“Exceptional Personal Attention” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomfield hills
“Exceptional Personal Attention”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

It is Sundance weekend. Deer Valley is packed with visitors. I planned a trip with my family along with several other families and we all rented condos within walking distance to the St. Regis Hotel.  Upon arrival we decided to meet at the new St. Regis Hotel. We were going to have lunch and coordinate our actinides for the weekend. Suddenly I became very ill with flu like symptoms. I had been feeling under the weather for days prior to the trip and all of a sudden it just hit me. I excused myself from our group and went to find a place to rest for a moment. Within minutes a hotel staff member approached to ask if he could assist. I was quite weak at this point and thought it best to get a room at the hotel rather than infect our family in our condo. St. Regis staff sprung into action. They got me a room, escorted me to it, which followed with crackers, ginger ale, blankets and whatever else would make my stay more comfortable. I was not charged for this. I stayed for two nights and personal attention was paid to my every need. The staff rescheduled spa treatments I had booked prior to arrival, they brought blankets out to me while I sat at outside fire pits, and brought tea with lemon and honey. Staff personnel asked me how I was feeling whenever they saw me.

I travel extensively for both business and pleasure and I have found myself at the front desk on various occasions complaining about poor service. It was so refreshing to request a meeting with the manager this morning to congratulate him on a job well done. Oh, and by the way, upon check out, a private car transported me and my luggage to my original condo destination. All without a charge. When arriving at my condo the driver removed my luggage from the vehicle and brought it up to my unit. The service clearly was exceptional.

I will seek out St. Regis Hotels while traveling in the future and thank all of the staff at Deer Valley for taking such wonderful care of me.

Sheryl Ryan

529 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

The St. Regis is close to being superb and is disappointingly so. We were there for four days. On the positive side, it's in a wonderful locations, spectacular facilities, workout room, jaccuzzi, etc. On the negative side, it's not as tuned for skiers as possible. Specific examples:
-The breakfast area was remarkably slow. While on weekends, you can quickly get a bite, on Friday, it took us 15 minutes to get a muffin. Amazing...
-The ski rental shop is understaffed during peak times. We waited an hour on Saturday morning to rent skis. Either have more people (and have a proper queue), or open earlier.
-The valet lost our car. We waited over 30 minutes for our rental car and was finally informed that they couldn't find it. Now, it was nice that they shuttled us to our restaurant and picked us up, but it would have been better to let us know they couldn't find it and to to then tell us that they eventually found it.
-We made numerous calls to fix our TV. While on a one-off basis it could be fixed, it necesitated many calls.

All in all, it's a lovely place, but a little too much hassle for something that should be superlative.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

We headed to St. Regis for the salted caramel dessert. The bar and restaurant were full. However, the food and beverage director, Mark, personally escorted us to the library where we were able to order dessert by the fire. The hotel staff was professional and didn't act like we were not wealthy enough to be there, even though we were just two young couples and a friend.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

The service at the St. Regis Deer Valley was outstanding. We have stayed in many five star hotels but none have had such professional, friendly, and helpful staff. In particular, the ski valet service was truly amazing.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

ST REGIS DEER VALLEY IS APPALLINGLY POORLY MANAGED: I booked a car for the airport through concierge for an international connection. Concierge assured me there would be no hickups. However, in the morning when i checked out neither the concierge nor the car were anywhere to be found. There was no record of my booking. They could not contact the concierge on her cell phone. I had to wait for 20 minutes with someone with managerial responsibility to take charge of the situation. I had a $4000 non refundable ticket to London I was going to lose. In the meantime,that person, the front desk manager was having "tea" with a guest. He is the worst trained and rudest manager I came across. Although the Hotel had 5 cars sitting around to take guests to the resort, he didnt take the initIative to use one of them to take me to the airport which is 30 minutes away. When I threatened to sue him for lost time and ticket value, he started to make some calls and luckily for me he found a taxi that was near the hotel. When I arrived at the airport they had closed the flight which was overbooked. Miraculously, one person accepted to be bumped out of the plane and I made my connection. BUT THE STRESS I WENT THROUGH WAS HORRENDOUS.
SECONDLY, when I booked I was assured I would get an automatic upgrade as a Starwood preferred guest gold member, as there was plenty of availability in the category above. Needless to say I had to fight for it at arrival.
THIRDLY, I asked for New York Times every morning, which never arrived and when I asked they blamed it on the delivery. Meanwhile, at their bigget rival MONTAGE, New York Times was stacked every day on every table even in public places.
LASTLY, the hotel is not really ski out on the main mountain runs. The car service provided by the hotel is chaotic and extremely slow. On average, one waits for 20 minutes for a car.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Dear Kesalto,

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience at the resort. Unfortunately, the transportation issue was one that was not in our control and the events that transpired after were not accurately portrayed by your review. The concierge recommended our preferred provider for transportation, but you decided against it. She adamantly discouraged using the particular company that you booked. The front desk manager was assisting another guest when you approached him.

We take pride in our attention to detail and I apologize that you did not receive your New York Times each day.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss any aspects of your stay further with you and can be contacted at stan.kaminski@stregis.com

Kind Regards,
Stan Kaminski, General Manager
Woodmere, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

This hotel is nestled in the mountains of Deer valley. From the second I walked in at 2:30 am the staff was there to help with anything. They were that way the entire trip. Always trying to help. The skiing was great. The ski service was awesome, from renting at Jan's to fitting the boots, putting them on and taking them off, it was amazing.
Rooms were beautiful and the butler service was a treat.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Let me start by saying this is not my first trip to ski Deer Valley. Instead this is my 4th trip. The skiing there is that good. I've rented vacation houses or condos previously in Park City, but this was my first time at the St. Regis.

I'm from Chicago and while I don't travel that often, I do always stay in upscale accommodations. A few weeks ago I was at the W in Times Square, I wasn't that impressed, just so so service and the smallest room I've ever seen for the price.

In fact, even though I usually stay at the nicest accommodations, I'm almost always disappointed in the amenities and the service. It's almost never worth the high prices that are charged to stay and travel first class.

I had the same apprehension when going to the St. Regis in Deer Valley. I was taking my girlfriend on her first ski trip (ever) and this wasn't going to a be an inexpensive trip by any means (I usually treat myself since I work all the time and never go on vacation.)

After booking through American Express and being told that the St. Regis would give me an upgraded room and you can ski right out of the hotel, I figured we'd give it a shot even though the cost would be double my last trip to Deer Valley (granted the St. Regis quite a bit nicer than the small vacation house on the Deer Valley Mountain, where I stayed last time.)

Let me tell you...

The St. Regis blew me away!!! The service, amenities, location, and all the extras are just amazing. Again, you will have to pay, as it's a very expensive place to stay. But it's so, so, so worth it. If you have the means, I highly recommend it (quote from Ferris Bueller.)

You arrive on the first floor and check in a very classic nicely appointed (if not a little small, don't worry though, you aren't in the real hotel yet.) lobby. After you check in is when the show begins.

You go up in what is called a funicular. It's basically a big glass car (picture a big gondola) on a rail that brings you up to the "real hotel" The reason this happens is the hotel is actually on the mountain, not on the bottom like most hotels but actually built on the mountain. The views are simply amazing from anywhere on the hotel (because you are on a mountain.)

So we got to our room and it was very nice. Here's a few of my observations:

-Spacious with a big comfy bed and big comfy chair. I am unusually underwhelmed by the hotel rooms that I've been in, but this looked pretty nice.

- His and her sinks, which I know my girl likes (because I'm a guy and I'm messy.)

- 2 ipod docks to place your music

- Great balcony with 2 Adirondack chairs and a table for lounging in the sun. Amazing view, that is unmatched in my travels to ski towns.

- Room service (which we ordered multiple times, because we were so exhausted from skiing) was quick (30 minutes or less every time) and the food was always top notch (seafood, steaks, burgers, breakfast, all good.) but again, not cheap by any means (dinners $100+ / breakfast $50+)

-Best interface I've ever seen on a hotel tv, (it actually worked and was smooth and easy to use.) First time I've seen that.

-Two shower heads (rain shower and regular) nice touch. Although the handle that turns the water came off, I just stuck it back on.

-Soaking tub in the bathroom was a little small, but it was there if you wanted to take a bath.

-They will take you anywhere in their Cadillac Escalades. To town or to a different part of the mountain. My girl had a lesson at Snow Park, so they drove her and her skis to the lodge (so it was easier, she didn't have to ski tough terrain to get there.) Then they went and picked her up and brought her and her skis back to the hotel. They even drive through this gated community to get you to the town (or wherever) faster. (I like fast!)

Here are my thoughts on the rest of the hotel and how they treat you as a guest:

- In general the best overall service I've gotten in an upscale hotel to date.

- The hotel is amazingly beautiful throughout

- Great looking pool with waterfalls and 2 hot tubs to soothe those achiing ski muscles.

- Plenty of towels, robes, lotions, bottles of water, available everywhere, (very nice touch)

-Lots of indoor and outdoor fireplaces to lounge and hang out. All very nicely done with lots of comfy seating.

-Great Spa. My girl went for a massage and she loved it. She said it was one of the nicest spas she had been to. Around $200 for her 90 minute experience (including tip.)

- Best game room I've seen in a hotel (for kids or adults) playstation 3 (with Move Controllers), Xbox (with New "Microsoft Connect), 2 ping pong tables, pool table, movie area, old fashioned stand up shuffle board game, among other activities. I was impressed, if you didn't want to ski or go to the spa, the St. Regis has stuff for you to do.

-Very nice library reading area. It looked like something out of a Sherlock Holmes movie.

-The gym was also nice (although I got my exercise on the mountain). Plenty of towels, water bottles, fruit, nice locker room, headphones for you to use if you forgot yours, etc. The St Regis is very good at "those extra touches."

Here are my thoughts on how the St Regis is if you are skiing (why else would you go there???):

-The best all around skiing experience that I've ever had. All because of the convenience factor made possible by the St. Regis.

-The hold your equipment for you each day (not that uncommon)

-They warm your boots for you. (They don't just keep them in a warm room.) When you (I mean they) put your boots on, they are actually warm (feels pretty good!)

- They put your boots on for you. You just come downstairs to the "Ski Prep Area" They ask your room number and they bring your boots out to you and put them on you.

-Then you walk about 15 feet and your skis are sitting right there (layed out, ready to click in), poles too, and as luck would have it, the St. Regis is on the Deer Crest run so you start skiing!!!!

-When you get back (for the day, or if you want to take a break) they take your boots off for you and keep your skis right there (or put them away for the night.)

-If you are renting skis - The Jans rental place is right next to the ski prep area (We got our rental equipment) and we were in our equipment and skiing within 10 minutes (I've seen that process take over an hour before) but not a the St. Regis, they are set up just right.

-Special mention to Robbie who runs the ski valet area. He is awesome and literally made sure everything was just right. He fits right in at the St. Regis and he should probably be promoted.

- One of the most exhausting (and annoying) things about skiing is lugging your equipment and getting in and out of your boots. The St. Regis makes it so convenient. They literally do everything.

Last thoughts:

The St Regis will be the best ski vacation you ever have. But you will have to be able to afford it. If you can, I believe it's a first class location with first class service. I had read some reviews that were written when they first opened. It appeared they had some issues (who doesn't when you are new). In my opinion, they've worked through those issues to offer a first class experience. Again, you will have to pay for that experience, but I believe it's worth it.

Lastly, I wrote this review because of how impressed I was with my experience at the St. Regis. I'm a commodity trader who lives in downtown Chicago. Good skiing to ya!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis Deer Valley? Share your experiences!