“great skiing vacation, hotel staff need training” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4000 The Canyons Resort Dr, Park City, UT 84098   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Hollywood, Florida
“great skiing vacation, hotel staff need training”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

The facility is wonderful, the skiing is great.

The person answering the switchboard on one occasion said the temperature on the mountain was 48 degrees when it was 30. Not good.

We almost lost our flight out as they did not follow up on our wake up call request.

In summary, things don't work well at that level. Otherwise, a great place to stay at.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Smithfield, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

We live in Utah and were looking for a quick Thanksgiving getaway. Our objective was a nice place with good pool/spa facilities. Before making reservation on Expedia, I called the property to ask which of the two or three hotels in the complex had the nicest pool/spa. The person told me "they're both equally nice," so I booked the more expensive of the two, thinking we'd get nice rooms.

On check-in, we learned that the pool was under construction but we were welcome to use the facilities at the other hotel (10 minute walk in subzero temperatures). Went up to our rooms and neither was as described: the "queen" was just a double, and the one that was supposed to have a futon had none. Back to the lobby to change both rooms.

Compared to other places I've stayed at in the same resort complex, the rooms were significantly less desirable. Utilitarian rather than luxurious. Seriously, like a Best Western but with granite countertops. Public areas are nice but not impressive.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
BELLINGHAM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I cannot begin to tell you how nice the people are at this location, everyone was kind and freindly. They would actually greet you with a hello and wish you a good day. The hotel is first rate and beautiful. we lacked nothing. my only regret is that it was not ski season yet the mountain looks awesome. I will be heading back when the snow falls.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Layton, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

We won a package from a televison station contest which included a night in a one bedroom suite, dinner for two and a spa treatment. It is an expensive (for us) hotel but if you have the money it is a very nice, clean hotel. Our room had two bathrooms, two fireplaces, two TVs w/DVD players, all equipped kitchen, jetted tub, balcony, dining area, living room and king sized bed. The bed was very comfortable and I slept like a log. Aaron and Gorden from The Cabins restaurant were fabulous. Very friendly and food savvy. Lizzi at the spa was also very helpful. The valets are very efficient and the front desk people were very friendly. The room was clean and I loved how lush the towels were. We will definitely keep this on our list for future stays.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Alpine, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

My husband and I planned a weekend getaway for our birthdays and decided to stay at the Grand Summit Resort in Park City. My husband booked our reservations through Expedia and requested the room to be a deluxe suite and paid extra for more amenities. When we arrived to the hotel and checked in, we were given keys to our room. Approaching our room we realized that there was a dirty coffee cup filled with various pieces of garbage sitting right in front of our door. My husband said, “That must be the gift basket that I ordered for us.” We laughed and continued into our room…immediately, my husband stated that the room was not the same as the one he reserved and paid for. He explained that the room was smaller, there was no fireplace, no separate tub/shower, the tub was not a jetted tub, nor was the mattress or explanation of the bedding the same. These were all amenities that he thought that he had upgraded and paid extra for.
We went down to the lobby and spoke to a female employee who was helpful …at first. She gave us another room which had a fireplace, and jetted tub. When my husband was going to park our car…I asked the employee if my husband had reserved or ordered a basket as he had done in years past. She explained that she wasn’t sure and wasn’t able to see because the reservation was made through Expedia. I told her that I was pretty sure that he had and asked her what kind of things that they had available for special occasions. She explained some of the choices and that she would look into whether or not we had requested one\;lt. I had even mentioned that if my husband hadn’t reserved anything… I would pay for a basket of goodies to help us celebrate our birthdays!
As I was waiting for my husband to return, I stayed within the lobby and towards the front windows. I had not realized at the time that I was not able to be seen by the Grand Summit front desk employees. I then heard the female employee explaining to one of her co-workers what I was asking for. Her co-worker (whom we shall call…Chaz) started to explain how my husband and I were liars and that we just wanted to get something for free. Chaz continued to express and bellow out his opinions while he remained behind the front desk…in front of other guests…and for everyone within the lobby to hear. I was unable to hear anything really from the female employee who was (I thought) being helpful. I decided to make my presence known and walked around the pillar so that both employees could see me. I walked back up to the front desk and told Chaz that neither I nor my husband was lying about anything and that he should not be making accusations without having the knowledge of the situation! I then asked him to look up our reservation, and he actually snapped back, “I already am!” I could not believe his attitude and the way that he behaved over a $15-$20 basket. I thought to myself that my husband and I were going to leave immediately and find another hotel. Frustratingly, I said, “Just forget it…don’t even worry about the stupid gift basket!” He returned with a sarcastic remark, “Ok, sounds good!” I was in complete shock at how this employee called my husband and I liars, his tone that he spoke to me, and his unprofessionalism.
My husband finally came back up to the lobby and I explained how disrespectful Chaz had been and the statements that were made. He was in agreement with me by wanting to leave but our reservation was non-refundable. My husband had to remind me that we were already late arriving to Park City and it may be difficult to find another room. I told him to forget it and I would just make the best of our celebration.
The next morning while checking out; I asked the same female employee that had checked us in the day before, if I could speak to her manager. Out came a manager, after explaining to him our experience with one of his employees, he said that he would ‘talk’ to Chaz. He also said that he would talk to the kitchen about holding the charges for our room service (breakfast). My concern was/is not to receive anything for free. I even offered to pay for our room service fees. My concern is the unprofessional manner in which one of the employees treated and spoke to a guest that was staying and paying for a 4-5 star hotel! I am completely appalled and disgusted by the experience and will not be returning to The Canyons… if you want great service, an awesome room, or affordable food…I recommend that you not stay at the Grand Summit Resort. There are other places in Park city that are within the same price range, same view, provide excellent service, and their rooms are truly 4-5 stars!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We had a two bedroom, 3 bath suite at Grand Summit and had a very good stay. We were able to cook in the well appointed kitchen and had lots of room for dining and entertaining. The pool was warm and wonderful during the day and also at night. There was a terrific outdoor free concert with a beer garden and loads of very good Park City restaurant food vendors Saturday night. My only complaint was $16/night for parking (we choose to park in a free lot down a steep hill and a 5 minute walk away).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Panhandle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

The Grand summitt lodge is really a nice place. I had a studio room which had a great view of the pool and the mountains beyond. I did not have a car and it is a fair distance to any reasonably priced food or groceries. The hotel van only goes about a mile to the highway and you must catcha bus from there. At one point we were caught with a short time for lunch and no transportation. In the summer the main restaurant does not open until dinner. There was a private party in the other alternative and the coffee shop only had a couple of fruit cups and 1 sandwich on hand. We were fairly annoyed when 'Steve' came to our rescue. He gave us gondola tickets to the top of the mountain, called ahead and had a table ready for us. We had a wonderful meal in the outdoors on top of a mountain and made it back to our meeting. I would highly recommend this place for a summer get away from the heat, traffic and touristy locations.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!