“Historic lodge,scenic canyon,good food&service, plus a ski museum” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gray Cliff Lodge Restaurant

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Iowa
“Historic lodge,scenic canyon,good food&service, plus a ski museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Gray Cliff Lodge Inn was built in1912 and has been a fulltime restaurant since 1945. The historic dining room does remind one of your grandmothers antique-y, victorian parlor with white linen/lace tableclothes and lace curtains in the windows. Their large enclosed porch where we dined is lined with windows to view the beautiful canyon and wildlife. The 5 mile drive up Ogden canyon is very scenic. When we arrived very late after 9 on a weeknight, there was only one other group in the restaurant, so we had the place pretty much to ourselves, which was very enjoyable. The currently owner Jody was our waitress. She was very personable and told us several stories about the powder mountain ski area and locals she has known. Her husband Stephen is the chef.

We started off with a glass pinot noir &and a very good gin & tonic. They also had several local Utah beers available by the bottle. I was surprised by the number of courses that came with your entree. Tomato juice or fruit salad. Dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls. A dinner salad or homemade soup. Potatoes, wild rice or steamed vegetables. The butternut squash soup was tasty as was my dinner salad came with beets and homemade dressing.

For our entrees we ordered the loin lambchops with sage stuffing and the fresh mountain trout. My lambchops were flavorful & tender. Stephens sage stuffing was every bit as good as my grandmothers recipe. Jody skillfully hand filleted the trout at our table. Our brocolli was cooked perfectly au dente. For our deserts we chose the carrot cake and the oatmeal pie. I liked the oatmeal pie best; alot like pecan pie but with walnuts & oatmeal.

Just off the restaurant entryway was combination bar and ski museum. It's walls were lined with skis ranging from wooden skis more than 100 years old at one end to modern skis at the other. On our way out we met their friendly and well mannered dog. They said it was a Kai, a relatively rare dog from Japan. It had a dense thick textured fur, huge paws & a tail that curly-qued up over it's lower back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington Terrace, Utah, United States
“Gray Food for our Anniversary Dinner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were looking for a place to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. There aren't many fine dining options in Ogden. As we were on our way out the door, I remembered the many times I had passed by the Gray Cliff Lodge in Ogden Canyon. I called and they were very nice and said they could accommodate us.

I was not impressed by the decor. It just looked old, cluttered and worn out. We were seated next to a window where we had a great view of the canyon. My wife was very impressed by all of the courses that were included with dinner. You had the choice of a fruit cup or tomato juice for the pre course. We both had the fruit cup. When it arrived I was appalled at the sight of it. Gray looking, canned fruit cocktail with orange sherbet on top and a club cracker on the side.

We ordered a half order of deep fried mushrooms to start. When they arrived the breading was soggy even though the mushrooms were piping hot. I had to coat them in ranch to make the palletable.

Our salads came out wilted and soggy. Some of the greens and gray and brown spots on the edges.

For an entree my wife had the trout and garlic shrimp. I had an 8 oz filet and fried oysters. Unfortunately the soggy mushrooms came out after our entree order was placed. I knew when my fried oysters arrived I had to eat them quick, because nothing is worse than a soggy fried oyster. Sadly they were very soggy. My filet was not very appetizing to look at. It didn't have a good sear on it and the bacon around the outside was totally gray. Yes, dishwater gray sad looking bacon. When I cut into the steak it was cooked well done. I ordered it to be cooked medium. A steak should never be cooked well done. My wife enjoyed the trout, she said it seemed fresh. However, her garlic shrimp were freezer burnt and had a weird texture to them. Our baked potatoes were totally incinerated.

So when the waitress came out to take our order for desert. We were totaling expecting the worst. As she listed the items I tried to find the safest item. I ordered banana cream pie and wife ordered carrot cake. The pie lacked flavor and the carrot cake had a really strong pineapple and citrus flavor. We decided to go into town and get a real desert.

Throughout the meal, I kept hoping that Robert Irvine or Gordon Ramsay would show up to perform a restaurant makeover. They need it badly. Calling your dining experience "fine dining" and serving canned and frozen food should be a crime. We decided not to complain and get new food because nothing save the trout was fresh.

The service was nice but it was a little confusing being served by 5 different people. I didn't know who our waitress was. We racked our brains trying to remember a meal that was worse than this one. In our decade and a half together, we have never had a worse meal.

I didn't expect the food at the Gray Cliff Lodge to literally be gray. I have better had steaks at Sizzler and better oysters and shrimp at Chinese buffets. We paid way too much for the old, unfresh food we received at Gray Cliff. I apologized to my wife and she said, "at least it will be an anniversary dinner we will always remember". Thank you for making our anniversary dinner memorable for all of the wrong reasons. Good thing a local ice cream shop salvaged the night.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wonderful Atmosphere mediocre food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The setting is charming and the staff was fine. I fully expected the food to be excellent, but overall it was a disappointment. The filet mignon/halibut combination dinner arrived with the fish overcooked and the beef just better than average. The resteraunt was happy to make a prime rib/crab leg combo which was not on the menu. The prime rib was excellent, however the crab legs were cool, tough, and rather tasteless. Really disappointing for such an expensive menu item. Our dinner was topped off with coffee (both caf and decaf) that looked like tea and tasted like water.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best trout ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Fresh food, the owner Jody is very personable and it's a unique dining experience. The setting is very romantic and special- great treat!

Visited January 2013
Eden, Utah
“Lousy Food, Stiff Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Based on other reviews here we took our son and his wife from Houston, TX to this restaurant during Christmas as a special experience. We were expecting a charming atmosphere with better than average food - what we got was very subpar food at a premium price and ambience is simply old and worn out - not charming. The service was efficient but felt really stiff and unwelcoming. I ordered halibut which came out greasy and flavorless (I'm not even sure it was actually halibut). Two in our party ordered chicken dishes which were passable. The forth meal was a fillet which might as well come from a very cheap diner.

When will people in the Ogden area learn that they have a right to expect good food when they're paying a premium price? The local restaurants that have so much potential, like the Grey Cliff, dish out the most disappointing fare and people here still line up out the door as though they're in for a treat. Wise up folks and demand better food for your money.

• Visited December 2012