“Top-notch experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 59 hotels in Park City
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Top-notch experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

After deciding to go to Park City for our summer family vacation, I did a lot of research on each of the resorts and decided on the Canyons as our base camp. I liked the location and activities offered. I then looked at several facilities, targeting the Grand Summit. I could not have been more pleased by my choice. The facility itself is beautiful and fairly easy to find your way around. The Summit is much easier on the pocketbook than the Waldorf, although the Waldorf is an incredible property. I liked the fact that our resort was right up against the mountain, within steps of gondolas, restaurants, bike rentals and free-concert stage. I found our unit on another vacation rental site and rented directly from an owner. I would highly recommend this as you will save tons of money and probably get a bigger unit. Our unit was two bed rooms and a great room, kitchen and three baths. It slept 8, but we had only four members so we were very comfortable. The units can also be rented as smaller units with the ability to close off your particular door. The hotel was relatively empty so there was no problems with waiting for anything. The pool is very well kept and heated. All the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping to waiters/waitresses were all friendly, helpful and upbeat. The Grand Summit is a fantastic location for winter vacations but expect to pay three times the amount during high-season times. There was a miss-communication about the mid-week cleaning that was not performed but the manager took off the charge with little muss or fuss. We did not use the work out facility but did check it out. There were free weights and several elliptic and treadmill machines. it was good but not great. We ate at the Red Pine for dinner the first night. It was what I would consider Southwestern fare and a bit pricey. We ordered mostly appetizers that were enough for dinner. The food was good but not great (3 out of 5). The cost for bike rental was steep; $50 for the day and if you want to take it up on the mountain, the gondola is $15 per person, per day. For these two reasons, I lowered the "value" score one notch.

Room Tip: Research vacation rental sites for units already owned and rent through them. We saved about 50% and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Grand Summit! I am so happy to hear that you "could not have been more pleased" by your decision and that you found our mountain side location to be perfect for your summer vacation. I am happy to hear that your unit was comfortable and well suited to your needs.

We take great pride in our culture of service here at Canyons and I am so pleased that "all the staff, from the front desk to houskeeeping to waiters/waitresses were all friendly, helpful, and upbeat." In an industry as competitive as ours we are very proud of our team of employees and staff who create great experiences for our guests day in and day out. It is fantastic they were able to do just that for you and your family.

Once again I am so pleased you enjoyed your time at Canyons and I encourage you to visit us again for your next vacation to experience all we have to offer any season of the year!

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We booked a 2-night stay for my sister's bachelorette weekend. Because we wanted it to be special, we opted for the higher-priced Grand Summit versus the Sun Dial Lodge. The two nights came to about $950 for a very nice, mountain-view 2-bedroom.

The good: Housekeeping was prompt, rooms were clean, the view was awesome. The gondola ride and hike were wonderful.

The could-be-better: Our room wasn't reading at 2:30, which was fine. Check-in is at 4:00. The front desk was to call me when our room was reading, which was not until 4:38. Not a lot, but really, when you're paying that much in the summer? They rushed us through at the front desk, not even giving us the daily schedule of events or telling us where the elevator is located (at the back of the lobby) in their rush to get to a bridal party behind us.

Another reason we booked here was because of a cool fitness schedule I found on-line. We wanted to do the mountainside yoga listed at 9:00 a.m. or the led trail run, which was earlier. When we called to reserve spots, we were told that NO classes are held anymore. Huh? This is NICE resort and they just completely dumped the entire schedule, though the web page still exists. Saturday morning, we went to have breakfast at the Red Pine, downstairs, and were refused, as it was 11:07 and breakfast is over at 11:00. I can understand the refusal during ski season, but the restaurant was about 1/4 full, and no other patrons were there for lunch. Breakfast orders were still being delivered. The menu is mexican, and who wants fish tacos at 11:00 a.m.? Again, this is the sort of little thing that you expect a higher-end place to accomodate a little on. We decided, after looking through materials AT THE RESTAURANT, that we would take the gondola up ($15 apiece) to eat on the mountain. The resort guide there at the Red Pine said there was a restaurant up there with "American Classics." When we got there, we were told that they no longer have table service there. It's cafeteria style only now, and fairly bare bones at that. Sandwiches, no burgers, no soups, no fries...

It's as if the new owners have decided summer customers don't matter. Only one employee seemed to get that servicematters - a wonderful lady up at that cafeteria. She called down to see why they still had outdated restaurant information on display. We could have stayed somewhere less expensive for the very average experience we had there. I understand new owners have taken over; if they want to compete in Park City, they will really need to kick it up several notches.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Grand Summit. I am so pleased to hear that "Housekeeping was prompt, rooms were clean" and that you enjoyed the view and gondola ride. Without question we live in a breathtakingly beautiful area.

I must apologize sincerely for the Front Desk not returning your call promptly. It is unfortunate that you should experience this during your vacation. We strive for prompt and accurate service at all times and we clearly failed to deliver during your visit.

I am also sorry to hear about the inconsistencies in our Resort offerings. I will be contacting the appropriate parties to correct these anomalies and I thank you so much for your feedback allowing us to prevent this from impacting other guests.

We do strive to provide the highest levels of service to all our guests and I must apologize that your experience did not meet our standards. The only way we can improve is from feedback such as yours and I must thank you for taking the time to share it with us. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to spend the time.

new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel located at the base of the mountain. There are so many summer activities to do so it is a great place to hit in any season. The hotel itself seems to be missing something, I cant really put my finger on it but the whole place seemed asleep. My room was very small but functional enough. there is a small gym that is nice and a nice little pool area (nothing special). I ate at "the farm" which had spectacular food and service. At night the whole hotel is shut down and not much to do. I heard there was a free shuttle into town but never saw it or was made aware of it by the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for review of the Grand Summit. We agree that scenery in the Park City area and at Canyons is breathtaking and we are very happy you enjoyed it. I am also pleased to hear that you experienced the new equipment in our Fitness Center as well as our pool. We are currently adding new pool furniture to enhance the area as well. As the Farm is our flagship restaurant I am so pleased to hear of your experience with our amazing staff and the "spectacular food and service."

Admittedly, our summer operation is very different than our winter offering. We do offer a free shuttle into town during the winter season, however, it is discontinued during summer. The city transit system is excellent and we rely on that to provide guest transportation into town in the summer.

I am happy to hear your enjoyed your time here and I would like to invite you back during winter to experience our full line of offerings at the resort. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We live in nearby Salt Lake City and needed to get away from the house for a week. My wife found a great deal by calling the Grand Summit which is a full service facility. We had a ski in ski out room. There was no snow when we got there so the skiing was marginal. At noon on that first day it started to dump and continued for five days. It was great. We had to buy better ski clothing to accomodate to quickly changing weather and we got a discount from a friends husband who work at the resort. The restaurants we tried were wonderful. One was under renovation but others were specatular. The Cabin is super. The help is great.

Room Tip: There is no predicting the weather or the amount of snow but this place can make any situation great...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
What an exceptional review of Canyons and The Grand Summit! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Without question, when the snow starts flying in Park City it becomes a truly magical place. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our ski experience and that you felt "this place can make any situation great." The dining at Canyons Resort is quickly becoming the talk of the town and I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourself in our outlets.

Our employees at Canyons Resort are some of the friendliest in the industry and I am pleased to hear your experience with all of them was exceptional. We are looking forward to a great ski season this coming winter and I am very excited for you and your family to join us again for a winter retreat. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was here for a business meeting with a group of colleagues. I somehow lucked out and got a studio suite with a full kitchen (yes!, regular size fridge and range) and a sitting room so the size of my room was great. Others in my group mentioned rooms the size of a shoebox. I had only a queen bed which is a negative, in my opinion and the bathtub/shower combo was so narrow that I kept knocking the shampoo off the shelf while washing my hair. And while others have complained about no hot water, I had just the opposite problem. I turned on the shower and had ONLY hot water. We called for maintenance and they came right away and took just a short time to fix it. Next morning - same problem. Water too hot to get into a shower. But then we figured it out. Run the COLD water for 10 minutes and eventually we'd get decent shower tempurature. I live with water restrictrictions in Texas and this seems so completely wasteful, I'm appalled. Another real negative is that services are really curtailed in the summer so only some restaurants are open and those that are offer extremely limited menus. The Farm is supposed to be an excellent restaurant on site and was open but while the service was great, the food was poor. A steak ordered cooked to medium was nearly mooing. The lamb was tough and bland. The location is too far from town to get to without a car and there didn't seem to be any regular transportation outside of the Canyons resort area. The area is breathtakingly beautiful, even in the summer so if you want to go just to chill and hike, probably a great option. If you want decent food, stay close to town.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite. Probably a nicer view in the back.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IDailey, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on Canyons Resort. I am sorry to hear that you found your accomodations to be unsatisfactory regarding your bed size, though I am pleased to hear the studio suited you well. We do offer studios with king beds, as well as queens, and I apologize that we are unable to meet your requests or desires. The hot water issue you experienced is completely unfortunate and I do know our Engineering teams were working to remedy this problem. I am very sorry to hear we were unable to mange this issue while you were on property.

With regard to your comment about our summer services, you are correct. We do, in fact, "curtail" some of our offerings in summer to meet occupancy demands while attempting to provide great experiences to our guests at the same time. I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the Farm as we are very proud of this outlet as one of our finest dining options. The Farm has received rave reviews locally and nationally and it is unfortunate that we could not provide an extraordinary experience to you.

I would love to invite you back to Canyons to experience truly wonderful service and accomodations. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you so much for your feedback and trust that I will share with the appropriate department heads.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the Canyons for a conference earlier this month. The rooms were nice and decently appointed. The suite we had would easily sleep 6 or more people, including the window benches and pull-out couches. The kitchen would work well for feeding little ones breakfast and lunch. The entire resort is designed to support families, and in that respect, the Canyons absolutely met all expectations. It's not a luxury resort, but it meets the needs of families quite well. As someone who does not have or travel with children, I found it to be a nice option. The service teams are excellent, and the spa is one of the best spa experiences that I have had in Park City. Definitely consider this option if you have children and are travelling with a family. The easy access to the mountain makes it very easy to keep all the kids busy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review of our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and found it to be appropriate for the needs of a family. We pride ourselves on creating a home away from home experience for our guests and I appreciate that you found this to be the case.

Thank you also for your very kind words about our "service teams" and our Spa staff. We are very proud of our employees here at Canyons Resort and we believe their service truly stands out in the industry.

Once again, thank you for the great feedback and we look forward to your return visit, either with your conference group or with your family!

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This may be a bit repetitive, as most know Canyons Resort is for families, primarily with little ones.....no issues, we can all share - but if you are looking for a snack, a drink, a meal, a fun time, LIFE, past 10pm here - forget it. Yes, Park City is a few miles down the road, but for a resort with so many locations, so many restaurants, so many people - it is unbelievable they do not cater to any living soul past 10pm.......the Euros I spoke with could not believe it either......you pay a lot of money to stay here, you pay a resort fee, you pay $16 a day to park......and there is ZERO service anywhere in this desolate, post 10pm ghost town............it's just sad......I know most are asleep, bur for those that aren't , it's sad...........btw - park in the gravel lots for free.....it's a 3 minute walk......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and your experience at the resort with us. I apologize that we were unable to meet your needs of an after hours experience here at Canyons while you were on property. We do take great pride in the many amenities our resort offers and we do appreciate and understand that the needs of our guests are diverse and all equally important.

I invite you to return during our winter season to witness the resort during our peak operating time and enjoy world class skiing and snowboarding. We truly appreciate your business and would be thrilled at the chance to provide a more appropriate experience for you. If you would like to discuss your stay with me further, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Canyons Resort

Been to Canyons Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!