“Nice hotel, could do just a wee bit more” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4000 The Canyons Resort Dr, Park City, UT 84098   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 58 Hotels in Park City
North Salt Lake, Utah
“Nice hotel, could do just a wee bit more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Grand Summit Resort Hotel is a nice hotel with well-appointed rooms, comfortable beds, and nice views. The staff is friendly and helpful, even offering a late checkout, and rooms are very comfortable, although a sitting chair would have been more comfortable than the single desk chair provided. The amenities are nice and our room had a nice large jetted tub. The location is fantastic and our room looked out over the slopes, which are a colorful mosaic in fall.

I do have just a few comments (complaints). The room had no glasses so we had to drink our water from the coffee cups. There is no way to order a drink to enjoy on the lovely porch. Utah liquor laws don't allow a drink to be taken from the bar to the room, so if you want to enjoy an evening drink on the romantic porch, bring your own. The fireplace didn't work (evidently it was too early in the fall to have it lit, but it was very cool and would have been quite nice).

These annoyances weren't enough to keep me away in the future. Stay here with confidence.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for review of the Grand Summit Hotel. I am so pleased that you found our staff to be "friendly and helpful" and that they were able to offer you a late check out per your request. We take great pride in our talented and dedicated employees and I am very happy they met your expectations. It was also great to hear that your room was "comfortable" and that you enjoyed our spectacular fall colors while you were here.

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding some of the items in your room and I assure you that your concerns will be addressed. We always strive to meet our guests' requests and there should be no reason we could not meet yours. This type of feedback only helps us improve our business and I will be sharing it with our departmental managers.

I do hope you find your way back to Canyons soon, perhaps during the winter season to enjoy the Resort and our full scope of offerings. Thank you again for this review and we look forward to your return visit!

Canyons Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Staying here at present, room doesn't have a desk, but other facilities like the bathroom or sometimes the kitchens in rooms outweigh this required.comfortable beds, attentive staff, nice gym and spa treatment available...how many pillows!, no need for the 10, found my bed under there somewhere...great location for skiing the canyons resort in winter, no snow at present mind you. Evening wise is quiet, so shuttles to main street are good here. Internet, I agree is slow, telephone network is also patchy.Still, a lovely ski setting, very classy, staying here in the winter would be $$$,as opposed $ now..been here a few times generally for business and would return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for this candid review of the Grand Summit! I am very happy to hear that you are finding your room enjoyable with a "comfortable" bed, "nice gym and spa" and that our "attentive staff" has been able to meet your needs.

I must apologize that you experienced difficulties with our wifi service and telephones. If you are still on property, please reach out to me and I would be happy to provide any assistance I can to improve this experience for you. We do offer different settings of Internet access to help increase the bandwidth and I would be happy to assist in this matter.

I truly hope you choose to return to Canyons Resort and the Grand Summit Hotel this winter to enjoy our "lovely ski setting" and get some great powder turns in with all of us here in Park City. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at your convenience.

Salem, OR.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for 9 nights in a fantastic, two-story (time-share) suite with separate Master bedroom/bath, full kitchen, living room, loft with full queen & second bathroom, 3 flat screen TVs, DVD player and even a token balcony that overlooked the pool and had a great view of the ski slopes behind the resort. The room was clean and decorated tastefully. The couches, chairs, bed all very comfortable. The kitchen was stocked well enough with pots/pans/utencils to do some simple cooking. It didnt include coffee filters and there wasn't a wide variety of dishes. The large fridge, microwave and halogen stove all worked well. The staff were exceptional! The concierge and valet staff were very friendly and offered great advice about local dining spots and places to shop. Housekeeping staff were thorough and professional. Being there in August, we took advantage of using the ski slopes for some mountain biking. The Lift staff were also friendly (couple of them were Oregon transplants!) Was it expensive? Yeah, a bit. The restaurants on-site were all top-class and quite spendy! Thus, we spent most of our $$$ in town at the local spots (separate reviews). The city of Park City was quite high-browed, but we expected that. Most of the shopping, restaurant and hotel staff were quite pleasant, friendly, helpful and down-to-earth. Would we go back? I would. But, if you're from the "lowlands", give yourself a day or two to acclimate! The 7500 ft elevation change from home was a bit of a shocker!

Room Tip: If you can get a line on a time-share, do it. Having breakfast in the room and a fridge for perisha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for this incredible review of the Grand Summit Hotel! I don't know what more to say than "WOW" and I am so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time at our Resort. Summer in Park City is a wonderful time and the mountain biking here is great!

Most importantly I am so pleased to hear that you found our staff to be "exceptional" - from valet to housekeeping to our lift operators! We take great pride in our talented team of employees and it is great to hear that they contributed to your amazing experience.

Once again, thank you so much for this great review and we are all so excited that you enjoyed your trip to Park City. I truly hope you come visit us during the winter season to enjoy the Resort and all of its offerings, and at the very least, that you come back and see us again next summer for another great adventure. I appreciate the feedback you have provided us and we all look forward to your next visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very nice property with friendly staff and great mountainside location. Nestled on the mountainside with other equally compelling properties, Grand Summit is a great choice for a relaxed get away.Was there in September and admittedly not during a busy period, but the staff was great, food excellent, and the venue was of course outstanding. An easy trip into Park City to explore that delightful town and the 5 star restaurants that, at least on a per capita basis, are very plentiful. Chair ride to the mid-mountain lodge was a treat and the views breathtaking. All in all, a good choice....

Room Tip: Go for the suites...a little more room, not that much more in price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for great review of the Grand Summit Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property and found it to be a great fit for your "relaxed get away."

To hear that "that staff was great, food excellent, and the venue was of course outstanding" truly makes me smile as we take great pride in our amazing employees and of course our property. We strive to create a home away from home for all our guests and I am so happy that you found this at Canyons.

I look forward to your return visit, hopefully during our winter season to experience the full scope of our offerings. Once again, all my thanks for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here over the memorial day weekend and expected higher quality from the Canyons.
We were "welcomed" with an unfriendly, uncaring, unknowing staff. Our room wasn't ready (30 minutes early). The front desk staff didn't know anything about the free concerts there, the new activities (paddle boating, disk golf, or mini putting range). Upon entering the room, the balcony was way bigger than the room itself, there was no table to eat on, the bed was old. Later, the hot tubs and spa was completely packed with kids, no towels at all, people waiting in line to use them.
Disappointed, we went back to the room to go to bed and the sheets were brown and bally. Got new ones and had the same exact problem. For the price, we expect decently new sheets. We will never stay here again and will not recommend it to anyone. They really don't care.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your recent experience at the Grand Summit Hotel. Clearly what you endured is not what we strive for and is out of character for a Canyons vacation. I am so sorry you found our staff to be uncaring and unfriendly as we pride ourselves on our talented team of employees and the service they put forth to our guests.

This holiday weekend was indeed extremely busy for the Resort, however, that is when our team should shine and show everyone what an amazing place Canyons is. Feedback such as yours is extremely valuable to us and we will continue to strive to meet your requests and needs, as well as address these issues for others as they come to the resort.

I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with you regarding your visit and hope that you would grant us the chance to win you over with a true Canyons experience. If you would like to discuss your stay, please contact me at your convenience.

Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a ski resort, pure and simple. The bedrooms are small (in standard rooms) and have no desk, or even a place to sit other than a small table chair and the bed. Offsetting that, the foyer is large, tiled and flows into a large bath with shower and two person jacuzzi. Also present are coat hooks by the door in addition to the closet. There is a small balcony, room width and 3-4 feet deep. The design would work great with skiers returning with wet clothes, or in summer, hikers and bikers. Still, I'm not sure the room would work for two people or that there is enough space for bulky items.

This was a king bed with maybe 10 pillows, only two of which are intended for sleeping. They are down and offer no support, For this or perhaps the inability to get the room cool enough, I didn't sleep especially well. In fairness, that's normal for me in a new hotel, and I did cross 2 time zones, but this was worse than normal. Temps were chilly outside, but noise levels made leaving the balcony door open impractical.
If your travel is for business, it's best to stay somewhere else. The standard internet (free) is bog slow (speedtest.net measured 0.48mbs download, 0.50mbs upload) unfit for streaming, graphics or large attachments but okay for most email or casual browsing. Upgrade to premium service for $9.95 daily, and speeds increase to 2.50mbs up/1.25mbs down which is decent, though still marginal for streaming video. Again, no desk, but there is a tiny table, barely the size of a large laptop, which is workable, but not fun. Certainly, the distribution of plugs doesn't support all the things many business travelers would have. The signal strength for (Verizon) voice and data (any version) is marginal inside, but decent outside. As one of my colleagues observed, most people come here to disconnect anyway. The free in room coffee actually was pretty good.

And that they can do in fine style. Grand Summit is large with extensive recreational facilities, many outdoor options, instructional and equipment support as well as shops, restaurants and bars. Most of my food was provided by a business conference but still quite tasty. The staff is charming and worth of the vacation resort experience. There is a decent sized meeting facility, but it would not handle more than about 500 folks, less with break out sessions.

The hotel itself is part of a coordinated community roughly 4 miles from Park City itself. I'm not a personal fan of that approach, and this is no exception. There is no real character, and everything looks alike. Still, the chair lifts come right to the back patios, and the whole setting is optimized for ski season.

There is a spa, pool, and separate fitness center. The latter has cardio, free weights and weight machines. It's a little small for the size of the hotel, but most folks who come there are planning to get their exercise outdoors, so this isn't a big deal.

There is parking below the garage for $16/day whether self parked or valet. There is a free gravel lot, which is nice if you'd rather not spend the money. Views are typical (and great). access is easy, with I-80 a brief drive down a four lane road.

Room Tip: Good views all around. The rooms on the back face directly into the first hill, limiting privacy eve...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you very much for this review of the Grand Summit Hotel. You have touched on many points of our Resort and hotel that we are indeed very proud of such as the "charming" staff and the "tasty" banquet food options.

We do offer several room types that may better accommodate business travelers such as yourself and your feedback regarding the room is much appreciated. We value our conference business during the summer season greatly and we always do our best to provide a great experience to all our guests, summer or winter. This feedback will allow us to better anticipate the needs of visitors such as yourself.

Once again, I truly appreciate the kind words you have provided us and more importantly the feedback that will allow us to improve our property for all our travelers. I hope that you will join us sometime during the winter months to experience Canyons during peak season and I truly hope you find your way back during the summer so we can provide exactly the experience you expect and deserve.

Sandy, UT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for one night for a quick getaway. Room was pretty small, but would have been used as the bedroom had we elected for the one bedroom suite. It was nice and clean with a fireplace, balcony and a jetted tub. Hotel is nicely decorated. All the restaurants close early but we understood that this is not their prime season, so it was not a problem for us. Didn't get a chance to use the pool or hot tubs, but it looks like a beautiful pool. Overall nice place to stay in a beautiful area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of the Grand Summit Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your "quick getaway" with us here at Canyons. Our Housekeeping team does a fabulous job maintaining our rooms and I am happy that your room was "nice and clean" and you enjoyed the fireplace and jetted tub.

I would love to invite you back as we soon move into our winter season so you can experience the full offerings of Canyons Resort. The pool is indeed beautiful and open year round, we have an amazing selection of restaurants, and we would enjoy hosting you again for a longer, relaxing vacation.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit!

Canyons Resort

Been to Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!