“Skiing at the St. Regis - Wow!” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Skiing at the St. Regis - Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Let me start by saying this is not my first trip to ski Deer Valley. Instead this is my 4th trip. The skiing there is that good. I've rented vacation houses or condos previously in Park City, but this was my first time at the St. Regis.

I'm from Chicago and while I don't travel that often, I do always stay in upscale accommodations. A few weeks ago I was at the W in Times Square, I wasn't that impressed, just so so service and the smallest room I've ever seen for the price.

In fact, even though I usually stay at the nicest accommodations, I'm almost always disappointed in the amenities and the service. It's almost never worth the high prices that are charged to stay and travel first class.

I had the same apprehension when going to the St. Regis in Deer Valley. I was taking my girlfriend on her first ski trip (ever) and this wasn't going to a be an inexpensive trip by any means (I usually treat myself since I work all the time and never go on vacation.)

After booking through American Express and being told that the St. Regis would give me an upgraded room and you can ski right out of the hotel, I figured we'd give it a shot even though the cost would be double my last trip to Deer Valley (granted the St. Regis quite a bit nicer than the small vacation house on the Deer Valley Mountain, where I stayed last time.)

Let me tell you...

The St. Regis blew me away!!! The service, amenities, location, and all the extras are just amazing. Again, you will have to pay, as it's a very expensive place to stay. But it's so, so, so worth it. If you have the means, I highly recommend it (quote from Ferris Bueller.)

You arrive on the first floor and check in a very classic nicely appointed (if not a little small, don't worry though, you aren't in the real hotel yet.) lobby. After you check in is when the show begins.

You go up in what is called a funicular. It's basically a big glass car (picture a big gondola) on a rail that brings you up to the "real hotel" The reason this happens is the hotel is actually on the mountain, not on the bottom like most hotels but actually built on the mountain. The views are simply amazing from anywhere on the hotel (because you are on a mountain.)

So we got to our room and it was very nice. Here's a few of my observations:

-Spacious with a big comfy bed and big comfy chair. I am unusually underwhelmed by the hotel rooms that I've been in, but this looked pretty nice.

- His and her sinks, which I know my girl likes (because I'm a guy and I'm messy.)

- 2 ipod docks to place your music

- Great balcony with 2 Adirondack chairs and a table for lounging in the sun. Amazing view, that is unmatched in my travels to ski towns.

- Room service (which we ordered multiple times, because we were so exhausted from skiing) was quick (30 minutes or less every time) and the food was always top notch (seafood, steaks, burgers, breakfast, all good.) but again, not cheap by any means (dinners $100+ / breakfast $50+)

-Best interface I've ever seen on a hotel tv, (it actually worked and was smooth and easy to use.) First time I've seen that.

-Two shower heads (rain shower and regular) nice touch. Although the handle that turns the water came off, I just stuck it back on.

-Soaking tub in the bathroom was a little small, but it was there if you wanted to take a bath.

-They will take you anywhere in their Cadillac Escalades. To town or to a different part of the mountain. My girl had a lesson at Snow Park, so they drove her and her skis to the lodge (so it was easier, she didn't have to ski tough terrain to get there.) Then they went and picked her up and brought her and her skis back to the hotel. They even drive through this gated community to get you to the town (or wherever) faster. (I like fast!)

Here are my thoughts on the rest of the hotel and how they treat you as a guest:

- In general the best overall service I've gotten in an upscale hotel to date.

- The hotel is amazingly beautiful throughout

- Great looking pool with waterfalls and 2 hot tubs to soothe those achiing ski muscles.

- Plenty of towels, robes, lotions, bottles of water, available everywhere, (very nice touch)

-Lots of indoor and outdoor fireplaces to lounge and hang out. All very nicely done with lots of comfy seating.

-Great Spa. My girl went for a massage and she loved it. She said it was one of the nicest spas she had been to. Around $200 for her 90 minute experience (including tip.)

- Best game room I've seen in a hotel (for kids or adults) playstation 3 (with Move Controllers), Xbox (with New "Microsoft Connect), 2 ping pong tables, pool table, movie area, old fashioned stand up shuffle board game, among other activities. I was impressed, if you didn't want to ski or go to the spa, the St. Regis has stuff for you to do.

-Very nice library reading area. It looked like something out of a Sherlock Holmes movie.

-The gym was also nice (although I got my exercise on the mountain). Plenty of towels, water bottles, fruit, nice locker room, headphones for you to use if you forgot yours, etc. The St Regis is very good at "those extra touches."

Here are my thoughts on how the St Regis is if you are skiing (why else would you go there???):

-The best all around skiing experience that I've ever had. All because of the convenience factor made possible by the St. Regis.

-The hold your equipment for you each day (not that uncommon)

-They warm your boots for you. (They don't just keep them in a warm room.) When you (I mean they) put your boots on, they are actually warm (feels pretty good!)

- They put your boots on for you. You just come downstairs to the "Ski Prep Area" They ask your room number and they bring your boots out to you and put them on you.

-Then you walk about 15 feet and your skis are sitting right there (layed out, ready to click in), poles too, and as luck would have it, the St. Regis is on the Deer Crest run so you start skiing!!!!

-When you get back (for the day, or if you want to take a break) they take your boots off for you and keep your skis right there (or put them away for the night.)

-If you are renting skis - The Jans rental place is right next to the ski prep area (We got our rental equipment) and we were in our equipment and skiing within 10 minutes (I've seen that process take over an hour before) but not a the St. Regis, they are set up just right.

-Special mention to Robbie who runs the ski valet area. He is awesome and literally made sure everything was just right. He fits right in at the St. Regis and he should probably be promoted.

- One of the most exhausting (and annoying) things about skiing is lugging your equipment and getting in and out of your boots. The St. Regis makes it so convenient. They literally do everything.

Last thoughts:

The St Regis will be the best ski vacation you ever have. But you will have to be able to afford it. If you can, I believe it's a first class location with first class service. I had read some reviews that were written when they first opened. It appeared they had some issues (who doesn't when you are new). In my opinion, they've worked through those issues to offer a first class experience. Again, you will have to pay for that experience, but I believe it's worth it.

Lastly, I wrote this review because of how impressed I was with my experience at the St. Regis. I'm a commodity trader who lives in downtown Chicago. Good skiing to ya!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

There are many amazing things about this hotel (the location, the rooms, the restaurant food) but I was completely disappointed by the service. I honestly couldn't believe that service like that could be possible in a 5 star hotel in a developed country.

-We arrived at the hotel in the late evening (Can't remember the time exactly but it was between 7-9pm) and our room wasn't ready because it was being cleaned.
- I usually had to call housekeeping to insure that someone would come clean my room while I was gone (and I hardly stayed in the room). Oh and don't bother pressing the "Make my room" button, its simply there for decoration.
- The showerhead in my room was broken and even though I called and asked a technician to come, no one ever showed up
- The concierge was almost always either busy or unhelpful.
- The internet is expensive and slow
- And the most shocking was the breakfast staff. They are extremely slow and forgetful. The only day that we received good service at breakfast was when a bartender was asked to help out because another member of the staff was absent. I was traveling with a group of 4 families that all had breakfast individually and EVERYONE experienced problems with the service at breakfast.

Although, the location of the hotel almost makes up for all of that. Its perfect for skiers, you can pretty much take an elevator down to the slope and ask the staff to prepare all your gear for you.

Also, the people that work in the ski valet need to be applauded because they seem to be the only trained staff at the hotel.

All in all, while the hotel facilities and location easily deserve the 5 stars, the staff seems to be at the level of a good motel.

• Stayed January 2011
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear AstraCastra,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences during your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed aspects of the hotel, but allow me to personally apologize for your experiences with the service. This does not reflect the high standards of service that I have set for this property, and I am currently looking into each shortfall that you have mentioned.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss any aspects of your stay further with you and can be contacted at stan.kaminski@stregis.com

Kind Regards
buffalo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

The St. Regis has potential to be a 5 Star resort, but needs improvement. The concierge service is the most that needs improvement. It seems like they spend most of their time passing the buck when asked for help. This was ongoing throughtout the planning process: from booking dinners in advance, to ski lessons, to recommendations on "things to do", etc... Most 5 star resorts' concierges are trained to "always say yes", especially for the amount it costs to stay at a place like this. That was not the case here. Also, they need more cars for transportation. We were always waiting to go to dinner or in town. 4 SUVs are not enough. The Little Nell in Aspen is probably a quarter the size and have more SUVs for guests. I would still recommend the St Regis only because I think these 2 main points are because the St Regis is fairly new. I hope they improve for the future.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear skier016,

Allow me to personally apologize for your experiences with the concierge and our transportation. This does not reflect the bespoke and uncompromising service that we strive to deliver each day.

Kind Regards
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I have had the good fortune of traveling to many high end properties and this is one that CANNOT be missed. We just returned from a post Christmas, New Year trip to the St. Regis Deer Crest. Suffice it to say, I was floored!

We arrived late with our 5 year old son in tow. We were greeted with smiles, attentiveness, eagerness to please and the aroma of eucalyptus. We were whisked to our rooms, which were stupendous. Like living in a cloud, all luxury linens and down duvets, Beautiful design and decor, elegant baths and gas fireplaces. Clean as a whistle. The building is built like a war ship. You cannot hear a single noise from another room or the corridor.

The community spaces are outstanding with wide open rooms, vaulted ceilings, comfy lounging areas, vast mountain views and enormous fireplaces. There are outdoor heated pools and jacuzzis, fire pits and a fire garden for cocktails in the evening. Children's game rooms and designated activities. Like evening stories and roasting s'mores.

The resort shop will outfit you with brand new rental equipment as well as any other possible necessity. Ride down the fanicular to the children's ski school it runs so smoothly. The kids have fun and learn essential skills in a patient, positive environment. from 10 - 3:45. Parents can enjoy runs together sans kids.

The ski valets will put on your boots, lay out your skis and poles, offer you beverages, as well as take it all in for storage and drying after the days runs. PURE BLISS. The only way to ski.

The spa was simply glorious. True spa soaking pool with powerful jets, saunas and steams, oxygen therapy rooms, etc... I had a Massage by Russell whom I wanted to kidnap. He soothed all my aching ski related soreness.

Cannot wait to return as soon as humanly possible. Loved everything and everyone!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Ashland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Gorgeous location and facility. Unfortunately many of the staff members need more training. Here are a few specifics:

Got incorrect info from the entry level reception desk about how the shuttle into town works so waited an hour before being able to get downtown to our dinner reservation. In our room, the knob fell off the shower fixture and the TV didnt work. Called engineering 3 times. Soap only on one side of the his/hers sinks. Waited 45 mins for our car after calling the valet, and it wasnt because they were busy, it was because they had miscommunicated with each other. The hotel has only been open a couple of months so perhaps they're working out a few kinks? Nevertheless, my husband and I were disappointed not to mention frustrated and frankly we expected better from the St. Regis.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Dear Travelathon,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience, although I am disappointed we did not meet and excede your expectations.

Allow me to personally apologize for the miscommunication between staff members. This does not reflect the high standards of service that I have set for this property.

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

Many of the staff seemed to be new and were lacking knowledge about the facilities. Additionally the private dining experience was unsatisfactory - incorrect items, missing items, food cooked to the wrong temperature etc.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Dear ds123456,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Allow me to personally apologize for your experiences with private dining and some of the staff members. This does not reflect the high standards of service that I have set for this property.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

The St. Regis Deer Valley is lovely. The hotel is clean and furnished in a comfortable contemporary style. Access to the ski slopes is excellent. Although there is only one retaurant, the food was consistently excellent. The local transportation provided by the hotel made travel to Park City a pleasure. The service, however, was erratic. While these were relatively mild annoyances, given the hotel's reputation and rates, they should not have occurred. Some examples:
1. We had to call each day of our stay to reqeust the turn-down service, which should have been provided automatically.
2. Housekeeping did not empty the garbage bins in the room daily.
3. Dirty towels from the previous occupant were left in the wicker basket in the bathroom.
4. Soaps/shampoos were not routinely replenished.
5. Delays in checking in and checking out due to technical problems at the front desk.
6. Slow service in the restaurant for breakfast- a problem for skiiers trying to eat quickly and get out on the slopes.
7. Although generally excellent, occasional lapses on the part of the ski valet resulted in our receiving the wrong equipment on one occasion and loss of a ski accessory on another. One day there would be three people trying to help us, and the next we would be ignored for 15 minutes while staff stood around talking to one another.
8. Table service at the St. Regis bar was not well-coordinated. For apres ski, we were left sitting at a table for close to 30 minutes before a waitress took our order (after we said something to the bartender). In the evening, a dessert order took an hour and two of the items were not delivered as ordered.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dear AnalyticalTraveler,

I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the St. Regis Deer Valley. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall experience, but I am disappointed you experienced areas of shortfall with service.

We strive to provide each guest with a bespoke, memorable experience and the service that you received is not the norm. Each of these areas will immediately be looked into.

Stan Kaminski, General Manager

Been to The St. Regis Deer Valley? Share your experiences!