“Just Not Making the Grade (Yet)” 3 of 5 stars

3rd Night Free & Credit
Ranked #5 of 59 hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scarsdale, NY
“Just Not Making the Grade (Yet)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

My family and I recently went to the St. Regis Deer Valley and spent a week over spring break. For background purposes, I have a 8 year old and a six year old and we typically stay in properties such as the four seasons or ritz carlton.

The hotel itself is brand new and is beautiful. Our suite as spectacular. In fact, it was the largest and nicest suite that I have ever stayed in. The resort ammenities were great. The outdoor pool and hot-tub complex was perfect after a long day of skiing and it was extremely kid friendly. The gym was huge and clean.

The fact that the hotel was on the mountain could have been a real plus. However, it should be noted that you need to be able to ski a relatively difficult green/blue trail to get to the hotel from the mountain. This meant that while some of my family could do it, others could not which meant that none of us could use the ski-in/ski-out. Contrast this to the stein erikson where all skiers - indpendent of ability- could ski in and out.

Now for the cons.

- Food. Food was an unmitigated diaster. Simply put it is terrible. Some of the most horrible hotel food that I have ever had. Inedible over and over again. Some examples are tuna that was spoiled for dinner. Pancakes that were constantly burnt. Pizza that was just funky (how can one ruin pizza). Steak that was undercooked or burnt. The final straw was packakes one morning that tasted like they fell on the floor into mouse poison. Literally it was that bad. Note that we were there with four other families that this was the general consensus. DO NOT EAT AT THE HOTEL!!! There are great restaurants in Park City which is what we did after a couple of attempts.

- Lack of a Breakfast Buffet: When you ski in the morning, especially with kids, you need to be able to quickly eat and get out to the mountain. However, the hotel does not offer a buffet for breakfast and you need to sit down and order off a menu. Besides the fact that it was bad it took forever to get served etc. The two days that we tried it, we wound up spending over an hour which is simply too long. The way around this was to order to the room the night before.

- Funicular - To get to the moutain or to get a car into park city, you needed to take a funicular down the mountain. This was a pain as always entailed a wait. For some reason, the hotel does not lilke guests to enter the main entrance (something about the condo community that the hotel is located in).

- Service - Put simply, the service just wasnt there yet. It sort of felt like that you were in this beautiful hotel but then the service reminded you of a marriot. The hotel is clearly not in the people business like the four seasons or the ritz carlton. It is not that they are not friendly it more that they are simply not that helpful and are not willing to go the extra mile for you. While there were specific instances (such as losing our skis the first morning so that we missed our lessons and not caring) it was more of an attitude. I think part of this is the fact that it is a new hotel and they were trying to find their footing.

All in all it was ok. Not great. Just ok. Next year I might go back but would really consider the stein erikson or the montage (if it gets finished in time). However, if they get their act together a bit, it could turn into a great destination. Time will tell.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. We are pleased you and your family enjoyed the hotel amenities, pool and Athletic Club. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the Breakfast Buffet and will add it to our discussions about hotel changes for upcoming seasons.

We are very concerned to hear about the issues you encountered with food and beverage and our service. We take all comments seriously and would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience and address your concerns. We can be reached via email at deercrest.customer.service@stregis.com . We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely, Michael Hatzfeld, General Manager

529 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

If you have not experienced the St. Regis Deer Crest yet, make sure you make this trip as your next get-away vacation. The service was truly OUTSTANDING!!! My friend and I were constantly pampered by the attentive, friendly and professional St Regis Team members. Gregg at the Front Desk, Catherine and Patrick at the J&G Restaurant, Jared at the Bar, the Wine Vault bartender, Paul - our wine advisor, Christiana and Irina at the Spa (forgot the name of the other great manicurist), Eddie - our favorite Butler, Ralf, the F&B Director who seemed to be everywhere, at any time of day and night and always with a big smile of his face, last but not least, Michael, the most amazing General Manager that any hotel could possible dream to have (he was constantly on the floor greeting and welcoming guests and we had the pleasure to meet him several times during our stay... by the way, this tells you everything about the service culture at this hotel)... are only some of the St Regis team members that made our stay ME-MO-RA-BLE!!! We wish we had taken note of all other names. If you are a ski pro, if you have never skied in your life (that's me), if you like to enjoy fabulous mountain scenarios in the summer, if you want to dine surrounded by 5,000 bottles of selected wine in a private "Wine Vault", if you want to be part of a Champagne Ritual every day at 5:30pm in front of one of the most breathtaking views you have ever seen, if you want to enjoy the best Steak Tartare or the best Mushroom Risotto you have ever had (the restaurant is a creation of the well known Chef Jean Georges), if you want to relax in your wonderful room with your own fireplace, your own butler and even a full size mirror that becomes HD TV, if you want to ride their Funicolar or if you don't even know what a Funicolar is, if you want to experience an unpredecented level of luxurios and charming service... look for the St. Regis Deer Crest phone number or go on line and make a reservation NOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS to the entire Team of this amazing St. Regis! We will see you all soon! G&D.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We have been skiing in the Park City area for many years. After a few years at the Canyons when the children were younger, we switched to Deer Valley and stayed at the Lodges at Deer Valley and the Black Bear (Silver Lake Village). My sister stayed at the Stein Eriksen Lodge and although I have not personally stayed there, I have seen the rooms and had many dining experiences there.

The physical set up of St Regis is absolutely fantastic. Access is VERY easy, both from the Snow Park Lodge through the funicular as well as from the slopes. There are many outdoor fireplaces and sitting areas with spectacular views. The rooms are beautifully decorated and match-up to what one would expect from a 5-star hotel. The staff were extremely polite without exception. The main hotel restaurant (J&G Grill) was excellent, but the overall food service (the bar and the Terrace) is still lagging behind and needs time before it is fine-tuned to match the Stein Eriksen lunch dining experience. Different members of my family stayed at St Regis, so we got to see the typical King Luxury rooms as well as the suites. Both were absolutely beautiful with magnificent views. The Butler service lived up to its expectation with prompt service at all times. Overnight shoe-shine service was the best I have ever experienced anywhere (including the Claridges in London, the Four Season's etc.)- the shoes came back with a complimentary shoe tree, wrapped in paper, and spit-shined like new. That was definitely a highlight. Morning ski service with warmed-up boots and skis lined up on the slopes, ready to go was unbeatable. Our children loved the outdoor heated pool and jaccuzzi, again with e pristine view and set-up. In summary, we went to this hotel expecting to see some typical new hotel short-comings, but the staff exceeded our expectations at many levels. They have clearly addressed some of the complaints that had been raised when the hotel first opened this season and I have no doubt they will continue to fine-tune all the details. This was expensive, yes, but definitely a WOW experience. Treat yourself.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Dear Guest,

We are glad you chose to stay with us during your annual trip to Park City! We are very happy that you were pleased with our location, Butler service, Ski Valet, and pool/jacuzzi.

As you noted, we have addressed many of the concerns that arose during our opening. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us deliver an impeccable St Regis experience. While it appears that you were mostly satisfied with the service you received, we would welcome your insight on how it could be exceptional. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me at deercrest.customer.service@stregis.com. We hope you will return soon!

Chicago ,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

My wife and I loved our stay at the St. Regis. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived and rode up the funicular with our butler thru the end of the trip. We had a beautiful one bedroom suite with a mountain view. The room furnishings and design are modern and top quality. The overall finishes throughout the hotel are high quality and magnifiicent. The ski storage valets wre extremely helpful each day and even offered to assist buckling up our boots, although I declined. The ski in ski out location on the mountain is very handy. My wife and I had a "couples massage" at the Remede Spa which was excellent. The spa finishes are well designed and very attractive. We eat lunch and dinner at the J&G Grill and thought the food and service was outstanding. We also enjoyed the outdoor pool and hot tub. I tried out the athletic club (fitness center) and found it to be well outfitted with top of the line equipment. We love our stay and are planning to go back again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your comments about our Spa, Athletic Club, Ski Valet, and food and beverage! We hope you will return next season so we can deliver another exceptional experience!

Warm regards, Michael Hatzfeld, Genral Manager
Placida, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

This was perhaps the very best trip our family has ever taken. Achieving that statement from a guest who travelled with both of his parents, his wife, and a mother-in-law for a week is no small feat! Extraordinary service levels, Exquisite construction and attention to detail coupled with the best ski resort know to man all add up to a compelling vacation story. The terrain was well suited to all of our diverse skill levels, from my parents (in their 60's who had not skiied in years) to myself (I prefer steep and deep). The only mistake that we really made was assuming that we needed a car for our trip--we rented a huge SUV, but soon found that the resort offered shuttle service around town at no extra charge. The drivers were prompt and very knowledgable-they served as our concierge service in many cases when we were seeking new dining and entertainment options and exploring the town. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing comments about your recent stay! We are so pleased you enjoyed our complimentary hotel car service and the knowledge of our drivers. I hope you and your family will return soon!

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

The service was excellent (because we had a larger room we were assigned a butler who was professional, friendly and brought back old school hospitality). The room was beautiful, with great views-The hotel is ski in/out on Deer Valley mountain and is also very close to Park City. The funicular is a fun way to get to the bottom to go to the town of Park City. The hotel had lovely details, and I recommend it as the number one place to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Recently I traveled to the amazing St. Regis Deer Crest for a double purpose trip- I was there for two days with a friend then 3 days for an intimate trip with a loved one. Many hotels are not dynamic enough to accommodate multiple trip needs as I had. The St. Regis Deer Crest, however, surpassed my expectation, greatly. The hotel is elegant, warm, of the highest design quality, and filled with beautiful art.

The rooms are very spacious and extremely well appointed. The woman whom I was traveling with has very rich tastes and was extremely impressed. She even commented on the attention to detail and quality as it was demonstrated with her favorite, very high end in-room hair dryer which the hotel stores in every room. The in-room technology was of the highest quality and easy to use.

The service quality and delivery was impeccable. From our arrival, through every touch point, right down to our boots being buckled by the ski butlers, it was amazing! Every need was tended to, perfectly. The staff was welcoming, friendly, and most importantly really contributed positively to our experience with their knowledge of skiing, Park City, and the local surroundings. A++ on service!

Finally, we spent some time at the Remede Spa. It was absolutely incredible. The space is beautiful, the attendants and therapists were world calls, and the design / facilities were the best I've experienced. I could not imagine spending any time in park City without enjoying the sanctuary of wonderful relaxation.

Overall I recommend the hotel with my highest regards. I have already referred it to many of the people in my life that I value most.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
StRegisDeerCrest, General Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments about The St. Regis Deer Crest Resort. We are pleased that our property could surpass your expectations and deliver to your multi-trip needs. Our staff is uncompromising in its pursuit of delivering a flawless experience and I’m happy that we succeeded. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Regards, Michael Hatzfeld, General Manager

Been to The St. Regis Deer Valley? Share your experiences!