“Nearly Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando
“Nearly Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Family of four (couple, 11 year old and 7 year old) stayed at the St. Regis for five nights. Here’s a summary of our experience.

Positives
• Location – you can’t beat the gorgeous location, beautiful slope views, ski in/out amenity, Jans equipment rental on premise
• Ski valet – over-the-top service that includes help with putting on/taking off your boots, quick pick-up/delivery, and permanent smiles on the entire staff. Kudos to Vanessa and her team.
• St. Regis Traditions – champagne saboring, hot chocolate bar, and smores were fun events and a hit with the entire family
• Room Service – wide variety, beautiful presentation, and excellent service. The $5.00 delivery charge, 23% service charge, and fill-in-the blank gratuity are steep, but the entirety of the product is excellent.
• Concierge – came through as expected with necessary reservations, but also provided very good suggestions (Lofty Peaks for Snowmobiling and Tubing) and helpful tips (no corkage fee at the Seafood Buffet on the first bottle)
• Platinum Breakfast Amenity – a very welcomed and appreciated $40 breakfast credit

Negatives
There were very surprising pockets of chinty-ness which disappointed:
• (Cliché Alert) “Never look a gift horse in the mouth” BUT “If you’re going to do it, do it right.” Such is the case with the three aforementioned Traditions. On two separate occasions, the 2-hour hot chocolate bar ran out of hot chocolate and there was a 15-minute wait for the new batch. I never saw any employees visiting the smores area during this two-hour event, thus resulting in an absence of napkins and a generally unkempt area. During the champagne saboring, about 75% of the heater lamps were not turned on because the hotel had run out of propane.
• The breakfast oatmeal bar which provided a quick alternative to the restaurant was temporarily closed so “that the guests would dine at the restaurant” according to one employee. Yeah, I bet!
• Low-end toilet paper. Rough! No more need be said.
• Non-plush towels. Pretty standard towels, and a far cry from the decadent Ritz quality.
• “Not a problem.” Call me old school, but when I say thank you, I expect to hear, “you’re welcome” or “it’s my pleasure.” When staying at the St. Regis, I don’t believe that I’m ever creating a potential problem.

All-in-all, it was an extremely enjoyable stay with a few minor disappointments. The kids (and their parents) will forever be spoiled during future ski vacations elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Monjeme,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and your experience with Vanessa and the Ski Valet team. Our St. Regis traditions are an important feature of your visit, and what you experienced during your stay is not what we strive for on a daily basis. We have already made improvements from the feedback you have given us, and so appreciate you taking the time to share this. We hope that you’ll reach out to us when you and your family return and allow us to exceed your expectations in every way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Gladwyne, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We will be coming back to this property for our second time. We had a great stay on our first visit February of 2012 and have decided to return because it is beautiful, ski/in ski/out, kid friendly and we are SPG members. We did have one bad experience at this hotel that I did not feel was handled well. On our way out to ski my son's helmet and goggles disappeared from the ski valet room while we were waiting for our skis and boots. My son and I had to spend several hours and several hundred dollars searching for his lost equipment and then purchasing a new helmet and goggles. The staff in the ski valet room were surprisingly unhelpful to us in looking for the equipment even though it vanished right under their noses and I was not pleased to have to purchase new equipment. Other than that we had a great time and are looking forward to our upcoming visit!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Sunbon,

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return this year and would like to ensure a flawless experience, especially in Ski Valet. We believe you will be happy to find that we have made some changes that will make your experience even better! Please reach out to us if there is anything we can do for you prior to your arrival by sending me a direct message. See you soon!

Warm Regards,
Amanda
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night while passing through Park City. We will definitely be back for a longer visit! As with any St. Regis, the property and staff are exceptional. We were upgraded (SPG Platinum) to a full one bedroom suite and every detail of the room was meticulous! Two fireplaces, two balconies, full kitchen, and a very friendly butler.

The service in restaurant (right by the funicular) was great, as was the habanero margarita. If only Utah didn't have such odd liquor laws.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great value just right before the ski season at Deer Valley during Thanksgiving week.( less than half of the price during the high season) The suite is nicely decorated with a decent view ( the slope view will be better). Did not really use the butler service much but everyone seems to be super friendly. Not much snow during that weekend but the snow machine did a great job, The swimming pool is nicely heated (out door next to slope). Although deer valley is not open, a lot of other ski places open during this time including park city mountain and Alta. The breakfast is really nice and we were allowed to change from the free continental breakfast for SPG platinum to a la cart item with similar price. Great place to use a suite night certificate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The time we spent at this resort made a terrific ski vacation that much better! The property was top-notch as well as the service! The rooms were beautiful, the hotel had all the amenities one could ask for, and the views were fantastic.

We want to thank Thomas for his personalized service. He was there to make sure that my husband and I did not have to look far for anything. Every day he greeted us with a smile and also taught us to saber a champagne bottle!! A special night we will never forget.

We also found the shuttle service to be so convenient. We never had to wait, and the drivers were great.

All in all, everyone at the St Regis was extremely friendly and helpful and we would love to return.

Thank you for a great vacation!

Room Tip: I think you win with every room...if you can, ask for Thomas!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our first experience at this resort, but a good one. They are not on the iPhone or google map grid, and so at night in unknown territory, I had a hard time finding it. I was upset, but the courteous staff handled it beautifully. Thanksgiving 2013 was great fun, and we felt a high level of privacy and attentive service. The food was outstanding, but no real vegetarian options. Loved chatting with our driver who filled us in on the history of the hotel, and area, and people. A return trip is being planned soon.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a bad room. All views are great
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed at the property for 5 nights over the first week of the 2013 ski season - initial impressions were positive - after you get out of your car, you ride a funicular (basically a tram on the ground) up the mountain face to the main hotel area on top of a hill. My 3 year old daughter enjoyed riding the funicular several times during our stay. Check in was relatively seamless and after waiting a bit for an upgraded room, we were able to get into our deluxe suite. The room layout was excellent and the entry door was very solid. I don't recall hearing any noise outside of the room during our stay. For sleeping accommodations, there was 1 king bed in the bedroom and a foldout sofa in the other room. Having a full kitchen and dining table was helpful for quickie breakfasts and lunches. To this end, during our stay, we drove over to the local grocery store and stocked up on supplies. If interested in alcoholic beverages, you may want to take a trip to the county liquor store as well as there were no adult beverages in the minibar...I assumed it was a Utah law issue. You can order from room service however. The unit had 2 fireplaces and 2 balconies, as well as an excellent view of the mountains (see the attached photos). The gas fireplaces were a nice touch, but beware that the glass enclosures get hot enough to boil water. An upholstered chair that was a few inches away from the fireplace actually started to smolder at one point. So needless to say, if you have young kids with you, you may want to be careful with the use of the fireplaces. The St. Regis standard tv in the bathroom mirror is nice to have but the picture quality is a bit grainy. My only real quibble with the room was the poor quality of the wireless internet. In a room that is over $1k/night, you expect certain things... in my case I expect the internet to be usable. It would often cut out, which made downloading Doc McStuffins episodes for my daughter to watch on the ipad pretty impossible... I received the wireless for free as I am an SPG gold member, but I definitely would have asked for a refund had I paid for it. The room also came with butler service, which we didn't really utilize all that much. However, the butler did provide us with a complimentary bottle of wine on our first night, which was a nice touch. Overall the room was excellent.

Moving along to the other features of the property - the general service at the property was good and everyone was friendly. If you ask, they can take care of pretty much anything you need. However, compared to other properties at this price point, it wasn't anything special.

The bar and restaurant - good quality food/environment, which is to be expected. The menu was a bit limited, I believe we ate there for 2 meals during the trip. There are many great options in the local area - Talisker on Main, Apex at the Montage, Glitretind at the Stein Eriksen, High West Distillery (less formal than the others) to name a few.

Spa - had a massage here, excellent facility, nothing out of this world, but solid. Offers a steam room, sauna, hot tub

Pool - I didn't use, but my wife and daughter did briefly. It looks nice, but they thought the water was a bit cold considering the outdoor air.. the hot tubs were good.

Their ski beach and outdoor pavilion was under construction while I was there (this was noted when I booked, but was said to be done before I arrived, and the message was taken down from their website which would lead you to believe that it was finished).

The ski valet staff in the basement are great - they'll help with your boots and gear. Also there is the ability to purchase lift tickets right on the spot at the hotel, as well as rent equipment on site. True ski-in/ski-out, but not for first-timers (like my daughter). Instructors from Deer Valley can meet you here as well, though again not for first-timers.

Overall location was perfect for easy access to the deer valley ski area base - you can take the funicular down and walk 2 minutes or they will take you down in a shuttle (which actually takes slightly more time as the road down the mountain is predictably long and windy). My daughter was going to the fawn program at the ski school, so it was nice to be so close to the site. Other properties such as the Montage or Stein Eriksen are higher up the mountain so would be a longer commute to get to the ski school. Those resorts seem to be more geared to slightly older kids and more experienced skiers and their families.

The shuttle service was excellent - they'll take you into town or other resorts in their fleet of escalades and pick you up when you need a ride back.. of course this could get busy if the hotel is booked up, but it worked well for us.

The real gem is the Deer Valley Resort ski area - great children's center, great instructors.. and the St. Regis being so close to the base, Snow Park, is very helpful for anyone with kids.

My overall view on the St. Regis Deer Valley is that it is a very well located and nice property and while definitely a luxury property, I would describe it as having a "generic luxury" feel - everything you would expect at this level, but nothing truly special that separates it from its peers. I was slightly underwhelmed when I compare this property to other similarly priced resorts I have frequented in the past. Would I recommend staying here again if visiting Park City? With small children, yes. For slightly older kids/no kids trips, assuming you are an ok skier, I would be interested in checking out the Montage. With the caveat that it is a first impression only, I was pleased with their service level when we visited for dinner. They treated us like hotel guests and fawned over our daughter, which she always appreciates. The price point is similar to the St. Regis.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Deer Valley, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear jma5000,

Thank you for your detailed review of your visit with us! We so appreciate your feedback and hope that you and our family will return again soon. We are very happy to announce that in the early new year our internet speed will be increased and new access points will be installed so that your downloads will be a much improved process. Additionally, the Mountain Terrace construction will be complete this month, and the ski beach is open already. Thank you again and we wish you a very happy New Year!

Been to The St. Regis Deer Valley? Share your experiences!