“A Disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Boar Inn and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Midway
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
St. George, Utah
“A Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

After hearing about this award-winning restaurant for years, we decided to make a reservation and give it a try. The place is very quaint and definitely has an old-fashioned inn ambiance.
We ordered sparkling wine and were pleasantly surprised when they were served with a generous orange twist that gave the bubbly a wonderful aroma.
The amuse bouche was a fried elk ravioli. Not a lover of game, I passed mine off to my husband who LOVES game and he said it was just OK.
I ordered sea scallops with a beet salad as an appetizer. The scallops were cooked to perfection. The orange beets were served with mixed greens and herbs. I was happy. My husband ordered the "made on premises" gravlax and he gave it a thumbs up.
The disappointment started with the main courses. I ordered the Chilean sea bass which was recommended by the waitress. It was slightly overcooked (not enough to send it back) and was served with tons of grape tomatoes that were halved and rock shrimp. All of that was served over flavorless pappardelle pasta. The entire dish was then swimming in butter. Totally unremarkable and bland. Short on the promised basil and garlic.
My husband's entree was also disappointing. Sliced lamb which was actually rather plain (served with a pistachio gremolata and hard to find roasted red peppers) and served over a lack-luster risotto.
I was looking forward to ending the meal with a special european dessert and was disappointed in the offerings: creme brule, a cheesecake, chocolate mousse cake, lemon sorbet or vanilla ice cream topped with espresso. These are desserts served at any mid-scale restaurant.
On the plus side, all of the servers were very polite and friendly.
My disappointments were eased a bit at the front door, when leaving I was offered the most wonderful european-style cookies. I shamelessly took more than one and nibbled on them in the car on the way home while wishing they had offered desserts as special as the cookies.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Cool Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just go eat here. GREAT PLACE. No idea why such an amazing restaurant is up in Midway but it is.

Visited March 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Fabulous Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We love the sevice of the Inn. The rooms are wonderful and cozy and very clean. The inn keeper is a dear man who visits guests at breakfast to make sure their stay is pleasant. I don't know many in keepers that do that. The food is our favorite part, always delicious and you will not leave hungry. The portion sizes are perfect. We love the Blue Boar and will continue to go every year whenever we can!

Visited March 2012
Park City, Utah
“WILL be back! GREAT food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Kathy, our server, was GREAT! She knew so much about the history of the antiques as well as helpful recommendations with food.The food was on cue. I had the Sea bass and it was cooked perfectly. I'm from the west coast next to the water and refuse to eat seafood in Utah. I'm happy I tried it at Blue Boar, they did NOT overcook the fish like 90% of the places I've been to. It was perfect.
Definitely recommending this gem to others!

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great breakfast and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We didnt have the pleasure of staying here, but we did have breakfast here everyday while in Midway. We had the pleasure of meeting the innkeeper. We also got a tour of the place and the rooms are just so cute and well decorated. Love the fireplaces and beds in each room. I must say that we regretted that we werent staying with them, at least we started the day with pleasant service. Definately, we will stay during our next trip!

Visited January 2012