First, I really like skiing at Canyons and my wife and I love getting away to the mountains at end of summer to celebrate our anniversary. We've had great mountain experiences in Apen and Copper Mountain and the Sundial/Canyons was good, but just didn't live up to the same level.
First this area of Park City is really arid/hot/dry, which the resort can't help. If you want a more scenic and cool mountain get-away go further up and stay at Deer Valley or over to Solitude in Big Cottonwood Canyon. The hiking and feel there are much more like Colorado, the Alps, etc with cooler and more scenic areas. Canyons is awesome for winter sports, but scenery is not great for summer compared to the other areas. Also, they don't start the gondola until 10 AM and if you're in a dry/arid/hot environment most hikers and mountain bikers want to start early to avoid later afternoon heat.
Second, we really enjoy a nice pool at the end of a day in the mountains. Sundial has a pool + hot tub and a couple of great grills you can use. But there has been no effort to create a "resort pool experience". There are no plants, no umbrellas, etc - it's more like a very basic hotel pool - and the shade would be really nice given how hot it gets there in the summer. The hot tub also bleached our swimsuits - the property is in the process of replacing them but it's taking time because a different group manages the pool maintenance...
Finally, when we've been on our anniversary trips in the past the resort has usually upgraded us to larger room (given they're pretty empty this time of year) and/or sent up a bottle of wine or fruit/cheese as a congratulations and a "thank you" for booking a week. Didn't happen at the Sundial even though I told them when we booked. Not a huge deal, but just something nice other places have done.
Those are the bad parts but there were also very good ones. The front desk staff was very helpful in recommending hikes on the property and also very scenic hikes up around Deer Valley/Guardsman Pass away from Canyons. Canyons does a great job of having lots of activities even during end of summer - we had an outdoor movie one night and concert another plus lots of on mountain activities like zip line tours, etc that although expensive, are done really well. And Park City in general has a lot of great stuff going on in summer (Sunday Park Silly Market, lots of outdoor music, alpine sled/coaster at Park City Mtn Resort, etc) along with mountain biking and hiking. Canyons puts great literature in the rooms of "Park City Bests" to guide you to lots of great places. They also have a nice fitness center and every room has a DVD player, which was nice for a night in. Another nice perk they offer is access to free washer/dryers right next to your room. Drafts across the way at Westgate has good burgers and pizza for a low key evening and there are some very nice fine dining options a short walk from Sundial too.
We'll definitely ski at Canyons again and will probably go back to Park City sometime in the summer too - but not sure we would stay at Sundial/Canyons again.
- Also Known As:
- Sundial Lodge At The Canyons Hotel Park City
- Sundial Lodge At The Canyons Hotel
- Sundial Hotel Park City
- Sundial Hotel At The Canyons
- Sundial Lodge At Canyons Resort Park City, Utah
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sundial Lodge is located just steps from Red Pine Gondola and an unparalleled ski experience. Positioned in the heart of Canyons Resort Village, Sundial places a premium on vibrancy. Within easy walking distance to ski school, Ski Beach, Murdock's Cafe, restaurants and fabulous resort shops. Sundial is a 35 mile drive from SLC Airport and 4.2 miles from Park City’s historic main street. It’s where the action is! Sundial invites guests to take advantage of complimentary WIFI, free underground parking, ski storage, fitness room, rooftop hot tub and heated outdoor pool all in a warm and energetic ambiance. As of 12/1/12 the majority of Canyons managed lodging accommodations in, Sundial Lodge, will have been refurbished as part of a $1.5 million renovation plan. Guests will enjoy a brisk walk to the Grand Summit for access to the spa, The FARM restaurant, Red Tail Grill, childcare, horse drawn sleigh rides, outdoor adventures and Canyons famous alpine breakfast buffet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Amex, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.