“Worth The Money” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Navajo Owned and Operated touring Company, Offering Private, Scenic, Cultural excursions into Monument Valley and the Surrounding area.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Worth The Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was the absolute best money I ever spent on vacation. My guide, Clint, was outstanding. He led me on a photographer's tour into the back country of Monument Valley, off the beaten path. He was a fountain of information about the area. But what impressed me most was his genuine interest in seeing to it that I got the pictures I was looking for. If you got to Monument Valley, look up Clint and the folks at Monument Valley Safari!

Tucson, Arizona
34 attraction reviews
“It was outstanding; and it was barely adequate....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had done extensive research on the various tours and everything I read indicated that Monument Valley Safari offered an outstanding tour. I coordinated with Nate beforehand. I told him we were four seniors and while we could do some hiking, climbing hills or anything really strenuous would not be for us. I also indicated that if the weather was cool or nasty we would prefer a closed vehicle. Nate suggested that he thought we would enjoy the Lower Monument Valley morning tour and the Sunset Mystery Valley Tour in the afternoon. I asked about the guide and Nate assured me that since we were booking a full day tour, we would have a senior guide and he would be with us all day. Nate also knew we wanted to be able to get sunset pictures. The morning tour was outstanding. Our guide was Clint - he was extremely knowledgeable. He stopped at different locations, providing us with background, history, etc - suggested picture sites and suggested going to B&W versus color when appropriate. I got some great pictures. Clint wasn't looking at his watch - he wanted you to love this tour and the place and we did. But the afternoon was another story; we went out at 3:30 with a younger guide; not the same senior guide we were promised. He came in the same open Safari truck and we traveled a distance going at higher speeds to get to Mystery Valley within his time constraints. The ride to and from Mystery Valley in the open truck was very windy - bring a scarf to cover your nose and mouth so you do not inhale all the dust since the vehicle is going very fast - a closed vehicle would have been appropriate. And while our guide was pleasant and provided information, answered all questions asked - you felt he was not nearly as knowledgeable as Clint and he had a schedule to keep. We did not get any sunset pictures because he was watching the clock. Also, he took us to locations that would have been great if we were 25 years younger - for the most part all we could do is look from a distance because it was too difficult or dangerous a climb for us. We are all active - still hiking - not strenuous or steep hikes. My husband did climb up to one of the dwellings and it was scary going up and down. Our afternoon guide did not seem to have the expertise that I would have expected related to either the cliff dwellings or the petroglyphs he took us to see or the sensiblity of how to deal with older visitors. Maybe if we were first timers to see cliff dwellings and petroglyphs we wouldn't have known any better, but we have been to a number of sites before this. It was not a good afternoon.... and that explains my rating. Our morning was outstanding the afternoon not. Be sure to bring water to drink; they do not provide any and wear a hat and bring sunscreen. A walking stick could help over the uneven terrain for both tours; it is a steep entry into the safari vehicle and no stool is provided to step up or down from/to the vehicle. Mystery Valley is not a tour for mature visitors; great for those with children, active adults (not seniors even if active) and those who are unfamiliar with cliff dwellings and petroglyphs.

Atlanta, Georgia
“They know Monument Valley inside out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The tour we took was with Duffy. He was so informative and proud Navajo!! Not only do you enjoy beautiful scenery, but you also learn their history and cultures. Duffy also knows where and how to take the best pictures. Before the trip, I did some research to make a request so I could see what I wanted to see.., and it turned out to be meaningless. Of course he knows better than any other resources and shows you every bit of the park. We SO enjoyed his tour. We highly recommend the company!

Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
“Absolute worth every penny! A must for anyone visiting Monument Valley!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband & I took the Safari tour and Clint was our guide. He was fantastic! We not only learned about the mesas/formations, but he also gave us insight on the ways of the Navajo Nation. He took us to Susie's home where her daughter showed us how the Navajo's weave rugs. I would highly recommend Clint and Nate Holiday's tours. Their website is very informative and gives you everything you need to choose the tour that's right for you.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Light chasing with our guide Clint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had the best guide for our Monument Valley safari. Clint was so informative about the native customs of the Navajo people. He was pleasant and patient and answered all our questions in detail. We went back into the restricted area that can only be accessed with a Navaho guide. It was more than worth the price!! Clint did everything to make our experience one will never forget. He even played us a song on his flute as we sat in the "Hidden Arch". Beautiful! As he was giving us all the history of the land, he also explained the customs and traditions of his people. He not only took us to the most breath taking fabulous places to take pictures, but he also coached us on exactly HOW to shoot each picture...even to the point of leaning over our shoulder and adjusting the camera for us. Our pictures were as good as any professional. Once the sun started to set, Clint took off and we began LIGHT CHASING. It was amazing! He had the timing down exactly to get to each photo op and just in the perfect timing for the light to be hitting the valley. We will be back for sure...and will ask for Clint to be our personal light chaser again! I can't imagine anyone being any better than he was. Great job, Clint!!! Nate is lucky to have you!