“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff but beware the daily "resort fee"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Park City

You added Waldorf Astoria Park City to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Park City
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2100 Frostwood Drive, Park City, UT 84098 (Formerly Dakota Mountain Lodge & Golden Door Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, TX
1,723 helpful votes 1,723 helpful votes
“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff but beware the daily "resort fee"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We had some Hilton points that were about to expire and I like to ski so we decided to book a couple of free nights with points at the Waldorf Astoria at The Canyons. Here are the pros and cons of our stay:

PROS:
- The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful in a genuine way. When I ran into the receptionist during the course of my stay, he always greeted me by name. Other staff members were equally welcoming and fun to be around.
- The hotel was beautifully decorated with understated Restoration Hardware colors of charcoal, olive, cream and dashes of crystal chandeliers throughout.
- The Canyons ski area was a 5 minute gondola ride away and the staff were happy to drive guests across the road to the gondola entrance. (I walked but some people might find that hard to do in ski boots.)
- I had one of the best massages of my life at their Golden Door Spa. If you go, be sure and request a deep tissue massage with James.

CONS:
- I really disliked the Waldorf Astoria's mandatory $25/day "resort fee". It should be built into the room price if it is a mandatory fee otherwise, this is just a dishonest ploy to make their room prices appear less than they really are.
- No self parking. They only have valet parking but that is complimentary due to paying the resort fee.
- Their Ferragamo "Tuscan Soul" toiletries were rather cheesy and even I, a self avowed hotel toiletry enthusiast, didn't want to take any of it home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which does not face the pool (can be noisy)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Stayed here just before Christmas. Wasn't a big fan of Canyons but greatly loved Deer Valley. The Waldorf is beautiful and well put together. I really liked the check-in area allowing guests to sit at a personal desk upon arrival. The concierges were tremendous with wonderful recommendations. The house Mercedes SUV was a very nice touch as well. I loved the lobby and Christmas decorations. The ski lobby area was a nice touch with hot chocolate and slippers. I'd suggest it be a larger area and not just stuck over to the side. The walk across the street to the ski lift is a bit annoying. The pools and hottubs are great. I was not impressed with the restaurant as my salmon was quite bland. I must admit that living in New Orleans puts a bit of a bias in me in terms of food taste. I did love my plush room with fireplace, heated bathroom floor, bath salts, and bathroom tv.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We just returned from spring skiing in Park City Utah. We love PC because it is only 40 mins from SLC airport. the Waldorf Astoria was 1st Class! The service was second to none.
Ask for the rooms facing the pool or mountain, the valley view in spring is mostly brown.
The restaurant was good, but very high end and expensive. Needed to be more family
friendly. Too many strange items.

Room Tip: face the pool
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We went for a long weekend over labor day wanting to see what the town was like without snow since we usually come in winter for the snowboarding. It is a beautiful property. Our room was a one bedromm with 2 full baths, a living room, kitchen, and dining room, all large, immaculate, and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and the bath had a jacuzzi. I had 2 spa treatments which were great and the bar was very nice. There are outdoor heaters if you want to sit outside at night when it got cooler. We took the gondola up to hike in the Canyons and that was great. The tails were easy to follow and we spent all day on the mountain eating lunch there. We only ate at the hotel restaurant for one meal besides breakfast since we wanted to try others and had eaten here on prior trips. The food was great but there are so many terrific restaurants in Park City that you certainly should go downtown and try others.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I booked a surprise birthday skiing trip for my soon to be 9 year old. We have stayed here and just love this hotel. We have stayed elsewhere in the area and will continue to stay here when we are in Park City, The ground are immaculate and the rooms are appointed SO WELL! We said that the very first time we stayed there and nothing has changed! We were amongst the first revenue customers. The concierge/s here do a very nice job! They address everything and are really on the ball. The restaurant is good but not as good as Spruce was. It is just not as refined and eclectic. Love this place and will probably be back this summer!

Room Tip: One bedroom suites and up
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Once we worked out a room exchange after arrival everything from the staff was excellent. We apparently booked our arrival on top of a Tony Hawk entourage and did not make the celeb rating. This resulted in a small room next to the ski warm up center. After some discussion the staff was able to find us a higher room with a less crowded view.

The quality of the rooms is as good as you will find in skiing areas with granite, viking kitchens, sound proof walls, bathroom jacuzzi and gas fireplaces. The highlight for me since I am frequent work traveler was a truly comfortable bed and top notch environment controls.

The staff was always in terrific spirits which may be more about the overall area than just this hotel but since this was our first Park City trip I will give the hotel the benefit of doubt. I used the business center a few time and the printer and internet access was very easy and of high quality. They have three iMacs and three PC's. The pool was large an lightly used even when the temperature was 65. It was bracketed by two hot tubs which were also typically available and uncrowded. There was poolside service if you requested it form the restaurant.

We ate dinner at Slopes and while the price was typical "resort high" the food was very fresh and well prepared along with a great wine list. The seating was comfortably spaced and the service was well staffed for a fairly intimate feel in a large resort setting.

The skiing operation included a warm up room on the 4th floor (ground) with boot heaters, changing areas and the best hot chocolate around. You would take a golf cart or walk about 100 yards across the entrance to a small gondola that dropped you off in the Canyons lift line area. It was all fairly easy and well managed.

We did not use the Spa or the Exercise Facility but I suspect they are also well equipped.

They main drawback is the maturity of the Canyons area in general. There was still a lot of construction and you did not get that "on the mountain" feel on being deep into the Aspens and Spruces like you do in Dear Valley or the old town feel of Park City. But if you want to be close to the Canyons then it is the place to go.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the mountain and requesting a preview is smart as the room layouts seemed to h...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I am a Utah resident, and I book stays here cause I love it so much. Its absolutely the best hotel in Utah. Do not let ANY negative reviews steer you away from this beautiful, secluded property. This is my 4th stay, and I can promise not my last. You pull up and are promptly greeted by valet. You are instantly blown away by the giant chandelier in both the covered valet, and the welcome area. You instantly smell the most AMAZING smell I have ever smelled and that consistently remained in the building. Side note: please put whatever this scent is in a bottle to sell in the gift shop. And then, the experience begins...Waldorf style. I am a 4+ star hotel snob, and the Waldorf has hands down the best staff. I am always instantly welcomed and made to feel at home. They take care of every possible request. Even the minor things that I would normally do. This particular visit, Carolyn welcomed me (by name mind you) and noted we were celebrating graduation. Later that evening she sent up dessert, and a hand written note telling us congrats....this was after we got our phone call asking personally if she could do anything for us in the room and if it met expectations. Management if you are reading: all your staff is amazing, but Carolyn is what all of your employees should mirror. She seriously went above and beyond to make our stay, you can be sure I will be back and work with her. The rooms are simply fantastic, warm, welcoming, and perfect for the mountain backdrop. I am surprised the folks who have said "its cold and dark"...not the case. Fireplaces, can lighting lamps, under cabinet lighting...is a perfect fit for the mountain setting. The Viking Appliances are simply fantastic, you feel like a million bucks just standing in the kitchen. The pool and hot tub were perfect (even given the fact it had snowed). Honestly my ONLY negative mark this trip was the Valet parking was a tad slow, however the hotel was at occupancy and if you are expecting lighting quick pull arounds on a holiday weekend you are simply un-reasonable. Honestly, love this property. Want my personal home to embody this place! Keep up the great work! And thanks Carolyn for all your help!

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on floor 5. Its perfect view, and no stairs or elevators to wait for as its...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Waldorf Astoria Park City? Share your experiences!