“Beautiful hotel but make sure which room you are reserving” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Park City

Save Saved
You added Waldorf Astoria Park City to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Park City
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2100 Frostwood Drive, Park City, UT 84098 (Formerly Dakota Mountain Lodge & Golden Door Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
For The Love of Food
Ranked #10 of 59 hotels in Park City
Dallas, TX
“Beautiful hotel but make sure which room you are reserving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I made our reservation a couple months ahead of time for a king room. The description of the room was not what we got when we arrived. As someone previously commented the room seemed like an add-on to another room. There was no desk or table for your computer and the room was very small. We called and asked for a larger room and were upgraded to another king room but this had dining table, counter space and 2 bathrooms. What a huge difference! The room was much larger and had a great kitchen with all the amenities.
The thermostat in the rooms must be controlled because no matter how many times we set it cooler after 3 days it never reached the desired temp. The room always seemed quite warm, hence I never got a good nights sleep our entire stay.
We ate a Spruce but were a little disappointed after it being recommended by some friends.
The staff were very friendly & helpful. The valet often did not have change for a tip so we were giving them $5 each time we left and then another $5 upon return. Those tips can get quite pricey when you are in/out a few times a day.
I would recommend the hotel but would advise getting a room with the kitchen and making your own breakfast & snacks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

642 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I cannot say enough amazing things about this place! From pulling up with the mountain backdrop and the staff dressed in their mountain uniforms to the amazing lobby with spiral wood and marble staircase to the outstanding Spruce restaurant and fabulous Golden Door spa treatments. We had an unbelievable time!

The staff was sooo friendly and the food was over-the-top. Every meal topped the one before it! The pool was very nice. The room was clean and nice. As for size of the standard two queen room it wasn't very large but the coziness of the fireplace made it just fine.

One of our favorite off-site activies was a sunset mountain bike tour with Midway Adventure (www.midwayadventure.com). It was beautiful. On your way there there's a little Mexican place in a strip mall that doesn't look like anything special but the food is delicious!

I would HIGHLY recommend this place and can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed here for six days over 4th of July weekend while attending a conference in Park City. I booked the hotel months in advance through Hilton.com as a Silver VIP member. Our reservation was confusing because it had two copies of the reservation apparently because our 2BR suite could also be set up as separate rooms.

There were no problems at check in (around 2pm) and we were literally in "awe" of our suite when we arrived. We were directly above the Golden Door Spa with a view of the mountains. The suite was nicer than its online description and included 5 flat screen TVs, 3 whirlpools, 3 bathrooms, 3 beds, Viking appliances, high end trimmings throughout. It also had three balconies and we were expecting just one. It's likely the nicest room I have ever stayed in certainly over the Ritz in Vegas (now out of business), all the Westins, etc.
The master king BR had a bathroom that included a corner whirlpool tub and separate large shower with double shower heads and controls, and a separate room for the toilet. The other two bathrooms had tub/shower combos however the tubs had jets. Two of the three bathrooms had TVs as did both bedrooms and the living room. Despite facing the front of the hotel we had no problems whatsoever with noise from cars entering and exiting the hotel. After sitting out by the pool I concluded that our room was nicer and quieter and had a better view than rooms facing the interior pool area. Room came with four plush robes that actually fit me - I wore one of them while in the room on and off throughout the stay. One rather minor issue with the room is that it takes a very long time for the HVAC to adjust the temp. When we got there it was 77 in the room - hotter than we are used to. I reset both thermostats to 72 and it took most of a day to cool down to that level. Maintenance said they used chilled water for the cooling and it takes longer. After the initial cool down we had no problems whatsoever with the HVAC. Not a big deal if you are there for six days but it might have been more of an issue had we only stayed one night. If you are staying here and like it cool I suggest to call ahead and ask to have your room thermostat set accordingly before you check in - if possible. Overall the HVAC was quite good once it reached it's set temperature.

We asked about the fireworks on the 3rd. Turns out they would be set off right in front of our balcony. We had a group of friends from the conference over and we got a head on view of the fireworks show from all three balconies. This was a very special treat. Our guests got free valet parking if they made it up to the hotel however one of them was turned away by the police on the main road because he did not have a room key and they did not believe he was actually visiting the hotel. If you have people over for the fireworks it is best to have them come in the "back way" entering not through the main canyons entrance but rather through the the streets just north of the canyons and coming around to frostwood from the back.

I read another review that complained about the staff over the same weekend. We had no problems and in fact the staff was overly helpful - every time I walked downstairs they asked me what they could do for me. Whenever we went out I would ask to have our room serviced and it was done immediately. There was a minor problem with a server in the Spruce restaurant but I talked to one of the managers and it was immediately taken care of and another server was sent to our table. Turns out the problem was a brand new employee who was clueless. The revised server was completely on top of things and had the trainee follow him around after that. I had trouble with our coffee maker in the kitchen. Turns out it required the lid to be on in order to work properly. They sent someone from maintenance to explain it along with a new packet of coffee.

There is only valet parking and it is included in the "resort charge" - they were reasonably prompt even over the 4th with all the visitors and so forth. Wifi in the room was perfect and I used it every day especially because I was working part of the time. Also included in the resort charge.

Golden Door spa is wonderful I worked out there and it is a very good gym with well kept cardio equipment in front of the windows with a view of the mountains. There are a set of kenesis machines involving stacked weights on pullies you get get someone to show you or follow the video. I had my hair done at the spa and got a great cut there - pricy but not outrageous compared to rates I pay in LA and a better cut than my regular LA cuts.

The Frostwood gondola was not running so we had to walk to the Summit area to go up the mountain. We could have gotten a ride from the valet but we were planning to hike up the mountain anyway. Excellent hiking up in the Canyons area - my only complaint there is that there are more mt bikers than hikers in the summer so you have to watch for them as they come up fast. All of them were quite polite however. Gondola from Summit Hotel to the mid mountain area goes over some deep canyons and is rather scary if you are afraid of heights but does the job. They charged to go up but not to come down it.

One day we were in park city without our car and needed to get back to hotel. I called the hotel and they sent a valet to us in a Mercedes SUV to pick us up.

I used the business center one day. It has both imacs and windows desktop machines. I noticed there was no letter size paper for the printer and called down to the front desk. They brought a ream of paper up immediately. One of the best hotel business centers I've ever used.

Overall this was an outstanding stay and a lovely property. Bravo to Waldorf Astoria for getting this one "bang on" it was one of the best conference/vacation combos I've ever experienced thanks mostly to our lovely hotel room and great staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Park City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

stayed there during the 4th of July weekend and the service was down right bad, there are way to many high end choices in Park City with excellent and attentive service. 50 minutes to get margaritas and chips and salsa at the pool for example. I could go ono and on.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, pool and rooms. Breafast is great - especially the pancake! We had a issue with our room and the staff handled it very professionally. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2010
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

From the moment I pulled the car up to the valet, I knew I would enjoy this stay. I lucked out and found a great off-season deal at the Waldorf-Astoria Park City. After my business meetings during the day, I relaxed at the outdoor hot tub and got some good exercise in at the well-equipped gym. The hotel is located at the Canyons Resort but not a the typical base area. I had to ask for directions to find the exact location. My room was beautiful. I stayed in a standard king room with a view of the pool. I loved the gas fireplace in the room! My only complaint would be that I had two meals in the Spruce restaurant and both times, the wait staff brought the incorrect dish out. Both times, they fixed the situation and brought me the meal I asked for. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Provo, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was the second time we have stayed at this hotel, and it was a major disappointment. Our first stay last fall, we stayed in a suite which was very nice. This time, however, we stayed in a standard two queen bed room. What a difference!

The standard rooms are tiny and poorly furnished. There is no counter space, no desk, not even a chair. The only place to work on your laptop, or sit and read, is on the beds. This is very inconvenient and uncomfortable. We called Owner Services and asked if they could at least bring up a chair, but they said they didn't have any. The standard rooms are lock off bedrooms from the suites, but they shouldn't be rented as stand alone rooms with this layout.

Another disappointment was the swimming pool. It is attractive, but the water was COLD. On a bright sunny day with lots of people present, almost no one over the age of twelve was in the pool. It was funny to watch adults take a few steps into the water, then turn around and head for the hot tub. After looking forward to a good swim, though, it was quite disappointing. A pool that is too cold for all but little kids might be expected at an old Holiday Inn, but certainly not at a Waldorf Astoria.

Having previously stayed in a standard room at the Four Seasons Resort Jackson Hole, I can't help compare that experience to this hotel. The Four Seasons had a huge sitting area with comfortable chairs, a desk and chair for reading, writing, or using the computer...all in a standard room. It also had a wonderfully warm outdoor swimming pool. That is what I expect from a luxury mountain resort.

In comparison, this Waldorf Astoria really comes up short. The lobby is beautiful and they have luxuries like turn down service, but the standard rooms are not acceptable...and you shouldn't have to be in a suite to have a good experience in a luxury hotel. A Hilton Garden Inn or even a nice Hampton Inn has more spacious and more comfortable standard rooms than this Waldorf. Living in Utah we enjoy escaping to Park City for short vacations, but we'll stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Waldorf Astoria Park City? Share your experiences!