“Fascinating museum for a fascinating town” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 20 Attractions in Park City
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Park City's history at the Park City Museum on Historic Main Street. Prospectors discovered silver in 1868 in the area that soon after became Park City. Mine owners made fortunes, while thousands of miners simply made a living. After silver prices declined, Park City reinvented itself as a ski resort town. Interactive displays tell the Park City story in an engaging manner. Fun for the whole family! Open 7 days a week (Mon-Sat 10-7, Sun 12-6).
Newton, Massachusetts, United States
“Fascinating museum for a fascinating town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

The Park City museum is one of the best museums I've been to. Most museums are interesting, but this one really stood out to me. The museum was very well-designed. I loved the movie at the front of the first room, and I loved all the artifacts and history I learned about throughout the museum.

Thanks to this museum, I think Park City is one of the most interesting towns in the western United States. Before I came here, I didn't realize there was so much history. I once thought it was just a touristy ski town, but I learned that there's so much more to it than that.

Another thing I loved about it was that they packed so much knowledge and history into a smaller space. I feel like this showed me that museums don't have to be big to be interesting.

Visited January 2012

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Free entry on a Tuesday in April”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Visited the museum with family on a Tuesday in April, not sure if free entry is available year-round. The museum looks a lot smaller from the entry on Main street than in actuality. Inside, has three floors and still looks new after renovations in 2009. Of particular interest were the original jail and mining tunnel car modified as a short-lived skier transport on the basement level. Opportunities to sit for rest to watch short films during the tour and a cute, affordable gift shop.

W. Jordan Ut
4 attraction reviews
“I love history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Its so fun to learn about historic park city and see the progression. The lady inside was so helpful and so nice.

Visited January 2012
Celebration Florida
9 attraction reviews
“Look Into the Past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

It is very well done and shows how Park City Started. You walk through the old jail and has a reproduction of an old country store.

Columbus, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Kid's loved it-Heck, we all did!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This place is great. So much history, really well-done for everyone involved including an impatient 8 and 11 year old. We loved the working mini-replica of the mine (2 stories tall). Many museum items were actual pieces from the mines, and the slopes, which my 11 year old picked up on right away. The basement jail really gave our ghost hunters some eerie moments. And I must say, the gifts in the museum gift shop were the best we saw in the city for variety and price. We came back and bought our kid's souvenirs there at the end of the day because nothing compared to what they saw there first (antique handcuffs and real gold-in-a-bottle).