My family and I recently went to the St. Regis Deer Valley and spent a week over spring break. For background purposes, I have a 8 year old and a six year old and we typically stay in properties such as the four seasons or ritz carlton.
The hotel itself is brand new and is beautiful. Our suite as spectacular. In fact, it was the largest and nicest suite that I have ever stayed in. The resort ammenities were great. The outdoor pool and hot-tub complex was perfect after a long day of skiing and it was extremely kid friendly. The gym was huge and clean.
The fact that the hotel was on the mountain could have been a real plus. However, it should be noted that you need to be able to ski a relatively difficult green/blue trail to get to the hotel from the mountain. This meant that while some of my family could do it, others could not which meant that none of us could use the ski-in/ski-out. Contrast this to the stein erikson where all skiers - indpendent of ability- could ski in and out.
Now for the cons.
- Food. Food was an unmitigated diaster. Simply put it is terrible. Some of the most horrible hotel food that I have ever had. Inedible over and over again. Some examples are tuna that was spoiled for dinner. Pancakes that were constantly burnt. Pizza that was just funky (how can one ruin pizza). Steak that was undercooked or burnt. The final straw was packakes one morning that tasted like they fell on the floor into mouse poison. Literally it was that bad. Note that we were there with four other families that this was the general consensus. DO NOT EAT AT THE HOTEL!!! There are great restaurants in Park City which is what we did after a couple of attempts.
- Lack of a Breakfast Buffet: When you ski in the morning, especially with kids, you need to be able to quickly eat and get out to the mountain. However, the hotel does not offer a buffet for breakfast and you need to sit down and order off a menu. Besides the fact that it was bad it took forever to get served etc. The two days that we tried it, we wound up spending over an hour which is simply too long. The way around this was to order to the room the night before.
- Funicular - To get to the moutain or to get a car into park city, you needed to take a funicular down the mountain. This was a pain as always entailed a wait. For some reason, the hotel does not lilke guests to enter the main entrance (something about the condo community that the hotel is located in).
- Service - Put simply, the service just wasnt there yet. It sort of felt like that you were in this beautiful hotel but then the service reminded you of a marriot. The hotel is clearly not in the people business like the four seasons or the ritz carlton. It is not that they are not friendly it more that they are simply not that helpful and are not willing to go the extra mile for you. While there were specific instances (such as losing our skis the first morning so that we missed our lessons and not caring) it was more of an attitude. I think part of this is the fact that it is a new hotel and they were trying to find their footing.
All in all it was ok. Not great. Just ok. Next year I might go back but would really consider the stein erikson or the montage (if it gets finished in time). However, if they get their act together a bit, it could turn into a great destination. Time will tell.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the slopes of Deer Valley, this hotel and resort is the perfect location for skiing and vacations. We also offer amazing event space for conferences, weddings, and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Starwood, Amex, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Expedia, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The St. Regis Deer Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Deer Valley Hotel Park City
- The St. Regis Deer Valley Park City, Utah