“Navajo Tacos a must” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Goulding's Stagecoach Dining Room

Goulding's Stagecoach Dining Room
1000 Lodge Road, Goulding's Lodge, Monument Valley, UT 84536 (Formerly Stagecoach Dining Room)
435-727-3231
Dining options: Reservations
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
“Navajo Tacos a must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

When you are staying at Goulding's, you must eat at the Stagecoach Dining Room. It is part of the total experience. The views are great, the people wonderful, and the food is very good. This trip we ate dinner and breakfast here. You must have Navajo Tacos which are basically tacos served on delicious fry bread. My family also found that fry bread with honey was a not-to-miss treat. The breakfast was really delicious. The people and atmosphere are everything.

Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
“Pretty limited to dining options around here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Since we stayed here, we were limited to dining here since there weren't any options nearby.

We had dinner and breakfast. The prices were a bit higher than what you'd expect for the type of food you're getting.

For dinner, we went for the unlimited soup and salad bar option ($12.99 per person) as by this time in our vacation, we were dying for some veggies. The salad bar was very small so you were pretty limited to what's available. Also annoying was the tiny plates they used so you had to keep getting up very often to get more. The soup the day we ate there was beef noodle. We closed the meal with a carrot cake ($5.50).

los angeles
“Food ok without being very fresh, nice views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is the Goulding's Lodge's restaurant, with great views on Monument valley. The food overall is too expensive for its quality. One stop at the salad bar without soup costs $7 but it is a small plate with salad and other ingredients that is not extremely fresh. The fruit is way overdue, smelling of spoiled fruit salad. The hot food is ok to feed you but does not look extremely fresh. The soup is very thick on the flour side and heavy on the stomach. The service is courteous. Options are quite limited in Monument Valley.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Graham, Washington
“Average at best, but you're trapped for dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Having said the above, there are good things to say. The waiter/esses are excellent and really seem to care you are enjoying yourself. The downside, the food is mundane. Salad bar had not been kept up and the lettuce,etc was old. I had the Navajo Taco and found it very bland, basically a Taco Bell salad on excellent Indian Fry Bread.

Breakfast was standard fair, extremely expensive for what you got. As others have pointed out, if you're eating here, you're probably staying at goulding's, so suck it up and enjoy it for what it is. It won't ruin your trip.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“BBQ Ribs served in 15 minutes?? How Suspicious!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

To start with if you are eating in the Stagecoach Dinning Room, the chances are you are staying in the Goulding's Lodge. There is not much choice in this neck of the wood. The menu is simple fare, very hearty and rustic. There are some local dishes, like Navajo fried bread, otherwise, it is burgers, fried chicken, prawn cocktails. The price are the same as a bistro or restro in DC. It does not make an impression on me with the food.

The first night I ordered a chicken salad and added some prawns in it. The portion was huge. My companion ordered a steak. Frankly, it was neither here or there.

I dined twice there, even though the second night I drove out to other town nearby to look for food, but no way of finding any, as there was a snow storm, most of the other small motels and restaurants let go of their staffs early!! Ended up drove back to Stagecoach for anotherdinner. The second night I ordered a baby ribs, and my companion ordered fried chicken. My ribs were served within 15 minutes, I was wondering how did that happen?? You surely cannot cook it in such a short time. My first bite tells me that the rib was either poached first or it has been used to make soup first and then re-use for the entrée, then grilled it or put it into the oven. It was smeared with a thick layer of BBQ sauce. By that point, I am already staving and had no energy to change it. In any case, where else would I go, no where else was open!! Food that are not cook from scratch on the spot rarely is good food. I think the restaurant is in a position that they don't have to improve on their quality of food and would still has customers. The lodge serves large tour group even in low season. When I was there, there were groups of Japanese tourists and some FIT (frequent individual travelers) even in low season. If I were the Executive Chef there, I would look into improving the quality of the food. The staffs are friendly. Though the first night when I asked for balsamic vinegar to go with my salad, I was told there was none. I told her to go and ask the kitchen, there must be balsamic vinegar somewhere in a restaurant, right??

Having said all the above, it has the best buttermilk pancake for breakfast. I love breakfast there.

I will let you be the judge yourself.

• Visited February 2013