“Everything about the hotel was spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

3rd Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chapel Hill, NC
“Everything about the hotel was spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

We just returned from an amazing stay at the St. Regis Deer Crest Resort. The hotel is truly one-of-a-kind. The view from the top of the mountain was breathtaking and the whole family enjoyed the special funicular. The ski valets were very attendant, as was the staff of the hotel. The property itself was just beautiful, with cozy places to enjoy complimentary lattes, play chess, have a drink outside...The kids loved swimming in the heated outdoor pool among the snowy mountains. We enjoyed several nice dinners at the J&G Grill (the pea soup and the tuna appetizers were particular favorites) and a few nice lunches at the bar. My son and I also had a peaceful breakfast at the J&G, with the yummiest hot chocolate he's ever had (his words.) It is also worth mentioning that the sommelier was quite knowledgeable. We stayed in one of the three bedroom units which was impeccably decorated and incredibly spacious. My husband enjoyed the easy ski in, ski out mountain access. I had to take the kids down the funicular to drop them off at ski school (they weren't ready for ski in/out), but it was easier than any other drop off (Vail, Beaver Creek) I've experienced. I was also very impressed with the van service that the hotel supplied to shuttle people to downtown Park City (a five minute trip.) The town was charming and we had some nice meals and enjoyed shopping there. We will definitelly be returning, particularly since I didn't get to try the acclaimed Remede Spa at the hotel. Thank you to the staff of the St. Regis for this memorable vacation!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Manhattan, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

This is a beautiful new resort and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our 5-night stay there. It is ski in/ski out, and the rooms, bathrooms and outdoor spaces are wonderful. Service at the Terrace and Library definitely needs improving--I got the sense that they are not used to large crowds.

This is a pricey resort and at Deer Valley I would compare it to the Stein Eriksen Lodge. A few comparisons to the Stein: the views from the rooms are superior (at least versus the same lower priced rooms at the Stein) and overall, if simply due to newness, rooms here are better; many more gorgeous outdoor spaces with numerous outdoor fireplaces here; noise travels less here (I recall hearing footsteps above my room at the Stein); in my opinion, at least for a beginner level skier the location is not as convenient as the Stein, which is mid-mountain at the center of the Deer Valley resort right near Silver Lake Lodge; (the St.Regis is on the lower part of the Deer Hollow Run; you can take the funicular down and walk to the Snow Park Lodge). the ski valets at the Stein were more pamering although the service here is still quite good and getting warmed up boots in the morning and your skis set on the slope (which you get at both places) is fabulous; it is very pleasant to not have to walk through the maze in the cold outside as one has to do at the Stein; the spa here was wonderful and again it was great to not have to walk in the cold to get there. The food was overall very good, especially at the J&G Grill,and I think compares favorably to the Stein, but teh Terrace and Library have serious service issues and need to beef up staffing. Somehow the common areas, which are beautiful, do not get crowded--which is great, although it makes it seem a little less "hip and happening" certainly than lunchtime at the Stein. I suspect that will change soon.

The location at the Stein is the one clear advantage it has in my opinion to this resort but only in terms of midday skiing (otherwise access for example at night to Park City is quite convenient with the funicular and the resort's complimentary escalade shuttles).

Overall this is a wonderful new resort and I recommend it if you are willing to spend the money for it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Scarsdale, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My family and I recently went to the St. Regis Deer Valley and spent a week over spring break. For background purposes, I have a 8 year old and a six year old and we typically stay in properties such as the four seasons or ritz carlton.

The hotel itself is brand new and is beautiful. Our suite as spectacular. In fact, it was the largest and nicest suite that I have ever stayed in. The resort ammenities were great. The outdoor pool and hot-tub complex was perfect after a long day of skiing and it was extremely kid friendly. The gym was huge and clean.

The fact that the hotel was on the mountain could have been a real plus. However, it should be noted that you need to be able to ski a relatively difficult green/blue trail to get to the hotel from the mountain. This meant that while some of my family could do it, others could not which meant that none of us could use the ski-in/ski-out. Contrast this to the stein erikson where all skiers - indpendent of ability- could ski in and out.

Now for the cons.

- Food. Food was an unmitigated diaster. Simply put it is terrible. Some of the most horrible hotel food that I have ever had. Inedible over and over again. Some examples are tuna that was spoiled for dinner. Pancakes that were constantly burnt. Pizza that was just funky (how can one ruin pizza). Steak that was undercooked or burnt. The final straw was packakes one morning that tasted like they fell on the floor into mouse poison. Literally it was that bad. Note that we were there with four other families that this was the general consensus. DO NOT EAT AT THE HOTEL!!! There are great restaurants in Park City which is what we did after a couple of attempts.

- Lack of a Breakfast Buffet: When you ski in the morning, especially with kids, you need to be able to quickly eat and get out to the mountain. However, the hotel does not offer a buffet for breakfast and you need to sit down and order off a menu. Besides the fact that it was bad it took forever to get served etc. The two days that we tried it, we wound up spending over an hour which is simply too long. The way around this was to order to the room the night before.

- Funicular - To get to the moutain or to get a car into park city, you needed to take a funicular down the mountain. This was a pain as always entailed a wait. For some reason, the hotel does not lilke guests to enter the main entrance (something about the condo community that the hotel is located in).

- Service - Put simply, the service just wasnt there yet. It sort of felt like that you were in this beautiful hotel but then the service reminded you of a marriot. The hotel is clearly not in the people business like the four seasons or the ritz carlton. It is not that they are not friendly it more that they are simply not that helpful and are not willing to go the extra mile for you. While there were specific instances (such as losing our skis the first morning so that we missed our lessons and not caring) it was more of an attitude. I think part of this is the fact that it is a new hotel and they were trying to find their footing.

All in all it was ok. Not great. Just ok. Next year I might go back but would really consider the stein erikson or the montage (if it gets finished in time). However, if they get their act together a bit, it could turn into a great destination. Time will tell.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. We are pleased you and your family enjoyed the hotel amenities, pool and Athletic Club. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the Breakfast Buffet and will add it to our discussions about hotel changes for upcoming seasons.

We are very concerned to hear about the issues you encountered with food and beverage and our service. We take all comments seriously and would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience and address your concerns. We can be reached via email at deercrest.customer.service@stregis.com . We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely, Michael Hatzfeld, General Manager
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

If you have not experienced the St. Regis Deer Crest yet, make sure you make this trip as your next get-away vacation. The service was truly OUTSTANDING!!! My friend and I were constantly pampered by the attentive, friendly and professional St Regis Team members. Gregg at the Front Desk, Catherine and Patrick at the J&G Restaurant, Jared at the Bar, the Wine Vault bartender, Paul - our wine advisor, Christiana and Irina at the Spa (forgot the name of the other great manicurist), Eddie - our favorite Butler, Ralf, the F&B Director who seemed to be everywhere, at any time of day and night and always with a big smile of his face, last but not least, Michael, the most amazing General Manager that any hotel could possible dream to have (he was constantly on the floor greeting and welcoming guests and we had the pleasure to meet him several times during our stay... by the way, this tells you everything about the service culture at this hotel)... are only some of the St Regis team members that made our stay ME-MO-RA-BLE!!! We wish we had taken note of all other names. If you are a ski pro, if you have never skied in your life (that's me), if you like to enjoy fabulous mountain scenarios in the summer, if you want to dine surrounded by 5,000 bottles of selected wine in a private "Wine Vault", if you want to be part of a Champagne Ritual every day at 5:30pm in front of one of the most breathtaking views you have ever seen, if you want to enjoy the best Steak Tartare or the best Mushroom Risotto you have ever had (the restaurant is a creation of the well known Chef Jean Georges), if you want to relax in your wonderful room with your own fireplace, your own butler and even a full size mirror that becomes HD TV, if you want to ride their Funicolar or if you don't even know what a Funicolar is, if you want to experience an unpredecented level of luxurios and charming service... look for the St. Regis Deer Crest phone number or go on line and make a reservation NOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS to the entire Team of this amazing St. Regis! We will see you all soon! G&D.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We have been skiing in the Park City area for many years. After a few years at the Canyons when the children were younger, we switched to Deer Valley and stayed at the Lodges at Deer Valley and the Black Bear (Silver Lake Village). My sister stayed at the Stein Eriksen Lodge and although I have not personally stayed there, I have seen the rooms and had many dining experiences there.

The physical set up of St Regis is absolutely fantastic. Access is VERY easy, both from the Snow Park Lodge through the funicular as well as from the slopes. There are many outdoor fireplaces and sitting areas with spectacular views. The rooms are beautifully decorated and match-up to what one would expect from a 5-star hotel. The staff were extremely polite without exception. The main hotel restaurant (J&G Grill) was excellent, but the overall food service (the bar and the Terrace) is still lagging behind and needs time before it is fine-tuned to match the Stein Eriksen lunch dining experience. Different members of my family stayed at St Regis, so we got to see the typical King Luxury rooms as well as the suites. Both were absolutely beautiful with magnificent views. The Butler service lived up to its expectation with prompt service at all times. Overnight shoe-shine service was the best I have ever experienced anywhere (including the Claridges in London, the Four Season's etc.)- the shoes came back with a complimentary shoe tree, wrapped in paper, and spit-shined like new. That was definitely a highlight. Morning ski service with warmed-up boots and skis lined up on the slopes, ready to go was unbeatable. Our children loved the outdoor heated pool and jaccuzzi, again with e pristine view and set-up. In summary, we went to this hotel expecting to see some typical new hotel short-comings, but the staff exceeded our expectations at many levels. They have clearly addressed some of the complaints that had been raised when the hotel first opened this season and I have no doubt they will continue to fine-tune all the details. This was expensive, yes, but definitely a WOW experience. Treat yourself.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Dear Guest,

We are glad you chose to stay with us during your annual trip to Park City! We are very happy that you were pleased with our location, Butler service, Ski Valet, and pool/jacuzzi.

As you noted, we have addressed many of the concerns that arose during our opening. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us deliver an impeccable St Regis experience. While it appears that you were mostly satisfied with the service you received, we would welcome your insight on how it could be exceptional. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me at deercrest.customer.service@stregis.com. We hope you will return soon!

Regards, Michael Hatzfeld, General Manager
Chicago ,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

My wife and I loved our stay at the St. Regis. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived and rode up the funicular with our butler thru the end of the trip. We had a beautiful one bedroom suite with a mountain view. The room furnishings and design are modern and top quality. The overall finishes throughout the hotel are high quality and magnifiicent. The ski storage valets wre extremely helpful each day and even offered to assist buckling up our boots, although I declined. The ski in ski out location on the mountain is very handy. My wife and I had a "couples massage" at the Remede Spa which was excellent. The spa finishes are well designed and very attractive. We eat lunch and dinner at the J&G Grill and thought the food and service was outstanding. We also enjoyed the outdoor pool and hot tub. I tried out the athletic club (fitness center) and found it to be well outfitted with top of the line equipment. We love our stay and are planning to go back again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your comments about our Spa, Athletic Club, Ski Valet, and food and beverage! We hope you will return next season so we can deliver another exceptional experience!

Warm regards, Michael Hatzfeld, Genral Manager
Placida, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

This was perhaps the very best trip our family has ever taken. Achieving that statement from a guest who travelled with both of his parents, his wife, and a mother-in-law for a week is no small feat! Extraordinary service levels, Exquisite construction and attention to detail coupled with the best ski resort know to man all add up to a compelling vacation story. The terrain was well suited to all of our diverse skill levels, from my parents (in their 60's who had not skiied in years) to myself (I prefer steep and deep). The only mistake that we really made was assuming that we needed a car for our trip--we rented a huge SUV, but soon found that the resort offered shuttle service around town at no extra charge. The drivers were prompt and very knowledgable-they served as our concierge service in many cases when we were seeking new dining and entertainment options and exploring the town. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing comments about your recent stay! We are so pleased you enjoyed our complimentary hotel car service and the knowledge of our drivers. I hope you and your family will return soon!

Regards, Michael Hatzfeld, General Manager

Been to The St. Regis Deer Valley? Share your experiences!