“Just average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 58 Hotels in Park City
Windsor, CO
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed here for four days. We were here for our grandsons hockey tournament. The rooms okay. Service was below average. Lots of things need to be updated. Had a lot of issues with our room cards not working. Cleaning the rooms below average. The location is good but I would stay at a different location. Disappointed for the money we spent.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Weekend here.... Can't get closer to the slopes. Great friendly staff. Very helpful even in unwinding some mistakes i had made with our reservations. Breakfast buffet was very nice, extensive and well done. Pool and hot tubs also a treat. Ski storage right by the door to the lift. The rooms? Comfy, but really, very very small. Bed was comfy, bathroom well done. Room just small, not really even a chair to sit in. There was a desk, but unusable due to the coffee service on it. So, if the room is solely for sleeping, but if relaxing is needed too, look around.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed for three nights in one of the hotel's double queen rooms. The room was immaculate and the beds sooooo comfortable. I slept so well. Besides the rooms, I was overall very impressed by the hospitality and service of the front desk staff, valet and restaurant servers. We were not able to check in when we arrived (got in around 11am), but the front desk staff told us a little about the resort and offered to have the valet bring in our luggage for storage and showed us where we could store our skis. He even wrote down my cell number so he could call us as soon as the room was available. Everyone served with a smile and seems genuinely happy to be working at Canyons.

The resort is also ski-in, ski-out with the Orange bubble, a heated chair lift, right out the back door! I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay while in Park City.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have stayed here twice in the past 2 years. Each time it has met my expectations.

Pro's-
Ski in and out- "the closest resort at the Canyons to the mountain"
all rooms have the same decor
nice pool and 3 outdoor hot tubs
room service
restaurant on site
valet parking or self parking
ski storage
30 minutes from SLC airport
now owned by Vail and season lift ticket interchangeable

Con's-
maid service should be more consistent

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for a 3 day ski trip. Overall good experience. We did experience some difficulties checking in, reservations weren't showing up, checking out hotel billing was a mess! Good for families, rooms a bit dated. Truly slopside lodging.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GSHotelManager, General Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Grand Summit Hotel at Canyons Resort. We are very happy to read that you had a good experience, and that you enjoyed the location to the some of the best snow on earth. It sounds however like you had some difficulties on the reservation/billing side. We appreciate this type of feedback as it allows us to see where we need to focus our energy. In reference to the rooms needing updates, we are happy to share that we are in the process of a refurbishment. At this point some items have been replaced, such as our mattresses and bedding. However bigger changes are coming our way and we sure hope you can come next year to see our progress.

Thank you for staying with us this winter, hope to see you again!

Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

First, this hotel is in an unbeatable location, truly ski in, ski out. Facilities are clean and adequate. Service is an issue, housekeeping failed to come one day. Room service lost our order. Most of the time I would let this pass. However, for a property that holds them out as 4 stars , it was maddening. At least the prices were reasonable for what you got. This place has a lot of potential. Hopefully the new management, Vail Resorts, will do a little housecleaning of their own and improve the service management.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for pointing out the great things about the Grand Summit Hotel, as well as the things that were not up to par during your stay. We agree, this place does have a lot of potential! We truly love the location of the hotel as it makes it so easy for people to gather their equipment and hit the slopes. We are also happy to read that you felt the place was clean and that you felt value in the money you spent for your vacation. We are so sorry that we failed you one day in housekeeping, and that our Room Service department lost your order. This is not acceptable, and certainly not what we would ever expect a guest to encounter. Thank you for letting us know this occurred. It is true that we are in the transition stage of moving to the Vail Resorts family, and we are so delighted to have their support behind us. Many great things will come from this new management company and we hope that next time you come to stay you will see that we are always committed to providing experiences of a lifetime.

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I don't usually take the time to write reviews but I am angry about this and don't want anyone else to have the same degrading experience we did. We came as a family to husbands recent conference here Feb. 26th through March 2nd. 2014. We booked our room months in advance and asked for a two bedroom having 3 of our 4 children along for the trip. We were told the two bedrooms were on hold and we could not book them. We told them we had 5 in our party and really needed a 2 bedroom, we have 3 adult sized children tall, 12, 15 and 20 with us. They assured us a one bedroom would accommodate us. I carefully asked about the beds, and they said there were two twin sized daybeds and a pull out sofa. I asked several times if these were really regular twin size day beds and was assured they were and would work for a adult sized person. I told them my son could sleep on the pull out sofa but 2 adult sized people can never sleep on those uncomfortable beds. They reassured us several times about the beds. I also asked for a room on a higher floor with a mountain view supposedly that request was noted. I called back several weeks later to check and verify our room and was reassured again. My husband even called back several weeks before the conference and asked about rooms and was again reassured that the beds would be fine. He requested a roll-away at that time just in case.
We arrived at about 10:30-10:45pm. We check -in and receive a room on the second floor. I ask about my request for a higher floor and a view but was told there were no other rooms available. During this time another gentleman checks in and requests a room with a view on a higher floor and that request was granted immediately. When I ask about this, I was told he has a different room type and basically that it was none of my business by another arrogant and rude clerk. We then went to see our room and the 2 twin daybeds are basically 2 window seats with cushions. Only a very small child age 4-6 years old could ever sleep on these! The Pull out was standard size and we did have a roll-away in the room but short one twin bed.
We headed back down to the clerk who said he was the evening/night manager named Nick. We argued for the next 21/2 hours about what we had been told about beds and the room. He went back in the back room several times to talk with someone leaving us standing at the counter and would come out saying sorry nothing else could be done. At one point offering another rollaway free of charge for our stay!!! Finally, at about 1:15am, I guess he realized we were not going away, he found another 1 bedroom with an a joining room on the first floor way back in a corner.
This was a terrible way to start a vacation. This supposedly is a 4 star resort!!! Not cheap by any means! But, I felt it was worse than staying at a Holiday Inn Express! At least when I book there I am guaranteed the type and number of beds in my room! When you pay this much to stay at a 4 star resort you should not be manipulated by the hotel for their agenda!
This was by no means a mistake, we were deliberately mislead to fill the rooms the hotel wanted to fill. It was not just one reservation specialist who mislead us, it was several, it is clearly how they do business. I tried to make the accommodations my family required not wanting something for nothing but it was impossible. Why would I ever come somewhere to fight for the type of accommodations I was told I would have? Why would I pay thousands of dollars to have my family sleep on two rollaways and a pull out coach bed having to pay extra for the rollaway??/
Second, I went to the spa. Services were average nothing great but expensive typical resort spa. But, I bought several articles of clothing, one item a skirt had a snag on it so I returned it. I was suppose to be reimbursed on my credit card for this $50 skirt but the first charge remains with no credit. I threw out my receipts trusting it would be done but it was not.
As far as the skiing goes again I would never come to the Canyons now for many reasons. The mountain is an advanced to expert mountain with mostly black or double black runs. There are some blue runs or double blues but only 2 very short green runs for beginners or kids. This is not a family friendly mountain! It is very difficult to get to the different runs on different mountain peaks so my family stayed mostly on the same runs the 3 days we skied. Just not worth it period! We rented skis at Canyon sports by the Red Pine Gondala. One of the staff members I don't remember her name was very rude. I wanted to have my daughter try on a bigger sized boot to compare to the recommended size because it hurt and the staff member became very offended. I ended up in an argument with her to allow my child to try on a different sized boot!!! It was ridiculous!!! We take a ski trip every year and have been to wonderful places like Beaver Creek, Vail and Breckinridge in Colorado and even Park City. There are so many wonderful places to choose from I will never go to the Canyons again to be treated so poorly! We complained to the conference directors while there and will f/u with an email to them.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your day to submit such a detailed review of your stay at the Grand Summit Hotel. While we always strive to receive positive feedback, we also need to hear what is not working so we can continually improve all aspects of our customer service.
It is true that we cannot guarantee the exact room configuration to our guests. While we can guarantee a room type, such as a 1 bedroom, we cannot promise the exact configuration within the 1 bedroom due to the unique shape of the building itself. However beyond this policy we have of not guaranteeing room specifics, I can see how frustrating this must have been for you; especially because you called multiple times and even explained that you had adult children traveling with you. I would have been just as frustrated and know that this whole experience has been shared with all those that came into contact with your reservation. I assure you this is not a manipulation by the hotel for our own agenda, as our ultimate goal is to ensure guest satisfaction. Without our guests, we do not succeed.
I am also concerned that you state you returned a skirt and have yet to see a credit. I would love to have your personal information if you so choose to share, so that I might follow up with your refund that is owed to you.
I recognize that you felt frustrations in other areas of the resort during your stay. I assure you that your feedback will be shared with the appropriate department heads.
I speak on behalf of all when I say we hope you come back again so we can show you what we are all about; we want you to leave with amazing family memories and an anxiousness to return!
We have been excited to welcome home the Spine Summit for many years now, and we certainly hope to do so again next year. I would also personally love to lend whatever support I can to you should you decide to return, to help with whatever requests that you have.

Mary Sorensen

Been to Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!