“Not good ...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Monticello
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
“Not good ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staff was extremely helpful and friendly and our room was good, clean and comfortable except the bed was old and woke up with a sore back. Now for the rest: The pool was horrible - clean but surface was peeling and pool area was used for storage, hot tub was covered over with wood but handrails still there, dirty towels all over floor but no clean ones, when we passed the laundry room there were literally mounds of dirty linens etc. piled and up all over the floor in total disarray like they had just been thrown in there. Breakfast was horrible, 2 gallons of milk in the icebox and when removed the icebox was dirty, powdered creamer only - no half-n-half, only thing offered were carbs - waffles, toast, bagels, some muffins and sm. pastries, cerial, cartons of orange juice, coffee. Was not a pleasing presentation at all, only 3 small tables and chairs with a larger fold-up table. Walls had been patched but not painted throughout the facility an carpet was shabby, old. All in all we paid only $8.00 less than the Comfort Inn and it was 100% worse. We won't be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryanna V, Marketing Representative at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jaque,

On behalf of A&B Hotels, I would like to extend my personal apology for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel.

I am truly sorry your travel was adversely affected by our service failure. Please know that within the industry, we have earned a solid reputation for our commitment to operational integrity. To that end, each guest response is thoroughly reviewed to prevent a similar occurrence.

It is our goal to provide exceptional service on every occasion, and I hope you will provide us with an opportunity to restore your confidence. Your support is important to A&B Hotels, our Franchiser Choice Hotels. We look forward to your continued patronage.

Bryanna V.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Before staying at this property I read the reviews here and many mentioned full trash bins. I then also read the explanation that this was the case during graduation week when they were "short on staff". Well, my visit was in the middle of June and the first thing I noticed when I parked in front of the hotel were totally full trash bins. Same thing in the main lobby. Not a good first impression.

Check-in was fine, friendly, was assigned the room I requested. The room was OK, it was old, worn out, out-dated in decor, but reasonably clean.

Went to use the pool. The experience was the same as with the room - old, worn out, but it was not dirty, which was important. The hot tub was covered and appeared to be shut down permanently.

I slept well, the traffic from the main street was not bothersome.

The continental breakfast was suppose to start at 6:30, I arrived at 6:35 and there was aboslutely no food, no coffee, nothing! Only about 10 guests waiting ... There was nobody at the front desk. Several of the guests, including me, rang the bell on the counter, where it said "ring for service". Nothing happened.
Only after 15 or 20 minutes did a girl appear from behind, totally confused, sleepy and disorganized. Apparently, that's what she sad, the "breakfast girl" didn't show up at all. She and another boy, who also appeared from behind, then slowly started bringing some food items.

It was now 7 am and I was in a hurry, so I told her I was leaving and asked for a partial refund for the unprovided breakfast. She agreed and refunded 50% of my room rate. The latter was a fair apology.

All in all, if you don't really have to, don't stay here. There must be better options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Slo-Lju,

On behalf of A&B Hotels, I would like to extend my personal apology for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of the absent staff and the outer appearance of the hotel.

I am truly sorry your travel was adversely affected by our service failure. Every morning staff empties the trash bins. We are working on constantly check the trash bins to ensure it will not overflow.

We value you as a customer and sincerely appreciate your support.

Bryanna
Evergreen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our room # was 111 and after a long day we arrived at the hotel.I entered the room and sat down on the chair and saw the door with a peep hole half way up the door.My first thought was his must be a kids room...The refrigerator was broke....Then I went into the bathroom I could not find the light switch, I Finally found it outside the bathroom and it was very low....and the shower head was about 5 feet tall ....We booked our room in advance and I think the staff could of asked us if we wanted a room like that...In all my travels,I have never been in a room like that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Roselle, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

First of all, the room that we had reserved (4 people traveling needed 2 beds) was not the room we were originally given by the property manager(Tim and his wife Kathy); we were given a room with 1 bed. So we had to move to another room with 2 beds.

We had to wait in the lobby to get into the 2 bed room because the cleaning staff did;t bother to show up that day and the room was not cleaned. The next room we were placed in had a refridgerator that had been shut off with the door of the unit closed. Any fridge that is shut off needs to have the door of the unit open or mold and bacteria will grow. Needless to say the smell of the unit was absolutely putrid so we had to contact Tim again to get another fridge which they provided us.

Next, after checking in, we went out to an event that evening and upon returning were unable to access our rooms with the keys we were given, Tim also could not open our room door with the keys he had so he had to climb up a ladder from the outside of the building to open the door to our room since there were no keys available on the property to open our door.

This meant that upon getting up that morning, we had to move our baggage to another room with a door we could not only lock but get back into with a key since there were no keys to get into the room we were sleeping in. We had to leave the door of the room we were sleeping in unlocked in order to get back in it when we returned from a day of sightseeing. When we returned that evening, the cleaning staff had closed the door and locked us out of our room, at least we didn't have any valuables in the room we needed but since there were still no keys on the property that would open the door to our room, Tim had to call a lock smith.

Since the room our bags were in did not have 2 beds( it was the original room that Tim & Kathy had tried to put our group of 4 in) my wife and I stayed in that room and the 2 people traveling with us had to be placed in another room.

Locksmith was not able to get the 2nd room we were placed in open until the next day about the time we were checking out. Fortunately nothing of value was left in that room that had been locked by the cleaning staff.

Also, the pool and hot tub on this property do not work and have not worked for weeks. Why this information is not updated in the Rodeway Inn online guide I cannot understand. Since our stay had been such a disaster, Tim agreed to write off the entire balance of our charges.

When I returned home and reviewed my credit card statement, I noticed that the charges were not "written off:" and were included in my June 2013 statement. Upon reviewing it I called the property and neither Tim nor Kathy were on sight; strange that neither was on the property in the middle of a weekday afternoon. So I contacted my credit card company to dispute the charge that never should have appeared on my statement.

Please save yourself headaches and wasted time. Do not stay here. Tim & Kathy are nice people but this place is run worse than Youth Hostels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this location. It needs alot of work.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bryanna V, Marketing Representative at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Mark K.,

First and foremost thank you for choosing to stay with us. We strive to provide each guest excellent service.

We apologize for any inconveniences you endured during your stay. We are surprised to hear that such an event had occurred at the property. We will make sure this does not happen to any future guests. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We hope you will provide us with an opportunity to restore your confidence.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The woman at the counter was very helpful but needed some assistance. It appeared she was doing every job all by herself. The facilities were shabby and worn and the air conditioning did not keep the room cool at all. Insufficient breakfast facilities to handle the guests. If staying in Monticello, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Room was clean, comfortable beds, quiet. Pet friendly hotel, $10 per pet (she only charged me for one) breakfast was decent. Waffles, yogurt, coffee, juice, cereal, bagels, pastries. We did my use the indoor pool. Friendly staff. Would stay again

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for you personal lodging needs. We greatly appreciate the feedback. We are pleased you took advantage of our breakfast and our indoor pool.

We are a pet friendly hotel and are glad you were able to enjoy the time you spent at our hotel with your beloved pet.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Because we were visiting Arches on Memorial Day weekend, we knew rates would be high in Moab so we decided to stay in Monticello. Based on reviews here I was only expecting average. However, I could NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.
First off, the trash cans were overflowing outside the doors of the hotel. For that reason alone we got on the phone to call for a different place in Blanding or Cortez, but to no avail. BTW cell phone coverage is sketchy in the whole town.
We ended up staying here. The door to the laundry room was kept open the whole time we were there; dirty towels and sheets were piled everywhere, noone working in there at all.
We could see thhe pool was SO dirty on the bottom we did not even walk in there.
We checked our beds and linens for dirt (and other) and found them to be clean--hence the only reason why I gave two stars instead of one.
WE could not use the air conditioner due to the smell of it, thank goodness we had screens in our window so we could open them and it wasn't too hot.
I hate to see the disintegration of America's small towns, but I would not recommend this hotel or Monticello to anyone due to the lack of facilities and cleanliness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
RodewayGM, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
We apologize for the inconveniences your family endured during your stay with us. Our goal is to provide a clean and welcoming environment for all. I am surprised that you had those issues; we have new mattresses, new carpets, and we have flat screen TVs in almost every room. We keep our properties very clean and in compliant with Choice Hotels Standards. Our pool is cleaned regularly by professionals and checked by the health department every month. We have a professional Pest Control Company visit frequently to keep pests out of the property. We value our guest and keep our property very clean.

Under our laundry chute we have a very large basket used to catch the laundry and transport it to the washers. There was a day last week when one of the housekeepers moved the basket and forgot to return it--that sure was a mess to clean up! I apologize you were subjected to that and assure you it is not a regular occurance at our property.

We'd love to have to stay again in the future and give us a chance to raise ourselves in your eyes.

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!