facilities was extremely high - indoors as well as outdoors facilities.

The onsite gym is fantastic. New equipment, a large selection and a full-time staff to provide training, personal and/or group classes (e.g. yoga, pilates, cycling). Montage also sets itself apart by having a gorgeous indoor mosaic pool and spa as well as a heated outdoor pool and multiple hot tubs open year round. Montage also boasts an onsite bowling alley, pub and rec space, a full-service restaurant, bakery, cafe, shopping boutiques (including a jeweler) and multiple bars. In essence, this property does not require you to leave for anything and if you choose to, they'll provide the complimentary transportation to Main Street, Park City. Can I also say - THANK YOU for not having a resort fee.

Areas for improvement could include:

1. More attentive wait staff in Apex. Ordering breakfast took nearly 20 minutes and over 90 minutes to dine after signing the check.

2. Towels need to be consistently re-stocked on the pool decks. Usually found myself dripping all the way back to the room...

3. Only the residences have kitchen options. For those who wish to stay longer time periods, eating out can become quite obnoxious. Competing properties (e.g. St. Regis and The Waldorf Astoria) have kitchen options in the regular hotel which is a win for the extended traveler - and I may mention, the upgrade is quite affordable.

4. Valet opted to shove my luggage into my back seat vs. my trunk upon checkout and damaged my leather. The valet is not responsible for collision, fire, earthquake, storm, theft, mechanical failure BUT is responsible for inflicted damage. I'll take this up with the hotel directly.

Montage is definitely worth a second visit. Not quite worth the high-season rates but most definitely worth the moderate season pricing.

Room Tip: Pay for a vista room so you're not dealing with facing a retaining wall. This property is set on...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed four nights during the off-season. It wasn't busy, so it was like we had the whole big, beautiful place to ourselves. We wanted to go "all out" so we stayed in a suite. Expensive, but it was spacious, richly-decorated and seemingly spotless. Upon first arrival, I was in awe...of the whole property. It wasn't long, however, before I noticed used coffee grounds all over our room's kitchen counter. It was unfortunate, but I figured it might've blended into the dark granite countertop and been easily overlooked by housekeeping. My spouse left for business and I showered. I wrapped myself in one of the room's luxurious bathrobes. Then, I found an old note in the pocket. Apparently, a used robe from the previous guest was just rehung to pass off as fresh!! Next the shower and sink won't drain. And the new robe I ordered never came.
I mentioned these instances the following day to the front-desk clerks, as I needed to head down to also report the broken in-room dishwasher (that was discovered after I noticed a housekeeping staff "washing" our dishes by wiping them with plain water and a rag). I wanted the desk clerks to be disconcerted; to WANT to my experience to be better. I really wanted them to assure me this was unusual and restore some of my initial excitement about staying at this property, but they barely batted an eyelash.
Since I would rather not be in my room while a strange repairman fixing the dishwasher is present, I went to the pool. I was the only swimmer while numerous landscapers, painters, electricians, etc were working all around the grounds. It was quite uncomfortable to be in a bikini in the middle of what amounted to be a construction zone! One man literally stood still watching me for about 5 minutes. As I walk into the pool a stone tile on the steps collapsed right under my foot. I could've easily gotten my toes stuck in that hole that now led down to the filtering vents underneath. I reported this to a nearby hotel worker who mentioned this "keeps happening." My concern about the tile made it's way to the manager, who did come and speak with me as I lay by the pool. He realized I was having a "rough" stay and offered a free room-service meal. I never took them up on that. Second-rate food brought to my room is not what I was hoping for (by the way, the on-property dining is rather mediocre for a place of such gandeur). I wanted the staff of this potentially grand place to truly give a darn. It's not as if they were distracted with other guests; the place was nearly empty.
No apologies at checkout, no follow-up apology letter. Nothing. Often a better judge of a hotel and it's staff is on how adversity is handled.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Romeotravels,

Greetings from Montage Deer Valley….

First off, our sincere thanks for taking the time to share comments in regard to your stay this past spring and we certainly apologize for the opportunities you experienced.

I would like the chance to speak with you personally so we could review the details and work to ensure you are completely satisfied with the resolution.

If your schedule allows, please contact me at the number below as I look forward to the chance to make this right for both you and your spouse.

David Mars
Resort Manager
(435) 604-1300
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Just spent two nights here in a Residence Suite and all I have to say is that I didn't want to leave. The second the porter opened the door to our 1200 sq foot room, I was at home. Beautifully appointed kitchens with top of the line appliances, heavenly beds that I never wanted to leave, gorgeous views of the mountains, and lovely sitting areas by the fireplace. One of the things I loved was the second we got into the room, our porter called down to the front desk to get a robe for my 11 year old son that fit him perfectly. My son was thrilled by the treatment. We cuddled up in front of the fireplace and watched a great football game while the snow came down. Everything about this place screams luxury with the rich wood floors and heated tile, the bath amenities that make your skin feel like silk. We also did the Art of the Spa and thoroughly enjoyed the whirlpool/steam room/sauna experience. Another benefit? Smores every day at an outdoor fire pit that are gourmet and oh so tasty.

Everything about this place made me feel like a million bucks and I'm not a spendy traveler; I love nice places but enjoy saving a few $$ from time to time. However, after spending two nights here, I would gladly pay more. I'm already looking at my next visit!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago ,IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

While attending a conference my wife and I stayed at the Montage. The car valet staff was very attentive. The room was finished nicely but unfortunately the was right in the side of a dirt wall ten feet away. Given the price and not overly crowded hotel at the time I would have expected a better view. Dinner for our group was in a very bland looking banquet room with uninspiring food to match. The location is pretty far from town. The elevation is much higher than most other hotels in the area and several people in our group felt Ill effects. Overall I would say it was Ok but not great

• Stayed September 2011
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I just spent 4 days at the Montage Deer Valley for a business conference, and it was so lovely, it felt like I was there on vacation. The rooms are large, the bathrooms are huge, and the furnishings are top-notch. Loved the large gym, yoga classes, spa, and hiking trails right out the back door.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We are fans of the Laguna and Beverly Hills Montage. Upon receiving an email from Deer Valley Montage advertising their Autumn specials, my husband changed his already booked hotel reservations (for a planned business meeting in SLC) to the Montage Deer Valley. The deal offered was amazing (like.. AMAZING) for such a lovely resort. The room, lobby, common areas, workout facility, spa, etc... are very Montage-esque; class and comfort. Exactly what you would expect from this caliber hotel. However, more important was the warm and welcoming attitude from the staff. With the exception of the front desk receptionist (not unkind, just miscast for her position. I am of the feeling that a resort's "gatekeeper" or front desk/check-in person should be the MOST welcoming of all. Or at least a smile, right? ) every employee we spoke to or came across was overtly friendly and accommodating. The Apex Restaurant & Bar and the Buzz employees were enthusiastic and genuinely happy people. We were greeted with true kindness at the valet stand every time we entered or exited. The concierge was efficient and helpful. Even Monty (the resident "Mascot" dog) greeted us with a wagging tail and glee. The highlight of the mini getaway was the acoustic performer at the Apex bar. This singer played for hours taking request after request. It was as though we had our own private concert. The quality of music/sound was an honest 10+. We actually had dinner reservations at the St. Regis down the hill and had to cancel because we were so content at the bar listening to the music, eating fondue and having a drink prepared by a REALLY nice bartender. Again, the Montage Deer Valley seems to be perfecting the quintessential mountain resort experience in a real genuine way.
Overall, a fantastic experience. We normally visit Deer Valley/Park City in the winter months two or three times for ski trips with the kids. What an unexpected gift to experience Deer Valley in Autumn. The tremendous color of the valley and the quiet, calm of the resort makes for a close competition to the beauty of winter and ski season. We will definitely return.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have stayed here twice recently for business trips. The service and staff are first rate, everyone is extremely pleasant and helpful and all requests were met with almost instant responses. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, loved having my morning coffee sitting in front of the fireplace and enjoyed the balcony!!! Large bathroom, wonderful toiletries. Gorgeous views.
The location is a bit remote from Park City but the hotel provides transportation.

Room Tip: Residences are 2-3 bedrooms and have fantastic kitchens, comfortable living/dining room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Montage Deer Valley? Share your experiences!