“Very Nice - But” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Park City

You added Waldorf Astoria Park City to your Saves list
Waldorf Astoria Park City
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   2100 Frostwood Drive, Park City, UT 84098 (Formerly Dakota Mountain Lodge & Golden Door Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Ski Lift Package
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Park City
ky
“Very Nice - But”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We were just in Park City at the Waldorf on the 14th of July. We stayed and it was a good experience for us but not great. The check in was smooth and professional, bottled water was brought to us upon our arrival while we were checking in. After a long hot drive from Moab Utah (about 5 hours in a convertible) in pretty extreme summer heat, it was welcome. We were in a suite which was an excellent choice. It had all Viking appliances including a full blown kitchen with EVERYTHING imaginable from top of the line blenders to high end cutlery, gas stove, range etc. Washer and dryer too. The bellman was the best and most professional I have ever had the pleasure of. He showed us how everything in the place worked from icemaker to fireplaces, TV's etc. Showed us the pool area, ice machine, told us about dining options and almost performed like a concierge. Simply oustanding. We decided to stay at the Waldorf at the last minute. We had been on a week long tour of Utah and had been all over the state touring the state parks. UTAH IS AWESOME. What an under rated vacation destination. It is much more that just skiing.
We were ending our tour and we were to be flying out of Salt Lake City the next day. We were about out of clean clothes by the end of the week and were down to totally casual attire. No long pants or even business casual. Just shorts and the like. We were traveling pretty light as we were moving every day or two. We had been staying at hotels near the state parks mostly. However after a week of going at it 12 - 15 hours a day sightseeing, we decided on a little R and R and pampering. I wanted to go down to the restaurant for dinner. We really didn't bring clothes for a 5 star restaurnat as we didn't know we'd be near any. From what I had seen in the travel guides everything was pretty basic out in the boonies where the state parks were. I assumed there was a dress code at the Waldorf Restaurant so I called and asked what the appropriate attire would be to dine with them in the restaurant vs having room service? I was pleasantly surprised that casual wear was fine! They said the proper attire was mountain casual. We went down stairs and decided to sit on the deck and have a couple of bloody marys before dinner. The outdoor dining and area for cocktails overlook the pool from just a few feet away. The pool was outrageously loud with SCREAMING kids like I was at the public pool somewhere. I really don't like paying $250.00 for dinner and drinks while being serenaded by screaming kids. We opted to dine inside for this reason. Othewise, I would have dined outside. We had a great waiter. I had seen lobster on the menu for in room dining just in case we could not get in the restaurant. I was all set for lobster. I went to order the tasty crustacean and was informed that was a menu item available in winter only. I thought that was a bit late to be having it on the menu if it was a winter only item since it was mid JULY? I disappointedly but open mindedly decided on my second choice of the New York strip. (Mahi Mahi was the featured item on the menu that night.) Our waiter gave a good description of it. However I over heard another waiter describing it to a patron from England as a meaty fish much like sword fish. (Since I had about 100 pounds of Mahi Mahi filets in my freezer that I caught in May in the Florida Keys, I knew that to be a very poor description. Mahi Mahi is nothing like swordfish. We ordered an appetizer of Diver Sea Scallops that were delicious. Two scallops about the size of a half dollar appeared brought with 3 spears of asparagus and a tasty buttery rich flavored sauce. We also ordered a caesar salad. The appetizer and salads were great although the appetizer was quite small. For 18 dollars 2 scallops was a little ridiculous. It was good though I will give them that. However, the New York strip was mediocre. For a steak priced like I was at Ruby's or Mortons, it should have been better. It was thin, about 1/2 inch I would say. It was, ordered medium rare, it was more on the medium well side, quite (over cooked) and to be honest it was gristly and had all the fat on the outside edge. No marbling at all. Definitely a select or choice cut. Not prime. The service was 5 star but not the steak. We went back to the room and crashed. We were not going to leave the next day from Salt Lake City. About 10 a.m. Orbitz called and said I flight was delayed. My wife called about 10:30 and asked about a late check out. She was told 11:30 was check out time and that our suite was already rreserved by another party for the day. They were apologetic about it and totally professional. We totally understood except that two places in the room it was noted check out was 12 PM and check in was 4 p.m. The in room guest services book and the poster with the property layout on the back of the door both stated that it was 12 noon. I called down to see if I could arrange for a couple of more hours and was told that check out was 11 a.m. So in just 2 minutes we were given two different check out times, neither of which matched what was provided in the room. I told them there were two places in the room posted as 12 p.m. check out and that would be when I would be checking out. They said OK that was fine and that the policy had changed back in the winter. We checked out with out any problem and were again given bottled water to take with us. Valet was excellent and everything about the stay was excellent except the two things noted. They apologized for having the outdated information in the room and that was it. No big deal but enough to keep me from giving them a 5 star rating. Compared to the Ritz, the Conrad, Fairmont, Four Seasons, it was just a step down. That was my first stay at a Waldorf and it was not up to par with the other 5 star establihsments I have stayed in. All in all it was a good stay and I would do it again. Oops, I forgot about the 25 dollar resort fee for the pool, and internet? Really? You charge that kind of price for a suite and I have to pay for internet and pool and I didn't even use the pool for the screaming kids. However if you are charging me for it I shouldn't have to listen to screaming kids. Not a bad stay but in the art of running a 5 star establishment, the little things are what separates the 4 and 5 star establishments. Genius is in the details. The Waldorf in Park City has just a bit of work to do to reach 5 star status.

Room Tip: Get a suite.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

The property is beautiful and the staff at the hotel were wonderful. The hotel is a few miles from downtown Park City, but the hotel has friendly drivers that will drive you into town and pick you up after dinner/ shopping. The Canyons area is beautiful with great views of the ski area and the valley. They also have a nice restaurant and bar, again, with a friendly, helpful staff.

The Golden Door Spa, however, should be an embarrassment to this property. Staff was neither friendly or very helpful. The gentleman, more like young kid, that checked me in looked like he wanted to be anywhere else bu there and the girl that checked me out never once smiled or asked how the massage was. In all, I spent almost $200 for a 50 minute massage. The massage was ok, but I have had much better for less then $50.

The morning after my treatment, they said I would have to pay an additional $30 for the use of the steam room, even though I was a guest at the hotel. After a $200 massage and a room that was not exactly the cheapest in town, $30 for a steam was ridiculous.

So stay at the hotel but avoid the spa and you'll have a great experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This was a great property. We were using our Hilton Points and were upgraded to an apartment. The hotel is very clean and spacious. However, it is about a 10 minute drive to Downtown Park City.

St.Augustine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed in Park City our last night before leaving the Utah/Wyoming area. We spent most of our time in Jackson Hole. This was our first visit to Park City and the Waldorf and we will definitely be back.
The staff were very accommodating even though they had a large convention in the hotel at the time of our arrival. Our room was gorgeous with large flat screen tv, fireplace, balcony, robes, slippers, jacuzzi tub, wet bar, frig and delicious king size bed.

We had lunch in the restaurant and it was delicious also. We did not dine at the hotel for dinner but I am sure it would have been equally enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
Durham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed in a suite, which actually was an apartment with a kitchen, washer and dryer, living room, dining room, king bedroom and bath with whirlpool and shower, 3 tv's and a patio overlooking a central courtyard beautifuly landscaped. Very reasonably priced considering the quality and amenities we had available to us. Staff was very gracious and helpful. We were not there for ski season, but would basically be ski out and in to mountain! It was still mud season, so we did not take advantage of nearby hiking and mountainbiking. Absolutely deluxe!!

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

My husband and I decided on Park City after ruling out Hawaii and Rome. I'm sure you're asking who would go to Utah over Hawaii and Rome, well it was us. The beauty of this time of season is it's the inbetween, not quite the hot of summer but not quite the cold of winter; however, Utah had extreme weather during our stay so the night before arriving it snowed. I still cannot complain on our trip here ... so on with the hotel review.

Due to my husbands Hilton status we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite w/ a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 2 fire places, a pull out sleeper sofa, and an amazing terrace (about 120 sq feet). We asked for the best view and were given a courtyard view. Do not think you want a mountain view as there is construction going on and we both agree the best view is the location of our room. We not only got the views of the pool and amazing fire pit but also the backside of the mountains with the ski lift. During ski season this would be the ideal location!!! It's the best of both worlds.

KITCHEN: The room is nicely kept with modern decore, dark wood accents w/ stainless steel fixtures, the kitchen is stocked with Viking appliances except the microwave which is a Whirlpool. You are given all the necessaties in the kitchen to cook a full meal (I made homemade spaghetti our first night here). A toaster and coffee maker complete your needs in the kitchen. You are also provided sugars and creamer along with coffee, teas, and hot chocolate so there is something for everybody.

BATHROOMS: The bathrooms are nice sized. The master has a full size shower with a seat (for those needing to sit down and relax), and a full size jacuzzi tub. As with any Waldorf your bathroom is fully stocked with amazing goodies such as a hair dryer, makeup remover sheets, and top of the line shampoo, conditioner, body gel, bath salts, lotion and mouthwash. If you left something behind the front desk can provide you with the necessaties such as razor, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc. The spare bathroom is my favorite, although it did not have a jacuzzi tub, just a stand up shower there is more room if you're 'girlie' like me. There is a nice sized cabinet which would allow me to hide all my goodies (makeup, hairspray, etc).

ROOMS: The master bedroom is nice sized with a king bed, down pillows and comforter, a fireplace (this is for ambiance and does not put out heat), two night stands, a dresser with 3 full drawers and 2 half drawers, and a full size bar area (sink, mini fridge, storage space if needed). The closet is of good size and if you ran out there is a 2nd closet in the living room and also the coat closet at the entrance. You are provided a safe and a ironing board with a pretty snazzy iron (I hate to iron but this one made the job a little easier). The only thing we did not like about our bed is for us we did not feel it was as comfortable as other hotels we stayed at. Do not let this be a deciding factor, it could have just been us. We struggled keeping the room as a good temp, so we opted to keep our windows open at night to allow fresh air in the room and this seemed to help a little. Also the neighbors above us were very HEAVY FOOTED.

PATIO/TERRACE: The balcony/terrace is amazing, cozy but there is a little room for improvement. Since we feel this resort has two seasons Winter and Summer, we felt with the size of the terrace there should have been a large lounge chair so those in the summer could enjoy a relaxing evening outside. The furniture provided is nothing more than a square table w/ a glass top and two chairs (not overly comfortable but not umbearable). We opted to use the patio chairs as a foot rest and took the dining room chairs made of leather to sit on (weather permitting of course!!!!). As previously mentioned the terrace provided amazing views of the courtyard and the mountains. We were in room 5163. There was one floor below us and one above us. The first 2 floors are for underground parking, so if you're given a room starting with a 4 then you're ground level, rooms with 5's are in the middle with nice views. And in the elevator there is only a floor 6 so we believe the 6th floor rooms are actually 2 story (we have not confirmed this!!!).

LOCATION: We flew into Salt Lake City and the hotel is about 30 - 45 minute drive. There is a CostCo in Salt Lake City not far from the airport if you want to pick up some goodies for your room, if not wait till you get to Park City. When you come into town there is a Wal-Mart on the right and a Smiths grocery on the left. There is also a Tanger Outlet mall if you forgot some clothing and need to pick up anything. There is also a state store which sells wine and spirits (Utah does not sell alcohol on Sundays nor do the stores offer any wines). Once you're at the hotel you can unload and then drive to downtown Park City and the Historic District. There are a lot of fun quaint shops, lots of art galeries and a few 'toursist' shops. This is also where most of the restaurants are so be sure to check out my reviews on the restaurants we dined at such as Easy Street, Loco Lizard, Butchers, Nicks Greek Cafe, Spruce, and a few others.

SERVICE: I'll start with the good as it outweighs the bad ... Christie Bambery the Lead Concierge was amazing. She was amazing and even recommended my husband go to Massage Envy for a theraputic massage vs recommending the spa. It was nice to see a concierge not force fee the local area spa. While we are sure the ammenaties at the spa are luxurious it's just not what my husband was needing! :)
There is a $25 a day resort fee, this is pretty standard when staying at a hotel like this and if you rent a car they will valet your car daily. There is no option to park it yourself so be prepared to tip every time you come and go. We saw a few not tipping, so while we have a few days left we are trying to decide how often and when it's appropriate to tip. If we come and go 3 times a day at $2 - $5 each trip that starts to really add up. They do have a shuttle service that will take you downtown and to local area stores, shops; however, depending on the time of season you'll want to check the frequency of when/where they will take you (again we came in the off season).
Turndown service is awesome. The gentleman comes and spends about 15 minutes in the room (I watched him enter and leave a room from across us). He provides two small bottles of water, 2 chcolates on your pillow with a weather guide for the next day, the two his and hers robes are nicely laid on your bed holding each other (see photo), and slippers are laid out on a crisp white towel. They turn the music on and I believe the fireplace was even turned on in our room on the 1st night. If you want extra ice or coffee or teas and you are in the room they will provide you with that as well.
Housekeeping, this is where I get a little sour. The first day our service was amazing; but, everyday there after service started to decline. I didn't tip the 1st day and decided because they did such a grand job I'd leave a few bucks on the bed with a thank you note in Spanish .... well the service continued to decline. Last night was our 4th night here and our coffee maker was not cleaned out, the hand town in the kitchen was thrown under the sink (not even folded), there were crumbs on the counter from our bagles (I didn't have time to wipe them up before leaving), and the trash in the master bedroom had not been emptied. I finally resorted to contacting the front desk. Usually when staying at a resort of this stature cleaning a coffee pot, folding of a dish towel is standard protocol. I am a neat freak so I straighten the bed before leaving, all my dishes are loaded in the dishwasher, not left in the sink for them to care to, and all my dirty towels are neatly folded in a pile for them to easily carry out of the room. I could see if i was a slob and had towels all over, comforter thrown on the floor, dishes in and around the sink but that's not the case. Today we will see just how good they do.

Well, there you have it in a long nutshell. More reviews on our excursions and restaurants will follow ... hope this helps you pick the prime location for your future vacations!

Room Tip: Odd # rooms face the courtyard best views!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

What an amazing trip of a lifetime! The Waldorf Astoria was just what we were looking for. Intimate setting, great staff, warm accommodations with all the amenities you would expect. Beautiful kitchen with Viking appliances and all the details covered...shopping options within 5 minutes away. Complimentary Shuttle with a large Mercedes ppl mover, 2 Mercedes SUV's and a Suburban. Cozy Lobby with fireplace! The best concierge ever with Christine. Okay so we were in Park City in May and Christine was so gracious in getting us in touch with Daniel's Summit to snowmobile. I know May, right! We had the entire Forest Preserve to ourselves and the snow was still flawless. The day before we went skiiing at Snowbird...I know May, right! The best skiing we have ever experienced and we have skied all over Canada and the U.S. We will make this an annual and next year we plan to be back and experience The Canyons which looks amazing! Take it easy!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Waldorf Astoria Park City? Share your experiences!