“Pricey but well worth it” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Monument Valley Air and Jeep Tour
Gosport, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Pricey but well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Advise taking the Navajo guide and transport down into the 17 mile valley road, as although they do not say so, this dirt road is only really suitable for 4 wheel drive and high clearance vehicles –you risk a saloon or hire car at your peril! Navajo guided trip is expensive but well worth it –lots of local information and they drive deep into the valley where the public cannot go.

Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
rome
13 attraction reviews
“Watch out, John Wayne is around the corner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

When I was a kid, I use to watch on TV with my parents all those great cow boys movies and John Wayne was obviously among the most popular representatives of the Far West times. I swore to myself that one day I would definitely visit Monument Valley that I always found some kind of magic in several movies such as "the Searchers" or "she wore a Yellow ribbon". Last June, we went to visit Monument Valley; we stayed at the view Hotel and even if the room rate is definitely overpriced, it is really worth it to spend a night there in order to experience the quietness of a night in Monument Valley and to attend the sunset and the sunrise; Sunrise was just delightfull: the light coming out behind the famous East and West Mitten Buttes and the quietness created a very unique atmosphere and even thow all the residents of the Hotel were on their balcony to attend the sunrise, nobody was interupting the magic of the moment with talks. We were 2 couples so we shared the room and therefore its price fee. We also walked around one of the 2 Mitten Buttes: the trail is very easy and takes really no more than 2 hours walk at a normal pace; we are not "trekkers", we just like walking and one of the member of our group is aged 65 and had no issue in completing the trail; all you need is to bring enough water (we brought around 2,5 liters per person) and a hat and to start the trail very early in the morning or late in the afternoon (we started at 17h00 and were back to the hotel at around 19h00). You also register at the rangers station located on the basement of the View hotel so that they know you are out there :-) as you also need to check in when back from your trail. At last, I would also suggest you to organise a guided tour with a Navajo Guide. It's really worth it. However, in order to be abble to choose amoung various guided tour operators and their programmes, I would recommend you STOP at the Monument Valley Navajo tribal park premises located at the I163 and Monument valley road Junction, prior to entering the Navajo park itself: the entrance of the Navajo park is located 1/4 of a mile ahead on the Monument Valley road and once you are in the park and have paid the 10 or 15$ entrance fee (i can't recall the exact fare), you are on the view hotel parking lot were only ONE tour operator is avaible meaning not much alternatives in terms of programmes and no competition to drive down a little bit the tarifs!! In case you wish to return to the Monument Valley Navajo tribal park premises to select another tour operator, you would have to pay again the park entrance if you stay at the view Hotel...If you do not stay at the view Hotel, then I suspect the park entrance fee would be paid by the guided tour operator. We did a 5 hours tour in a van with AC (avoid the open deck van because your tour could be really ruined by all the sand and dust you would eat thru the tour) including a visit to the classic Monument Valley and Mystery Valley and its Arches. After negotiation, the tarif per person for a 5 hours tour in an AC Van with the Tour Operator located on the View hotel parking lot was 108$.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
“Worth the trip, take a tour (even though it's expensive!!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Monument Valley is so famous it needs no introduction. The dirt roads are pretty awful. We were in a hire car (sports 4x4) and initially attempted the drive but the condition of the road was so poor we turned around. It was extremely bumpy and rough. It improves a little after the initial section but not much!!

Taking a tour is expensive, but not as expensive as wrecking your car. We took a three hour tour with the tour company in the parking lot by the hotel. It was still pretty bumpy but had the advantages:
1. The driver of our hire car (me) was not completely stressed out by the road. I could actually sit back and enjoy the experience.
2. You are able to visit areas in the park that self-drives cannot. We found these the most interesting.
3. We learned a lot about the park and the Navajo people from our tour guide.

If I could horseback ride I think this would have been another good option. The view from the parking lot over the valley is also great if you are pushed for time/really can't drive or afford a tour.

Visited August 2013
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
“Dream come true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The first time I saw Monument valley was from m flight from San francisco to Arkansas for my job at Walmart. From the plan I saw huge golden rocks standing up in the golden desert with no signs of civilization in sight. I made myself a promise, I will find out what place this is and will visit. I researched and found out it was The Monument Valley! I booked a flight to Albuquerque with a buddy rented a Jeep on thanksgiving and drove all the way to this majestic place.

I was Stunned to see the multi colored rocks and how well they are preserved and the shadows in the sunset giving the desert a look like mars, but with a touch of ancient Indian civilizations. Be sure to visit near by Four Corners and Mesa Verde, Forest Gump sign (Where he stops running)! and the Mexican Hat

Visited December 2012
New York
44 attraction reviews
“Beautiful scenery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had the 2.5 hours Jeep tour and love it. Don't remember the name of the company, but Sam, the driver seems too quiet. Well, it doesn't bother me as the purpose of the tour is to take photos. Maybe I was at Arches National Park before Monument Valley. I found Arches has much more to see.

Visited November 2013